daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #121
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Wow, thank you to everyone posting photos, really neat to see how it all differs. Pule, can't wait to see the stations!

Last edited by adrimm; April 8th, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
adrimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #122
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

AUCKLAND's BRT - Northern Busway *NORTH STAR*

ALBANY STATION:

CONSTELLATION STATION:

SUNNYNOOK STATION:

SMALES FARM STATION:

AKORANGA STATION:

DESIGN FEATURES:

Busway creates interest overseas
NZ HERALD - 5:00AM Saturday March 22, 2008

Auckland's new $300 million Northern Busway is attracting international interest, notably among corporations wanting to use it as a backdrop for advertisements. Although the 7km busway itself is being kept out of bounds, North Shore City Council has agreed to make its associated Albany park-and-ride bus station available for a fee at quiet times to local and overseas film crews. Busway stations manager Anthony Blom confirmed the latest approach was from an international entertainment company which wanted to film the "futuristic-looking" station as the set for its next blockbuster computer animation game.

He would not identify the company, but said it was sending scouts to the station soon to study film angles. The station had already been used to film a number of advertisements, including one last weekend by a motor company wanting to showcase a new car model in an empty parking area. Mr Blom said his council, which owns the Albany station and four others further south along the busway, had no objections to allowing access to it in return for nominal application fees and promises by advertisers to accept liability for any damage.

"We wouldn't want someone driving a new car through the bus station, and if they do that, they are going to have to pay for it," he said. But he said the council and Transit NZ had no intention at this stage of allowing advertisements to be filmed on the busway itself. Mr Blom said that although one company had asked to film a fuel-efficient "green" car on the busway, even that was considered an inappropriate use of a facility built to boost public transport. "We said no, because it was not an appropriate use of the busway," he told the Weekend Herald.

The busway has, meanwhile, been extended 250m south, so that Auckland-bound buses do not have to merge with general motorway traffic until after they pass under the Exmouth St footbridge towards the Onewa Rd interchange. Buses have the run of their own two-lane highway for 6.24km from Constellation Drive to Akoranga, at which point the busway is reduced to one lane for 680m for southbound services only. That lane will extended by a further 890m next year, to between Onewa Rd and the Harbour Bridge, but northbound buses will have to keep using the Northern Motorway and the Esmonde Rd interchange to reach the busway via the Akoranga station.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #123
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Those stations look pretty good. Thanks for sharing
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #124
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1422

In Jakarta , BRT is really jammed by people .. I guess there are about 5-6 corridores. It was firstly operated in 2004.

We call it BUSWAY (or TiJe = TransJakarta)
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #125
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Those stations look pretty good. Thanks for sharing
You are welcome
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #126
goravens
07 Champs

Likes (Received): 1

Ottawa has a grade-separated transitway through a large part of the city (but not the CBD). in the outer suburbs, the buses usually go on highway lanes or in bus lanes on arterial roads. BRT is working fairly well for Ottawa but as canadave87 referred to we are now looking to convert to LRT...

got these pics from metrojacksonville.com, ssp (deez), or wikipedia

there is a station that connects to our main rail station

the BRT is on the surface bus lanes through the CBD. unfortunately with lights and a high volume of buses, they tend to jam up in some locations

image hosted on flickr

this is an inner suburban station...

this station is integrated under a major shopping mall

this is not in the main BRT section, but we sometimes have problems with snow

goravens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #127
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2080

Wow - looks like Ottawa could make good use of an underground transportation system.
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #128
Shado

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goravens View Post
the BRT is on the surface bus lanes through the CBD. unfortunately with lights and a high volume of buses, they tend to jam up in some locations

image hosted on flickr
Ouch, it always shocks me how some people spend a good bit of money putting a system in, but they ignore one of the most important parts.

In Brisbane the system goes right through to the city, where obviously you need some serious unloading capacity.

Stolen from BrizzyChris in the Ozscrapers section:

This is the second underground stop being constructed int the city, only a hundred meters or so from the first (yes that's a bus station). The busses are tunneled out of the central part of the city without having to interact with other traffic at all. The road infront of it is actually also pretty much bus stops only, as well as being a 'local traffic' road only. Behind / beside the station is the square next to city hall, underneath the bus station is a carpark (the new station tunnel takes up the top few levels of what was carpark). And opposite is a pedestrian mall, which also has bus tunnel under it, and entrances to the other much older station (from the 1980s !). It's the largest underground bus complex I know of.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #129
Shado

Another pic:

(It's set to open I think 19 May 2008)

Will have to get more when it opens.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #130
adrimm

I was curious about that system in Merida, so I looked up some more pictures:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by adrimm; April 19th, 2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: fixing photos
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #131
adrimm

You can tell from this model that they have the buses running counterflow to regular traffic so they didn't have to buy special buses with the doors on the opposite side:

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #132
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 31

Trans Jakarta Bus Rapid Transit System ("Busway")

image hosted on flickr

Median bus stop

image hosted on flickr

Median bus stop

image hosted on flickr

Flying bus stop

image hosted on flickr

Connecting walkway

image hosted on flickr

Hop in!

image hosted on flickr

Inside the bus

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier

Last edited by firmanhadi; May 1st, 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Fixed links
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM   #133
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 31

Trans Jakarta Bus Rapid Transit System ("Busway")

image hosted on flickr

The bus

image hosted on flickr

The bus

image hosted on flickr

In the city

image hosted on flickr

Dedicated line

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM   #134
Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrimm View Post
You can tell from this model that they have the buses running counterflow to regular traffic so they didn't have to buy special buses with the doors on the opposite side:
Hmm, I think it's so that the buses can use other stops, in combination with them not having to build a stop on each side. Because buses with doors on the other side aren't that special, though buses with doors on both sides would be.

So yeah, so they don't have to buy buses with doors on both sides, buses with doors one either side are easily available since a good chunk of the world drives on the opposite side from each other. Doors on both sides would also lead to a lower seated capacity most likely.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #135
Shado

Couple of pictures reposted from the open day of the soon to be opened new station/tunnel for Brisbane's busway:

Pictures from Aussie Bhoy

Original thread here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=620242
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #136
adrimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post
Hmm, I think it's so that the buses can use other stops, in combination with them not having to build a stop on each side. Because buses with doors on the other side aren't that special, though buses with doors on both sides would be.

So yeah, so they don't have to buy buses with doors on both sides, buses with doors one either side are easily available since a good chunk of the world drives on the opposite side from each other. Doors on both sides would also lead to a lower seated capacity most likely.

I think it's most likely the cost-savings of using buses they already have.

Aside from the wonky directions I believe that Merida was likely was based on the Bogota/Guayaquil model, and it does *not* use curb stops at all. It's all median stations that each serve both directions of traffic.

The difference (aside from trolley wire) is that Bogota uses *left* door buses (3 sets of double doors), and instead of running counter to traffic they run in the same direction as traffic flow. Also, while left-door boarding they might not be special in Australia, I can imagine they would be special-order busses for us here in the Americas (North & South).. that makes them special in my books!!

Last edited by adrimm; May 8th, 2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #137
adrimm

You can see what I mean here:

Merida:

Bogota - similar idea, but the doors are on the left and buses same dir as traffic.

image hosted on flickr

The front of the bus below is actually on the *left* of this picture (below)The red TransMilenio buses *never* use curbstops, they only ever use median stations in the middle of the busways. Most riders get on along the trunk lines, not from the feeders.

Old May 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #138
lileigh

Fascinating! Bus doors on the "wrong" side instead of lanes on the "wrong" side. I guess they must figure they're never going to run those vehicles in general use - just for the busway. That's quite a commitment. Admirable.
lileigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #139
lipe_andreense

Likes (Received): 1531

Here in São Paulo, the buses have doors on both sides, so they can be used in exclusive lanes with central stops or in exclusive lanes with side stops

(here you pay the fare inside the bus, not in the stop)
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #140
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I have always thought that a BRT system for the Pioneer Valley/Five Colleges area would be good. PVTA already has a good bus network, but the schedules change after 9:00 and the buses never arrive at convenient times. A PVTA BRT network could take a step towards alleviating that problem.

But would the Five Colleges area be too sparsely populated to warrant BRT?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brt, bus rapid transit, public transport, urban transport