daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote the best
Hongkong, China 69 20.41%
Chicago, USA 37 10.95%
New York, USA 63 18.64%
Shanghai, China 15 4.44%
Singapore, Singapore 14 4.14%
Tokyo, Japan 6 1.78%
Toronto, Canada 20 5.92%
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 13 3.85%
Shenzhen, China 1 0.30%
Seattle, USA 11 3.25%
Dubai, Emirates or Arab 18 5.33%
Seoul, South Korea 1 0.30%
Sydney, Australia 20 5.92%
San Francisco, USA 7 2.07%
Frankfurt, Germany 43 12.72%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #61
Kame
Very nice, how much?

Likes (Received): 2468

Just vote for Frankfurt and you're done.

Kiel - Some photos every few days ***** Germany - Some photos every few days ***** Hamburg - Some photos every few days
Kame no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #62
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kame View Post
Just vote for Frankfurt and you're done.
Just like most people who voted for Frankfurt, I too feel sympathy to the little guy. But I'm not gonna vote for it just for that reason alone.
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #63
quanghuynhchung
CENTRAL - Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 8

Hong Kong is my favorite
quanghuynhchung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #64
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

The thread title asks you to vote for the most beautiful skyline, while the poll asks for the best skyline. Which one is it?

Put it this way... Hong Kong, New York City, and Chicago have far and away the best skylines in the world. When it comes to skylines, they are part of an exclusive group colloquially known as the Big Three. All of them can claim the title of world's best for different reasons:

Hong Kong -- I have a soft spot for this city. I'm a Chinese-American and my family has Hong Kong roots. All personal biases aside, the skyline is IMO the grandest of them all and has that initial wow factor far more than any other skyline, including New York City and Chicago. Part of that has to do with its size, scale, and density (tops every other skyline in all three aspects) and the way it is lit up at night. Add to that the amazing mountain backdrop and I can certainly understand why so many people consider this to be the greatest skyline in the world. Despite all of that, much of the skyline consists of nondescript block-style buildings that take away from the beauty of the skyline. Architecturally speaking, Hong Kong is quite a ways from the top. Nonetheless, I love Hong Kong!

New York City -- When people think of skylines, this city is usually the first to come to mind. It is bar none the most famous skyline in the world, housing the world's two most famous (by far) skyscrapers -- the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings. In terms of height, it has lost a bit of ground to Hong Kong and Chicago, but not so much that it matters. Architecturally speaking, this city has the most varied collection of buildings (by far). It is famous for its collection of Art Deco and Beaux-Arts buildings, which are two of my favorite architectural styles. From looking at all the current proposals, it is pushing the boundaries more so than Hong Kong and Chicago. In terms of density, New York City is ideal. Hong Kong's density is too uniform and Chicago's skyline has too much disparity between its four signature buildings (Sears/Willis, John Hancock, Aon, and Trump) and the rest of the skyline. New York City epitomized the skyscraper and while Hong Kong is bigger and Chicago the inventor, New York City still manages to edge them out. For me, the best skyline in the world.

Chicago -- When talking of skylines, you can't exclude Chicago. This city is where it all began! I personally think this is the most beautiful skyline in the world (to answer the thread title). There aren't as many monstrosities in Chicago's skyline as there are in Hong Kong and New York City. On top of that, I've never seen a more organized skyline. Finally, the location right on the banks of Lake Michigan makes for quite a sight to behold. And while I spoke in disfavor of Chicago's height disparity, it can also be seen as a blessing in that it allows one to admire the architecture of each and every building. Chicago's skyline is, more than anything else, about architecture. I love Chicago's skyline.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #65
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Samuel89, where did you get that text from? The original source obviously rated them already based on the mentioned criteria.
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #66
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27234

once again. everything stolen from
http://www.diserio.com/hongkongskyline.html
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #67
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainttelling View Post
Just like most people who voted for Frankfurt, I too feel sympathy to the little guy. But I'm not gonna vote for it just for that reason alone.
common. do it and then we ll be friends. being my friend is a good reason... maybe the best
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #68
ainttelling
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
common. do it and then we ll be friends. being my friend is a good reason... maybe the best
Perhaps... But I have some valid reasons not to.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #69
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

sorry, i don't speak russian. Can you explain the content of your link?
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #70
Kame
Very nice, how much?

Likes (Received): 2468

WTF?! I googletranslated it and it's about Germans ******* children. Well, I guess that's some very good reason not to vote for Frankfurt as the world's most beautiful skyline. I've heard that Germans even started a world war some day.

Kiel - Some photos every few days ***** Germany - Some photos every few days ***** Hamburg - Some photos every few days
Kame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #71
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

it was a German who inventet the Atomic Bomb, so the Germans killed the people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They even kill their allies. **** all the Germans. I hope they will someday deselect Hitler. But that will never happen, so we should kill them all, before its too late and than we counquer Frankfurt and the worlds most beautifull skyline will be ours, so we can finally vote for it!

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; September 5th, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #72
ainttelling
BANNED

Quote:
it was a German who inventet the Atomic Bomb, so the Germans killed the people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They even kill their allies. **** all the Germans. I hope they will someday deselect Hitler. But that will never happen, so we should kill them all, before its too late and than we counquer Frankfurt and the worlds most beautifull skyline will be ours, so we can finally vote for it!
I do not think World War II is funny. Period. You brought it in this thread in an ironic light several times. Why?
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #73
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

take a wild guess.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #74
ainttelling
BANNED

Quote:
take a wild guess.
I have asked a serious question and I expect a straight answer.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #75
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

you did not asked a question. Perhaps you think you did - but you didn't, for sure.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #76
ainttelling
BANNED

Quote:
you did not asked a question. Perhaps you think you did - but you didn't, for sure.
Dearest Ja-Ja-Jot! Why do you think it is OK to play games when such matters are concerned? Please think about how strange that appears to a side observer. Take a break, and after you sorted your issues out, I think you owe us an explanation why do you think it is OK to ironize about WWII.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #77
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Oh dear. You started the game. Its always the same game, you can't tell me, you did not know that before. So you should have told it earlier that you don't want to play it, or better: play it this style.

What did you expected or wanted me to write, after you posted your link? Is it so disagreeable to you, that I wrtite what you want to express with your link, so you changed the railroad to excactly the other direction playing suddenly the policeman?

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; September 5th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #78
jayhawker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
The thread title asks you to vote for the most beautiful skyline, while the poll asks for the best skyline. Which one is it?

Put it this way... Hong Kong, New York City, and Chicago have far and away the best skylines in the world. When it comes to skylines, they are part of an exclusive group colloquially known as the Big Three. All of them can claim the title of world's best for different reasons:

Hong Kong -- I have a soft spot for this city. I'm a Chinese-American and my family has Hong Kong roots. All personal biases aside, the skyline is IMO the grandest of them all and has that initial wow factor far more than any other skyline, including New York City and Chicago. Part of that has to do with its size, scale, and density (tops every other skyline in all three aspects) and the way it is lit up at night. Add to that the amazing mountain backdrop and I can certainly understand why so many people consider this to be the greatest skyline in the world. Despite all of that, much of the skyline consists of nondescript block-style buildings that take away from the beauty of the skyline. Architecturally speaking, Hong Kong is quite a ways from the top. Nonetheless, I love Hong Kong!

New York City -- When people think of skylines, this city is usually the first to come to mind. It is bar none the most famous skyline in the world, housing the world's two most famous (by far) skyscrapers -- the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings. In terms of height, it has lost a bit of ground to Hong Kong and Chicago, but not so much that it matters. Architecturally speaking, this city has the most varied collection of buildings (by far). It is famous for its collection of Art Deco and Beaux-Arts buildings, which are two of my favorite architectural styles. From looking at all the current proposals, it is pushing the boundaries more so than Hong Kong and Chicago. In terms of density, New York City is ideal. Hong Kong's density is too uniform and Chicago's skyline has too much disparity between its four signature buildings (Sears/Willis, John Hancock, Aon, and Trump) and the rest of the skyline. New York City epitomized the skyscraper and while Hong Kong is bigger and Chicago the inventor, New York City still manages to edge them out. For me, the best skyline in the world.

Chicago -- When talking of skylines, you can't exclude Chicago. This city is where it all began! I personally think this is the most beautiful skyline in the world (to answer the thread title). There aren't as many monstrosities in Chicago's skyline as there are in Hong Kong and New York City. On top of that, I've never seen a more organized skyline. Finally, the location right on the banks of Lake Michigan makes for quite a sight to behold. And while I spoke in disfavor of Chicago's height disparity, it can also be seen as a blessing in that it allows one to admire the architecture of each and every building. Chicago's skyline is, more than anything else, about architecture. I love Chicago's skyline.

This is very well stated.

I think New York has by far the best architecture of the world's great skylines, and it is therefore my favorite. But Hong Kong is probably the most spectacular when viewed as a whole.
jayhawker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #79
ainttelling
BANNED

Quote:
Oh dear. You started the game.
Did I really?

Message #9,
Quote:
The damned Nazi-Germans all voting for their own city. They are destroying this wonderfull poll. Hitler failed to conquer the world, so the nazis are trying to conquer this poll! Someone has to ban all those Nazi-Germans from the SCC and close thier sub-forum, too!
Well?

PS: Before I posted this reply, you were still busy editing the second half of your message. I hope that's OK I only replied to first?
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #80
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

last edit 9:35
your comment 9:38

so everything is fine.

And now make the game complete by answering the first and only serious question in this conversation if you don't want to answer to the second half of my last post, although you read it:
Quote:
sorry, i don't speak russian. Can you explain the content of your link?