daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #181
heirloom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,099
Likes (Received): 2

uh unfortunately no

they'll probably finish t3 in 2006. but open in 2008
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #182
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
uh unfortunately no

they'll probably finish t3 in 2006. but open in 2008
If they finish in 2006....that could mean that they might open earlier than 2008...
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #183
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Er....I seriously doubt that T3 is going to be finished that quickly. There is simply no point rushing it forward, as we dont need the capacity now, and the longer it drags, the more the construction industry benefits!
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #184
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Er....I seriously doubt that T3 is going to be finished that quickly. There is simply no point rushing it forward, as we dont need the capacity now, and the longer it drags, the more the construction industry benefits!
True but then I'm a little anxious how it turns out........
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #185
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

I think it will still open in 2008 as scheduled...but it will probably be completed in 2007 in time for testing?

Cause looking at the progress in comparison to the progress at Bangkok's new airport, Bangkok's airport's structure and glass cladding is already partially done and it still needs another 18 months before opening...Singapore's T3 has only the structure in place... so it needs definitely more than 18 months...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #186
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
I think it will still open in 2008 as scheduled...but it will probably be completed in 2007 in time for testing?

Cause looking at the progress in comparison to the progress at Bangkok's new airport, Bangkok's airport's structure and glass cladding is already partially done and it still needs another 18 months before opening...Singapore's T3 has only the structure in place... so it needs definitely more than 18 months...
Yup.....I certainly feel that they are not opening it till 2008.....if not why do they spend millions upgrading T2 and T1(the T2 upgrading will be done in mid 2006 btw).......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #187
redstone
Lurker
 
redstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 14,056
Likes (Received): 52



Work on the new Glass Atria at Singapore's Changi Airport is now completed. Meinhardt provided structural design engineering of the glazing system and the tensioned cable structure of the two atria which are located at both end of the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) Station box adjacent to Terminal 2 and the proposed Terminal 3 Changi Airport.The purpose of the Atria is to cover the links between the above ground airport terminals and below ground station, keeping weather out. The atria allow as much light in as possible and the facades to the Atria appear as transparent as possible with due consideration to the climate inside.
Each atrium is approximately 60m long by 20m wide by 36m high from base level. A 6m x 8m x 300mm thick reinforced concrete stair core rises from foundation level in one corner of each Atria. The core supports a 4.5m deep x 1.5m wide x 100mm thick tapered propped cantilever spine beam. The spine beam is supported at the other end by an 'A' frame column and stability truss. Secondary structural tie 'rib beams' spring from the spine beam each at 3cm centers. These rib beams which form a point at the facade end support prestressed cable facade trusses. These 1.2m deep lightweight facade trusses spaced at 3m centre around the perimeter of the atria are tensioned all the way to the ground where they are anchored. The glass facade is supported off these trusses.

Meinhardt Facade Technology (MFT), acting in conjuction with Meinhardt Singapore, worked closely with YKK Architectural Products (S) during the tender period, providing value engineering and concept optimisation. Documentation and justification prepared by MFT was also crucial to winning the job.

The glass walls are the largest of their type to be built. The use of very high strength materials and tension truss configuration has resulted in a slender, transparent Structure.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #188
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

I dun noe about u guys....but everytime I arrived at Changi by MRT, I feel like exiting from the T3 exit.......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #189
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

me too...but unless I am with a group of friends I wouldn't dare go to the T3 end alone...hehe...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #190
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
me too...but unless I am with a group of friends I wouldn't dare go to the T3 end alone...hehe...
Actually I did try to go the T3 end alone......even manage to talk to some tourist about T3 bcos they were wondering what the hell am I doing there....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #191
heirloom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,099
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Yup.....I certainly feel that they are not opening it till 2008.....if not why do they spend millions upgrading T2 and T1(the T2 upgrading will be done in mid 2006 btw)....
t3 is not going to accommodate all of changi's passengers... barely even a third! even if t3 were to ope in 2006 or earlier, t1 and t2 would still require upgrading.

Last edited by heirloom; September 12th, 2004 at 08:08 AM.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #192
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

What did they ask you? How did it look like? They had nothing better to do but to ask you questions?

I loved the new fare gates at the T3 end when the extension had just opened...very sleek...gives an idea of how the old gates at the T2 end were to be replaced with contactless card readers only and with a much smaller gap between the gate flaps...the old gates looked so out of place...the gaps were so wide you could walk through it without inserting your magnetic card...

That was all I saw at the T3 end...beyond that it was quite dullish dark looking...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #193
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
[img]Yup.....I certainly feel that they are not opening it till 2008.....if not why do they spend millions upgrading T2 and T1(the T2 upgrading will be done in mid 2006 btw)....[/img]

t3 is not going to accommodate all of changi's passengers... barely even a third! even if t3 were to ope in 2006 or earlier, t1 and t2 would still require upgrading.
Especially T1....now it look even more "tired" when compared to T2.....

I certainly think they dun need to open T3 that soon cos there's also the budget terminal opening in 2006......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #194
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
What did they ask you? How did it look like? They had nothing better to do but to ask you questions?

I loved the new fare gates at the T3 end when the extension had just opened...very sleek...gives an idea of how the old gates at the T2 end were to be replaced with contactless card readers only and with a much smaller gap between the gate flaps...the old gates looked so out of place...the gaps were so wide you could walk through it without inserting your magnetic card...

That was all I saw at the T3 end...beyond that it was quite dullish dark looking...
Actually they were also looking around the station when they saw me....haha.....

They were asking me standard stuff like how come they did not open this end of the gate loh......then I tell them T3.........
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #195
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

Ya...but in my mind I still want it to open early no matter how impossible it is...want to see how they shift SIA operations to T3...the only one that I would be able to witness...back when T2 opened I didn't know what Changi Airport T2 was...when T1 opened I wasn't even born...

And I want to hear the new reports of how thousands of Singaporeans throng Changi T3 to witness the opening...and I demand to see the skylights at T3!

How is the People Mover System at Changi progressing?
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #196
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

where did they look like they were from?

Haha, so cool. you were there like speaking confidently: ''well thats our T3, it hasn't been completed yet...''
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #197
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
where did they look like they were from?

Haha, so cool. you were there like speaking confidently: ''well thats our T3, it hasn't been completed yet...''
Actually they were from Australia......

But then I hope they dun find my "England" ok......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #198
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Ya...but in my mind I still want it to open early no matter how impossible it is...want to see how they shift SIA operations to T3...the only one that I would be able to witness...back when T2 opened I didn't know what Changi Airport T2 was...when T1 opened I wasn't even born...
I vaguely remember paying a visit to the newly opened T2 when I was very young.....but then now I can only remember one thing which is the skytrain....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
And I want to hear the new reports of how thousands of Singaporeans throng Changi T3 to witness the opening...and I demand to see the skylights at T3!...
I think SMRT will be quite happy to see that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
How is the People Mover System at Changi progressing?
Not very sure about it....but the last time i went they were building the T1 station already....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #199
Ijud
Registered User
 
Ijud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Subang Jaya
Posts: 506
Likes (Received): 3

The PMS will have 7 stations right?? [email protected] and T2 and [email protected] right??
Ijud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #200
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!
 
babystan03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 17,706
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijud
The PMS will have 7 stations right?? [email protected] and T2 and [email protected] right??
Yup.......but not all are open to public.....some stations are built specially for transit/airside passengers.......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium