daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2016, 10:26 AM   #441
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7186

Opening of the Donghae Line (Phase 1) in Busan

Here is the recap from Kojects.

Quote:
Donghae Line Opens in Busan, Next Phase to Ulsan to be Completed in 2018

Andy Tebay|

The Donghae Line began operating today, bringing the number of lines on Busan’s metro system to six.

The new commuter railway is the first stage of a metro connection between Busan and Ulsan, and stretches from Bujeon Station to Ilgwang (Gijang-gun). The line is 28.5km long and stops at 14 stations, including transfer points at Geoje (Line 3), Busan Nat’l Univ. of Edu (Line 1) and Bexco (Line 2).

The route is similar to Seoul’s Line 1 in that it shares its track with the national rail network – the first of its type outside of the Seoul Capital Area. This means that standard train passengers can also transfer to the line at stations such as Gijang, Sinhaeundae and Bexco to reach their destinations faster. You may remember that we talked about the line just over three years ago when the old section of the Donghaenambu Line was closed and replaced with the current one, resulting in the loss of the old Haeundae Station.

Click the image to view a larger version.

While the Donghae Line will make travel more convenient for residents of Gijang and commuters in the south-east of Busan, passengers will need to take note that the trains operate every 15 minutes during the peak times of 7am – 9am and 6pm – 8pm. Outside of those times the services only operate every 30 minutes, meaning anyone using the line will need to check schedules if they don’t want to risk a long wait.

The trains have four carriages, and a total of 96 services operate on weekdays, with just 88 services during the weekend. Of course prices on the line are standard fare, and you can transfer from other lines and buses with your transport card. It’s hoped that the regional rail will stimulate development in neighboring cities and reduce traffic congestion.

The next phase of the line from Ilgwang to Taehwagang (formerly Ulsan) is scheduled to be completed in the second half of 2018. Once the line is open, the connection between the two cities will be 65.7km long with 22 stations.

Click on the map to view full the image. (Source: KR)
http://kojects.com/2016/12/30/donghae-line-opens-busan/
kimahrikku1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #442
kimahrikku1

Gangneung Station

Here's a picture from Gangneung Station, currently being rebuilt ahead of the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. I was actually there in mid-July. It's an interesting shape and structure. Also, the new station will be over the tracks, so it's easier to access from the North side (near where the venues will be located). The neighborhood surrounding the station is really not so great though. Since the station was previously pretty much abandoned or freight only, there were only hardware stores, storage facilities or factories around the station. And I didn't see much construction around the station, so we'll see if they get more high-end dining and shopping options.

The new station will open in December.

Mostly unrelated news, but I'll probably go see the Olympics myself. Don't know if I'll go to Pyeongchang (snow) or Gangneung (ice) yet. I'll keep you posted.

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0009503494
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:37 PM   #443
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Yeongdeok Station to open in December

as of October:

Source: http://blog.daum.net/spear723/8515218
Yeongdeok Station, which is the first county-level station to open on the northward extension of the new Donghae Line (which will eventually stretch from Pohang in the south to Gangneung in the north), is set to open by the end of the year.

This will also be the first time that the county of Yeongdeok (pop. ~55,000) will have rail service. From what I've been able to gather (I could be wrong), Yeongdeok Station marks the terminus of double-tracking on the Donghae Line, but plans have been made to permit double-tracking after this point along the remainder of the route. Again, from what I've read, the entire line is set to be electrified like the rest of the country's electric lines: 25kV, 60Hz.

As it looks in the render, the station itself is designed to rest at the bottom of an embankment, and there will be a tunnel and escalators/elevators which bring passengers up to the platform. I could be wrong (I hope I am), but I judging by the picture, the platform itself will be built to Korail's usual, non-level height--550mm. Why they aren't building new stations with level boarding is beyond me. I suppose that at least the station's design is kind of neat, and the location is right in "downtown" Yeongdeok.

tmorling liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM   #444
kimahrikku1

Opening of the Gyeonggang Line

Also known as the Wonju-Gangneung or Seoul-Gangneung Line, the Gyeonggang Line will improve transportation to the Gangwon province, and be a key asset for the Olympics.

The line opened this morning. The line puts Gangneung City 114 minutes away from Seoul Station, and 86 minutes away from Cheongnyangni Station in eastern Seoul. Jinbu and Pyeongchang station, which will be the base for the snow events at the Olympics, will be reached even quicker.

Eastbound trains depart from Seoul, Cheongnyangni or Sangbong Station, and use the refurbished Jungang Line until Seowonju Station, which is the beginning point of the actual Gyeonggang Line, which is 118 kilometers long.

The full project is for the Gyeonggang Line to be extended to Incheon, bypassing Seoul by the pass, using the Gyeonggang Line section of the Seoul Metropolitan Subway, and the Wolgyo-Pangyo and Yeoju-Wonju lines, still under planning.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin...ML?input=1195m

http://news.donga.com/3/all/20171222/87866811/2

http://www.etnews.com/20171222000036
Old January 14th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #446
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Can't help but wonder what South Korea would look like now if they' decided to build the Gyeongbu HSR instead of the Gyeongbu Expressway.

Better, in my biased opinion.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM   #447
kimahrikku1

Extension of AREX to Incheon Terminal 2

On January 13th, the Airport Railroad (AREX) Line was extended by one station to Incheon International Airport Terminal 2 (the line is extended by 5.8 km), ahead of the opening of the new terminal on January 18th.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/photos/1...04&input=1196m

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0009136545