daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #121
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I read that they are planning some amenities in the crown. So Spire is not possible.

image hosted on flickr

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by JohnFlint1985; November 23rd, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #122
Dubrovnik
Architectural Digest

Likes (Received): 2582

Love it

Dubrovnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #123
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

So the height including crown is 192m? If so, it should be in the highrises section.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #124
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Ok, that's exactly why I was asking. As soon as we know how tall it would be including the crown, we should ask a moderator to change the title.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #125
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
Why should we ask a mod to change the title? With the crown, it's a skyscraper.

The only title that should be changed is the Waterview in Chicago to high rise since it's only being built to 50 stories.
because it's easier to orientate when the exact height is given. and why should the 192m stay when everyone knows it's well over 200m?

EDIT: btw: 50 stories doesn't mean a height <200m. there are many skyscrapers with less floor count. or do you know the height of the waterview tower?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #126
MissyC

wow! what if the crown was covered with gold plates or at least gleaming gold! beautifu tower idd.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #127
jwalas

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #128
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

This building looks really classy, especially for a filler. An example of what not to build for a filler would be that yellowish color piece of crap to the right of it in the pic above.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #129
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

Why does the spire/antenna of the conde nast building have to be that tall? It is a disgrace to the skyline.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #130
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Because it replaces the old transmission mast for TV signals which was up on WTC1's roof.
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #131
jwalas

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #132
Cativo

Likes (Received): 8

here are two pics I took this last Saturday(11/21)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #133
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

This is the most elegant non supertall i have seen built in a long longggg time. I say this because it has an older new york style to it where most new buildings are all glass and have flat windows. I love it its one of my favorites now, I cant wait to see how it looks at night.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #134
MDguy

i thought i'd hate it! I like it!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM   #135
jwalas

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM   #136
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16341

Amazings pictures,amazing skyscraper

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #137
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

nice one, the way the sharp windows look with the flat parts of the building is great.the roof is class.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #138
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Ok, that's exactly why I was asking. As soon as we know how tall it would be including the crown, we should ask a moderator to change the title.
I'd say it is good four flours additional for the crown. take about 15 ft per floor and you have 60 ft which is about 18 meters additional to 192. so you have about 210m.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #139
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
I'd say it is good four flours additional for the crown. take about 15 ft per floor and you have 60 ft which is about 18 meters additional to 192. so you have about 210m.
well, it doesn't look that high from the pics, but i guess you are right. 690 - 700 ft will be the final height.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #140
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

NYguy, SSP

http://nyrej.com/37129

Bizzi & Partners Development celebrates 570,000 s/f 400 Fifth Ave. with topping out

According to Bizzi & Partners Development, LLC, the development of 400 Fifth Ave., a luxury high-rise commercial hotel, residential tower hotel and residential condominium, has reached a milestone in construction and was celebrated with a topping out ceremony held on October 30.

The project has been designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects, and consists of a 60 floor building with a total gross area of approximately 570,000 s/f. The development will contain a five star hotel, with 214 hotel rooms, including 157 guestrooms and 57 hotel/suite apartments, a gracious lobby, restaurant, bar, spa, health club, and other amenities. Topping the tower will be 190 luxurious Midtown Manhattan residential condominiums. The project is scheduled to be completed in fall 2010.

"400 Fifth Ave. will add to the overall historic and landmark character of midtown Manhattan, and will provide a number of exquisite amenities rivaling that of any luxury hotel or residence in New York City. The development will offer the most luxurious services found here or abroad," said Giuseppe Rossi, executive vice president.

"The design of the building consists of a tower set back from the street, atop a 10-story base or podium. The expression of the tower and base as distinct components affords the flexibility to respond to the context of multiple scales, that of the city, the street, and the pedestrian, each on its own terms," said Robert Siegel.

"The podium of the building reinforces the precedent of street-wall buildings. One of the great challenges in designing this building was to relate to the three surrounding landmark structures in terms of scale, rhythm, and materiality. The base or Piano Rustico is formed by the arcade expression of the first three floors. Consistent with the Tiffany and Gorham buildings, this expression of singular, large scale openings consolidating multiple floor levels reinforces the gracious scale of the block at the street level," said Siegel.

A curving facade segment, at the intersection of Fifth Ave. and West 36th St., continues the rhythm of the windows while acknowledging the continuity of the "front" facade, which extends from the residential entrance on 36th St. to the hotel entrance on Fifth Ave. Limestone cladding at the podium relates the new building's materials to the rich and varied palette of stone cladding characteristic of the adjacent historic structures.