daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #321
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Faptastic! Thankyou

I've a question about Busan-Ulsan-Pohang Donghae Nambu Line.

Yesterday I was looking at Daum Maps and I saw the line through Busan are doing works... and according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Planning for the upgrading of the line started in 1990 already, with the primary aim to improve commuter traffic; construction started in June 2003. The section gets a new 72.1 km long alignment with several tunnels. Korea Rail Network Authority, Busan, and Ulsan city government is undertaking the upgrade. As of 2010, construction progress reached 32% of the total budget of 2,268.9 billion won. The completion of the upgrade is foreseen for 2015.
On September 1, 2010, the South Korean government announced a strategic plan to reduce travel times from Seoul to 95% of the country to under 2 hours by 2020. As part of the plan, the Busan-Ulsan section of the Donghae Nambu Line is to be further upgraded for 230 km/h.
No more news? no photos? no video news report?
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #322
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Faptastic! Thankyou
I've a question about Busan-Ulsan-Pohang Donghae Nambu Line.

Yesterday I was looking at Daum Maps and I saw the line through Busan are doing works... and according to Wikipedia:

No more news? no photos? no video news report?
Donghae Nambu line was originally planned as 'metropolitan railway' which imposed a share of the expenses on Busan and Ulsan local governments. In result this line had been delayed due to the expenses imposed on both local governments, so government decided last year to transform it into 'normal railway' that central government solely beared the cost. According to the government plan the construction will be completed by 2015.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #323
zoqaeski

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a description of the railway signalling used in South Korea? It looks heavily influenced by Japanese designs.
zoqaeski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #324
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoqaeski View Post
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a description of the railway signalling used in South Korea? It looks heavily influenced by Japanese designs.
Likely none in English, I have trouble finding anything in Japanese, and that's usually a reliable source for some substance. I don't know much about the signals themselves, my personal observations saw similarities to Japanese practice, though the blue indication (=green?) surprised me (there is also green, like in Japan). As far as train control, positive train control was instituted in 1969, with the adoption of an ATS-S system based on the type used by Japan National Railways. In the 1980's the Gyeongbu Line had five lamp type signals installed with ATS, allowing high speed running. Later, the Gyeongbu and Honam Lines had ATP with Eurobalise system installed. KTX is of course ATC, using the TVM430 track to train transmission system.

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; December 10th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #325
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwormald View Post
The right loco looks like an old Asthom loco.

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #326
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Yes, that's because it is- the 90 out of 95 locomotives of this class (8000 class) were built by Alstom, the last 5 were built by Daewoo.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #327
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Haha yes, it looks like the old NS 1600 series.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/1600/1800_(locomotieftype)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Class_1600
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #328
pwormald

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Yes, that's because it is- the 90 out of 95 locomotives of this class (8000 class) were built by Alstom, the last 5 were built by Daewoo.
Actually 94 locos, the last 4 built in Korea by Daewoo. Take a look here and there are many photos of 8000 locos. Sadly around the first 25 locos are now stored out of use as the new 8500 are arriving fast
http://locopage.piwigo.com/index?/search/824

Also not the last four locally built locos had side grills and windows opposite (upper/lower) to the other 90 locos, this photo is perfect example of the difference
http://locopage.piwigo.com/picture?/1543/search/824
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM   #329
Kowiana

Hey guys, I've just relaunched Kojects so we should have more frequent posts about rail in Korea coming up soon. The Donghae Nambu Line is definitely on the list. Like always there are a ton of projects coming up, so will keep you posted.
Kowiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #330
pwormald

I saw this on Kojects page:

"KORAIL is holding a naming contest for the new train which will replace the Saemeul at the end of this year"

Can anyone give detailed info of these new trains, I guess they are electric? What about the Saemeul running over diesel and part electric and then diesel lines (example Seoul - Pohang)

I understand all the DHC train sets are now running with GM locos pulling carriages, we like this
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #331
Kowiana

Quote:

"KORAIL is holding a naming contest for the new train which will replace the Saemeul at the end of this year"

Can anyone give detailed info of these new trains, I guess they are electric? What about the Saemeul running over diesel and part electric and then diesel lines (example Seoul - Pohang)
I'm no expert in locomotives etc, but here are some really basic details about the new trains.

The new trains will serve the same areas that Saemaul trains currently serve. Max speed will be 150km/h with 376 seats available. It appears they are electric. I'm guessing it may be very similar to the current Nuriro trains. Will look into the part elec/diesel thing and might post about it soon.
Kowiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #332
k.k.jetcar

There appears to have been some past speculation that a version of the Tilt Train Express (Hanvit 200) would be the replacement. The Hanvit 200 was detailed in an issue of Railers magazine a couple of years ago. The Nuriro option seems more viable though, if tilt is not needed (tilt is maintenance intensive).
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #333
ruready1000

Quote:

I understand all the DHC train sets are now running with GM locos pulling carriages, we like this
The last PP-DHC Saemauel train was retired on Jan, 6, 2013. The new trains are EMU-type and have a similar spec to Noorio(TEC) trains.

The New EMU Trains :
- 150km/h (Maximum Speed)
- 6 Cars per One trainset ( 23 trainsets and 138 cars in total )

This is the draft design :

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
There appears to have been some past speculation that a version of the Tilt Train Express (Hanvit 200) would be the replacement. The Hanvit 200 was detailed in an issue of Railers magazine a couple of years ago. The Nuriro option seems more viable though, if tilt is not needed (tilt is maintenance intensive).
There was news that Korail asked government subsidies to build tilt train because of the high cost of building tilt trains but the government rejected it. The government plan of straightening most of main lines is another obstacle to tilt trains.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #334
pwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
The last PP-DHC Saemauel train was retired on Jan, 6, 2013. The new trains are EMU-type and have a similar spec to Noorio(TEC) trains.
The New EMU Trains :
- 150km/h (Maximum Speed)
- 6 Cars per One trainset (23 trainsets and 138 cars in total)
Thanks for info So maybe the "Saemauel" trains running on partly diesel lines to Pohang and Iksan will continue with old cars and diesel locos?
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #335
ruready1000

Quote:
Thanks for info So maybe the "Saemauel" trains running on partly diesel lines to Pohang and Iksan will continue with old cars and diesel locos?
Yes. Saemauel class trains are still in service. It's just that all of PP-DHC Saemauel trains are gone and another Saemauel trians pulled by diesel or electric locomotives will fill the position.

Korail has a plan to send all 'Saemauel' trains into retirement till 2015 and introduce EMU type trains. The non-electified lines would have different options, of course.
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #336
pwormald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Yes. Saemauel class trains are still in service. It's just that all of PP-DHC Saemauel trains are gone and another Saemauel trians pulled by diesel or electric locomotives will fill the position
I think they just removed the "power cars" and pull the trains around with diesel locos using the same cars? The original loco hauled "Saemauel" had five figure numbers, and the PP_DHC have 3 numbers
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #337
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

150km/h seems awfully slow for the replacement for the Saemaeul trains. Weren't they the fastest trains in South Korea until the KTX? And don't they already have the ITX working the Gyeongchun line at up to 180km/h? It seems like they should aim for a stepping stone between that train and the KTX, not more trains underneath the 200km/h line.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #338
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
150km/h seems awfully slow for the replacement for the Saemaeul trains. Weren't they the fastest trains in South Korea until the KTX? And don't they already have the ITX working the Gyeongchun line at up to 180km/h? It seems like they should aim for a stepping stone between that train and the KTX, not more trains underneath the 200km/h line.
I think the speeds are a function of the existing line conditions, as well as line capacity. The Gyeongchun Line was built practically new, and is engineered for high speeds (elevated ROW, gentle curves), judging by the pics ruready has posted in the past here.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #339
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

So then, the listed maximum speed is not the maximum speed of the train, but the maximum speed allowed by the track? If that's the case, it seems like they ought to be preparing for the upgrade plan the government is implementing to increase speeds nationwide. Is it likely that the train itself would be able to go faster on, for example, the Gyeongbu KTX line (which I assume it will operate on if it's totally replacing the Saemaeul trains)?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #340
ruready1000

Korail had a plan to introduce the so-called 'Vitzro(180km/h)'train to replace Saemauel trains several years ago, but the borad of audit and inspection tackled this plan for various reasons :

1. There're no upgrade plan to the lines in much demand such as Gyeongbu or Homan line. In these lines 150km/h trains would be sufficient.

2. 180km/h trains would not be sufficient for the lines which are planned to be upgraded to 180km/h ~ 230km/h, and it would be more efficient to introduce trains along the plan.

Anyway in spite of the board's opposition, MLTM(Minstry of Land, Transportation and Martime Affairs) seems to introduce 200~230km/h EMU trains, according to this news. According to this news, MLTM has a plan to put all of Saemauel trains out of service till 2015 and introduce 200~230km/h EMU trains, if possible, to the lines where no KTX train is in service.