daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #161
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrimm View Post
Eugene's EMX - with doors on *both* sides so it can used median platforms and curbs.
Aha! Now I can appreciate the usefullness of BRT: it's geared for small communities. Good on Eugene for its clever thinking, I found Oregon's ways impressive my several times visiting there....
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #162
Parabellum
Fede

Likes (Received): 3958

I love those BRT systems, here in Buenos Aires we don't have BRT's. The buses system is a mess.
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #163
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Aha! Now I can appreciate the usefullness of BRT: it's geared for small communities. Good on Eugene for its clever thinking, I found Oregon's ways impressive my several times visiting there....
Here's a good video of the Eugene BRT System by New Flyer:
http://www.newflyer.com/docs/investo..._FlyerBRT.html
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #164
Chibcha2k
XPC Fagua chinanuca

Likes (Received): 464

I live in the home of Transmilenio, practically the base model, apart from Curitiba.
It's great and a really cheap alternative to metro, perfectly suitable to our current economical needs.

Sadly the model has shown its flaws, the mix of very greedy operators and a very lame city government to control them, has resulted in lots of congestion, lack of connectivity, and no real time saving compared to car or bus use, thus its popularity has gone to the floor and people are turning back to the use of cars and the awful buses to commute, decreasing transmilenio's effect on the city's pollution and traffic statistics. Both becoming worse and worse by the minute.

The result has been a probably mediocre metro proposal by the populist governing party, which has stopped the development of Transmilenio over very important axis of the city and surely creating a great fiscal gap for the years to come.

Anyway here's a map of the system, you can go almost anywhere in Bogotá in Transmilenio. Supposedly, in 10 years time you wouldn't be more than 1000metres from a TM station.

BTW those hallow white lines are the ones to be built from this year. Except for the Carrera 7 line.
Taya juwaralain wane lapü jumaiwajatü
Vito Apüshana
Chibcha2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #165
Shado

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
They scale very well, especially if you don't require special buses to use them. You can start out in a smaller community and cheaper system and move right into a bigger city with elaborate stations, tunneling and all the fittings you would find with the best light rail systems. This is good if you have a city that may have a more dense core but sprawling suburbs, the sort running a heavy rail through might be overkill for, and light rail would cost too much for but not be any better.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #166
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post
You can start out in a smaller community and cheaper system and move right into a bigger city with elaborate stations, tunneling and all the fittings you would find with the best light rail systems.
Unh-uhn: BRT's don't belong in bigger cities, plus --recalling Ottawa's 25-year-old intentionally dismal rationale-- their promotions to rail would more likely amount to nought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post
the sort running a heavy rail through might be overkill for
Chicken! Overkill for whom? for somebody else's greedy economics?!?

Non merci.
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #167
Fortyfiver

Likes (Received): 11

Guided busway in Adelaide

I don't think the Adelaide busway has been mentioned in this thread up to now.

There is a guided busway from central Adelaide (S Australia) to the northeast suburbs. At its outer end (at a large shopping center), buses leave the busway and travel to many different suburbs through the regular streets.

Although the busway requires specially adapted buses (guide wheels), these same buses can drive along the regular downtown and suburban streets before entering or leaving the busway.

There are some more details in Wikipedia "O-Bahn Busway". This type of guided busway was originally developed in Germany, and is used in Essen. It has been in use in Adelaide since 1986.

Hopefully someone from Adelaide can provide more information, and some photos.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #168
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Unh-uhn: BRT's don't belong in bigger cities, plus --recalling Ottawa's 25-year-old intentionally dismal rationale-- their promotions to rail would more likely amount to nought.
Bogata is an excellent example of how BRT works in a large city. Ottawa's BRT system is actually pretty amazing, but then again, Ottawa doesn't really have the best climate for articulated buses to be running smoothly [referring to horrible winter conditions].
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #169
Luckystreak

Likes (Received): 18

BRT system has started in New Delhi, India recently. There was wide spread rebuttal of the system intially but slowly its proving to be a success.

Old June 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #170
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Sure... if you think a city of nearly 8 million is small (Bogota), or a capacity greater than the London Victoria line's 25K ppdph is piddling.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #171
adrimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Here's a good video of the Eugene BRT System by New Flyer:
http://www.newflyer.com/docs/investo..._FlyerBRT.html
Have you read the Quickway report from the Mission Group/FTA?

http://www.nbrti.org/docs/pdf/BRT%20...l%20Report.pdf

Good stuff.

Actually they've got great stuff on their website; http://www.missiongrouponline.com/
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #172
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Ottawa's BRT system is actually pretty amazing
It might impress its tourists but not its commuters -- I've heard locals there refer to it as the De-cultured-way (instead of the Transitway), which is pretty fitting for this country's capital.

Hmph, I just read yesterday Montreal wishing to install a BRT on Henri-Bourassa est here, plus they wanna do the same along the length of Pie-IX. Both of these boulevards deserve metro service; in fact, what happened to Montréal's wish that Line 7 be bored underneath Pie-IX thereby introducing the province to steel-on-steel mass transit -- the steel industry wearied itself (through the 1970s) into convincing the provincial government to migrate away from its pneumatic traction a little. So, why the demotion?

Carry on.
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #173
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Toronto has a BST.

Bus Slow Transit.
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #174
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopalus View Post
delhi metro PILOT
it wasn't popular among delhi's car-driving population because the cars clogged up the roads. what the authorities should have done is tax car drivers and force them to use the brts. there are plans to expand this system all over delhi, but now it might be different because the car driving population responded to this so poorly.
Just have to give it time...with the price of fuel/petrol/oil reaching the stratosphere people will convert...just give them time.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG View Post
busnya bagus2 yah

di indonesia baru saja di mulai era brt

the plan was proposed on 2004

and it began to adapted on indonesia big city such as jogjakarta

denpasar--->Bali

pontianak and the other big city in kalimantan
Loose translation: The BRT Era in Indonesia is only beginning

Sounds great for Indonesia Now that they can see that Tije has been a success, what is the expansion plan? Which cities will have BRT next? And how soon?

To my mind Jogjakarta makes sense as the next place to implement BRT.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #175
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrimm View Post
Sure... if you think a city of nearly 8 million is small (Bogota), or a capacity
Heh heh -- just kindly shovin' it to Bogota, eh?
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #176
Longershanks

Recent experiances

Kunming has a good BRT system with 46Km of downtown roads exclusively for buses.

The same principle bus company in Kunming also run in HK where 40% of journeys are by bus and only 22Km of bus lanes of which a 1/3 are extended bus stopping zones, a 1/3 long cuts and the rest actual bus lanes. HK has a fantastic MTR but rubbish road provision for buses they always lose out to Lexus owners.
Longershanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #177
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Cape Town IRT: Integrated Rapid Transit

Video:

image hosted on flickr

Cape Town’s new IRT is under construction

Cape Town’s Integrated Rapid Transit (IRT) system will ensure safe, efficient, quality public transport around the city, but the public can expect some traffic delays while it is under construction.

Kylie Hatton, the City of Cape Town’s Media Manager, said the IRT would benefit all residents and tourists visiting Cape Town but the road works during construction would cause delays in some areas.

“We are doing everything possible to cause the least inconvenience to the public during the construction phases, and we apologise for the inconvenience experienced during this phase” said Hatton.

“The IRT system will benefit everyone in the city, from the poorest to the most affluent. To reap the benefits of an efficient, safe and reliable public transport service that will run every day of the year from 4:30 am until midnight, we need to endure some short term pain,” she said. “The long term gains for the city will be worthwhile and we hope the public will be understanding and patient during the construction phases.”

According to Hatton the city’s current public transport does not provide frequent scheduled services, or services out of peak times or at night. “Capetonians without private cars struggle to get to certain areas in the city,” she said. “The IRT will make the city more accessible for everyone.”

Once up and running the IRT system will resolve daily traffic congestion. “More people will use public transport once they see how fast, safe and reliable the IRT system will be,” said Hatton. “With fewer private cars driving to work every day, the IRT will reduce carbon emissions in the city.”

Hatton said a world class public transport system would also make Cape Town more enticing to tourists.

The new IRT system will be rolled out in phases over the next ten to fifteen years. Once complete it will cover the entire city and surrounding suburbs.

The first phase will include the airport – city link and the city – stadium link which will be completed by the World Cup in 2010. Thereafter the West Coast link along the R27, including Du Noon, Doornbach, Atlantis and Mamre, will be rolled out in 2010.

The 2nd phase will cover the areas south east of the city, including Khayelitsha and Mitchells Plain as well as the southern suburbs. The 3rd and 4th phases will cover the northern suburbs, such as Bellville and Durbanville and the Delft and Blue Downs areas, extending all the way to the Helderberg.

“The biggest construction areas for Phase 1 will take place along the R27 and in the city centre along Hertzog Boulevard and around the Civic Centre,” said Hatton.

“We have provided an outline of the schedule of construction. The IRT is one of the biggest projects ever taken on by the City and will provide a legacy to the next generation of a world class public transport system that will benefit all. We hope the public will be patient and understanding of the long term benefits to the city, should they be inconvenienced by the construction in the short term,” she said.

Outline of the IRT Construction Schedule – Phase 1

R27 - Blaauwberg Road to Atlantis
Construction of IRT stations between Atlantis and Sandown Road are being finalised, station construction begins in 2010.

R27 – From Sandown Road to Blaauwberg Road
Construction of cycle lane to be completed by March 2010.

R27 – from Blaauwberg Road to Milner Road (Paarden Eiland)
Dedicated IRT lanes and cycle lanes are currently under construction and will be completed by March 2010.

Potsdam Road from Doornbach to Blaauwberg Road
Construction of IRT lanes and a cycle lane begins July 2009 until mid-2010.

Bayside Centre linking to the R27
Construction of a major IRT station and cycle lane begins mid-April 2009

Blaauwberg Road (between R27 & Potsdam Road)
Construction of IRT lanes and a cycle lane in the median of the road will begin in approximately mid-June 2009. The construction will not affect the avenue of trees.

Hertzog Boulevard (and Civic Lane and Old Marine Road)
Construction of dedicated IRT lanes, IRT station and a cycle lane begins mid-April 2009 until March 2010.

Somerset Road
Cycle lane is currently under construction, completed by March 2010

Inner-city IRT Services to Hout Bay
Construction of IRT infrastructure including some IRT lanes, stations and cycle infrastructure begins in the second half of 2009

Century City
Construction of IRT stations begins at the end of 2009, from Century City via Bosmansdam Road and Koeberg Road to the R27 at Woodbridge Island.

Airport
The Airport Plaza, with an IRT station base structure will be completed by December 2009, the station top structure will be completed by March 2010.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #178
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

Hmm..out of the 8 corridors in Jakarta, i would say only 6 out of the 8 is efficient. Corridor 8 is the most inefficient one and ask any Indonesia SSC Forumer and i'll bet they'll agree on it. This is because the number of shared lanes with local traffic and a research conducted on the corridor said around 40% of it's route has "serious disruptions" to it. BRT's are only good if there are adequate medians/sidewalks along the route for the bus stop and a majority of a the route's road users have the same destination as the Busway-which is the opposite of corridor 8. But, the shift to BRT is sticking so far to the lower middle class and some parts of the middle class that Transjakarta has it own iPhone app now.
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #179
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The following is a StreetFilms video of the Transmilenio BRT system in Bogota, Columbia:

StreetFilms also has videos of the following BRT systems:

Curitiba, Brazil
http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/curitibas-brt/

Los Angeles (Orange Line)
http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...lus-bike-path/

Paris (Mobilien)
http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/mobilien/
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #180
tollfreak
Valid User

Likes (Received): 9

I heard from an ABC 7 news coverage in Chicago they will implement an express bus system similar to the busways. They will have a dedicated lane on the left shoulder of I-55 and is projected to operational in early 2010. The route is from the South West Suburbs and will stop at an "El" station (CMIIW).
tollfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brt, bus rapid transit, public transport, urban transport