daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #361
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelot View Post
Electric car + nuclear powerplants = no global warming risk.
I am dubious about the universal application of nuclear power. There are legitimate concerns about its safety in the industrialized democracies of North America, Western Europe, and Japan. There are even greater concerns about its use in less stable countries in the developing world. We have not yet seen what could happen to an operational nuclear power plant in a war zone. Wind and solar together with biofuels may be our best hope. Perhaps the ITER and NIF projects will yield results sufficiently promising to lead to the development of fusion power.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #362
Tiago Costa
Servir sempre!

Quote:
Nantes' buses are crap, I'm sorry,huge mistake form their politicians. Sooner or later a government will come and transform the busway in a car lane.
Your opinion, not necessarily the opinion of the politicians, neither necessarily the opinion of the system's users. And nothing will prevent a government to do the same with a LRT system.
Tiago Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #363
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
I am dubious about the universal application of nuclear power. There are legitimate concerns about its safety in the industrialized democracies of North America, Western Europe, and Japan.
Basically, no, there aren't, there are only bogus concerns.

Quote:
There are even greater concerns about its use in less stable countries in the developing world. We have not yet seen what could happen to an operational nuclear power plant in a war zone.
Probably nothing, nothing that wouldn't happen to any other powerplant. Nuclear powerplants can withstand the crash of a fully loaded Beoing 747.

Quote:
Wind and solar together with biofuels may be our best hope. Perhaps the ITER and NIF projects will yield results sufficiently promising to lead to the development of fusion power.
No objections there, as long as we stop the fossil fuel dementia and adopt nuclear power (don't forget, solar power is nuclear fusion power). And there are more promising researches than ITER. Biofuels... not so great, it's still burning. And burning is stupid when you have E=mc2 on your side.
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #364
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Water dams (for every purpose) are far more dangerous than nuclear powerplants if you think of "war zone scenario", but we don't stop building them anyhow.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #365
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

spot on!
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #366
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Water dam when blowed up can damage an area only once and only for short period. Nuclear powerplants can make an area useless for thousends of years. This could result in a 'cancelation' of a country for ever. At least its teritory.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #367
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

The "lolwut" pic would be the best here. Even the effects of the nuclear bombs droppen onto Japan lasted only for 35 years. There is not thousands of years. Thats the time needed for the fuel to degrade into iron.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #368
Falubaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
The "lolwut" pic would be the best here. Even the effects of the nuclear bombs droppen onto Japan lasted only for 35 years. There is not thousands of years. Thats the time needed for the fuel to degrade into iron.

The "lolwut" pic would be the best here.

For more info start searching maybe here:

"The Chernobyl disaster released as much as 400 times the radioactive contamination of the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Even wikipedia allows u to know some facts on Czernobyl deasaster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster_effects

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #369
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
The "lolwut" pic would be the best here.

For more info start searching maybe here:

"The Chernobyl disaster released as much as 400 times the radioactive contamination of the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Even wikipedia allows u to know some facts on Czernobyl deasaster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster_effects
Damn,at least read the f*cking article then...

""Eventually the land could be utilized for some sort of industrial purpose that would involve concrete sites," Randall Bell continues. "But estimates range from 60 – 200 years before this would be allowed. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernob...hernobyl_today

For less embarassing moments,think before you speak
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #370
Falubaz

It's all only guessing nowadays, for all of us 200 years and 20.000 years is actually the same, neither we nor our children could use it ever. The point is that blowing up a dam and a nuclear powerplant can't be compared. eot

Last edited by Falubaz; December 16th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #371
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
Now that's a very good question.

Even Dade County's metrorail system hasn't attracted hasn't attracted as many riders many as it could or should, so it's not surprising that BRT ridership hasn't met expectations.

Although the density is actually high, the car culture still seems to dominate in South Florida.
it hasn't attracted as many riders cause the metrorail does not go where I need to be or going.....I live in Aventura....if we had a line, let's say, Downtown to Aventura, sure, more people will ride the train...especially people that live in Hollywood/Hallandale or Ft. Lauderdale.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #372
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Rail transit is good as it provide ALTERNATIVES to road transit. Busways, however, are a kind of Third-World, poor country solution - duct tape to stop a bleeding. It will not work, escpecially in US, when buses are viewed as a lesser-vehicle used mainly by illegal immigrants and the extremely poor.

Good rail transit: T-Rex project, Salt Lake City light rail etc.

Bad transit: all BRTs in America, begining with Los Angeles's one. They steal space from cars, and are built solely because road capacity is already there. BRT would never be a choice if systems were compared as if no infra-structure exists and right-of-way for busways had to be bought from private landlords instead of stolen from car drivers.
"buses are viewed as a lesser-vehicle used mainly by illegal immigrants and the extremely poor" ....WOW... that is harsh!!! I do drive a Mercedes-Benz (SLK-350) but I choose to ride the bus sometimes to go to work...cause I work in Miami Beach (South Beach) and I do not like to put up with the headaches of finding parking in South Beach, for those of you who are familiar with the area, traffic in South Beach can get crazy....but if the city of Miami will give an alternative of riding a rail system that would go where I need to go....yeah...I will leave my car parked at home and will defenately ride the train everyday to work. Miami's Metrorail only has one line....they need to buil more lines...at least to my neighboorhood...(Aventura).
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #373
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Andrelot has a point with that statement. There is, generally, an unfortunate social stigma against buses. Whether it's that extreme or not, it really depends on who you ask. What I don't agree with is the rest of the statement. Most studies, especially the ones in Vancouver, show that there is less ridership potential and capacity of a BRT system compared to a rail system, LRT or heavy rail.

Both BRTs and LRTs steal spaces from cars anyway, and of course it really depends on the implementation of these systems. That's just irrelevant.

I don't think a comparison of BRT and LRT is necessary sometimes. From an economical standpoint, depending on the route, LRT can be considered a risky investment since one doesn't know whether there is enough ridership for a LRT system. Thus, implementing BRTs on the exact route would be safer because it tests to see if there is potential ridership on a route. If there isn't enough ridership for a LRT line but enough for a BRT, then there isn't a need to upgrade a route. If ridership is forecasted above projections, then it's successful, and implementing the busway to rail would be easy and relatively inexpensive, and the buses can be used on other routes as well. This model is used in many transit agencies, especially in Vancouver, where the many "BRTs" (more like limited stop express buses) are upgraded to rail: 98 B-Line now the Canada Line Light-Metro, 97 B-Line to be upgraded to Evergreen Line ALRT, and 99 B-Line to be upgraded to Millennium Line ALRT extension or a LRT line.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #374
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

I wonder if LRT will eventually become viewed as transportation for the poor, just like buses. I remember seeing an article published about the Blue Line in Los Angeles with the title "Killing Time on the Ghetto Blue".

http://www.laweekly.com/2004-01-22/n...he-ghetto-blue

"Thirty-five thousand people board its Japanese-built three-car trains going both directions each day. Many of them are poor: The MTA’s demographic profiling shows that the median household income on the Blue Line is $17,000."
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #375
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

More important than what "kind" (I don't like the term) of people it transports is the public perception about for whom a PT system is made.

Rail services, running in different vehicles and different track surfaces, are associated with something [i]different than[i] car road transport. Meanwhile, buses are associate with a lower-quality, less-private, more-risky road transport.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #376
Tiago Costa
Servir sempre!

Just because they have this image associated with them, doesn't means that this will be always the reality. Also, the image of the public transport to non-users can be changed (not every person will change it's point of view, of course), with campaings showing the quality and the advantages of the public transport system (when is quality and advantages).
Tiago Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #377
Eurotram
Eurotram

Likes (Received): 2957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Water dam when blowed up can damage an area only once and only for short period. Nuclear powerplants can make an area useless for thousends of years. This could result in a 'cancelation' of a country for ever. At least its teritory.
Falubaz,have you heard that one of nuclear reactors which had to be settled in Żarnowiec before 1989,STILL works (with no problems) in Finland?So I'm not affraid of that nuclear power plant they are going to build in few years in the same place;your reaction is a little bit like: "Och,have you heard of that plane which crashed today morning?I'll never travel by plane!"
Eurotram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #378
Eurotram
Eurotram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Costa View Post
Just because they have this image associated with them, doesn't means that this will be always the reality. Also, the image of the public transport to non-users can be changed (not every person will change it's point of view, of course), with campaings showing the quality and the advantages of the public transport system (when is quality and advantages).
Tiago,I have a better proposal:let's check,who uses the subway in Tokyo
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #379
Falubaz

i have nothing against that, just found it considerable what would happen with a nuclear powerplant in a war zone... we havent experienced that before - as mentioned above...

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #380
Eurotram
Eurotram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Costa View Post
Your opinion, not necessarily the opinion of the politicians, neither necessarily the opinion of the system's users. And nothing will prevent a government to do the same with a LRT system.
It's his opinion and it's his right to write it. I can say,that buses used in Nantes' BRT are not crap;in my opinion Citaro is (maybe) the best bus of the world.But... It's a city-centre bus line,rather short and it has a little bit than a half of passengers that use the "weakest" tram line in Nantes.And I wouldn't be so sure if it will be not conversed to LRT,when they (SEMITAN) decide to extend this line;by the way,it wouldn't be the first BRT line in France converted to LRT

Tags
brt, bus rapid transit, public transport, urban transport