daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Economy, Business & Investments

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #101
dopekhor
bleh!

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
Dope, you seemed to get worked up over Bangladesh defense force. Fact is, the situation/scenario isn't too different in many countries around the globe. I have mentioned this earlier, but did you know that in Peru, the officers retire with full pay, i.e., they receive the highest average salary as pension, the salary they earned, just prior to retirement?
As for the batman system, it should be abolished. It was the creation of the British Raj, which isn't even practiced in the UK.
shouldnt i be? bd doesnt even compare with peru, iths the 20th largest country in the world with a gdp of 8000+usd and bd no where in the picture

bd cant afford to waste it its resources on these jerks, had they spent this money on the solders themselves i would have been happy, just go to any shoinik colony and and officers colony you will see the difference they have the status of the super rich in bd

within a year of retirement they set up businesses with money from god knows where live among the elite.

many garments factory owners were previously army men and so are other prominent businessmen, politicians

same cant be said about peru can it?, i always wondered what happened to the profits of sena kalyan trust bank and radission and the golf club
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #102
King Nothing

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
bd cant afford to waste it its resources on these jerks, had they spent this money on the solders themselves i would have been happy, just go to any shoinik colony and and officers colony you will see the difference they have the status of the super rich in bd

within a year of retirement they set up businesses with money from god knows where live among the elite.

many garments factory owners were previously army men and so are other prominent businessmen, politicians
Well said. Not to mention they forced dictatorship down our throats for 15 years.
King Nothing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #103
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
the bd army does have a lot of extravagant spending, esp for the officers, they have rationed food, the expenses of their children education, their kajer loks, drivers, wifes garir driver and then pension money, when retiring a plot in dohs, garir tel, telephone bill house rent

wheres the money coming from? just go to their clubs and u will find out about their excesses! the army is earning a lot of profit where is that going? the army owns the radisson, the trust bank, rowa club, land leased to British American Tobaco, Phillips Factory, Golf Club, sena kalyan shangsta which owns savoy ice cream and so many other stuff
As I said earlier, I agree 100% regarding the need to curb corruption from armed forces and completely removing them from politics. But this is a different topic that modernization of Navy and Airforce to protect our national resources at Bay of Bengal.

It's like saying let us shut down parliament and all democratic practises because our ministers and MPs are corrupt. Afterall 42 MPs and 4 ministers who spent millions in elections are not even paying taxes. Infact they are as rich as any army officers in Bangladesh..
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #104
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Well said. Not to mention they forced dictatorship down our throats for 15 years.
the only positive thing we got out of it is the roads ershad made, other then that all i know is that they made some people billionaires, my dad used to tell me about this minister who was a relative of direct relative of hasina who stole so much that he had earned the title of "thief of bhagdad" and yet he was among their top notch!
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #105
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeem007 View Post
As I said earlier, I agree 100% regarding the need to curb corruption from armed forces and completely removing them from politics. But this is a different topic that modernization of Navy and Airforce to protect our national resources at Bay of Bengal.

It's like saying let us shut down parliament and all democratic practises because our ministers and MPs are corrupt. Afterall 42 MPs and 4 ministers who spent millions in elections are not even paying taxes. Infact they are as rich as any army officers in Bangladesh..
well what i said is that if the govt cuts down on the extravagant spending of the army officers they might have some extra money to spend on artillery!
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #106
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
well what i said is that if the govt cuts down on the extravagant spending of the army officers they might have some extra money to spend on artillery!
I agree but it's easier said than done, like any developing country, Bangladesh army has a huge influence in government. No PM or President can suddenly change these policies without risking power.. it is the same in Pakistan, Srilanka or Mexico.

But I do think the Armed forces deserve a bit more facilities(not ultra luxury ofcourse) than other public officers. This is because they are dedicted for the defense of our country and risk their lives.Secondly the are also earning 1.4 billion dollars for the country through UN missions (much better than the politicians who are getting much more money with 0 contribution to national economy).

Last edited by nayeem007; October 19th, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #107
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
I agree but it's easier said than done, like any developing country, Bangladesh army has a huge influence in government. No PM or President can suddenly change these policies without risking power.. it is the same in Pakistan, Srilanka or Mexico.

But I do think the Armed forces deserve a bit more facilities(not ultra luxury ofcourse) than other public officers. This is because they are dedicted for the defense of our country and risk their lives.Secondly the are also earning 1.4 billion dollars for the country through UN missions (much better than the politicians who are getting much more money with 0 contribution to national economy).
do u think they are getting bit more? the army soldiers are earning that money not officers for every 100/200 soldier i think there is one officer
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #108
King Nothing

Quote:
This is because they are dedicted for the defense of our country and risk their lives.
What was the last war they fought in? 1971. Also it is the shoiniks who fight the war not the officers.
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #109
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
What was the last war they fought in? 1971. Also it is the shoiniks who fight the war not the officers.
what happened to the shadharon jonota?
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #110
King Nothing

Quote:
what happened to the shadharon jonota?
Im talking abt a general war. Why would shadharon lok fight there. Shadharon can only fight as guerillas.
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #111
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
Im talking abt a general war. Why would shadharon lok fight there. Shadharon can only fight as guerillas.
as far as i know a lot of the muktijoddhoas were not in the senabahini
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #112
King Nothing

Quote:
as far as i know a lot of the muktijoddhoas were not in the senabahini
The officers who fought in the war belonged to the east-pak military. Ppl like Zia (RIP), Khaled Mosharraf (RIP), Bir Sreshto Matiur (RIP), Col Taher (RIP). Once the war ended they joined the BD military. Even my Khalu who wasnt an officer before 71 but fought in the war as a shadharon manush was offered a post.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #113
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Come on, talk some sense. You cannot have a defense force without officers i.e., a chain of command. As for pay disparity, it exists everywhere. Even in the US Army, an average GI salary is nowhere near that of an officer's. Nobody puts a gun to anybody's head to make him become a (foot) soldier. Is it any of the officer's or even the institution's fault, that a person becomes a soldier as opposed to an officer? It is up to every individual to make their choices. If you do not go to school and become educated, but choose to join the army because it sure beats being a common man on the street, whose fault is that? The same can be said about the civilian work force, because a doctor's income potential is always far greater than that of an engineer's, all things being equal (on the level, i.e., no corruption).

My personal observation is that between you and Dope, you harbor a certain grudge against the defense forces. If you folks have the same attitude towards Bangladesh Police or Customs, then I would concede that there exists a balance (in your opinions), because these institutions are thoroughly corrupt, from top to bottom.

I know they (the defense forces) have way too many perks and live a pampered live, but it is a necessary evil.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #114
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
No sir, the funds that are needed to update and maintain modern military hardware, runs into multimillion dollars, if not billions. The total annual income of Sena Kalyan, wouldn't buy you a single A1-N1 Abrams tank! On the other hand, if the GoB cut down the excesses, it could perhaps pay for the energy consumption of a division of the army.

Last edited by TIslam; October 19th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #115
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
shouldnt i be? bd doesnt even compare with peru, iths the 20th largest country in the world with a gdp of 8000+usd and bd no where in the picture
same cant be said about peru can it?, i always wondered what happened to the profits of sena kalyan trust bank and radission and the golf club
Yes, indeed very much so. The Peruvian defense force officers constitute the cream of the society, the elite. This is information gleaned from my Peruvian friend whose brother-in-law just retired from the army.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #116
King Nothing

Quote:
C
My personal observation is that between you and Dope, you harbor a certain grudge against the defense forces.

Sorry I didnt get you here. Just I have grudge against the defence forces or both me and dope do.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #117
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Sorry I didnt get you here. Just I have grudge against the defence forces or both me and dope do.
Any particular reason why? Have you or anybody related to you been victimized by them?
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #118
King Nothing

Ok I guess I dint phrase that right. Are you saying both me and dope have a grudge or just me?

I'll type a detailed post abt my views on the forces soon.
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #119
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
No sir, the funds that are need to update and maintain modern military hardware, runs into multimillion dollars, if not billions. The total annual income of Sena Kalyan, wouldn't buy you a single A1-N1 Abrams tank! On the other hand, if the GoB cut down the excesses, it could perhaps pay for the energy consumption of a division of the army.
i am pretty sure even in the us the disparity isnt the same as in bd, in bd the soldiers live a miserable life compared to the officers i aint telling to give them the same luxury what i say is to curb this spending and bring up the standard for soldiers i guess you never been to a colony in dhaka

radission alone generated more then 10 million profit last year and then they have trust bank, sena kalyan sgangsta isnt any small organization they have 20 storied plaza in motijheel
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #120
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Ok I guess I dint phrase that right. Are you saying both me and dope have a grudge or just me?
You and him both.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: