daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #41
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Raffi, when you return to Singapore, do remember to check out the state of the terminal's construction if you can!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #42
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

I will be able to see it as I leave T2.

The last time I went to the airport in October I could see this huge row of cranes along the length of where T3 will be - quite impressive to see them although no discernible structure then.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #43
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

i heard on the radio that there might a be a low cost terminal built just for budget airlines!!! excellent!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #44
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by heirloom

i heard on the radio that there might a be a low cost terminal built just for budget airlines!!! excellent!
Yeah...here's a thread about it:

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread...threadid=78221

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old December 27th, 2003, 03:52 AM   #45
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

From Straits Times

DEC 27, 2003
$250m upgrade for Changi Terminal 1
The aim is to remain aviation hub; Terminal 3 opening put off to 2008

By Karamjit Kaur
TRANSPORT CORRESPONDENT

CHANGI Airport's Terminal 1 will receive an extreme makeover, costing about $250 million, to ensure it remains a key aviation hub in the region.

The upgrade is likely to start in 2005 at the latest, and the decision comes 15 months after refurbishing work started on Terminal 2, where the improvements bill is also $250 million.

The announcement of the Terminal 1 plan was made by Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong to The Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao recently, when he said: 'The competition is going to get tougher, that's for sure, which is why we're putting in place all these plans or all these programmes to ensure that Changi is able to continue growing as an air hub.'

Mr Yeo also disclosed that the opening of Terminal 3 will be delayed by about two years, to early 2008.

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said it was premature to discuss details about plans for Terminal 1 but The Straits Times understands that more shops and food outlets will be added.

Terminal 1, which was opened in 1981, serves 51 airlines. Singapore Airlines flies only to Terminal 2, which is also used by several other airlines.

The two terminals have a total of 105 shops and 47 food and beverage outlets.

Terminal 2's upgrading will be done by 2005 and will add 2,000 sq m of retail and food and beverage space to the current 28,000 sq m, which is about half the size of the National Stadium.

The improvements are vital, as takings from the retail and food and beverage outlets - by way of rents and a portion of sales - contributed 60 per cent of CAAS' total revenue in the year ended March 31, 2002, or $527 million out of $879 million.

Terminal 1's upgrade is the first major improvement, although minor works have been done over the year, including enlarging the arrival and departure halls.

While important, Mr Yeo stressed that it was equally necessary to ensure that passengers are kept happy with an unmatched level of service.

While agreeing, several travellers also pointed out that good looks matter as much.

Businessman Roy Tan, 44, said: 'I always prefer going to Terminal 2 because it looks more modern and new. The whole place looks brighter and refreshing, especially when you go into the restricted area for passengers.

'Terminal 1, on the other hand, feels boring, with lighting that is duller as well.'

The delay in opening Terminal 3, with a passenger capacity of 20 million a year, will give rival Bangkok a head start when its new airport, with a capacity of 45 million, opens in September 2005.

Changi's Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 have a total passenger capacity of 44 million, more than enough for the 29 million travellers who passed through last year.

This year, with travel hit by the Iraq war and Sars, the number of visitors for the first 11 months of the year was about 22 million.

Although the aviation industry is on the road to recovery, and more people are taking to the skies again, Terminal 3 would not be needed until 2008, said the CAAS spokesman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright @ 2003 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #46
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Hm.....they are upgrading Terminal 2 to handle the A380 am i right? Coz the original plan to get T3 finished by 2006 was to coincide with SIA takung delivery of that plane?

Old December 28th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #47
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I suppose so. Think they are upgrading terminal 1 for A380 also since there is a possibility that there are other airlines which might also use A380 in the future.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #48
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by babystan03

I suppose so. Think they are upgrading terminal 1 for A380 also since there is a possibility that there are other airlines which might also use A380 in the future.
I tot they are only going to do it in T3, and simply move those airlines operating it to that terminal. Seems like they have too much cash to do it in every terminal!

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #49
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Introducing (in PICTURES)...Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 3...due 2008!!

These renderings and text are taken out from a book entitled "Changi by Design – Architecture of the
World’s Best Airport"
by Nirmal Kishnani. Painstakingly scanned and OCRed for your viewing and
reading pleasure!

First of...the conceptual stage:

In the processes that shaped the issues and priorities of T3 three schemes were generated and evaluated,
each with a somewhat exaggerated emphasis.

The Wave was an allegory of movement. The curvature of the roof tracked departing passenger flow
through the building, rising and falling to give emphasis to space and activity.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #50
huaiwei
The Monkey King

The Eye was an expression of technology, an anatomical analogy for the skylight above the Departure Hall,
made up of a matrix of steel and glass.

The Trellis was an exploration of climate with elements borrowed from vernacular architecture. Pergolas
and louvers meant to evoke the old-world charm of the veranda were used to modulate heat and light
from the tropical sun.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #51
huaiwei
The Monkey King

In the final scheme attributes from each study option were synthesised into a fourth entity, one that
rejected the monumentality of the Wave and merged the technological and climatic ideals of the Eye
and Trellis. The design of T3 however is far more complex than its prototypes. Behind the simplicity of its form
is an extraordinary level of detail.

Guiding its design are the perceived needs for continuity and change.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #52
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Continuity

Continuity addresses how the three terminals function collectively. A study carried out in the mid-1990s
identified movement between existing terminals and the network of roads. T3 incorporates passenger and baggage
systems that link the three terminals in a metaphorical holding of hands.

Of these, the People Mover System, dubbed Changi Skytrain, will be reconstructed into a full loop facilitating
transfers from one terminal to each of the others. The subterranean Inter-Terminal Baggage Transfer
System, which transports bags between Ti and T2, will be expanded into a three-terminal configuration
of tunnels.

In itself, the new terminal cannot be so different in itself as to necessitate a rethink of how service is managed
or delivered. The layout of T3 reveals that operationally, at least, it is the same as T1 and T2.

Its Arrival Hall is situated on the ground, Departure Hall one level up. Level 3 houses restaurants, viewing gallery
and airline lounges. A common datum across all terminals will allow users to move from one to the other
without a change in level. Private car, taxi and coach pick-up points will be situated at the front and sides of
the terminal building. An elevated road will rise up along the front of the building creating a kerbside drop-off for
the Departure Hall, much as it does in T1 and T2. Visitor parking takes place in T3's basements (T1 relies on
surface parking, T2 on aboveground car parks). This will give the main terminal hall greater visual prominence
along the Changi approach.

Unlike T1 and T2, the new terminal has a flat-roofed, orthogonal geometry with little fuss or articulation. Its
simplicity projects a strong image from a distance, an impression that is quickly reversed by the complexity of
its details. The roof is a sandwich of steel and glass, structure and skylights. The terminal facade, unadorned
from afar, is made up of a system of tensile elements and operable sunshades.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #53
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Change

The centrepiece of the terminal is its Departure Hall and its roof. Seen from the inside, the roof is a random
arrangement of skylights and baffles, framed within a grid of exposed steel trusses. Experts from around
the world are collaborating with T3's principal consultant, PWD Consultant's Airport Development Division, in
the design and construction of the roof.

T3's interior will also showcase a Green Wall, a 'vertical garden' that runs the breadth and height of the
terminal hall, covered with live plants and waterfalls. Departing passengers walking towards the immigration
clearance counters will pass through openings in the Wall. Arrivals will encounter the same Wall one
level below as they approach immigration counters. The baggage claim area opens up to the Departure Hall
above, allowing these passengers the opportunity of experiencing the canopy roof.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #54
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #55
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Epilogue

To say that Changi, with the coming of T3, will catch-up with design-savvy airports elsewhere is to miss the point behind its user-centric philosophy. The pragmatism of Changi never precluded the esoteric. T1 and T2 were however pitched at the traveller of the 1970s and 1980s, pegged to the issues of the time. The 1990s' projects signalled a shift in user-expectations towards a keener design sensibility. T3 merely affirms this trend.

What sets T3 apart from newer airports in the region is a deep-seated scepticism of the grand gesture. There is an underlying fear that in giving in to the big design statement something will be lost, that the well-tested Changi philosophy might somehow be compromised.

T3 therefore walks the line between old and new paradigms. As it makes a bid for a distinctive experience, distinguishing itself from older terminals at Changi and new airports elsewhere, it checks to see if it has strayed too far.

The outcome was being calibrated as this book took shape. The broad stroke is in place. As images of the new terminal suggest, it is one that strives for delight through light and space, landscaping and texture. The reliance on technology is in a sense a return to roots. It was very much the strategy for T1. When Changi's first terminal opened one encountered an environment that was on the cutting edge of design.

Technology then was about asserting confidence - a young nation taking a grown-up step. Today it is about bridging expectations, reaching out to the mobile-savvy traveller who is spoilt by choice. T3 aims at basic human needs, using light and greenery in a calculated approach.

The battle of perception however is not just about the traveller; it is also about the Singaporean who has come to expect more of the nation's public buildings. The new Singapore Arts Centre, National Library and Supreme Court extension are symptomatic of this expectation. These projects, each a distinctive building by a well-known designer, do more than deliver functionality; they aspire to be national symbols as well. They suggest that the Singaporean audience - affluent and well travelled - cannot be ignored.

What has changed most perhaps is the manner in which the question of design is articulated. In the 1970s little was said of how Changi would be perceived spatially and visually, other than operational needs that it would address. With T3 it is openly acknowledged that it aims to capture the imagination of its users. The argument is sometimes still couched in functionalist language - energy savings through inclusion of natural light - as if beauty needs qualification. There is, however, no escaping the crafted quality of its design or its bid to impart pleasure. Despite past reservations, Delight takes its rightful place alongside Firmness and Commodity.

(more coming up! )

Old March 11th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #56
heirloom

it looks bigger than terminals 1 and 2 combined! the last pic showing the carousels... those things between the green walls are they waterfall curtains or glass?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #57
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

It looks nice and sophisticated, but Singapore airport overall looks like clumps of different buildings that do not match each other. So when the new terminal finishes it looks more hightech than other terminals thus it doesn't unify. Does Singapore airport have any plans to renovate the existing terminals?

Kuala Lumpur International, Incheon International Airport, Hong Kong International, Kansai International, and the new Bangkok Airport are all examples of unified airport(that includes their future terminal expansion designs)
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #58
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Even as I speak, the older terminals are now undergoing renovations to keep them up-to-date and give them a new look.

Terminal 2 Upgrading

Changi Airport is upgrading again! This time, Terminal 2 will be undergoing an entire facelift with the aim of better serving air travellers. This will be done in 3 ways. First, any deficiency and weakness in the existing building design are identified and rectified. Second, the transit area will be enlarged to increase Terminal 2's handling capacity. Third, more shops and F & B options will be made available to airport users with better space planning.

With the facelift, airport users can expect significant enhancements to Terminal 2 functional areas. There will be an extended canopy at the departure kerbside to provide shelter against inclement weather, the departure check-in hall and arrival immigration hall will be revamped with posh architectural finishes as well as designer landscape to make them more welcoming and friendly. Airport users will also find that the intelligent use of natural lights and removal of low ceiling areas result in a departure check-in hall with better clarity and easier way-finding. For the avid shoppers, more shops with interesting shop fronts will add to their shopping pleasure within the transit area. Food lovers will be delighted to find more F & B options in both the public and transit area.

Also, you will find that T3 is actually the final stage of a horse-shoe design conceived in the 1970s that planned for 3 terminals. And no doubt, they will be well integrated for maximum ease.

New Automated People Mover system to link Changi Airport's three Terminals

Passengers making inter-terminal flight connections at Singapore Changi Airport will find it a breeze even after Terminal 3 opens in 2006. The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) is installing a new S$135 million Automated People Mover System to make transfers between the three terminals convenient and seamless.

The new Automated People Mover System will comprise of ten train services linking the three terminals through 6.5 kilometres of elevated train tracks. The new system will have a total of seven train stations: two stations in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 respectively and three stations in Terminal 3.

The new trains will come equipped with LCD screens in the cabins, giving flight information and other airport information. The cabins will also have more vertical stanchions and handholds, as well as designated areas for baggage trolleys, enhancing the convenience of users. There will also be plasma TV displays at the train stations to inform passengers of the arrival time of the next train.

Work on the new Automated People Mover System will begin in December 2002 and is expected to be completed in 2006

Changi first opened T1 in 1981 and then moved smoothly to T2 in 1990 so I believe they will have the experience of handling the inclusion of T3 with ease. I believe the other regional airports mentioned were built when their terminals could not cope with expansion for whatever reason and new massive airports had to be built from scratch.
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #59
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Oh, and it seems that the Singapore planners are steps ahead when it comes to thinking beyond Terminal 3. They have just completed land reclamation off the airport on the country's East coast that will in future provide necessary space for airport expansion, besides an airbase and aerospace exhibition area

btw great pics huaiwei, keep them coming!
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #60
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally posted by heirloom

it looks bigger than terminals 1 and 2 combined! the last pic showing the carousels... those things between the green walls are they waterfall curtains or glass?
They are waterfalls....as has been described in the text above it.