daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #41
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18143

Here is a January 2006 report on the Strategic Development of Calgary CTrain System :

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/L...ENT_update.pdf
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #42
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Calgary's surface LRT has proven very successful. This, coupled with the city's rapid growth, provides ample justification for considering a downtown subway. That is one advantage that Edmonton's smaller LRT system has.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #43
Boris550
Technocrat

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Good news. I guess when the extra lines are built, they'll need to relieve the pressure off 7th. Why not just have the 8th Ave. trains go above ground to save money though?
Because those would eventually get congested as well. Plus Stephen Ave is one of the most vibrant streets in the city (it's a pedestrian mall) and we wouldn't want to screw it up by running a C-train through the middle of it (not bashing the LRT here, I ride it everyday and love it). And then consider that there are already subway stations built under the Municipal building and Banker's Hall, and one planned for Penny Lane if it get's redeveloped.

EDIT: Now, if the province would just fork over a few billion dollars in surplus cash to expand Calgary's and Edmonton's systems, and then find some source of skilled labour...

Last edited by Boris550; March 13th, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
Boris550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #44
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Good news
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #45
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

there is a bollywood movie - that was set and filmed in calgary - they shot a few scenes on the Calgary LRT - inside not too much from the outsdie though
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #46
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Interestingly, the city planned for a subway years ago when it included a tunnel beneath the municipal building, built in the mid-1980s.

However, transit officials stressed Friday nothing is set in stone.
Well, perhaps that tunnel isn't that sturdy, then. But it should make digging easier if it's just dirt down there.
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #47
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

i love calgarys system and i used it many times. it is fast, quiet and goes all the right places.
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #48
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Well, perhaps that tunnel isn't that sturdy, then. But it should make digging easier if it's just dirt down there.
I recall someone telling me that Calgary is located over some seriously hard bedrock...which is one reason why they didnt have a tunnel...while edmonton has the opposite problem...very absorbent soft bedrock.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #49
tapris

Likes (Received): 0

Calgary LRT

Calgary has an LRT system - I am not sure that it has been mentioned on these pages. It's success is partly due to linking key trip destinations (downtown, education facilities, malls). It can get quite crowded durng the rush hours and consequently, ongoing discussions about increasing train frequencies, lengthening trains, and adding more lines (currently 3).

Unfortunately Calgary has a relatively low density and this has been considered as impacting feasability for lines. Unike Toronto where there is high density development at subway stations, Calgary is only now seeing more high density residential/office development at LRT stations.

I think that we all appreciate the LRT if it goes where we want to go but the lack of park/ride spots or inadequate bus feeder systems affects decisions to use it. Our road system hasn't kept up with population growth so transit is always a more relaxing alternative.

I am including a web address on a report of the LRT here in Calgary. It provides a historical perspective and some interesting statistical comparisons with other cities with LRT.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/Calgar...tilization.pdf
tapris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #50
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The following link is great reference for information on the Calgary light rail system:

http://members.shaw.ca/LRTinCalgary/Index.html

It appears to be a great system with many features that would be expected on a heavy rail system. With the exception of a downtown transit mall, the lines have dedicated right-of-ways with a limited number of grade crossings and the stations have high-level platforms that provide level-floor loading of the trains. The following are a couple of images from the front page of the above website:

The following are a couple of additional webpages about the Calgary light rail system:

http://www.lightrail.com/photos/calgary/calgary.htm

http://www.subways.net/canada/calgary.htm

The following link describes a visit to a tunnel through the downtown area that was to be used by the light rail system but was never completed:

http://www.geocities.com/corrosionia/passages.html

Last edited by greg_christine; September 9th, 2006 at 08:35 PM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #51
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

I love Calgary's LRT system!

Apparently there is one downtown avenue that may have a subway put under it. (The LRT would go underground under this downtown street.)

I haven't heard much about that since I saw an article though.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #52
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Calgary's LRT is the most succesful Light Rail system in North America, no?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #53
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten777
Calgary's LRT is the most succesful Light Rail system in North America, no?
Among the North American LR built new since the late 1970s, yes, Calgary would be considered among the most successful, certainly in terms of ridership. San Diego & Portland would rank very high also. Building a downtown subway, something the smaller LR in Edmonton has, would further improve it. With all the energy revenues flowing in to Alberta & virtually zero unemployment, Calgary should have plenty of funding to do whatever it wants!
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #54
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Calgary's LRT is truly incredible.
To use as a comparison Vancouver's SkyTrain which in todays dollars has cost triple the dollars serves a metro area twice as large but gets lower ridership.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #55
degnaw

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve
I love Calgary's LRT system!

Apparently there is one downtown avenue that may have a subway put under it. (The LRT would go underground under this downtown street.)

I haven't heard much about that since I saw an article though.
I believe there is some tunnel built, but they decided it was pointless and had the lrt run on 7th avenue (which became a transit mall). In some report (im not sure which) they said they wont use the tunnels in the forseeable future
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #56
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Nice
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #57
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
Calgary's LRT is truly incredible.
To use as a comparison Vancouver's SkyTrain which in todays dollars has cost triple the dollars serves a metro area twice as large but gets lower ridership.
Skytrain and LRT are very different systems. The following are some comparison numbers that appeared in a planning report for the Coquitlam/Evergreen Line < http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/boa...4.1attachc.pdf >:

Travel Times, Coquitlam City Center to Millennium Line
Skytrain: 13 minutes
LRT: 21 minutes (23 minutes if walk and wait time for Skytrain transfer is included.)

New Transit Riders
Skytrain: 2600
LRT: 2100

Maximum Transit Riders per Hour - Peak Direction
Skytrain: 5900
LRT: 2600

Capital Costs
Skytrain: $840 million
LRT: $670 million

Annualized Capital and O&M Cost per Passenger Boarding
Skytrain: $4.30
LRT: $6.95

Benefit/Cost Ratio (Average)
Skytrain: 0.8
LRT: 0.7

Skytrain offers significant performance advantages. According to the report, one of the supposed disadvantages of Skytrain is that it is so attractive that it would divert passengers off of the West Coast Express trains at Coquitlam! The advantages of grade separation and automated operation were sufficient to convince planners to go with a similar technology for the RAV/Canada Line that is presently under construction. For the Coquitlam/Evergreen Line, light rail was chosen; however, Skytrain was a serious contender and might have been chosen but for 1) opposition to an elevated viaduct in one community along the route and 2) a construction cost cap that excluded Skytrain.

I expect that as ridership increases on the Calgary LRT system, they will pursue building a tunnel for the downtown segment and making other grade separation improvements. They will be paying later rather than earlier. It is still a nice system!
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #58
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I've heard lots of great things about LRT in Calgary; it seems it's doing a great job. I'd love to see it myself.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #59
ssiguy2

Comparing the CTrain to the Evergreen is not a proper analogy.
The Evergreen will be using ussual roads thus slowing it's speed. The CTrain on the other hand is COMPLETLY grade separated. Until you get to the downtown transit mall the system is completly independent from system. Much lkike at grade subway lines. In other words there is nothing to slow it down from regular traffic.
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #60
ssiguy2

While on the CTrain topic are there any FIRM dates as to when construction will start on either the West or SouthEast lines?

Tags
calgary