daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Deutschsprachiges Wolkenkratzer Forum

Deutschsprachiges Wolkenkratzer Forum » Berlin | Dortmund | Dresden-Leipzig | Frankfurt | Hamburg | Hannover | Kiel | München | Rhein-Ruhr | Stuttgart
» Wien | Linz | Graz | Innsbruck | Salzburg | St. Pölten

Old June 29th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #61
skender
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Traveling to/through Germany

If anyone can help me i will be very thankful. I want to travel by bus from frankfurt to geneva or berne...do you know if there are buses that actually go there...or will i have to take a train??
Thanks a lot
good bye
skender no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 30th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #62
R@ptor
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 4428

Take the train. There are ICE connections from Frankfurt to Basel and from there you can take the Swiss IC. It takes about 6 hours to get from Frankfurt to Geneva by rail.

My Flickr Account
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #63
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 378

In general overland bus connections in Germany and to many destinations in neighbouring states are underdeveloped. And if there is a bus, it is often as expensive as the train (although the train is already ****** expensive). The rail network is by far more developed (and afaik there is a stupid law which still prevents competition for the rail network from bus companies).
DiggerD21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #64
Das Tier

Likes (Received): 4

Take the train it`s much more faster and by far more comfortable, imo going by bus really sucks.

@ Digger21

I wouldn`t say that, I don`t know how the situation is in HH, but from Berlin there are dozens of bus connections to nearly every place in europe and it´s often less than half the price of the train.
6.9.: San Marino - Deutschland 0:13
Das Tier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #65
Das Tier

Likes (Received): 4

You can fly with Lufthansa for about 110 €, when you`ve luck, you`ve to check your needed dates: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1618907(link to the englih site with the european special offers).

The highspeedtrain would take nearly 6 hours and costs oneway about the same price like the two-way flight.

I didn`t find any bus connections, but to be honest I only took a short look.
6.9.: San Marino - Deutschland 0:13
Das Tier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #66
Molinari
Wirtschaftsguru

Likes (Received): 37

Yep, a flight often is the cheapest option.
Molinari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #67
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Tier
@ Digger21

I wouldn`t say that, I don`t know how the situation is in HH, but from Berlin there are dozens of bus connections to nearly every place in europe and it´s often less than half the price of the train.
Die Busverbindungen aus Hamburg sind eher nur zu gebrauchen, wenn man nach Osteuropa oder das dänische Festland will. Nach Südeuropa? Vergiss es, mindestens genauso teuer wie ein günstiger Flug + lange Reisezeit. Es gibt hier lediglich zwei Buslinien, die zu was zu gebrauchen sind: Der Bus nach Berlin (i.d.R. günstiger als die Bahn) und der "9 Euro"-Nachtbus über Flughafen Hannover, Frankfurt, Flughafen Frankfurt nach Heidelberg (Billigfliegerprinzip: wer zuerst kommt, kriegt den besten Tarif: 9 Euro pro Fahrt).
DiggerD21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #68
RednBlack
BANNED

Learning German (language issues) - Deutsch lernen

Hey guys, I didnt know where to post this so I figured here was a good place to ask for some opinions.

I currently live in NYC with my parents and attend college as a History major to become one day a History Professor. My family comes from a Middle Income family, so we live relatively comfortable here in NYC. My plan is to finish college and start my career and get married, but after, in the near future I would like to move away. I come from Albania, but we all know that the living standards there are nowhere near the United States, so moving back there is not an option for me. I have never visited Germany before this is why I ask those German forumers who live there to give me your opinion. Would my standard of living change dramatically if I move to Germany and still pursue the same career? I currently only speak English and Albanian. Would I still be able to get a job due to my lack of German?
RednBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #69
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 3359

I don't think that you should move to any country without knowing their language, it's disrespectful to the natives.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #70
MIMICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mesofius View Post
I don't think that you should move to any country without knowing their language, it's disrespectful to the natives.
I disagree, I'd think it's quite flatering.

But seriously, altho it's not a bad idea, I think u'll be hit by a pretty big culture shock learning another language. Even tho German isn't that difficult to learn, I'd expect it to be a difficult time.
MIMICA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #71
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Why not learn a language prior to moving there? All it takes is a couple of months.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #72
RednBlack
BANNED

Quote:
That makes no sense. You think everyone knew the country's language before they moved to a foreign country?
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #73
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RednBlack View Post
That makes no sense. You think everyone knew the country's language before they moved to a foreign country?
And that's number one reason why I don't like immigrants. After awhile they form their communities where they don't even have to learn the native language, then they start pushing for regional language rights and before you know it there is legislature pending for their language to be second state official.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #74
RednBlack
BANNED

Quote:
And that's number one reason why I don't like immigrants.
Good for you, now if you can kindly leave this thread so that the German Forumers can reply to my original post I would appericiate it.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #75
dejan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

No need for that rednblack...he's only contributing his opinion. And he has a point...but not to deter from the original topic...

I think Germany would be a good country to move to...but from what i know and hear, it is extremely difficult to obtain German citizenship(?) I'd certainly like to move to a Western European country....living in Germany you can easily go anywhere in Europe, car, train or aeroplane. But it is best to know the language before hand...and i can't imagine you finding a proper job where you'll be teaching in English? Unless it's a foreign type college.
Why not England? The weather is horrible from what i hear though.
dejan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #76
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

no worries! I'm out.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #77
RednBlack
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejan View Post
No need for that rednblack...he's only contributing his opinion. And he has a point...but not to deter from the original topic...

I think Germany would be a good country to move to...but from what i know and hear, it is extremely difficult to obtain German citizenship(?) I'd certainly like to move to a Western European country....living in Germany you can easily go anywhere in Europe, car, train or aeroplane. But it is best to know the language before hand...and i can't imagine you finding a proper job where you'll be teaching in English? Unless it's a foreign type college.
As far as German citizenship, I dont really need it. Im currently a US citizen, cant I live there with that? Foreign College is what I was thinking about actually.Its not like I wont learn the language, I would learn it now if I could but honestly dont have time due to my studies. England? lol I dont know, I have visted only London but not too thrilled with it. I live in one of the richest places in the world, only reason I would like to live in Germany is because of its culture and people. I think its a great place to settle down and start a family, so is the US but I dont know. Maybe I'll change my mind once I vist Germany, anything can happen.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #78
dejan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I'm not sure if you'd be able to live in Germany with your US citizenship, i assume you would? Maybe you'd have to apply for a permanent residence visa or such. I guess a foreign college would be better to start off, because learning a completely different language...then you have to apply that to your profession.
Yes i agree about Germany, its culture, people and the actual landscape is luring enough Best to see what the locals have to say...but if i could i'd like to move to a country like Sweden.
dejan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #79
Pobbie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
It's not that much worse than Germany's really.

Though I personally hate it.
Pobbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #80
RednBlack
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure if you'd be able to live in Germany with your US citizenship, i assume you would? Maybe you'd have to apply for a permanent residence visa or such. I guess a foreign college would be better to start off, because learning a completely different language...then you have to apply that to your profession.
Yes i agree about Germany, its culture, people and the actual landscape is luring enough Best to see what the locals have to say...but if i could i'd like to move to a country like Sweden.
Sweden is great too. I dont know, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Finland all these places are GREAT places to live. I have to pick one

Tags
architektur forum, tourist, travel tips