daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM   #81
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

The Departure Hall:

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #82
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Q+A with Teng Wai Man

No other Southeast Asian architect has quite the same breath of experience in airports. The success of Changi has made him much sought-after in locations as diverse as Seychelles, Manila, Fiji and China. Over the last 20 years, Teng Wai Man actively designed or design-managed each of Changi's terminal-related projects. He now heads the team at PWD Consultants' Airport Development Division (ADD) that will deliver T3. In a candid interview, he reflects on the evolution of airports and Changi.

Let's start with the airport. What are your thoughts on the architecture of airports?

The same as for architecture in general: that it seems to have become removed from the reality of its users. Architects - or maybe I should say the way architecture is presented by the architectural media - has divorced the building from its occupants. They have become its garnish, when they should be the primary ingredient. As a profession we sometimes subscribe to an inbred logic and a private audience.

Are you suggesting that architects don't pay enough attention to the way people see their buildings or do you think there is there a fundamental problem?

It's a fundamental problem. The way we define 'good' is askew. It shouldn't simply be a case of asking, "What do people want?" It should be designing with their eyes.

Is there a danger here of becoming overly pragmatic? Worse still, of ending up with the kitsch one sees in the Singapore suburbs. Is that not a reflection of what people want?

First, you have to distinguish between the public and private realms. The balance between public good and private entitlement shifts across the spectrum of buildings. For residential projects, yes, the owner is king. Even if you and I disagree with his preference we have to respect his rights. As designers we have the ultimate prerogative of turning down his commission. With an airport a designer must consider the needs of a community of users where there can be conflicting needs and preferences. Here, the architect becomes arbitrator.

Second, 'pragmatic' does not imply the absence of vision.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:53 PM   #83
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

I was at Changi last Friday and could see that the construction has progressed rapidly, with huge structures seen. In fact if they wanted they could complete it much faster than 2008 IMO.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #84
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

from the taxi on 26.4.04

heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #85
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Wow! I see the roof! !

Raffie, they might actually complete it but hold back its opening?

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #86
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Wow! I see the roof! !

Raffie, they might actually complete it but hold back its opening?
If passenger traffic rise are encouraging, perhaps they might want to open it early???
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:26 AM   #87
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I never thought about it. I thought they'd spread out the construction till 2008, but looks like they will build at normal speed?

Who knows maybe they say the will open in 2008 but suddenly open earlier and surprise our rivals? LOL
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #88
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

Nice interior, but the roof makes me wanna puke
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:57 AM   #89
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I supposed the roof design is of a aquired taste.....just as some might not like durians??
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #90
heirloom

hrmm not acquired taste perhaps maybe just hate / love it.. but i suppose this roof has less of such an effect than the durians.
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #91
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I actually happen to like the roof......it kinda stand out in a way bjork stand out in the music scene.....

Kinda weird kinda messy....yet unique and charismatic........
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #92
RafflesCity
By Spirit

This kind of roof has to be appreciated for how it lets the light through. Beauty in functionality.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #93
heirloom

mmm i dont think it's really bjork... bjork would be perhaps a gaudi? i think this is more like.. a faye wong - subscribes to the masses (glassiness) yet with very individual quirk (the sunlight-reactive roof) and thus very practical (different yet popular).
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #94
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom
Nice interior, but the roof makes me wanna puke
Hahaa...most renderings tend to make the subject look prettier then they are...I wonder if in this case, it will be the opposite?

Well..we just hope so then?

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #95
vvill

the design of the airport is architecturally boring. i really don't know what's wrong with SOM these days. most of their recent projects are very disappointing (say SOM's scheme for the WTC redevelopment competition)

i mean they can't really put a bloody box there and just play a bit with the roof to make it slightly more interesting. even a first year architectural student knows how to do that.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #96
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill
the design of the airport is architecturally boring. i really don't know what's wrong with SOM these days. most of their recent projects are very disappointing (say SOM's scheme for the WTC redevelopment competition)

i mean they can't really put a bloody box there and just play a bit with the roof to make it slightly more interesting. even a first year architectural student knows how to do that.
Actually....SOM designed only the roof!

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #97
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:

At first this seems "professional".....then in another thread I saw "go CX!!".....then in the previous thread I saw "SOM only design the roof"......

Suddenly everything seems so clear.....
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #98
vvill

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
At first this seems "professional".....then in another thread I saw "go CX!!".....then in the previous thread I saw "SOM only design the roof"......

Suddenly everything seems so clear.....
i'm sorry. but i don't understand the statement you're trying to establish here.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #99
vvill

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Actually....SOM designed only the roof!
that makes a bit more sense.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #100
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
that makes a bit more sense.
Hehe....cant really "blame" you for not realising it coz I have not finished posting the entire text from the book which accompanied the pictures (still havent finished posting the pictures too...its exhasting!). There was a mention of this somewhere I think.

Anyway, in a sense they cant make the new terminal's design a complete departure from the existing two terminals, as it actually forms one of the "legs" in what looks like a claw-shaped configuration for the three terminals. In fact, the original plan was for Terminal 3 to be an exact dublicate of Terminal 2, as mentioned in the beginning of the text above, but they decided to be a let their hair loose a little I suppose. So the body itself still stays rather boxy and conventional, but the hairstyle was quite...errm......permed-up?

I will try to post a graphic map of all three terminals later if I can find it.