daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

BATH, England

BATH, England

Founded: AD 43
Elevation: 17mASL (surrounded by Mendip and Cotswold Hills)
Population: 93,992

Last Saturday I went to Bath for the day on a train from Temple Meads. Bath is a city in the ceremonial county of Somerset in the south west of England. It is situated 97 miles (156 km) west of London and 13 miles (21 km) south-east of Bristol. The population of the city is 93,992. It was granted city status by Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I in 1590, and was made a county borough in 1889 which gave it administrative independence from its county, Somerset. The city became part of Avon when that county was created in 1974. Since 1996, when Avon was abolished, Bath has been the principal centre of the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset.

The city was first established as a spa resort with the Latin name, Aquae Sulis ("the waters of Sulis") by the Romans in AD 43 although verbal tradition suggests that Bath was known before then. They built baths and a temple on the surrounding hills of Bath in the valley of the River Avon around hot springs, which are the only ones naturally occurring in the United Kingdom. Edgar was crowned king of England at Bath Abbey in 973. Much later, it became popular as a spa resort during the Georgian era, which led to a major expansion that left a heritage of exemplary Georgian architecture crafted from Bath Stone.

As City of Bath, the city became a World Heritage Site in 1987. The city has a variety of theatres, museums, and other cultural and sporting venues, which have helped to make it a major centre for tourism, with over one million staying visitors and 3.8 million day visitors to the city each year. The city has two universities and several schools and colleges. There is a large service sector, and growing information and communication technologies and creative industries, providing employment for the population of Bath and the surrounding area.

Last edited by Bristol Mike; August 31st, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

The pics aren't showing up
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
The pics aren't showing up
Hi. Ye, apologies for this but I am trying to find out why my photos are not showing. It's a problem with photobucket that has appeared before so hopefully if and when it resumes itself, the first batch will be up!
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #4
dmarney

Likes (Received): 9

have you sorted it out yet????
dmarney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20309

Can't see the photos but great thread anyway, you can't go wrong with Bath, gorgeous city!!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244655

I have heard really nice words from a friend of mine, who was in Bath few years ago; i waiting for those photos

Bandwidth Exceeded its temporary; dont worry... your photos will be visible soon
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
tonyssa

tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarney View Post
have you sorted it out yet????
Workin on it. Photobucket is really being a pain now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Can't see the photos but great thread anyway, you can't go wrong with Bath, gorgeous city!!
Thanks very much mate, I really do hope the pictures will show some time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
I have heard really nice words from a friend of mine, who was in Bath few years ago; i waiting for those photos

Bandwidth Exceeded its temporary; dont worry... your photos will be visible soon
I really do hope so mate because it's been like that since I started the thread now and I'm not sure whether the problem is with SSC or photobucket as I can display pictures from photobucket on other sites fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyssa View Post
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM   #9
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Oh Mike back to the street corner mate for a few extra penny's
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART I
Bath Spa to Abbey Courtyard

The most common entry to the city centre to visitors is by train and bus and as the two stations are adjacent (much more sensible than the 4 mile gap between Bristol's two), one will almost always walk up Pierrepont Street first. It links the stations with the Palace Gardens. You have to pay to get in now but Riverside Walk proves popular for views back across to Bath Abbey and the Pulteney Bridge.

Opposite the main road from Palace Gardens, you are faced with a choice of narrow streets to wander down in order to get to Abbey Cuortyard where when I was there, had various musicians playing live music and interesting exhibition artefacts on show. Enjoy.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

ah how beautiful, quintesentially English, although there are similarities with Edinburgh in Scotland (ie that hotel).

I forgot to mention that I have been to Bristol, however I was simply passing through on a train towards Penzance In Cornwall. I do remember a station called Temple Meads. Been to Bath twice, and I love that street that has a huge curve of old town houses. Do you have any pics of that street?
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Embrace57
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Absolutely wonderful!
As well as all of Cornwall, Devon and England for that matter.
Embrace57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 912

Wonderful pics! One of the most beautiful cities in Europe no doubt. Does the city feel nice as well, or did you get the feeling you were wandering around in a large museum?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM   #14
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8251

^ Yeah if you ignore the poor public realm, clutter, satellite dishes and ugly plastic shopfronts then it indeed looks beautiful.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM   #15
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 912

I was waiting for you to comment on the clutter Greco

Canīt say itīs that bad in Bath, but itīs definitely there.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastadl View Post
ah how beautiful, quintesentially English, although there are similarities with Edinburgh in Scotland (ie that hotel).

I forgot to mention that I have been to Bristol, however I was simply passing through on a train towards Penzance In Cornwall. I do remember a station called Temple Meads. Been to Bath twice, and I love that street that has a huge curve of old town houses. Do you have any pics of that street?
Thanks mate, indeed it is, with a kick of Romanism (if that's a word) in places. Yes I was thinking that with the hotel, it is the only building of that kind in the city but probably the biggest in the centre. The street you are thinking of is probably either the Circus or Royal Crescent but do not fear - those piccies will be here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrace57 View Post
Absolutely wonderful!
As well as all of Cornwall, Devon and England for that matter.
Hehe, thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Wonderful pics! One of the most beautiful cities in Europe no doubt. Does the city feel nice as well, or did you get the feeling you were wandering around in a large museum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
^ Yeah if you ignore the poor public realm, clutter, satellite dishes and ugly plastic shopfronts then it indeed looks beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
I was waiting for you to comment on the clutter Greco

Canīt say itīs that bad in Bath, but itīs definitely there.
Well unfortunately what El Greco mentions is to be found in every British city. I try to look over that and concentrate on the architecture and appearance at ground level. Bath is one of the most well-maintained and clean cities in the UK. Thanks for your comments guys .
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #17
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

This is probably my favorite small city that I have ever visited. Not only is it oozing with history, but also had a great street scene and a multitude of beautiful women as well! Nice photos, I am definitely a fan
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #18
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20309

Bath rocks!

I didn't know that there were Garfunkels restaurants outside London though, I thought they were only in the West End to prey on 50-something year old North American tourists who don't know better places to go.

Actually that's probably the reason they have one in Bath!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #19
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
This is probably my favorite small city that I have ever visited. Not only is it oozing with history, but also had a great street scene and a multitude of beautiful women as well! Nice photos, I am definitely a fan
I couldn't agree with you more hehe. Especially about the women . It's atmosphere really is very nice and mixed - it has a historic, touristy yet youngish feel to it all at once. Glad you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Bath rocks!

I didn't know that there were Garfunkels restaurants outside London though, I thought they were only in the West End to prey on 50-something year old North American tourists who don't know better places to go.

Actually that's probably the reason they have one in Bath!
I looked up Garfunkels myself and noticed that as well but they also have a Browns which I though was a one off business in Bristol. Then again, Bath is close to Bristol so it might be there for the sake of having one there lol.
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #20
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

PART II
Main Street to George Street