search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2253

FJORDCITY | Operaens Omgivelser (Munch Museum and Deichman Library)

Operaens Omgivelser

Operaens Omgivelser is the development of the sites surrounding the Operahouse, the sites from Opera-allmenningen (A8, A9) to around Akerselv-
allmenningen and Paulsenkaia to Bjĝrvika-utstikkeren.

First there was a competition for this entire area which later led to competitions of the main sites. In 2008 to 2009 two major competitions were
held, the Munch/Steinersen-museum competition and the Deichman Library competition. This made it clear that some of Norway's finest museums
and libraries will be moved and located directly beside the Opera, Oslo's and one of Norway's most popular attractions at the time. Between the
Munch/Steinersen-museum and Deichman Library there will be mixed-used buildings with shops, restaurants and boutiques, residentials, offices and
cultural usages.

The map above show Operaens Omgivelser, and its sites. Scroll further down to see the details of each site, or use this quicklink.

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; November 23rd, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

A9 (Student housing, offices, shops and boutiques)

In the winning project of the new Deichman library, the site was divided into two parts, A8 (Deichman library) and A9 (commercial areas). A9 was
reserved for commercial utilization such as housing, offices and shopping.

A pedestrian street cuts diagonally through the site A9 and creates two smaller sites that measure 2500m2 and 1800 m2. The diagonal street
establishes a physical spatial sequence, as well as a visual connection, between the front of the opera and the sea from the north- east. The two
sites are proposed developed with student housing (eastern building) and offices (western building). Restaurant, offices and shops will occupy both
sites at street level.

Location as well as excellent light and view conditions make the site suitable and attractive for housing development. Student housing is seen as a
positive contribution specifically to counteract the commercial dominance of the area, and help make it a vibrant active part of town day and night.

Lund Hagem Arkitekter and Atelier Oslo is collaborating on this project.

High resolution rendering

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; February 26th, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

B1 and B4 (Apartments, offices, shops and boutiques)

The original winning plan for site B1 and B4 proposes a line of towers, 7 floors tall closest to site B5 (Munch Museum) rising taller to reach 14 floors
in the north to Dronning Eufemias Street and OperaKvarteret. This plan has been criticized and they've worked out a new plan with three different
proposals for these sites, you can view the three proposals here.

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; February 26th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Munch Museum

This is the winning proposal of the new Munch Museum in Oslo. Architect Juan Herreros (Herreros Arquitectos) in cooperation with Norwegian LPO
Arkitekter
designed this 56m, 14 floor tall museum which will be located at the harbor front, next to Oslo Opera House.

The proposal, named Lambda was announced as winner of the competition on March 27th 2009, and was finally approved by Oslo City Council
on August 26th. However, the project has received lot of criticism and the final design might look quite different than the current architectural
renderings. You can read a much more detailed description of is architecture and design here.

This project was cancelled on December 14th, 2011 following a major political debate lasting for half a year. 200 Million NOK was spent on the
arrangement of competitions and agreements before NIMBYism and last minute mind-changing politicians buried the project for good. What will
become of the site is yet unknown.

High resolution renderings

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Dequal liked this post

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; December 14th, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

A11 Sukkerbiten

info coming

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; February 26th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

A8 (Deichman Library)

Lund Hagem Arkitekter and Atelier Oslo won the architectural competition for the new Deichman Library with their proposal, "Diagonale".

The Diagonale solution proposes: To divide the site into three buildings. By doing this, we give each building a human scale and integrate the
project into the city.

To place the Library on the site towards Operaallmenningen. Library visitors are offered the best views towards the city, the fjord and the
surrounding green hills of Oslo; and the shortest connection to public transport.

To make the Library visible to the public. The top of the library cantilevers out to announce its presence to the visitors arriving from down town
Oslo and the Central Station. At the same time the view to the opera is secured by a large cut in the volume.

To create entrances to the east, west, and south. Big cuts in the facade mark the entrances on three sides of the building, inviting the public
coming from all parts of the city. The same cuts give views into the different environments of the library.

To create a spectacular interior. The core of the new Deichman library is based on light and space and continuous diagonal views established
between the library interior and the surrounding streets/square. Through atriums and openings in the different floors the library is united with the
city outside.

To communicate with the city. The façade diffuses the sunlight, giving a calm feeling to the interior. At night, the building will glow and change
appearance as a reflection of all the different activities and events inside the library.

High resolution renderings

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; February 26th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
City of Rain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

i really like this building

id love to see what impact itd have on the oslo skyline, though (with the opera house and everything!!)

in the 1st pic... will all those buildings behind the museum also be built? ive never heard anything about them!
City of Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #8
moveteam

Likes (Received): 1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
i really like this building

id love to see what impact itd have on the oslo skyline, though (with the opera house and everything!!)

in the 1st pic... will all those buildings behind the museum also be built? ive never heard anything about them!
It's Operakvarteret (Barcode), right?

Personally I think there was more exciting proposals. But still pretty beautiful!
moveteam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Northon

Likes (Received): 15587

From ABCNYHETER today: "The Worlds eyes are pointet toward's Oslo" says arcitekt Juan Herreros, who are in town at present time.

Article is in norwegian.

http://www.abcnyheter.no/node/94558

I really hope that the Munch Museum will be built as it is in the renders.

djole13 liked this post
Northon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #10
mjoks007

Likes (Received): 227

The building itselfs doesn't bother me, but the lamelle buildings behind doenst look good imo.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveteam View Post
It's Operakvarteret (Barcode), right?
Nono, they are apart in the Munch Museum actually. You can see KLP's building in Barcode starting on the rightmost side. Will be interesting to see how those buildings between the Munch main building and Barcode will look like at last, since they are right behind the Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoks007 View Post
The building itselfs doesn't bother me, but the lamelle buildings behind doenst look good imo.
I think they are comparable with Barcode on its early stage. There is loads of architects working on this project now, so wait and see and hope they get the best out of it!

Note, i was not too pleased about this winner, hoping it will grow on me, but yet i am very skeptical to the chosen architecture of Lambda.

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; August 27th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
id love to see what impact itd have on the oslo skyline, though
You know, it will be hidden "behind" Barcode from any angle that matters, that's why i think it should be taller....

Unless you are at Ekeberg, then it will look like this:

Tiny one behind the opera:

Last edited by Ingenioren; August 27th, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
Northon

It would just be great i think, if they built Lambada a bit higher, but i just hope that it wont be cut off a bit, because of byantikvaren and other nimby's.

djole13 liked this post

Last edited by Northon; August 27th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Northon

Speaks out about the "quarrelcity" (Oslo ofcourse)

But in any case, Juan Herreros are convinced that the Munch Museum will be completed in 2013.

Article is in norwegian: http://www.dagsavisen.no/kultur/article434970.ece

djole13 liked this post
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

I'm one of the nimbys on this one, but only because there were so many (all?) other more interesting proposals.

Oh well. He won. Grats. Build it already. Oh, and of course, make it higher. A lot higher!

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
SMCD

Likes (Received): 12

The project is now on hold, after New York based architects REX have filed a formal complaint – claiming they should have won with their project; “Yian-Yang”.

http://www.aftenposten.no/kul_und/article3280909.ece

I hope this doesn’t postpone the project too long. I have warmed up to “Lambda”, and this “Yian-Yang”-building looks boring from the render in Aftenposten. Anyway, Oslo doesn’t need more bad publicity in relation to architecture competitions.
SMCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #17
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

omg...

well, “Yian-Yang” is worse than Lambda, so i surely hope the complaint fail.
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM   #18
mjoks007

Likes (Received): 227

To be honnest, I wouldn't mind.
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM   #19
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 848

Material from the Fjordcity-thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
Yin & Yang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Munch:

Someone will make a debate out of everything. Actually I like the commercial areas better in this project, though

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM   #20
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 574

Pretty foolish grounds for complaint - waste of time and money for anyone involved... I can't stand that flat ikea box in the middle of the water like that, if the building was to be located in such a good location as here, it had to be a really radical design, not like that proposal at all...