daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #21
7t

Our railway infrastructure is currently in an abysmal state. The government is devising plans to give them through concession though. There were a couple of bids earlier in the year by two czech and estionian companies that wanted to take over the whole network but the offers weren't satisfying enough so both bids failed.
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #22
EC 120 Košičan

Likes (Received): 0

those people on those mašinįch no mistake. It was also nįs.U if you are permitted to ride? Your T669 series goes under the name of our 770th I would like to ask if they know what is the official web site of the railway in your country. Thank you in advance

http://opava-vlaky.blog.cz/
EC 120 Košičan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #23
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Incredible pictures!!!!

Which is the actual situation of the Albanian network?
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #24
Jozsef Bedenek

A few more pictures

From October, 2008:

Gallery of the 2008 visit:
http://www.freeweb.hu/mozdonyok/phpa...1=081019_23%2F
Jozsef Bedenek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #25
EC 120 Košičan

Albanian railway network was begun in 1917. The total number of operating is 447 kilometers and for independent traction.

http://www.luko2.com/images/mapy/inf..._zeleznice.jpg
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #26
alacanti

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks for the pictures. I love this kind of trains and the landscape is beautiful.
alacanti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #27
Jozsef Bedenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
looks absolutely terrible, 40 kph, bouncing around in the grass hoping the crappy old locomotive won't burst into flames? Why do they still run trains and who rides them? I'd think a bus would be far more attractive to travelers. Are there no roads, even dirt ones
The main roads connecting the bigger cities are in very good condition, and they are building more and more so called highways with 2+2 lanes and speed limit set at 90 kph. What was interesting that at junctions they built roundabouts to reduce costs, and on the earlier built sections there are speed limits to 30 or 40 kph, because houses are built near the highway, and garages could be approached directly from there.

The only crappy part of our trip was between Fier and Vlore, where the new road is not finished yet.

There's lot of private direct taxis connecting the cities, but as far as I know there's no national coach companies. They are much faster than the railway, but the prices are also higher. The Vlore-Pogradec trip costs about 3$, and that is the most expensive one-way trip in the country.

Wednesday morning in Lushnje:

On the Tirane-Shkoder, Tirane-Pogradec and Tirane-Vlore lines there's only one train a day, so as I saw they were crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC 120 Košičan View Post
I would like to ask if they know what is the official web site of the railway in your country. Thank you in advance
The official site is not available, fares and timetables could be found here http://www.mpptt.gov.al, under Transporti > Transporti Hekurudhor >

The first link is a summary about the network, the second loads the timetables, and last one the fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavito View Post
Which is the actual situation of the Albanian network?
Check out http://www.angelfire.com/ak/hekurudha/index.html, although it's not recently updated it's accurate.

I've uploaded the gallery from our last trip, if you're interested you can find it here.

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #28
EC 120 Košičan

Our official site of Czech Railways a.s (corporation) http://www.cd.cz/ and timetables are the best on this page http://www.zelpage.cz/razeni/09/vlaky/cd-118. On this page you can find timetables from different year. Procedure: LIST OF COURSES-choose track or identify sorting and trains from passenger trains to better SuperCity Pendolino. Procedure: Sorting Train and choose the Czech Republic in 2009. Even cutting the trains by clicking on a coach you can find out what the wagon trains moved at a particular train and the train which will continue and some information about the coaches.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #29
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Incredible pictures!

Nowadays the international link of the Albanian Railways is just for freight trains. But did any regular passenger train use this line?
Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Jozsef Bedenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavito View Post
Nowadays the international link of the Albanian Railways is just for freight trains. But did any regular passenger train use this line?
That line is a freight only line, was built in 1984.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #31
perdurabo
Silesian InExile

Likes (Received): 4753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozsef Bedenek View Post
Polish steamer TKt48, one of my favourites, this is first steamer i saw and ride in as kid, in Poland it had nickname "donkey"
perdurabo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #32
blogen_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

blogen_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #33
Kulla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 846

EBRD to finance feasibility study for Albania's Tirana-Durres railway network

Balkans.com Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 14.06.2010
Albania’s Prime Minister Sali Berisha appreciated the support of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD ) in funding projects in sectors of importance for the Albanian economy, mainly in the sector of transports and energy.

During a meeting with the EBRD Director for Western Balkans, Claudio Viezzoli, Berisha expressed the Albanian government's full commitment for the realization of Tirana ring-road project, considering it one of the vital projects for the economic development of the country and the capital, but also as a project to improve the citizens' living standards.

Claudio Viezzoli highlighted the progress of cooperation with the Albanian government.

Caludio Viezzoli praised the positive progress of cooperation with the Albanian government and briefed on the expansion of this cooperation through financing the feasibility study for Tirana – Durres railway network, which will include Tirana airport
Kulla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #34
Kulla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 846

Qeveria i rikthehet projektit tė trenit elektrik

TIRANE - Qeveria shqiptare i rikthehet projektit tė trenit elektrik. Berisha ka pranuar sot qė financimin e projektit tė studimit tė fiziblitetit pėr hekurudhėn Tiranė-Durrės, i cili pėrfshin dhe aeroportin e Tiranės ta kryeje Banka Europiane pėr Rindertim dhe Zhvillim. Kryeministri Berisha ka takuar sot drejtorin pėr vendet e Ballkanit Perendimor tė BERZH Claudio Viezoli ku vlerėsoi kontributin e kėsaj banke nė financimin e projekteve sic ėshtė rehablitimi i rrugės Fier-Tepelenė, projekti i zhvillimit tė rrugėve bashkiake, projekti Levan-Vlorė, TEC i Vlorės, Porti i Durrėsit etj.

Historia e projektit tė trenit elektrik ka nisur vite mė parė qysh nė kohėn e ish-kryeministrit Nano dhe ish ministrit tė transproteve Spartak Poci. Nė 2005 qeveria shqiptare e sapo dalė nga zgjedhjet dhe e kryesuar nga Berisha prishi nė mėnyrė tė njėanshme kontratėn me kompaninė amerikane “General electric” cėshtje e cila i kaloi nė 2008 Gjykatės Ndėrkombėtare tė arbitrazhit e cila gjobiti Shqipėrinė me 20 milion dollarė.

Projekti i trenit elektrik pėrfshinte ndėrtimin e njė hekurudhe tė re 38 kilometra tė gjatė qė do tė lidhte Tiranėn me Durrėsin e mė pas me Golemin. Bashkė me hekurudhėn parashikohej edhe ndėrtimi i infrastrukturės pėrfshirė sinjalistikėn dhe sistemin e telekomunikacionit qė mendohej tė montohej nė vagonėt dhe stacionet e trenit. Krahas kėsaj, parashikohej edhe ndėrtimi i njė degėzimi rreth 6 kilometra tė gjatė qė do tė lidhte hekurudhėn me aeroportin "Nėnė Tereza". Mė njė shumė totale rreth 75 milionė dollarė, projekti parashikohej tė pėrmbyllej brenda njė periudhe kohore 2 vjeēare duke filluar mė pas shfrytėzimin e saj.

(m.a/News24/BalkanWeb)

Some more news about buying Electric Trains
Kulla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #35
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozsef Bedenek View Post
That line is a freight only line, was built in 1984.
Why do they never open that line for passenger service?

If they open it for passenger service it should change a lot for the Albanian railways. That should make it possible to take a train from Albania to the rest of Europe.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #36
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

I like it!
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #37
6opuC

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Why do they never open that line for passenger service?

If they open it for passenger service it should change a lot for the Albanian railways. That should make it possible to take a train from Albania to the rest of Europe.
Maybe becouse money. Freight is much more profitable than passenger transport.

Last edited by 6opuC; January 5th, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
6opuC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #38
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

But before international rail services are even considered, the internal rail network has to be modernized to a massive degree. 40 kph is what? 30 mph? Albania's new roads are superior to the rail system--I find profitability unlikely even for a Tirane-Podgorica link.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #39
6opuC

Likes (Received): 63

25mph.
6opuC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #40
endrity

Likes (Received): 723

I think we'll still see investment in the road infrastructure for at least 5 more years. However, by 2015, if everything that is planned to be built until now is really built, than potentially we could see the focus shift from road to railways. Croatia is currently going through the same process, and Poland and the Czech Republic pretty much are done rebuilding their main highways and are now planning investments in rail.
endrity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
albania