daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #101
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

i see very good things of this system and i hear its legendary exactly a very car dependent city can also become a very transit orinted city.

Dallas Texas is an example i can say that is very car depended but brought Light Rail and communter rail and then it became more of a transit city now.

also i think a communter rail network would benefit calgary more Light rail is great and awesome but it can be complmented with a communter rail network to reach areas further out to serve the other communties.

but Calgary great job on your system and that its expanding even more its starting to remind me of not just Dallas but of also Los Angeles another car depended city becoming a transit city, Denver, Salt Lake city, Charolette, houston, portland oregon, Seattle washington, etc.
goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #102
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by goten2255 View Post

also i think a communter rail network would benefit calgary more Light rail is great and awesome but it can be complmented with a communter rail network to reach areas further out to serve the other communties.
I'm not sure where commuter rail would actually go. In Calgary the LRT fulfills the role of both a commuter rail and a metro. The whole metro area is only about 1.2 million population and the light rail reaches almost to the edge of the built up area. From the end of each line it's only a few km to the open wilderness.

I can't think of anywhere else nearby with a big enough population. Okotoks and Cochrane are close enough but only 25,000 and 18,000 respectively.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #103
goten2255

ohh but thats an odd system then because here in the united states most light rail and metro systems are complmented with a communter rail system along with intercity Rail.

like Dallas Texas has the DART light rail and its complmented by two Communter Rail systems, San Jose california has a light rail system and its complmented by several communter rail systems.

i always thought a communter rail system was needed???? its odd???
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #104
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
ohh but thats an odd system then because here in the united states most light rail and metro systems are complmented with a communter rail system along with intercity Rail.

like Dallas Texas has the DART light rail and its complmented by two Communter Rail systems, San Jose california has a light rail system and its complmented by several communter rail systems.

A lot of it has to do with the scale of the metropolitan area. Dallas, San Francisco/San Jose, etc. are huge immense areas. And the scales of their rapid transit systems do not match the scales of the metropolitan areas, hence the need for commuter rail systems to deliver service areas from the core to the periphery and peripheral cores across long distances.

Within San Francisco Bay Area, aside from the West peninsula, one can argue that the BART serves dual purpose as a rapid transit system and a commuter rail system because the scale of the BART system (in this case, by scale, I'm referring to system capacity and design, distance between stops, etc.) seems more like a hybrid between traditional rapid transit and commuter rail.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #105
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Dallas and Calgary have lots in common. I live in Dallas and have been to Calgary several times, and am always fascinated by the similarities.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #106
goten2255

so Calgary is not as massive as those other cities i listed?

but still this is a great light rail system will there be a streetcar system for the inner city transit while the light rail for outer city transit as well.

and i think Calgary light rail should connect to the airport so people can have a downtown to airport ride.
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #107
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:

what's a communter rail?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #108
goten2255

its regional rail its just here in the states we call regional rail "communter rail" like such examples is Long Island Railroad, Metro North, Nj Transit rail services, Septa regional rail, Metra (chicago), etc.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #109
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
"communter rail"
BTW, this LRT is named C Train
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #110
trainrover

I myself was just about to post this well-filmed, good compilation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #111
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
i see very good things of this system and i hear its legendary exactly a very car dependent city can also become a very transit orinted city.

Dallas Texas is an example i can say that is very car depended but brought Light Rail and communter rail and then it became more of a transit city now.

but Calgary great job on your system and that its expanding even more its starting to remind me of not just Dallas but of also Los Angeles another car depended city becoming a transit city, Denver, Salt Lake city, Charolette, houston, portland oregon, Seattle washington, etc.
It is good news that these cities are starting to incorporate more transit into their infrastructure. I would NOT call them transit cities by a long shot though as transit ridership is negligible in comparison to a true transit city (NYC: 338 km of subway with express and local service for 24 hrs, 3 commuter rail lines, PATH train, and Jersey light rail systems)
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #112
trainrover

You must be wishing the following: incorporating more infrastructure into their public transport
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:14 AM   #113
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
A lot of it has to do with the scale of the metropolitan area. Dallas, San Francisco/San Jose, etc. are huge immense areas. And the scales of their rapid transit systems do not match the scales of the metropolitan areas, hence the need for commuter rail systems to deliver service areas from the core to the periphery and peripheral cores across long distances.

Within San Francisco Bay Area, aside from the West peninsula, one can argue that the BART serves dual purpose as a rapid transit system and a commuter rail system because the scale of the BART system (in this case, by scale, I'm referring to system capacity and design, distance between stops, etc.) seems more like a hybrid between traditional rapid transit and commuter rail.
Yep. Calgary doesnt have much of what we can consider suburbs.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #114
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Here are photos dated April 2012 from the WestLRT website showing construction on this new light rail line through the west side of Calgary
source: http://www.westlrt.ca/contentdesign/...ndashboard.cfm

45 St station

45 St station

69 St station

69 St station entrance to underground track from 17 Ave

69 St station looking east to west

69 St platform level looking east

69 St tunnel under 69 St SW

Shaganappi Point station aerial view with golf course

Shaganappi Point station

Sirocco station facing northeast

Sirocco station tracks heading towards 69 St station

Sunalta station

Sunalta station

Sunalta station

Sunalta station

Sunalta station

Westbrook station

Westbrook station looking south

Westbrook station

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/west_lrt.html

Last edited by Woonsocket54; April 28th, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #115
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Wheres the underground section?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #116
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

The underground parts are at Westbrook and 69 St stations

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #117
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

This is a much belated update on Calgary's northeast LRT extension. Since no one posted the update, I think I am going to do it.

After three years of construction, Calgary LRT Line 202 (Line II) is extended for two more stops from McKnight-Westwind to Saddletowne on Saturday August 25. The mayor of Calgary Naheed Nenshi drives the first train to the new terminal station at Saddletowne. The extension is 2.9 km in total length with two new stations, and this extension brings the total kilometreage of Calgary's LRT system to 51.7km. Average daily ridership on Calgary's LRT system is more than 270,000.

This 1983 Siemens-Duwag U2 train (3-car consists) is leaving the old terminal station at McKnight-Westwind, heading for Saddletowne.

The train is going into a cross road tunnel below 64th Avenue NE.

This is the new Saddletowne Station.

Second generation LRT train in Calgary, Siemens SD160.

Since this is the beginning of new school year, after a long summer holiday, these old buses are coming out again.

The tracks are laid all the way to the back of Saddletowne Station.

Outbound train arriving at Saddletowne.

The bus terminal next to the Saddletowne Station.

Pedestrian gate.

Ticket vending machine.

Concrete track bed.

Section insulator.

Residential neighborhoods immediately next to the track.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #118
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Those photos are too small; can't see anything
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #119
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

CTrain is a great system and considering the relatively small size of the city and it's VERY high income levels, the ridership is fantastic.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #120
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

The 8.2 km Calgary West LRT has opened for revenue service this morning, Monday, December 10, 2012.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary