daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #21
neromancer

Likes (Received): 10580

neromancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #22
neromancer

Old August 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #23
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Nice photos! Is Moscow an expensive city to visit?
I do not think there is a short and easy answer to this. It depends on

1. your expectations for your bill and experience
2. your actual bill and experience

Combinations of the above may include everything. For the first visit I would definitely recommmend connecting with locals and/or with somebody who has travelled Moscow before.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #24
tonyssa

Very nice photos!
tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #25
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

No can see pictures! None of them! Nichevo!
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #26
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 3

Awesome shots man thanks. I'm going there for about a week over christmas time. I'd imagine the streets aren't so busy then, is there much on in the city to do? cultural and concerts n such? and what kind of temperatures should I expect? Cheers
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #27
neromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Awesome shots man thanks. I'm going there for about a week over christmas time. I'd imagine the streets aren't so busy then, is there much on in the city to do? cultural and concerts n such? and what kind of temperatures should I expect? Cheers
Come, we always welcome our guests No, Moscow is a busy city, you see the old, narrow streets and alleys of the center. And there really is not so lively. Well pedestrian streets. With regard to museums and concerts? In Moscow, a lot of museums, art galleries, private galleries of contemporary art. As for the concerts have to look before you arrive. It takes a lot of concerts and festivals. In Moscow, a rich cultural life. Temperature. In the winter cold. It happens to 20 below zero. But not often. Now winter warm enough. The average temperature - 5, -10
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #28
neromancer

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #29
neromancer

Last edited by neromancer; September 18th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #30
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Warning to tourists to Moscow

Even though I did not like Russia, I must admit your pictures are very nice. Moscow is a visually nice city in many areas. I did not however, find it to be tourist friendly at all. Having a russian speaker with you is ESSENTIAL.

I must give a warning to non-Russians that are responding to these pics wanting to visit there. Beware of the police in Moscow! Stay away from policemen if you see them. I am serious. They are very corrupt, and may try to victimize you by demanding you to show them your passport and claiming that there is a problem with your visa. They try to scare you into believing that this problem is very severe and then try to get you to pay them to let you off. This happened to me in Moscow, and it happened to a friend of mine on his trip as well. They wanted $200 dollars from each of us (there were five of us, so $1000 dollars total!) to let us off. Do not pay! After arguing back and forth for a while, they realized that they were not going to get the money out of us, and had to let us go. This is a common occurrence and I suspect that many tourists just pay them what they want.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #31
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Even though I did not like Russia, I must admit your pictures are very nice. Moscow is a visually nice city in many areas. I did not however, find it to be tourist friendly at all. Having a russian speaker with you is ESSENTIAL.

I must give a warning to non-Russians that are responding to these pics wanting to visit there. Beware of the police in Moscow! Stay away from policemen if you see them. I am serious. They are very corrupt, and may try to victimize you by demanding you to show them your passport and claiming that there is a problem with your visa. They try to scare you into believing that this problem is very severe and then try to get you to pay them to let you off. This happened to me in Moscow, and it happened to a friend of mine on his trip as well. They wanted $200 dollars from each of us (there were five of us, so $1000 dollars total!) to let us off. Do not pay! After arguing back and forth for a while, they realized that they were not going to get the money out of us, and had to let us go. This is a common occurrence and I suspect that many tourists just pay them what they want.
This problem is very current in Russia and Ukraine. The transport system is very bad in both countries and Cops are corrupt and have the monopoly. What actually is deceiving is that the governments don't act against this shocking exploitation of people. It's a shame
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #32
yianni

:)

lovely town
i mostly saw the russian language on businesses in moscow which is great to see,but i also saw foreign fastfoods such as pizza hut,mcdonalds etc using the russian alphabet.is there a language law in russia ?
yianni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #33
russianpride

Likes (Received): 3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukraine View Post
The transport system is very bad in both countries
I do not agree that Moscow public transport system is bad. It is really very effective, punctual and cheap. Also many tourists say that moscow transport system is the best in the world or one of best. It has only one problem for tourists: very few signs in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukraine View Post
and Cops are corrupt and have the monopoly
Yes, many of them are corrupt, but if you do not have any problems with registration, visa etc you should not worry.

Last edited by russianpride; September 4th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
russianpride no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #34
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5832

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianni View Post
lovely town
i mostly saw the russian language on businesses in moscow which is great to see,but i also saw foreign fastfoods such as pizza hut,mcdonalds etc using the russian alphabet.is there a language law in russia ?
As far a I know, there is no law that would forbid English, or any other language signs. In cultural autonomies there are some local language laws and regulations, and you you may see signs in Russian and local language (Tatar for example). But I do not know any law that would restrict use of any language anywhere in the country.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #35
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

i need to visit
corredor06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #36
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianpride View Post
Yes, many of them are corrupt, but if you do not have any problems with registration, visa etc you should not worry.
No. That is the point, they CLAIM that you have a problem with your visa or registration whether you actually do or not. It doesn't matter if your paperwork is in order. They are hoping that the language barrier and their authority will scare you into believing that the problem they claim is legitimate. Our visas were fine.

One thing they will try to get you on is the fact that there is this stupid law that says if you are in a Russian city for more than 3 days you must have your visa "registered" in Russia either by your hotel (if they do that) or by a city office. But if you are in Moscow for LESS THAN 3 days, you do not need this registration. In fact, they will not even give it to you if you ask. So the cops will claim you needed the registration even if you didn't need it because you're there for less than 3 days.

The best way to avoid this problem to stay the hell away from police officers! If you see some, walk the other way!
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #37
yianni

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
As far a I know, there is no law that would forbid English, or any other language signs. In cultural autonomies there are some local language laws and regulations, and you you may see signs in Russian and local language (Tatar for example). But I do not know any law that would restrict use of any language anywhere in the country.
thanks for your help
yianni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #38
neromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Yes, our police are very corrupt. But these cops themselves violated the law. If you speak Russian, it was necessary to ask to take you to the police office and contact with the embassy. In these cases, they are afraid and are lagging behind. Or option with mobile phone dial 02 and report about illegal detention, calls are recorded and they can be problemy.I repeat their actions are absolutely illegal and punishable.
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #39
neromancer

Last edited by neromancer; September 18th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #40
neromancer