daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #541
Yilku1
Rosario. Pueblo grande.

Likes (Received): 3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzmann View Post
Where and when are these been applied?
And how will they improve rail transport?
Buenos Aires-Mar del Plata, 6 hrs 47 min, starts in December. In the next year will be 1 hrs less.

The gov will prioritize and modernize cargo trains in the north with the Plan Belgrano instead of passenger trains. The north is very poor, and the gov plans to make transport easy so products from there are cheaper to export.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzmann View Post
I've seen that Buenos Aires - Rosario is being improved, any info on what speeds will the trains get and how much time will the travel take when it's done (instead of the current 7 and half hours)?
Less than 5 hours by end of the year when the works are done

dimlys1994, DanielFA, Joseph85 liked this post
Yilku1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #542
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=536

Passenger trains return to Mar del Plata
Wednesday, November 23, 2016

THE restoration of passenger services between Buenos Aires and Mar del Plata reached a milestone on November 22, when the first test train arrived in Argentina’s seventh-largest city following the completion of a project to upgrade infrastructure on part of the Roca Line

Passenger services to Mar del Plata were suspended last year following the collapse of a bridge across the Rio Salado near Guerrero. The 100-year-old bridge has now been replaced by a new 250m-long reinforced concrete structure

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

DanielFA, Auxodium liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #543
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5628

I share with you a video posted in the Argentine forums of the Buenos Aires-Rosario service from Decembre 20:

DanielFA, Jobber, baerd liked this post
Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #544
Mariwa

Likes (Received): 73

South America by Rail

Hi Friends !

I am railroad fan and retired sailor from Poland. I enjoyed some short rail trips in Ecuador, Brazil and Chile before, when sailed on board various merchant ships. Now I have enough time (and saved some money for it) to look closer at the railways on your continent.
Nowadays the railway network in South America is like a patchwork and to set up a clever plan of my trip I need a truthful info about the railroads which are still in operation. May you advise me active passenger and cargo railroads and it’s operators in Argentina? I will be very grateful for your help.

Best Regards & Happy New Year

Anticalaca, DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Mariwa; January 7th, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Mariwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #545
Anticalaca

Likes (Received): 981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariwa View Post
Hi Friends !

I am railroad fan and retired sailor from Poland. I enjoyed some short rail trips in Ecuador, Brazil and Chile before, when sailed on board various merchant ships. Now I have enough time (and saved some money for it) to look closer at the railways on your continent.
Nowadays the railway network in South America is like a patchwork and to set up a clever plan of my trip I need a truthful info about the railroads which are still in operation. May you advise me active passenger and cargo railroads and it’s operators in Argentina? I will be very grateful for your help.

Best Regards & Happy New Year
Hi Mariwa!! I'm sorry to dissapoint you if you want to travel by train in Argentina, but with the exception of the city of Buenos Aires and surroundings, you wont see trains... maybe the line that run between Buenos Aires and Rosario, with luck, because of the lack of services. Anyway, good luck with your trip!!!

Best regards!!
Anticalaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #546
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

What about the trains to Cordoba and Tucuman? And there are cargo trains to many parts of the country. And also the train service from Viedma to Bariloche in Patagonia. There are also some short local train services in Cordoba, Salta, Resistencia and Neuquen cities.
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #547
Yilku1
Rosario. Pueblo grande.

Likes (Received): 3204

You can use this map: http://www.sateliteferroviario.com.a.../mapa_mdsf.jpg

Blue: Passengers lines
Green: Tourist
Orange: Suspended passengers lines

Anticalaca, DanielFA, Treg11 liked this post
Yilku1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #548
Anticalaca

Likes (Received): 981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajiro1 View Post
What about the trains to Cordoba and Tucuman? And there are cargo trains to many parts of the country. And also the train service from Viedma to Bariloche in Patagonia. There are also some short local train services in Cordoba, Salta, Resistencia and Neuquen cities.
Yep, you're right. I was mistaken. I should mention that ones too. Specially the ones to Cordoba and Tucuman, since they're long distance branchs. Thanks for the correction

DanielFA, Guajiro1 liked this post
Anticalaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #549
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Short video from the Buenos Aires-Rosario service:

dimlys1994, Treg11, DanielFA, JuanRuano, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 26th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #550
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1676

Why were so many lines suspended in only the last few years? Also will they be returned to service eventually?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #551
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

When the works are done to put them back in good shape, yes. Or at least that's what we hope.

DanielFA, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #552
MatuARG

Likes (Received): 5684

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Why were so many lines suspended in only the last few years? Also will they be returned to service eventually?
There are a few problems:
_the previous services were bad, and on most cases they only ran on a weekly basis and frankly thats not what a passanget services are supposed to be.

_tracks are on most cases old with minor repairs. (specially on the orange lines)

_Rolling stock was from the 60's and 70's national manufactured Materfer in asociation with toshiba and weerkspoor. Noble coaches but their time to retire has come.

_the efforts of the government to restore the tracks are insuficient, especially because their look to the other side for almost 25 years (1990-2012) before realizing that investment was necessary.

_Currently they are renewing the buenos aires rosario line (whitch is the most important line in Argentina) the mar del plata line (whitch leads to the country's biggest vacation center) and there are renovations of different intensity on the trains to Junin , Bragado and Bahia Blanca, that comes along with new services that use Chinese trains, even so the trains are slow in comparison to what they could achieve.

_the most important thing is that railways in Argentina are granted to private operators and them are responsible to maintain the infrastructure and the rolling stock that was delivered to them in 93', that model was an absolute failure. Resulting in 0 track maintenance and lack of support to passenger trains.

_today is not clear what model the administration will chose, but a change is needed, probably the govt leans towards an Open Access system with the infrastructure managed by the state with the nationalized company "Trenes Argentinos - Cargas" competing with private operators such as "Nuevo Central Argentino" "Ferrosur" and "Ferroexpreso Pampeano".

DanielFA liked this post
MatuARG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #553
DanielFA
Eisenbahnfan

Likes (Received): 28745

Some recent videos of the new Chinese locomotives working

Metric gauge:

Broad gauge:

"Die Eisenbahn ist für mich ein Symbol des Lebens: Man sitzt ruhig und bewegt sich doch schnell vorwärts." (Wolfgang Korruhn)

lechevallierpatrick, Anticalaca liked this post
DanielFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #554
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Beautiful passing of a cargo train throught the Pampean grasslands near Maciel, Santa Fe Province:

Long distance passenger train heading to Rosario passes by a cargo train:

DanielFA, Anticalaca, Jobber liked this post

Last edited by Guajiro1; November 8th, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #555
Joseph85

Likes (Received): 6119

Metropolitan Railway Santiago del Estero City

Update

DanielFA liked this post
Joseph85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
argentina, rail, transport