daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #401
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1034

At least it wasn't a high speed train. And I imagine that rail travel anywhere in Gangwon is still fairly slow, given the terrain and fairly old infrastructure. It's a shame someone died, but it could've been on the KTX and happened a la Santiago de Compostela, the anniversary of which only just passed.

Combine these incidents with the two Malaysian Airlines crashes, and the TransAsia plane crash in Taiwan, and it you couldn't be blamed for feeling hesitant to travel anywhere.
aquaticko está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #402
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Donghae-Nambu Line 동해남부선

Since wednesday Nov. 5, trains run through the new viaduct between Bujeon and Allak - Jaesong stations.

In addition, Dongnae Station moves their platform to a provisional structure in the viaduct.

Meanwhile, new stations like Geoje, Nammungu, and Busan Nat'l Univ. of Education continues his construction.

From Dongnae to Gijang trains runs on partial new track. Some stations looks more advanced on its construction respect others, i.e. Suyeong and Udong.

Bujeon-Gijang back cab view recorded on Nov. 2, two days before the change.

0:20 switch for new track on viaduct
0:55 old Dongnae Station platform
1:30 Suyeong Station
1:45 Udong Station
2:15 New Haeundae Station
2:40 Songjeong Station

Dongnae Station on Nov. 5:

New provisional access to the elevated platform

Old platform

New provisional platform

Stairs are prepared for high-platform (future commuter service)

More photos: Pure Train

According what I asked at 철도마니아(Railway Mania), commuter services on Donghae Nambu Line will start operations by the end of 2016.

dimlys1994, Munwon, Bkmn liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #403
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Hyundai-Rotem plans Brazilian assembly plant
Monday, November 17, 2014

HYUNDAI-ROTEM, Korea, is to establish a rolling stock assembly plant in Brazil under an agreement with the government of the state of São Paulo, which was signed at Bandeirantes Palace on November 12 in the presence of the state's recently re-elected governor Mr Geraldo Alckmin

The plant at Araraquara will be built on land owned by Hyundai-Rotem's Brazilian partner Iesa and will assemble LRVs, commuter trains and metro trains.

Hyundai-Rotem decided to build the plant after securing a contract last year to supply 30 EMUs to São Paulo commuter rail operator Paulista Metropolitan Trains Company (CPTM). The Korean company is also supplying 55 trains for the Salvador metro through concessionaire CCR and has also supplied the train fleet for São Paulo's metro Line 4.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #404
dimlys1994

General video about Korean Railways:

Old November 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #405
kramertron

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
General video about Korean Railways
Just in case anyone can't tell, the first 5 minutes are about trains in Japan.

dimlys1994 liked this post
kramertron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #406
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramertron View Post
Just in case anyone can't tell, the first 5 minutes are about trains in Japan.
And I believe Lyon right at the beginning. The theme is "new style" urban transit systems, such as rubbertire fixed guideway and monorails, hence the footage of such systems in operation in Japan. The film was produced by a railway construction corporation (Korea Rail Network Authority), likely who are keen to get contracts for building such systems.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #407
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...announced.html

Korail EMU order announced
05 Dec 2014

SOUTH KOREA: National railway operator Korail has ordered a batch of 22 regional EMUs from Hyundai Rotem at a cost of 154·4bn won, the company announced on December 1. Due for delivery from April 2016 onwards, the trains are intended to operate on two lines which are currently under construction.

Noting that this was the first rolling stock order to be placed since new type approval and safety rules were introduced in March, Hyundai Rotem said it would be responsible for maintenance and repair for the vehicles during an initial warranty period. In order to reduce cost maintenance costs, the company plans to use locally sourced components as far as possible and minimise the number of imported parts.

The first batch of EMUs is destined to operate on the 54·8 km Seongnam – Icheon – Yeoju line, which is due to be completed by September 2015. Being built with a budget of 1·8tr won, this electrified double-track route in Gyeonggi province will serve the region beyond the expanding southeastern suburbs of Seoul. Starting from an interchange with the Sin Bundang Line at Pangyo, it largely follows the alignment of a former narrow gauge railway

Old February 14th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #408
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Wonju - Gangneung Line

This line will be the fastest line to connect Seoul and the center of ROK with the eastern cost crossing the hilly Taebaek Mountains. Since December 2017 trains will run from Seoul (Seoul St., Yongsan or Cheongnyangni) through the Jungang Line to Seowonju (Wonju) and Gangneung.

In the future, the line will conect Seowonju with Incheon via the Seongnam-Yeoju Line and the Suin Line.

Meanwhile I guess the trains will run direct between Gangneung and Incheon Airport using the flying junction in Yongsan Station to allow trains from Jungang Line to Seoul Station and then, via the Gyeonggui Line-Seoul Station Branch to the AREX Link around Digital Media City Station.

The Wonju-Gangneung Line have 120,3 km. The first station will be Seowonju (connected with new Jungang Line bypassing Wonju).

Click for see at full resolution

Detailed map with tunnels, bridges and others: http://tinyurl.com/pofj86l

Project CM:

Following, an overview of the station and the track route:

Seowonju: http://goo.gl/maps/WfYqq This is the junction. The Station is quick far away from central Wonju.

Seowonju Station vision

Manjong: http://goo.gl/maps/rUQtQ Only 5 km from Seowonju. I don't know if this is a station or just a railyard.

You can see the Seowonju Station, the juntion Jungang - Wonju-Gangneung Line and the Mangjong Station in the next video (from 6:00 to 13:10):

Hoengseong: http://goo.gl/maps/FK2ZP Rural city with 50.000 inhabitants. The station is constructed on the south side of the river.

Dunnae: http://goo.gl/maps/Rsbyi Extremely small village with only 5000 inhabitants. The station will provide quick access to the ski resort of Welli Hilli Park.

Pyeongchang: http://goo.gl/maps/PdKjG Is not clear the position but somewhere near this meander. This is the nearest station to the Bokwang Phoenix Park (venue for Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Games). This station is located in Bongpyeong town (5.500 inhabitants).

Pyeongchang Station vision

Jinbu: http://goo.gl/maps/0ILpY This station will serve the Jeongseong Alpine Center. The station is located near the Expressway in the town of Jinbu (10.200 inhabitants).

Daegwallyeong: http://goo.gl/maps/HWZxL I guess, the station building is near the tollgate. But this station is located inside a tunnel of 21,7 kilometers. This station will serve the Alpensia and Yongpyeong cluster for the 2018 Winter Games. Daegwallyeong has a population of 6.000 inhabitants.

The 21 km tunnel between Jinbu and Namgangneung station will save a ramp of 444 meters.

Namgangneung: http://goo.gl/maps/x7kfM Approximately around there. No evidences of construction.

Namgangneung Station vision

From here a link will be constructed (or it is constructed) to permit trains to Gangneung Station at the end of Yeongdong Line.

Urban section of Yeongdong Line in Gangneung was closed in 2014 to construct a new underground track and a new station. Provisionally, the station of Anin is used as end of Yeongdong Line.

Before closing:

Demolishing platforms and tracks of former Gangnaeung Station:

As others upgrades, the new Wonju-Gangneung Line will be electrified at 25000V. The maximum speed will be 230 km/h.

Sources:
dcinside.com
mirror.enha.kr
Future Rail Database

dimlys1994, aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; February 14th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #409
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...o-the-dmz.html

South Korea to reinstate line to the DMZ
07 Aug 2015

SOUTH KOREA: As part of events to mark the 70th anniversary of the partition of the Korean peninsula, on August 5 President Park Geun-hye attend a ceremony to launch work to reinstate the 9·3 km Baengmagoji – Woljeongi South Korean section of the former 222 km Gyeongwon Line between Seoul and Wonsan.

Main works on the US$129m project funded by the Unification Ministry are expected to begin in October for completion by 2017

Old August 12th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #410
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7206

Kojects jus reported today on this project

Quote:
KTXs have been operating in the Incheon area via the airport railroad for over 2 years now, but soon it may be even easier for those living in the southern part of the city as well as parts of Gyeonggi-do to take the KTX.

At the beginning of July, the Ministry and Land Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) announced that they were investigating the possibility of Suwon and Songdo KTX services after initial feasibility studies came back with a business case of 1.23 and 1.18 respectively according to Yonhap News. Things are looking promising for the proposal and will go into planning stages later this year with an aim to start construction in the second half of next year.

Songdo and Suwon KTX
Image edited under creative commons licence: Wikicommons – Chugun

If the project goes ahead it would mean building a 2.4km connection for Songdo trains from the current high speed Gyeongbu Line to Eocheon Station , one of the future stations on the third phase of the Suin Line due to be completed in 2017. As you might know, the KTX already services Suwon, but only four times a day and because it has to use the Gyeongbu Line for part of the trip it is unable to travel as fast as other KTX services. Another 4.7km connection will also be built from Seojeong-ri Station to the new high speed line at Jije Station in Pyeongtaek.

Adding these connections will mean that travelling from Songdo to Daejeon by KTX will take 1 hour 11 minutes, with a trip to Busan possible in just 2 hours and 3 minutes. Trips from Suwon to Daejeon also would be cut from the current time of 67 minutes to 48 minutes.

Watch this space as we’ll be keeping an eye on this project.
http://kojects.com/2015/08/12/ktxs-f...uwon-stations/

It also mentions the connection from the Suseo line to Suwon, truly putting Suwon on the KTX map
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #411
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=540

Korail opens unification exhibition at Dorasan station
Monday, October 19, 2015

THE president of Germany, Mr Joachim Guack, Korea's minister of unification, Mr Hong Yong-pyo, and the CEO of Korail, Dr Choi Yeon-hye, joined 300 guests to mark the opening of a unification exhibition at Dorasan station near the border with North Korea on October 14

A special unification platform covering 240m2 has been built south of platform 1 with a section of the former Berlin Wall, a US military caboose which ran between East and West Germany during the Cold War, an inter-Korean freight wagon which operated between the two Koreas to Kaesung during 2007, a map of the Trans-Eurasian Railway, and Korean citizens' messages of unification

Old October 26th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #412
kimahrikku1

Hyundai Rotem rolled out on October 20th in Changwon the first trainset that will be used on the Suseo HSR line

http://www.etnews.com/20151020000182

Trains will have 10 cars, max out at 330km/h and be able to carry 440 people.

For reminder, the Suseo HSR line is due to open in mid-2016.

http://www.molit.go.kr/USR/mof_polic...age=249&id=457
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #413
kimahrikku1

Daejeon Subway Line 3 to start construction next year

Daejeon Subway Line 3 (which will probably be built before line 2) has just pass the Korea Development Institute (KDI) feasibility evaluation, and will move forward, with construction scheduled by late 2016, and opening of the line's 1st phase by 2022.

It should be noted that Line 3 is actually more of a commuter rail / urban rail line, and the first section has just 6 stations spread across 35 kilometers. If phase 2 is completed, the line will be 106 kilometer-long and will also be known as the Chungcheong Urban Rail (not a definitive name).

Here is the line in red (only the Phase 1 section is shown). Line 1 is in blue, and line 2 (circular line, in green) hasn't begun construction yet.

And here is what the line should look like if phase 2 is completed, truly a "regular" rail road :

https://namu.wiki/w/%EC%B6%A9%EC%B2%...A0%84%EC%B2%A0

http://www.nocutnews.co.kr/news/4509733
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #414
aquaticko

I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing this new line from the Gyeongbu Line and Honam Line. Is this a commuter rail running along the same ROW through Daejeon? Because it kind of looks like it. Am I misreading the map you posted, or is something else going on here?

I should really learn Korean.
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #415
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing this new line from the Gyeongbu Line and Honam Line. Is this a commuter rail running along the same ROW through Daejeon? Because it kind of looks like it. Am I misreading the map you posted, or is something else going on here?

I should really learn Korean.
On the bigger map (not the map of just Daejeon) :
Subway line 1 is in dark blue (hardly visible)
Subway line 2 (unbuilt) is the dotted line that is mostly purple. Phase 2 of line 2 is in dark blue, to make things more confusing
Subway line 3 Phase 1 is the thick vivid red line
Subway line 3 Phase 2 (extending from Subway line 3 phase 1) is in crimson/bordeaux/purple or whatever it's called
The HSR lines are in green
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #416
aquaticko

I can read Korean; I was more thinking that if I could speak it, too, I wouldn't have to bother with so many questions.

In the map, it looks as though line 3 is hooking up with the Honam and Gyeongbu lines directly, not the HSR lines, but the older ones as labeled in the purple boxes. The absence of any visible line between those two--other than line 3--leads me to wonder if this new line simply follows the old connection of the standard Honam and Gyeongbu lines.
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #417
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I can read Korean; I was more thinking that if I could speak it, too, I wouldn't have to bother with so many questions.

In the map, it looks as though line 3 is hooking up with the Honam and Gyeongbu lines directly, not the HSR lines, but the older ones as labeled in the purple boxes. The absence of any visible line between those two--other than line 3--leads me to wonder if this new line simply follows the old connection of the standard Honam and Gyeongbu lines.

From my understanding so far :

Yes, they will be using the existing sections of the Gyeongbu and Honam line (as well as Chungbuk). I haven't read to much into the project and I'll be doing research later (this project is still far away from completion), so maybe they'll be doing some realignment or sign improvement to make the line more efficient, but the line will be used. New stations will be added (the ones in a yellow rectangle name boxon the Daejeon map / marked with dotted red circles) for sure.

One interesting thing is that the line intersects with line 2 at what will be Ojeong Station on line 2, but the current plans do not include a transfer station (or any station for that matter) on line 3 at this location. Apparently it's complicated to fit such a station there (crowded area), but one of the article I saw said that they were trying to look for new solutions to build an Ojeong Station on line 3 as well and allow transfer to line 2.

But right now the plan that passed the KDI's feasibility evaluation didn't incorporate this additional station.
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #418
aquaticko

What would I do without you, my friend?
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #419
kimahrikku1

Daegu Region Urban Rail to star construction in late 2016

Daegu, which already boasts three subway lines, will soon have a line similar to Daejeon Line 3, which is an express urban rail line using the old Gyeongbu Line.

Since the urban sections of the Gyeongbu HSR line have been completed in Daejeon and Daegu, the KTX traffic doesn't run across the old Gyeongbu line anymore, allowing for much more flexibility of the old line and turning it into a commuter-rail, urban-rail, express subway (whatever you want to call it). That would mostly involve building additional stations, realigning the rail and workng on signalisation and such, but no actual construction of the line from scratch.

The Daegu plan doesn't actually call the potential new line "subway" though. Here is the plan :

http://www.cnews.co.kr/uhtml/read.js...81443268920994

Service would run from Gumi to Gyeongsan (61.85km), and pass through Dongdaegu and Daegu stations. Four new stations would be built between Gumi and Daegu station. Transfer with subway line 1 would be possible at Daegu Station, and with subway line 3 near Dalseong Park and Buk-gu Office stations.

Some MOUs have been signed, initial plans should be finished by March and final plans by the end of the year, with construction starting also in 216 hopefully. Completion is scheduled for 2019.

The line could potentially be extended North from Gumi to Gimcheon (22.9km), and South from Gyeongsan to Miryang (44.7km).

http://www.cnews.co.kr/uhtml/read.js...81443268920994
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:14 AM   #420
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

S. Korea launches maglev train service at main airport

Quote:

South Korea will launch its first magnetic levitation (maglev) train service on a route linking Incheon International Airport to a nearby station this week, becoming the second nation in the world to succeed in commercializing maglev technology.

The unmanned train, slated to go into service on Wednesday, will run the 6.1-kilometer line between South Korea's main gateway and Yongyu Station in 15 minutes, according to the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. It will be serviced free of charge from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.,

South Korea is the second country in the world to launch a locally-made urban maglev transport service following Japan, the ministry said.

Four maglev trains each with two carriages will run every 15 minutes, with up to seven trains available for operation. A maglev train can carry up to 230 passengers and will run at a maximum speed of 80 km per hour although the train was designed to run up to 110 km per hour.

Maglev trains use a powerful magnetic field to suspend them above rails. The train, which runs 8 mm over the rail, was developed with 100 percent home-grown technology.

Unlike conventional trains, maglev trains have no wheels, which cause noise and vibrations, and allow passengers to travel with superb comfort.

In October 2006, the government launched a project to commercialize maglev train service for citizens living in and around the Seoul metropolitan area. A total of 413.5 billion won (US$382 million) has been spent on the project.

Twenty government agencies and private companies have taken part in the project, including the Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials, Korea Rail Network Authority and Hyundai Rotem.

Test operations kicked off on a 6.1-kilometer rail line built in a town near Incheon airport in November 2012. Commercial service was originally planned to begin in August 2013 but has been delayed in order to correct problems exposed in the year-long test run and reinforce safety measures.

The Incheon International Airport Corp. plans to run the new service free of charge as it is a pilot project. The corporation said it may turn it into a commercial service after consulting with the Incheon city administration and the ministry, depending on demand.

Japan launched its urban maglev train service on an 8.9 km line in Nagoya in March 2005. (Yonhap)

source

nazrey, lkstrknb liked this post
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote