daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #21
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

wow, this project looks fantastic.

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The latest renders looking promising, but seem to be devoid of a podium like the development across the street from it, Maple Leaf Square:

bravo.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #23
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
was this a joke? cause it wasn't that funny...
Toronto is a beautiful city, but it is ridiculous to compare it to New York.
No offense, but it's like trying to compare a 10 year old to an adult....
Technically it wouldn't be T.O's answer to Hudson Yards as it's located in Lower Toronto.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #24
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
Technically it wouldn't be T.O's answer to Hudson Yards as it's located in Lower Toronto.
No, you miss my point. They are two cities that are on two distinct levels. you can't compare them. If you say "toronto's answer to Hudson Yard project", it means there are two cities that can be compared. I don't see Toronto's answer to the WTC (4 supertalls) or even midtown, let alone downtown. This doesn't mean this project isn't nice. It just means they are on two different levels, that can't be compared.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #25
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4u View Post
"Ice will be designed in a Scandanavian design theme with an iconic green roof canopy element which will wrap around the entire York Centre and provide perhaps the largest green roof ever developed in the City of Toronto".

So there will be a podium with a green roof canopy, which you see in the render.
How green will it be in November, or December, or January, or February, or March? And how green will it be the rest of the year on a steady diet of car exhaust fumes drifting down?
Jaborandi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #26
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
No, you miss my point. They are two cities that are on two distinct levels. you can't compare them. If you say "toronto's answer to Hudson Yard project", it means there are two cities that can be compared. I don't see Toronto's answer to the WTC (4 supertalls) or even midtown, let alone downtown. This doesn't mean this project isn't nice. It just means they are on two different levels, that can't be compared.
Well both projects are near or built over railway lands. This justifies my point however silly it may sound to anyone of superiority. Frankly I could care less if Toronto never got a "supertall" We're aiming for hyper density, not some Dubai spectacle surrounded by surface parking. Besides geographically Toronto is unique in having a CBD, downtown, and midtown like NY despite being 1/3 the size. Can Chicago in spite of it's glamerous collection claim this?? No, in truth it hugs the lake. (i.e)Unlike Bloor in Toronto Chicago's luxury shopping is located in the CBD. Btw 16 York is an example of great urban planning and design.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #27
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
was this a joke? cause it wasn't that funny...
Toronto is a beautiful city, but it is ridiculous to compare it to New York.
No offense, but it's like trying to compare a 10 year old to an adult....
Relax, Roman...Toronto is a wonderful place, but we all know that the Big Apple is the number 1 alpha city in the number 1 alpha country....no worries..

also, I think that Toronto is more of a teenager than a 10 year old - and it's growing up fast!
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #28
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12194

Romanamerican, take a pill. No one is threatening New York. You can relax and stop acting so aggressively. You missed the point entirely, so best to just move on.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #29
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Actually you can compare anything. Contrary to popular belief you can even compare apples and oranges ie(round, fruit, grow on trees). Amazing isn't it ... and I bet you thought they were polar opposites.

There are many similarities between Toronto and New York with scale being the differing factor. In this case, we have new proposals adjacent to former rail lands with glassy towers connected by a canopy. Hudson Yards appears to be a dynamic new space though 16 York looks to be merely to be a great addition to a newly dense area. So I would'nt go so far as to say that it is Toronto's answer to Hudson Yards but we are all prone to bubble over with excitement at a new project which can result in a little verbal diarrhea. I do not think the comment was meant to start a pissing contest.

Incidently, bigger isn't always better. Toronto excels over New York in many ways. If you don't agree with that statement, then you must concede that Dubai owns New York in 5 years.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #30
Taller, Better
Administrator

Hey, I have a better idea! Why don't we stick to the topic and not turn this into a city vs city thing?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #31
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

well...i guess we finished our lesson on subjective logic, so yeah...we can move on.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #32
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'm not sure if this was posted , as my computer is downloading slow tonight, but it is a cool rendering of the project:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #33
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

People only familiar with the lake view of Toronto might be surprised to realize how far inland the downtown cluster is. It's not on the water front as it appears in those photos.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #34
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

really it is...
but those new buildings will shield the old CBD on the sight from the lake..IMO..
of course, as far as the new buildings are cool,, it doesn't matter.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #35
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, it will block much of it. The old CBD has run out of space to grow, so it will have to expand here. 7 new towers south of the train tracks. It's really going to increase the footprint of the CBD by quite a bit.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #36
yyzer

just a quick update, the condo portion of the project now has a name, "Ice" Condos, -actually pretty appropriate for Canada-, and apparently they have been selling a lot of units through real estate agent and VIP sales events...they have also commenced constructing a sales office for regular customers, as these two pics by CGM at urbantoronto.ca show...so the project is moving forward....

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #37
yyzer

some new renderings, posted by fad225 at urbantoronto.ca....pretty cheesy design!..these are officially called "Ice" condos, btw...mods, the header could be changed....I also believe they have begun pre-sales of at least one tower....hopefully they will go ahead inspite of the global situation...

Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM   #38
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Swiss cheesy to be exact Not bad, the top is interesting, I'd love to see how that would look in real life.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #39
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, it is very cheesy. Nice one yyzer!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #40
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

The podium is pretty weak. it'll look especially so being across the street from Telus and MLS.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice condos, southcore, toronto