daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #141
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #142
Falubaz

The C-Train bridge - would be nice shot with a train, but i waited and waited and finally i wasnt so patient and just took that one with no train on it.

Just few seconds later - as i got down fromthe bridge - the train came.
It's always like that

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #143
Falubaz

Old September 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #144
Falubaz

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #145
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Are there places to keep warm at these stations? I'm surprised a prairie city didn't opt for an underground system. This isn't Italy.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #146
Thyago_RC

Likes (Received): 8

don't like it sorry
Thyago_RC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #147
Falubaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Are there places to keep warm at these stations? I'm surprised a prairie city didn't opt for an underground system. This isn't Italy.
Yeah, that's surprising.
At least the central part could be underground. But still it's a nice system.
The only 'almost' underground station, i saw, was the '69th Street'.

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #148
Falubaz

The last set of my pics from Calgary's C-train metro.

The downtown zone which is a free-ride-zone

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #149
Falubaz

In car map of the C-Train

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #150
Falubaz

And one picture of a bus:

I hope some calgarians will put from time to time news or pics here too.

Old September 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #151
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Calgary choose not to underground for 2 reasons:

First, Calgary's downtown is on a very high water table so a tunnel would cost a lot of money and when the system began30 years ago Calgary only had 600,000 and so that would have been a very large expense. Now that the city is 1.2 million and there are several lines with very high ridership a downtown tunnel is on the priority list.

Second, the city wanted to spend the huge amounts on tunnel to be spent on making a larger system to serve more areas. Edmonton which opened it's system roughly the same time with roughly the same population choose the other route.......they built a downtown tunnel. By doing this, however, the system was quite small and it's ridership levels were a fraction of Calgary's. Although with the new extensions in Edmonton ridership has now hit 100,000 a day both cities have spent roughly the same amount on their LRT but Calgary's ridership is 310,000 daily.

Calgary made the right choice and due it's larger size serves far more people and far more employment destinations than does Edmonton's LRT which is reflected in the ridership levels.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #152
Falubaz

Are there any rumors about when the north line would be constructed?

Old September 20th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #153
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
For it's size, Calgary has Canada's best transit system.

It's CTrain is now nearly as large as Vancouver's with double the population, Montreal with triple the population, and Toronto with 5 times the population. For a city of just 1.2 million and to get ridership of 310,000/day on it's LRT along is fantastic. It is, by far, the most successful LRT system in NA.

The thing that makes it even more of a success is that Calgary is a VERY wealthy city with the highest average income of any metropolitan city in the country. Calgarians more so than probably anyone else can afford private transportation but instead to take transit. This in Canada's Oil Capitol and Calgary Transit has higher per-capita ridership than so-called "green" Vancouver. The CTrain is also the ONLY rapid transit system in NA that runs 100% on renewable energy.....wind from nearby wind farms.

By ANY metric, the CTrain and Calgary Transit is a stellar success and proves that even in once car dominated cities with very high disposable incomes, people will take transit if the service is good.

It's amazing what a little planning can accomplish.
I am not sure how accurate this is but I have heard that Calgary's downtown has one of the highest parking prices in Canada (I think it was second highest after Toronto) so I think that has also caused ridership to spike on the C-Train.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #154
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Regarding the issue of placing the downtown section of the LRT in a tunnel ...

http://www.barp.ca/bus/lrt/calgary/anderson.html

Originally, Calgary Transit had planned on building the C-Train system in a subway format where the trains would run underground underneath 8th Avenue SW/SE instead of above ground on 7th Avenue. In 1980, the new City Hall municipal building was voted by Calgarians to be built on already existing government owned land instead of leasing office space from private businesses. Design of the new 14-storey municipal building included a parkade to be built underground, including at the time, a subway for the LRT system to be constructed. Unfortunately because the LRT system was already $23.3-million over budget, underground LRT in Calgary was put to a halt and all that was ever built was the shell of the tunnel. The view in the third photo on the second row above shows the split in the tunnels at the east end of the tunnel. Beyond the ends of the splits in the tunnel is the tunnel that leads north and south along the Anderson LRT line. The tunnel on the left of that photo would lead to the future Whitehorn line and the tunnel on the right would lead to the existing Anderson line. From the tunnel that connects downtown to the Stampede station, you can see the one side of the tunnel curve to meet this tunnel that was suppose to be built. Not many people knew about this tunnel even existing until it aired on CFCN News/CTV Calgary back in 1998 with John Jensen of Calgary Transit that answered questions during the interview. The only way to access this tunnel is through an access door inside of the Municipal parkade and down a ladder. Special thanks goes to CFCN News/CTV for allowing us to use these images.

After speaking with someone at City Hall back in 2003, I was told that this tunnel may be finally used with the future LRT line that is being researched to bring a leg of the LRT from downtown to MacKenzie Towne in the far SE of Calgary. However, if it is still not used at that point, at least it is still there for future consideration if the city ever does decide to revisit the idea of underground LRT in Calgary. It was rumored that in the basement of the Banker's Hall building, there was also the shell of a possible LRT Station, although it turns out that there never was as there is already an auditorium built down there. If Calgary Transit really did build LRT underground in Calgary, than there would be less accidents along the C-Train line as most of the accidents that you hear about on the news these days happen on 7th Avenue, including at least 3 or 4 derailments and several vehicle and pedestrian accidents. Having the LRT underground also reduces the amount of stations required for loading and unloading as well.

More photos can be viewed at the above link.

tunnel owl liked this post

Last edited by greg_christine; September 20th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #155
ssiguy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I think it's just on the "things to do" list. Calgary has a reputation of actually building what it says it will so I could see construction beginning in a decade but I believe the first 2 priorities for the City are the downtown tunnel and the South East Line.
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #156
Falubaz

So you say, the southeast one will be the first to be built.
How about conection to the airport? Maybe the north branch of the blue line will get there eventually?

Old September 21st, 2013, 02:24 AM   #157
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I attended a north central LRT seminar back in July, it is slated for construction in 2030
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:54 AM   #158
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Here is another Calgary thread, should be combined.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #159
ssiguy2

Ya, I think the SE and Downtown Tunnel are first on the hit parade but I'm not sure which one first.

As for the question earlier about Calgary's downtown parking rates, yes Calgary has VERY high parking rates and I believe they are actually the second highest on the continent next to NYC. They brought this in in the late 60s and only authorized tall office building for the downtown to encourage people to take transit. A VERY gutsy move for a city of only 400,000 at the time but needless to say it's been a stellar success.

Falubaz liked this post
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #160
ssiguy2

I agree, combine them.

Tags
calgary