daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #21
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
It's so good to see Downtown getting rebuilt. When will work start on the Freedom Tower??
As of now it's scheduled to break ground in the summer and the first cornerstone is supposed to be layed down just in time for the Republican National Convention, coincidentally.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #22
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDiveJunkee
I just noticed this by looking at the pic of the Freedom tower with the Statue of Liberty, but is the Freedom tower suppose to resemble the Statue of Liberty in skyscraper form? If you look at them together, the spire seems like the torch, and the body of the skyscraper widens as it descends. I just sort of looks like it to me..if so, I appreciate this building SO much more...anyone know?
Yes, that was done intenionally, it was one of the concepts Libeskind first proposed and pushed to remain intact, which it has. It's supposed to be evocative of the raised torch of the Statue of Liberty.

Personally, I think it's horrible symbolism that just adds more constraints to the tower's design.
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #23
Mahaputra
Jakarta : Home sweet Home

Likes (Received): 0

sorry.. but how tall is it going to be again??
and who's the architect??
Mahaputra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #24
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaputra
sorry.. but how tall is it going to be again??
and who's the architect??
Here's an image that displays the heights, sorry it's only in feet, here are the conversions:

2000 feet - 610 meters
1776 feet - 541 meters
1500 feet - 457 meters
1150 feet - 350 meters

(Note: the official counting height is 1776 feet/541 meters, that's how much it is to spire, 2000 feet/610 meters it to antenna which don't count in buildings heights.)

It's also occupied only up to 1150 feet/350 meters, but there's a planned observation deck at 1500 feet/350 meters within the lattice.

The main architect is David Childs of SOM, with somewhat of a collaboration with Daniel Libeskind.
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #25
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDiveJunkee
I just noticed this by looking at the pic of the Freedom tower with the Statue of Liberty, but is the Freedom tower suppose to resemble the Statue of Liberty in skyscraper form? If you look at them together, the spire seems like the torch, and the body of the skyscraper widens as it descends. I just sort of looks like it to me..if so, I appreciate this building SO much more...anyone know?

HEY MAN!?!?! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!?! WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S CALLED THE FREEDOM TOWER???

YES, it is intitionally supposed to resemble the Statue Of Liberty !!!!

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #26
crunch
Occasional User

Man, it just gets uglier and uglier. I can't believe that they're actually going to put wind turbines in it. Some tower. It's embarrassing.
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #27
jockademus

Whats with the 500ft antenna. This is plain cheating if its counted as the tallest building.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #28
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

Is 7WTC a box? Or does it have angles that arent 90 degrees? I see renderings and pics and I cant tell.
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #29
-

Quote:
Is it true that 7WTC is the first skyscraper in NYC to have a concrete core??
I always thougt that Cityspire was entirely made out of concrete...
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #30
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_stupid_nut
Is 7WTC a box? Or does it have angles that arent 90 degrees? I see renderings and pics and I cant tell.
New 7 WTC is a parallelogram...

Old April 9th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #31
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

excellent pics..........
skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:10 PM   #32
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

whats the latest?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:10 AM   #33
New Jack City
User

Here's a picture from April 27th, taken by gripja.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #34
New Jack City
User

NY Times

Rising Above Ground Zero, Tower Slowly Takes Shape

Rising Above Ground Zero, Tower Slowly Takes Shape

Already 314 feet tall, 7 World Trade Center is designed to reach 52 stories and 750 feet. A view from an upper floor shows some of the planned 1.7 million square feet of office space.

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: May 5, 2004

After two and a half years of absence, there is a towering presence at ground zero.

That skyscraper of muscular concrete and sinewy steel on Vesey Street is not just overlooking the World Trade Center site, it is part of it. Building No. 7, the last tower lost on Sept. 11, 2001, is the first to be rebuilt. Its emergence has surprised out-of-towners and even New Yorkers who have not been to Lower Manhattan in a few months.

Now 314 feet tall, the building is destined to reach 52 stories and 750 feet. It will be sheathed in sheer, water-clear glass, with a kinetic, sculptural, stainless-steel wall by James Carpenter Design Associates around the Consolidated Edison substation at the base.

In a speech today, Gov. George E. Pataki is expected to announce that power will start flowing through the substation by the end of the month. After the speech, he will visit 7 World Trade Center.

(Mr. Pataki may also soon announce a chairman for the World Trade Center Site Memorial Foundation, which will oversee the creation of the memorial and the cultural center. One prominent name mentioned among the possible candidates is Sanford I. Weill, chairman and chief executive of Citigroup and chairman of Carnegie Hall.)

The governor's visit to 7 World Trade Center may be a tonic for the developer, Larry A. Silverstein, who has been fighting with his insurers over the main trade center site. He holds 99-year leases on both parcels from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

On Monday, a federal jury whittled Mr. Silverstein's total possible insurance claim to $4.68 billion, about $2.5 billion less than he sought. As his potential proceeds have shrunk, doubts have grown about Mr. Silverstein's ability to complete four more office buildings around the site, after the $700 million 7 World Trade Center and the $1 billion- to-$1.3-billion Freedom Tower, for which financing seems assured.

But Mr. Silverstein is no stranger to skepticism, since there were ample doubts last year that he would build 7 World Trade Center.

"I kept hearing and hearing that," he recalled in an interview Monday. "When I finally announced we had bought $60 million worth of steel, they still didn't believe. I think people finally changed their minds when the building reached 15 or 16 floors, and they said: 'You know what? He's doing it.' "

The structure is to pass the 615-foot mark in October, marking the moment when the new 7 World Trade Center exceeds the height of its shorter namesake, also built by Mr. Silverstein, where Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani had his emergency command center. This will occur around the 20th anniversary of the first groundbreaking.

Tishman Construction Corporation, which built the first No. 7, is building its replacement. Elio Cettina and Mike Pinelli are among the Tishman executives involved in both projects. And a number of ironworkers are reprising their roles, too, said Jack Klein, a vice president of Silverstein Development.

Seven World Trade Center is to be finished in late 2005 or early 2006, with 1.7 million square feet of office space. Apart from his own company, Silverstein Properties, Mr. Silverstein does not yet have tenants. But in the time-honored tradition of developers, he said there was "considerable interest," particularly now that there is a tower to see.

Already visible inside the tower is a hallmark of what is supposed to be its great durability and safety: a concrete core around the elevator shafts and fire stairs, two feet thick in most places. The stairways are ample, five and a half feet wide, and the landings are deep enough to fit a person in a wheelchair while others pass on the stairs.

"A firefighter carrying gear could walk up while people are walking down," said Nicholas Holt, an associate partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, which designed 7 World Trade Center, working with the structural engineers at the Cantor Seinuk Group. (They are also Mr. Silverstein's architects on the Freedom Tower.)

The surprisingly spacious lobby, sandwiched between two banks of Con Ed transformer vaults, is framed by steel-jacketed columns five feet in diameter. Outside, Greenwich Street will be recreated as a driveway for taxis and limousines but not as a through street. Across the street, Mr. Silverstein will build a 12,500-square-foot public park designed by Ken Smith.

The principal art in the lobby will be a 12-foot-tall wall of glass and light-emitting diodes by James Carpenter and Jenny Holzer, an artist known for using epigrams in her work. "What we did insist upon was the choice of the words," Mr. Silverstein said. "I wanted something uplifting, positive; that talked about renewal, talked about America, talked about freedom, talked about what our values are about."
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #35
New Jack City
User

I see a rendering of the new 7 WTC wasn't posted here, so here's some:

Lobby:

Old May 9th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #36
LibertyTwo
nohup rm -rf */*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockademus
Whats with the 500ft antenna. This is plain cheating if its counted as the tallest building.

From the same people who brought you, "Petronas is the new world's tallest, spires should count." Now bring you, "Freedom tower is cheating with the spire,it shouldn't count."

People in glass houses...or in this case, glass towers
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #37
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

thats a cool rendering. It looks a lot like the tallest building u/c in singapore at the moment.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #38
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

wow, that's crazy safety features they are placing in the new building. but i gotta point out that they are sorta missing the point. old seven wtc was a safe building and it would of NEVER collapsed if the faulty electircal switches that controls the emergency generators turned them on after they shut down the con ed substation in the building. turning those emergency generators on caused the fuel stored in the basement of the building to flow into fuel pipes ruptured by debris flying into the building, and the huge fire pretty much just claimed the building. the fire's not caused by burning debris from the towers. if that's the case, then verizon, deutsche bank, 90 west, and 2&3 would of probably collapsed too. there's no way any skyscraper can survive a fire that big, even new seven.

hopefully they won't let that technical design fault happen again on the new one.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:00 AM   #39
New Jack City
User

Long overdue update for this thread, these are the most recent pictures I've seen, notice the facade is now visible...

Old July 21st, 2004, 08:08 AM   #40
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

haha...yeah, it's overdue for a new update all rite. what can i say, there's already another thread like this in the nyc section.

can't wait for more of the glass to be installed. then i'll make the final judgement on whether this building's cool or not.

it's sorta weird how you can see the lighter portions on verizon building's facade where the building was repaired from gashes made by wtc steel.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote