daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:58 AM   #241
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
The article about the Gyeongchun line reminds me of Hong Sangsoo's film The Power of Kangwon Province.

The characters go from Seoul to Seoraksan. Would that involve a trip on the Gyeongchun line?
The station in the movie is Gangneung station(강릉역) on Yeongdong Line. The trip to Gangneung station doesn't involve Gyeongchun line.

image from the movie "The Power of Kangwon Province"
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM   #242
ruready1000

KTX on Gyeongjeon Line

source You need login to see this source
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:11 PM   #243
ruready1000

Last Day of Gyeongchun Line Mugunghwa Train

Namchuncheon Station

Timetable in Namchuncheon Station, in no use from now on.

Crowded with peoples who want to ride the last train.

Small photo exhibition

Peoples are going out to smoggy platform to ride the last train.

Peoples are taking a commemorative photograph.

The last train from Namchuncheon to Cheonyangni has arrived at Cheonangni station.

source
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #244
ruready1000

Last Day of Gyeongchun Line Mugunghwa Train 2

Hwarangdae Station in Seoul | Registered Cultural Properties No. 300

" The remaining day that you can ride on train at this station : 1 "

Ticket Office at Hwarangdae Station.

Ticket Office at Hwarangdae Station.

Station Platform.

Inside of Mungunghwa train bound for Namchuncheon.

Gimyujeong Station.

The final stop, Namchuncheon station.

Platform crowded with peoples to commemorate the last Mugunghwa train at Namchuncheon station.

The coach is waiting for locomotive to be attached.

Locomotive is attached to the coach and ready for last operation.

The train is passing by Gapyeong station.

Arrived at Cheongnyangni station. From now on there're no more Gyeongchun line trains at this station.

Rail fans are taking a picture of destination board and train.

Cheongnyangni station.

Rail fans are taking a picture of Cheongnyangni station.

source
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM   #245
nideru_90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

i really like ktx 2..
very modern design n beautiful colour scheme..
nideru_90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM   #246
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

So whats going to happen to the intercity service for Chuncheon? End?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #247
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
My understanding is that the old line will be abandoned, and all rail services will be the high platform metro type which started. As per wikipedia (which is of course not reliable) all the old conventional rail services terminated at (Seoul) Cheongnyangni Station. If in fact there were through services to points beyond Seoul I would be interested also, but the picture of the Namchuncheon station fare table tellingly shows fares only as far as Cheongnyangni, though there are KTX fares to the right, services to which I assume require a transfer to a metro line to get to. Ruready likely has the definitive answer.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #248
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
My understanding is that the old line will be abandoned, and all rail services will be the high platform metro type which started. As per wikipedia (which is of course not reliable) all the old conventional rail services terminated at (Seoul) Cheongnyangni Station. If in fact there were through services to points beyond Seoul I would be interested also, but the picture of the Namchuncheon station fare table tellingly shows fares only as far as Cheongnyangni, though there are KTX fares to the right, services to which I assume require a transfer to a metro line to get to. Ruready likely has the definitive answer.
The intercity service between Cheongnayangni and Chuncheon was abolished when Gyeongchun line was integrated into Seoul Metropolitan Subway. Anyway the new EMU-180 express train service (design speed 180km/h) between Yongsan and Chuncheon station with minimal stops, to be lauched on the end of next year, would be kind of intercity service. When being put into service next year, it will shorten the travel time from 63minutes (normal express train), 79 minutes (normal train) to around 40 minutes.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #249
mccol

Likes (Received): 1

The Airport railway from Incheon Int Airport to Seoul Railway Station completed construction and commenced its first operation today.

The length is 58 km and the time is 43 mins, pasengers can forward luggages directly between the two stations.

By 2012 , KTX high speed raiway will be connected to Incheon Airport, that means passengers from Incheon Airport can arrive in Busan by 2hrs /40 mins by KTX.

The foreign visitors from Incheon Airport to the southern part of SK (whose purpose usually to visit the heavy industrial complex)
will be able to move directly by KTX in less than 3 hrs without any transport transfer.

Last edited by mccol; December 29th, 2010 at 01:56 AM.
mccol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #250
ruready1000

KTX On Snowy Rail

source : 109110 at dcinside.com
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #251
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccol View Post

The Airport railway from Incheon Int Airport to Seoul Railway Station completed construction and commenced its first operation today.

The length is 58 km and the time is 43 mins, pasengers can forward luggages directly between the two stations.

By 2012 , KTX high speed raiway will be connected to Incheon Airport, that means passengers from Incheon Airport can arrive in Busan by 2hrs /40 mins by KTX.

The foreign visitors from Incheon Airport to the southern part of SK (whose purpose usually to visit the heavy industrial complex)
will be able to move directly by KTX in less than 3 hrs without any transport transfer.
good!
the ride through gimpo was lame.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #252
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

New advance unit train system for Korea

riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #253
ruready1000

Special Documentary about Gyeongchun Line

KBS local broadcasting company featured a documentary about Gyeongchun Line yesterday.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #254
ruready1000

Special Documentary about Gyeongchun Line

Old February 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #255
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Likes (Received): 412

KTX bullet train derails near Seoul

GWANGMYEONG, South Korea, Feb. 11 (Yonhap) -- A high-speed KTX train bound for Seoul from the southern port city of Busan derailed near a Gyeonggi Province station southwest of the capital Friday, but no casualties were reported, the state-run Korea Railroad said.

The incident took place near Gwangmyeong Station, southwest of Seoul, at 1:20 p.m. and forced Seoul-bound KTX lanes to shut down as of Friday afternoon.

"There are no casualties and we are driving back the derailed train," said a Korea Railroad official. "We are looking into the exact cause of the accident."

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nati...05400315F.HTML

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-815...c9MjM5MDUxMg==
7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #256
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Question: day trip from Seoul

I have a question for ruready 1000 (or anyone else w/knowledge). I may visit Seoul for a few days in late March, and am interested in taking a day trip by train outside of the city. I am interested in riding locomotive-hauled trains (not emu or KTX), and also seeing some freight trains. Can you suggest a good railway line and/or station to watch trains? I was thinking of taking a mugungwha train on the Jungang Line as far as Yeongju, but are there some other good places? The old Gyeongchun Line trains are very appealing to me, but the new line is too modern for my tastes, unfortunately. Thanks.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #257
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freedom7 View Post
KTX bullet train derails near Seoul

By any chance is this derailment on the section where the KTX-Sancheon had problems before?
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #258
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I have a question for ruready 1000 (or anyone else w/knowledge). I may visit Seoul for a few days in late March, and am interested in taking a day trip by train outside of the city. I am interested in riding locomotive-hauled trains (not emu or KTX), and also seeing some freight trains. Can you suggest a good railway line and/or station to watch trains? I was thinking of taking a mugungwha train on the Jungang Line as far as Yeongju, but are there some other good places? The old Gyeongchun Line trains are very appealing to me, but the new line is too modern for my tastes, unfortunately. Thanks.
I think riding on Jungang Line is a good choice if you want to ride locomotive-hauled trains. But the problem is that there're not much Mugunghwa class trains on this line (8 trains on one way a day). If you don't care about the scenery and travelling time, I think you had better ride on Gyeongbu or Honam line because there're plenty of Mugunghwa class trains.

Quote:
Can you suggest a good railway line and/or station to watch trains?
How about Namyeong station(남영역) between Yongsan station and Seoul station? If I live in Seoul, I could give you more information but I'm sorry I couldn't.(If I find the good location to spot on trains I will let you know.)

Old February 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #259
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
By any chance is this derailment on the section where the KTX-Sancheon had problems before?
If you mean the train malfunctioned at tunnel before, it was Geumjeong tunnel in Busan. The section the derailment occured is neary Gwangmyeong station in Gyeonggi province.

About the accident, Korail says :

Quote:
A bullet train derailed near Gwangmyeong Station in Gyeonggi Province at around 1:05 p.m. Friday, disrupting operations and causing inconveniences for passengers for many hours.

No major casualties were reported, with only one passenger sustaining a minor injury, said Korea Railroad (Korail), the train’s operator.

The high-speed KTX train, bound for Seoul from Busan 400, stopped in the tunnel about 300 meters from the Gwangmyeong station after the rear six cars out of the total 10 separated from the rails, according to Korail officials.

It is the first time that the bullet train has derailed, Korail officials said.

“We presume some malfunctioning in the railroad switching control system caused the accident. We are examining the exact cause of the accident,” said Kim Heung-sung, a spokesman for Korail. Kim said it seems that the train itself had no mechanical faults.

Among the 147 passengers onboard, a 63-year-old woman was taken to a nearby hospital for minor pain in her back. But no one was seriously injured as the train was going slowly to soon stop at the station.

The passengers had to walk to the station through the tunnel and were refunded their fares by the train operator.

As the train covered both northbound and southbound lines, operation of dozens of KTX trains in both directions was delayed. With the accident, bullet trains had to use the rails for lower-speed trains instead of the exclusive rails for KTX between Seoul and Daejeon.

Korail expects the railroads to return to normal by noon today. Korail has recommended people take other means of transportation until then. The train concerned was one of the “KTX-Sancheon,” models which was developed last year using domestic technology.

source
Anyway Korail pulled the derailed train out of tunnel and KTX service have been put back to normal today.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #260
skykraper

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
it's first of its kind, ironically post was from chinese where these accidents go unreported quite often.
skykraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote