daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #221
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

What exactly is the Busan Newport railway?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #222
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Check out this article:
http://www.koreaherald.com/national/...20100622000756

Quote:
Busan New Port opened its major facilities including three container terminals, 11 berths and one multi-purpose industrial site on Tuesday, advancing its goal to grow into a regional shipping and logistics hub.

The city, which has the nation’s largest seaport, began constructing a new one in 1995 to cope with growing logistics demand and tougher global competition.

Containers are transported by 2.92 kilometer-long railway directly connecting Busan New Port and Noksan Station outside of the port area for ground transportation.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #223
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
What exactly is the Busan Newport railway?

Busan New Port Railway

Busan New Port Railway is for transporting freights and containers from Busan New Port to the various places via Gyeongbu and Gyeongjeong Line.
  • Length : 38.8km
  • Route : Busan New Port - Hallimjeong
  • Double Track
  • It will begin operation in 30 November 2010, and electrification will be completed next year.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #224
dawntraveler

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Airline battles KTX threat on Busan route

First Day of Gyeongbu HSR 2nd Phase Commercial Operation (November. 1)

I am very curious about the increase in daily ridership for the KTX after its second phase opened. The original ridership is lower than expected. I wonder that with shorter traveling time and higher quality on the new opened Daegu to Busan, how many passengers would like to change their transportation from cars or airplanes to KTX ? Is there any statistic data recorded since Nov.1 ?
dawntraveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #225
mccol

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawntraveler View Post
I am very curious about the increase in daily ridership for the KTX after its second phase opened. The original ridership is lower than expected. I wonder that with shorter traveling time and higher quality on the new opened Daegu to Busan, how many passengers would like to change their transportation from cars or airplanes to KTX ? Is there any statistic data recorded since Nov.1 ?

For Ulsan domestic Airport , its reported that the airplane passengers to Seoul Gimpo fell down by 33.9 %.

It took only 20 mins between Ulsan to Daegu by KTX railway where it takes 1 hr and 20 mins by express bus.
This is even shorter to go around in the Ulsan City , from Ulsan beach to downtown of Ulsan City where it takes about 40-50 mins by car.
mccol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #226
ruready1000

Quote:

Quote:
이달 들어 KTX 경부선 이용객은 하루 평균 11만 천여명.

개통 전에 비해 13% 증가했습니다.

KTX로 승객이 몰리면서 항공 업계는 울상입니다.

항공기 이용객인 김포-울산 노선은 34%, 김포-포항 노선은 10% 줄었습니다.

source
According to this article, the average daily passengers on KTX Gyeongbu Line this month are about 111,000, a 13% increase from last month.
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #227
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Damn. Korea looks insanely beautiful.. Gotta take a rail trip around the country soon.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #228
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
I will never understand people who could choose airplane from Daejeon to Seoul for example despite 55 min train ride. Airports are far from city center compared to Seoul station, luggage, check in etc. etc. What a hell.

I hope railway will win
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #229
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
I will never understand people who could choose airplane from Daejeon to Seoul for example despite 55 min train ride. Airports are far from city center compared to Seoul station, luggage, check in etc. etc. What a hell.

I hope railway will win
I think you made a mistake. There's been no airport in Daejeon, so no flight from/to Daejeon. Instead there were flights from/to Daegu before the introduction of KTX, but KTX killed the Gimpo - Daegu routes completely.
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #230
ruready1000

Video Clip about Gyeongjeon Line

Quote:
The Gyeongjeon Line (Gyeongjeonseon) is a railway line serving South Gyeongsang and South Jeolla Provinces in South Korea. It covers a total of 324.8 km, from Samnangjin Station in Miryang, South Gyeongsang, to Gwangju·Songjeong Station in Gwangju, South Jeolla.

Gyeongjeon Line (wikipedia)

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #231
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

A very nice feature, thank you. I especially liked the portion focusing on the activities at Hoengcheon Station. Interestingly, the Chinese characters for this place name, 横川, is the same as a station in Japan- Yokokawa Station in Gunma Prefecture. I assume the town the station serves is located alongside or near a river.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; December 1st, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM   #232
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

A very nice feature, thank you. I especially liked the portion focusing on the activities at Hoengcheon Station.
The people working at Hoengcheon Station is actually a honorary station agent. He visits the unstaffed station regularly and does some maintenance or improvement works with rail-fan members. If you're interested in, visit his blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

Interestingly, the Chinese characters for this place name, 横川, is the same as a station in Japan- Yokokawa Station in Gunma Prefecture. I assume the town the station serves is located alongside or near a river.
I didn't know that there was 横川駅 in Japan , even though I know some other stations which have the same chinese character such as 江南駅 or 水原駅.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM   #233
ruready1000

Video Clip about Gyeongjeon Line 2

Quote:
The Gyeongjeon Line (Gyeongjeonseon) is a railway line serving South Gyeongsang and South Jeolla Provinces in South Korea. It covers a total of 324.8 km, from Samnangjin Station in Miryang, South Gyeongsang, to Gwangju·Songjeong Station in Gwangju, South Jeolla.

Gyeongjeon Line (wikipedia)

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #234
ruready1000

Korail Released Applications for iTunes and Android

Quote:
Korail launched applications for iTunes and Android today.
  • Booking a ticket : You can check train schedule and seats available. And you can book, pay and issue a ticket.
  • Discount Tickets : You can book discount tickets such as companion seats, business rooms.
  • History of Booking : You can check history of booking-tickets and pay and issue these tickets.
  • Checking and Returning a ticket : You can check issued tickets and , when available, return issued tickets to Korail.
  • My Information : You can check history of your usage and pre-register credit card and discount card.
  • Finding the nearest station : You can find the nearest station using GPS and Augmented Reality.

* iTunes App especially provides Alarm function that inform you of train arrival/depature time.( iOS 4.0 or later)

source

You can download apps from http://m.korail.com/mo/index.html
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #235
ruready1000

KTX to Masan will begin its service from 15th of December

Quote:
Gyeongjeon KTX

KTX service from Seoul to Masan is slated to start on December 15, 2010, with a travel time of 2 hours 55 minutes. There will be 14 daily trains on weekdays and 24 on weekends. The service is to be extended to Jinju by 2012, and may cover the entire line after further upgrades under the government's 2010 plan for 2020.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyeongjeon_Line

News clip : KTX to Masan test run
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #236
ruready1000

Historic railway line chugs on into history

Quote:
December 09, 2010

A train makes its way along the Gyeongchun Line, which will be replaced by a new subway line of the same name on Dec. 21. The historic train line, which runs from Cheongyangni Station in Seoul to Chuncheon Station, brings back fond memories for many Koreans, who once traveled it on college trips. The new line will cut the travel time between the two cities by 30 minutes. By Kim Sang-seon

Kim June-nam, 48, a businessman, gets sentimental thinking back to his college days and the train to Chuncheon Station.

“Some of my best memories were on that train,” he said. “I even met my first college sweetheart there.”

For many Koreans, the Gyeongchun Line, which goes from Cheongyangni Station to Chuncheon Station, brings back fond memories. For decades, Chuncheon was the most popular place for orientation trips for college freshmen. That first college trip to Chuncheon signaled the beginning of life for the next few years and helped them get acquainted with their fellow classmates.

College students flocked to Daeseong-ri, Cheongpyeong and Gapyeong in Gyeonggi because of the abundance of inns and water sports facilities, not to mention the clean environment.

“I remember going on that train ride to Gapyeong in my freshmen year with classmates that I still didn’t know very well,” said Jung Seung-yeon, 23, a student at Ewha Womans University. “But by sharing snacks and sitting together in the compartment, we were able to really bond.”

But the train to Chuncheon will soon be a memory because it will be replaced with a new subway line.

The new line runs almost parallel to the Gyeongchun Line, which means that the majestic view of waterways and mountains will not change all that much when the new line is in service.

In addition, new stations will be built along the subway line, but they will not be far from the old ones.

As part of the transition from rail line to subway line, the stations along the Gyeongchun Line will be transformed to fit other purposes. The Hwarangdae, Sareung, and Geumgok areas are to be turned into a park by the Seoul Metropolitan Government while the other stations will become tourist attractions for Gyeonggi and Gangwon Province.

The original line had 20 train stations. There are now 17 stations, but the train only stops at nine of them: Hwarangdae, Sareung, Geumgok, Gapyeong, Gyeonggang, Baekyangri, Gangchon, Gimyujeong and Namchuncheon.

According to the builders, the new subway line will cut the travel time from Seoul to Chuncheon by around 30 minutes. It will hold more than five times the number of passengers and will be half the price of the current trip.

Left: A person walks through Gangchon Station. Right: Messages from travelers decorate a wall in Gangchon Station.

The new improvements sound do good on paper, but like Kim, many of those who have spent the best days of their youth in those compartments can’t help but feel disappointed.

The Week& Team staff took one last ride along the rail line, which will be no more beginning Dec. 21.

The first place we stopped was Hwarangdae Station. This is the last of the whistle stops in Seoul and is registered as a cultural asset. The facility gets its renown from the stationmaster Kwon Jae-hee. He proudly identifies himself on his business cards as “Hwarangdae’s last stationmaster” and organizes art exhibitions as well as concerts at the facility.

“I’m dreading the day when the station closes,” Kwon said. “Do you know the short story by O. Henry, ‘The Last Leaf,’ about two young artists who are dying of pneumonia and waiting for death? That’s how I feel right now.”

We also made a stop at Gimyujeong Station. It is the only station in Korea that is named after a famous figure, which is the main reason for its survival. The station is dedicated to writer Kim You-jeong (1908-1937), whose hometown is in the area. He wrote most of his novels in the town, including “Dongbaek” and “Bom Bom.” Near the station, there is a small village dedicated to the artist, which has regular tours.

Gyeonggang Station is known for being the backdrop for the Korean film “The Letter.”

Gyeonggang Station and Baekyangri Station have particularly scenic views.

Gyeonggang Station, which gets its name from the first syllables of Gyeonggi and Gangwon provinces, is famous for being the romantic setting of the Korean blockbuster, “The Letter” (1997).

Baekyangri Station is the only station on the Gyeongchun Line that has no stationmaster, and it is already starting to look lonely. The train heading for Chuncheon stops here just three times a day and the train heading back to Cheongyangni Station stops four times a day.

Also in the area, a major resort facility called Elysian has been built between Gyeonggang and Baekyangri Station. When the Gyeongchun subway line is in operation, visitors will be able to get off in front of the resort at Gulbongsan Station, instead of having to transfer to a shuttle bus to get there as they now have to do with the old train line. The resorts will hold major events to greet the ski season and the opening of the new stations.

In retrospect, it seems almost absurd that it takes two hours to get from Cheongyangni Station to Namchuncheon Station, a distance of 100 kilometers, when it takes only a little over two hours to go from Seoul to Busan on a KTX express train, a 400-kilometer ride.

But there has been a huge increase in ridership in the days before the line ends, which means passengers should book their tickets early.

The first train from Cheongyangni Station to Chuncheon leaves every hour from 6:15 a.m. until 8 p.m. Trains from Chuncheon to Cheongyangni Station run from 6 a.m. until 9:10 p.m. Not all trains stop at all stations, so check the schedule before you depart.

The newly installed Gyeongchun subway line will open on Dec. 21. The travel time from Sangbong Station on subway line No. 7 to Chuncheon Station, a distance of 81.4 kilometers, will be 89 minutes. That is a 31 minute decrease from the time it took on the old Gyeongchun Line.

In the future, there will be express trains that will shorten the time to just 40 minutes per trip.

source
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #237
ruready1000

Gyeongchun Line Video Clips

Mugunghwa class train is crossing the railway bridge on Jungrang stream.

Mugunghwa classs train is passing Hwarangdae Station in Seoul.
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #238
ruready1000

A train is leaving Gyeonggang station

A train is entering Gangchon station across a railyway crossing
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #239
ruready1000

News clip about Gyeongchun line

춘천가는 기차 ( The Train For Chuncheon) | 김현철 ( Kim Hyeon Cheol, 1989) | The most famous song relative to Gyeongchun line.
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #240
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

The article about the Gyeongchun line reminds me of Hong Sangsoo's film The Power of Kangwon Province.
Quote:
Three young girls, Jisook, Misun and Eunkyoung take a trip to the mountainous Kangwon Province of South Korea. They meet a young policeman who shows them around and after a meal where they all get drunk together, Jisook ends up spending the night with the policeman. He is married, but Jisook returns another day to see him and they end up falling-over drunk again. Jisook has just broken up with another married man, and she is lonely and unhappy with her current situation.

The second half the film then follows the situation of Sangwon, the married man that Jisook has just broken up with. In a typically symmetrical fashion, after a repeat scene where it becomes apparent that both of them are on the same train, Sangwon also visits the Kangwon Province with a friend and the paths of the two characters cross without them ever meeting there, both of them encountering a couple involved in a murder investigation.
The characters go from Seoul to Seoraksan. Would that involve a trip on the Gyeongchun line?
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote