daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #181
sbstn

Likes (Received): 5

The government here has been talking about putting a BRT from a suburb of San Juan, the capital, to connect it with the Tren Urbano, our train system. Has anyone seen something like this work well in their country or city?

The other option is to connect the suburb with the train by means of light rail, the obvious opposition to this is its higher cost.
sbstn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #182
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollfreak View Post
I heard from an ABC 7 news coverage in Chicago they will implement an express bus system similar to the busways. They will have a dedicated lane on the left shoulder of I-55 and is projected to operational in early 2010. The route is from the South West Suburbs and will stop at an "El" station (CMIIW).
Yep. I am very curious how and if it will work. I think it will and I hope it does as long as it doesn't try to impede on Metra Commuter rail service. I expect a handful of others like it witin a few years where there is appropiate space along the expressways to do so.

Quote:
[U]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7014767.story[/]
Express bus route will use I-55 shoulders
By Jon Hilkevitch | Tribune reporter
April 16, 2009
The Chicago region's first truly express buses will debut early next year, darting past traffic by using the left shoulders of Interstate Highway 55 between the Loop and the southwest suburbs, transit officials said Wednesday..........
The new service, operated by the suburban bus agency Pace, is scheduled to begin no later than spring 2010 and run initially during rush periods. There will be limited stops from the Bolingbrook area in Will County to a terminus as far east as the Dan Ryan Expressway or Lake Shore Drive, according to the Regional Transportation Authority, which plans to hold a meeting announcing the plan on Thursday........
From Chicago Tribune....
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #183
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystreak View Post
BRT system has started in New Delhi, India recently. There was wide spread rebuttal of the system intially but slowly its proving to be a success.

Slowly proving to be a success? The line was a mess from the start. It caused 5 deaths, and turned the corridor into a traffic nightmare. The New Delhi BRT is a perfect example of how NOT to do BRT, and there are calls to scrap the system, and give the laneways to cars.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #184
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
... and there are calls to scrap the system, and give the laneways to cars.
This is the stupidest idea ever!
Improve the system! Make it better!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #185
sbstn

iImprovement does sound better than scraping it haha
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #186
sbstn

Quote:
Slowly proving to be a success? The line was a mess from the start. It caused 5 deaths, and turned the corridor into a traffic nightmare. The New Delhi BRT is a perfect example of how NOT to do BRT, and there are calls to scrap the system, and give the laneways to cars.

Wow, that's intense.
I fear that would be a problem for where they want it in PR. but we don't know for sure, of course..
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #187
niknak

Likes (Received): 319

Delhi BRT project selected for Taiwan award
Delhi chief secretary Rakesh Mehta has left for Tainan city in Taiwan to receive the award at a function on Wednesday at an Asia Pacific conference
PTI
New Delhi: Delhi Government might be receiving flak for the controversial Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor here, but the project has been selected for an award by a Tawain-based organisation.
Delhi chief secretary Rakesh Mehta has left for Tainan city in Taiwan to receive the award at a function on Wednesday at an Asia Pacific conference being organised by a voluntary body, People to People International’s Tainan Chapter.
Before leaving for Taiwan, Mehta said international experts have complimented the project and there is need to educate people about usage of the corridor.
“BRT is going to provide efficient mass transportation,” he said, adding the fact that the project has been chosen for the Asia Pacific award indicates its importance.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India in its latest report had pulled up the Delhi government for implementing the project in haste ignoring suggestions from the concerned experts.

Quote:
Actually, the BRT has become a success in New Delhi. Initially, there were lots of problems, since this was the first BRT in India, and no one knew which lanes to drive in, but now it's working very well. It's also harder to implement in India because there are many more types of vehicles in Indian cities (rickshaws, cycle-rickshaws, bicycles, bullock-carts, scooters, etc.) that aren't present in many other cities.

The political party that implemented the BRT won elections again and the BRT was one of the things they showed as their successes. Plans for new BRT corridors are underway. They are definitely not scrapping the BRT in Delhi.

Last edited by niknak; April 20th, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #188
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

How do people get to the BRT platforms? Are there dedicated pedestrian crossings or underpasses to the platforms as that road looks very busy.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #189
sbstn

when was the first BRT implemented in New Delhi?
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #190
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstn View Post

Wow, that's intense.
I fear that would be a problem for where they want it in PR. but we don't know for sure, of course..
It's the truth. I do not hate BRT, or have any bias against. Anything that improves transit is OK in my books. This project was poorly planned, and implemented. They TOOK away lanes from an extremely busy road, and gave it to the buses. Sound good in theory, but all they did was force cars into less road space. They should have expanded the road width when adding the bus lanes. To call this system a success is stretching it.
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #191
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
It's the truth. I do not hate BRT, or have any bias against. Anything that improves transit is OK in my books. This project was poorly planned, and implemented. They TOOK away lanes from an extremely busy road, and gave it to the buses. Sound good in theory, but all they did was force cars into less road space. They should have expanded the road width when adding the bus lanes. To call this system a success is stretching it.
Public transport over private car usage must always be favoured, even if its not the popular decision.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #192
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Public transport over private car usage must always be favoured, even if its not the popular decision.
Not when it produces chaos, and make it harder for pedestrians in the corridor.
5 deaths of pedestrians trying to reach the buses. Nuts!
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #193
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Correction, NMT and Public Transport must be favoured.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM   #194
niknak

Quote:
Just because 5 people died does not mean you should totally abandon a project and stop future expansion, as you are suggesting. Just because five people died in accidents, should millions of other public transit users suffer by not having better public transit?

Instead, they should focus on increasing safety in the current and future corridors and make sure there are fewer accidents in the future.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #195
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
Just because 5 people died does not mean you should totally abandon a project and stop future expansion, as you are suggesting. Just because five people died in accidents, should millions of other public transit users suffer by not having better public transit?

Instead, they should focus on increasing safety in the current and future corridors and make sure there are fewer accidents in the future.
I never said to abandon the project. There were calls to abandon the projects from political figures in India.

What I am saying, is the project should not be considered a success, because it was poorly planned, and executed. This project caused many accidents, and deaths. How is that a success? I,m sorry but it's not. This BRT is an example of how not to implement a transit system.

Last edited by JustinB; April 22nd, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM   #196
niknak

In the last 8 months, there has not been a single accident on the BRT corridor in Delhi.

There were a few deaths initially since no one in India had ever heard of a BRT and motorists didn't know what was going on (which is completely normal when you implement a brand new transit system in a country). Also, pedestrians in Delhi are usually very impatient and normally dont use crosswalks, which led to further confusion in the beginning. So yes, when it started, it was not a success at all, but now the Delhi BRT is a success.

During elections, the government that implemented the BRT won in every district adjacent to the corridor!!!

Now, the BRT is a success and a majority of people in Delhi are happy with it. Delhi's government is continuing the expansion of the corridor.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM   #197
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The Dehli BRT seems to be a major success. For some light rail supporters, any system that doesn't have steel wheels and a pantograph is automatically considered a failure. The success of BRT can be measured by the amount of vituperative that some light rail advocates hurl at it. Light Rail Now is a prime example:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_brt.htm

Light Rail Now's propaganda should be balanced by the propaganda from pro-BRT websites:

http://www.gobrt.org/

http://www.nbrti.org/

http://brtc.homestead.com/index_2.html
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM   #198
greg_christine

Quote:
...What I am saying, is the project should not be considered a success, because it was poorly planned, and executed. This project caused many accidents, and deaths. How is that a success? I,m sorry but it's not. This BRT is an example of how not to implement a transit system.
Would you consider the light rail Blue Line in Los Angeles a success? The following is the Blue Line's accident record from its opening in 1990 through 2008:

Total Metro Blue Line Incidents/Accidents: 821
Transit vs. Vehicle Incidents: 652
Train vs. Ped. Incidents: 169

Total Metro Blue Line Fatalities: 90
Train vs. Vehicle Fatalities: 26
Train vs. Ped. Fatalities: 64
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #199
JustinB

Only Mr. Christine would attempt to make this into a LRT vs. BRT debate, when it is about one BRT system that was poorly planned, and implemented. This is not an anti-BRT rant, as Mr. Christine would love to claim.
I have no bias against BRT as viable option. I support any bus or rail transit line(except Monorail, waste of money), where it is justified. I think BRT is a great way to improve capacity in a corridor where rail is not justified. I have issues where rail is the better option, but BRT is built instead, only to have the BRT line quickly reach capacity, and not be able to expand(The LACMTA Orange Line, for example). The fact remains, the initial BRTS corridor was not a success. There was serious problems, which were caused by the implementation of the corridor. The road should have been widened to accomodate the extra lanes. Giving 2 lanes to the buses, and forcing the same number of cars into less space was a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of the Blue Line, 70 of those fatalities were the result of people breaking the law, and trying to beat the train. 20 were suicides.

Never trust Mr. Christine's post, as he likes to fudge the truth to fuel his anti-transit agenda.

A quality bus service in my home region that is currently upgrading to BRT, with an eventual upgrade to LRT:

www.vivayork.com/?go=vivanext_rapidways

Click enter, and you should be directed to the proper page.

Last edited by JustinB; April 23rd, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #200
greg_christine

This is exactly what I was writing about in my previous posts. If you visit any thread on this forum about BRT, PRT, monorail, or maglev, you will see the same individuals criticizing the systems and calling them failures. Any mention of problems with light rail results in those same individuals becoming defensive and spewing forth streams of excuses.

Tags
brt, bus rapid transit, public transport, urban transport