daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #301
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Oh, that's a pity, will just miss it by a month...bummer. Thanks for the info, ruready.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #302
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Speed-up of Jeolla Line Completed
  • Jeolla Line
    - Iksan ~ Suncheon ~ Yeosu Expo
    - Line Length : 180.4 km
    - Track Gauge : 1, 435 mm
Quote:
KR (Korea Rail Network Authority) said yesterday that they completed the speed-up project of Jello line and started a test from 12th of March.

KR will test the track, with KTX and KTX-Sancheon, up to 230 km/h until April 25.

KR started the speed-up project of Jeolla line, costing 106.1 billion won, in September last year. To achieve a high speed (maximum 230 km/h), they installed ATP system, replaced 50kg/m rail with 60kg/m and set up high speed turnouts.

KR is planning to begin the service, after several trial runs, in 30th of April before the starting of Yeosu Expo.

With the speed-up of Jeolla line, the travel time between Yongsan station and Yeosu Expo station is expected to be reduced to 2 hour and 57 minutes.

source(korean)
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #303
ruready1000

Iksan Station | Honam Line / Jeolla Line

Jeonju Station | Jeolla Line

Namwon Station | Jeolla Line

Guryegu Station | Jeolla Line
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #304
ruready1000

Gokseong Station | Jeolla Line

Seomjin-gang(river) Train Town | Old Gokseong Station

Yeosu Expo Station | Jeolla Line

Trains on Jeolla Line
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #305
pwormald

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
So many great train pictures. I think it will be better if you make a caption about it.
Captions are now on new site with our visit photos
http://locopage.piwigo.com/index?/ca...a_new_zealand/
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM   #306
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Double-decker KTX to ply Seoul-Daejon route
(Chosun Ilbo, July 20)

Quote:
A double-decker train will be in operation as early as 2016. The Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs on Thursday said it commissioned the Korea Railroad Research Institute to look into the feasibility of a double-decker KTX in April. The actual feasibility study will begin next year.

The aim is to increase passenger capacity on Seoul-Daejeon route, which has long been saturated.
more: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...072001308.html
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM   #307
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

I think Rotem made a design of the potential double decker train, theres a pic in this thread or the other South Korea HSR thread.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #308
pwormald

Does anyone have good contacts with KORAIL? A few of us are making another trip to travel all over the Korail network and we'd really like to try and have a look inside the depot at Jecheon. I'm big fan of the 8000 loco and would like some photos at the depot. Getting permission out there may not be so easy. I'd rather set it up in advance

Thanks
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM   #309
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwormald View Post
Does anyone have good contacts with KORAIL? A few of us are making another trip to travel all over the Korail network and we'd really like to try and have a look inside the depot at Jecheon. I'm big fan of the 8000 loco and would like some photos at the depot. Getting permission out there may not be so easy. I'd rather set it up in advance

Thanks
Vehicle Management Division of Korail Chungbuk Branch has a control over Jecheon Depot. I called the division and they said you would need to arrange in advance several things such as date and time, the number of visiting persons etc. I asked them if it's possible to commuicate in english and the answer was No. I think you have to find some people speaking korean.

- Vehicle Management Divison of Korail Chungbuk Branch (코레일 충남본부 차량처) : (TEL) 043-641-2251 (E-Mail) I will send you it as a private message
- Korail Chungbuk Branch (코레일 충남본부) : (TEL) 043-643-7200

Last edited by ruready1000; August 21st, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM   #310
pwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Vehicle Management Division of Korail Chungbuk Branch has a control over Jecheon Branch. I called the division and they said you would need to arrange in advance several things such as date and time, the number of visiting persons etc. I asked them if it's possible to commuicate in english and the answer was No. I think you have to find some people speaking korean.

- Vehicle Management Divison of Korail Chungbuk Branch (코레일 충남본부 차량처) : (TEL) 043-641-2251 (E-Mail) I will send you it as a private message
- Korail Chungbuk Branch (코레일 충남본부) : (TEL) 043-643-7200
Thanks VERY much for your assistance! I'll respond to your message
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #311
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwormald View Post
"...A few of us are making another trip to travel all over the Korail network and we'd really like to try and have a look inside the depot at Jecheon..."
When were you thinking about doing this Jecheon depot visit? I am travelling independently - any chance of linking up on the day for this visit? My details are in a PM seperately.

-PGG-
-PGG- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #312
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

New Deliveries - Korail 8500 series

I have just returned from South Korea where I saw quite a few of the new 8500-series Co-Co electric locomotives currently being delivered from Hyundai-Rotem/Toshiba.

Only a few are actually in revenue service, most of the deliveries are involved in driver training and homolgation on each the Korail operating divisions. I saw them as far apart as Gangneung in the north and Suncheon in the south.

At the Hyundai-Rotem factory in Changwon, #8536 was on the delivery connection to Korail 25/09/2010.

-PGG-

image hosted on flickr

KoreaSth - Diesel & electric locomotives by -PGG-, on Flickr

Korail #8521 - HyundaiRotem/Toshiba (E) B/n ____ B/d 8/12 - 1435 mm gauge. Undergoing driver training and homolgation on the Korail Jungang Line near Jecheon.

Last edited by -PGG-; October 20th, 2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Adding photo reference
Old October 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #313
pwormald

Do you have any photos that you can share please? Were any any of the new 8500 series seen on any passenger trains, if so where please. Thanks
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #314
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-pgg-/8099115774/

Last edited by -PGG-; October 20th, 2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Reference added above
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #315
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

__

Last edited by -PGG-; October 20th, 2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Duplicated message
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #316
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

The 8500-series are primarily freight locomotives to start to replace to early members of the 8000-series. At the moment they are being used on driver training with an empty stock four-car set to provide braking sequence experiences. I saw at least three different rakes being utilised - no passengers inside. Delivered in batches of three or four locos at a time and stored locally until homolgation. Plenty around Jecheon, although I doubt any regular pass workings, perhaps when you do your depot visit there might be a special involved?

They have these really ugly anti-climb buffers which spoil an otherwise quite elegant unit. Why they have added these, only the designer could love them...!

-PGG-
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #317
pwormald

I read that they are fitted with a 24 pin plug which I think may later see a few passenger workings if this is power connection for train power?
Also read a few of the early 8000 locos may now be stored or being used for spare parts.
Did you see 8101 or 8102 in use at all? Thanks
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #318
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

Sorry, did not see any trace of the two pre-series Siemens locos. They seem to have moved from where you photographed them last year. I guess you will have to wait until the depot visit to glean why and where - I will need a report too, curious also.

As most Korean passenger trains with loco-hauled stock now have hotel-power supplied from the ubiquitous and noisy power car, I still doubt that the 8500's will see much regular passenger service. I would say the multi-pin plug/socket is more for loco mu that train power supply.

I have a proposal for possible industrial locomotive action if you are interested - my e-mail address is on your website.

-PGG-
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #319
pwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PGG- View Post
Sorry, did not see any trace of the two pre-series Siemens locos. They seem to have moved from where you photographed them last year. I guess you will have to wait until the depot visit to glean why and where - I will need a report too, curious also.-PGG-
8101 is still active, trains 1671 and 1674 from Yeongju - Gangneung is its regular duty, though I think its broken at moment. Between January and April this year is did those rains nearly every day. 8102 has not moved for months, its right beside the station at Jecheon, wheels very rusty but looks intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PGG- View Post
As most Korean passenger trains with loco-hauled stock now have hotel-power supplied from the ubiquitous and noisy power car, I still doubt that the 8500's will see much regular passenger service. I would say the multi-pin plug/socket is more for loco mu that train power supply.-PGG-
The chief we met said 8500 will do some passenger work, but only small amounts is the impression we got. The big multi pin plug is for power supply as I said. Loco MU is the small four black plugs higher up. See the photos I'm adding
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #320
pwormald

Recently back from another KORAIL trip, so plenty of photos of the new 8500 class, around 50 locos were on KORAIL property when we were there, and deliveries are fast. I think there will be 87 locos in all. Sad days for the great 8000 locos, they are losing work fast now All the visit photos on my photos site http://www.loco-photos.net and a few on here also.
These photos during an official visit to Jecheon depot Lots of locos undergoing commissioning and driver training all over the country

and the rest at Yemi