daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM   #21
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy_1 View Post
its going to be quiet on a thursday before everyone has come out of work....you should see it on a friday night in mid december, you cant move!!
Brum's is pretty full all day long.

Image by Ginger Tosser:

Sponsored Links

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #22
WatcherZero

Birminghams is only less than half as big though.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #23
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

The two are laid out differently. Whilst Machester's is rather broken up along various squares and streets, Birmingham's is very much a continuous sprawl over a 1km stretch with the obvious centrepiece being in Victoria Square. Manchester's is also set differently in that the themes change at each venue.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM   #24
spoonsbeatfish

Likes (Received): 0

Over the years the xmas markets have gradually expanded in Manchester. I'd expect this will continue to go on and think this is a good idea as long as we can carry on increasing interest and visitor numbers.

Anyone have any ideas about how the markets could expand, how should they expand, any new markets/types of markets could be created, any new attractions, what places in town could accommodate them, how things could be moved around, general decorations, any anything else regarding Manchester x-mas?
spoonsbeatfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM   #25
spoonsbeatfish

What do they have in Birmingham? Never been to the Birmingham xmas markets.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #26
PeteVincent82
Shabba!

Likes (Received): 3

They should expand from Brazenose St across to Spinningfields Sqaure in front of the Armani building and down through the Avenue.

Does anyone else think it looks a little weird how the have tacked the lights onto the trees ie to the trunk and part of the branches rather than around the trees like in Spinningfields. The trees look like they are dead at night.....if you know what I mean
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #27
hussla
hussla

Likes (Received): 4

Its like in the states,if you've ever been to new york or Chicago around Christmas time you'll notice that every tree....in fact ever inanimate object has got fairy lights nailed to it....i always wondered how they survived year on year!
hussla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM   #28
WatcherZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsbeatfish View Post
What do they have in Birmingham? Never been to the Birmingham xmas markets.
Its a lot more compact crammed into small spaces and its got a more fairground than market feel.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #29
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Its a lot more compact crammed into small spaces and its got a more fairground than market feel.
That's the main bit in Victoria Square, where there's the carousel and helter skelter. The market stalls then radiate out from this area, all the way down New Street towards Corporation Street and also out into Chamberlain Square, and along Centenary Square on Broad Street - although the Broad Street end isn't fairing so well at the moment because of half of Centenary Square cut off for construction of the new library soon.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM   #30
spoonsbeatfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVincent82 View Post
They should expand from Brazenose St across to Spinningfields Sqaure in front of the Armani building and down through the Avenue.
I think that shouldn't happen until the Avenue is up and running and the new market in Exchange Square leading on from New Cathedral Street would be more of a priority. What is exactly there btw? Is the wheel staying over xmas?

I would expect that the markets will probably expand as you suggested though next year once the shops have opened up. With the ferris wheel, the ice rink etc. combined with the space and location, just on from the main market makes it a sensible choice. I'm not sure if they are going ahead with it or not but several of the avenue renders (more recent ones if I'm not mistaken) include market style stalls/cafe/seating down the middle of the street to animate it more and make it more interesting. If that goes ahead, should be fairly easy to convert them to xmas style.

As for other places, St Peters Square, maybe in a fair years, depending on how the square is redeveloped. It could lead from Albert Square, down a closed down Lloyd street on to St Peters Square. Its already quite difficult to fit the main market just on Albert Square.

Stevenson Square again another maybe, once its been redone, but is maybe a bit too far out from the others. I think taking the cautious approach of slow expansion and generally into areas close by to existing xmas attractions is sensible as otherwise it could become to dispersed and lose its vibe.

Cathedral Gardens could be a place for something, but just like Pic Gardens does, it would probably get ruined, with all the grass needing replacement every year. Castlefield is probably too far out apart from maybe a one off weekend. The GN square and the new Greengate urban cove (to start soonish andbe finished end of next year?) again maybe but at the moment maybe too far out and in any case for any expansion/new markets there needs to be something new to actually offer. Or if there is the demand, should more of the same be done simply to satisfy the crowds?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM   #31
WatcherZero

Im glad they havent stuck that wooden decking outside Urbis this year (yet?), always wipes out the grass.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #32
GShutty

Likes (Received): 445

My fiancee is aprt of the 'anti-xmas market brigade'. Has anybody else encountered these?

In her eyes, there are lots of stalls, selling 'tat', you can get Bavarian beers across the city for less and indoors (when it's pouring down & freezing) and why does a sausage cost £3.50? All fair points.

Problem identified. Solution? How about a stage with a brass band, or orchestra? And why not?

Needless to say, I shall be there on Thursday, shivering, but still drinking a cold pint. I may even purchase some tat, however I shall forego the sausage and steam straight in for the spit roast hog. It's an annual tradition now after all, but should it and can it improved?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #33
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post

Problem identified. Solution? How about a stage with a brass band, or orchestra? And why not?

they had carol singers and the stockport steel band on brazenose street when i was there yesterday.

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:02 PM   #34
tucbiscuit

I remember going last year in an evening, not a friday or saturday mind, trying to get to the bratwurst stand in the middle, ending up in a crush, not being able to move an inch for several minutes and had to just make my way back out again at about a foot every ten minutes.

For me they get too busy these days as everyone is aware of them, years ago they were better when they were smaller and less common knowledge, imho anyway.
tucbiscuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM   #35
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
We have a band stage in Birmingham. We are there already.
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #36
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 303

Good grief is this now turning into "we have got a better Xmas market than you?"

Can we return to some maturity on here. The Skybar is there for such follies. Although I dont mind a bit of abstract cynicism at times to get through the day.

Is there some business link up between these two markets and the one In Nottingham?

My point being that essentially its different location, but they are similar in so many ways.

Both add a certain festive character to our cities. But I guess we have to be modestly intelligent to realise and wonder at the cleverness of our continental cousins in devising this.

G shutty I at times feel like your fiancee. There is plenty of tat on show. But there is in the Arndale as well. So I guess its about the ambiente than anything else. I just avoid obvious the ball crushing horde squeezing hours, enjoy topping up on the gluhwein and then head off into town.
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #37
Savage Henry

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucbiscuit View Post
For me they get too busy these days as everyone is aware of them, years ago they were better when they were smaller and less common knowledge, imho anyway.
Not even worth contemplating going at weekend, afternoon and evening especially, unless you plan on plotting up in the bar and staying there.

It amazes me people think its a good idea to take kids in pushchairs around there when its like that.
Savage Henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #38
neil

Likes (Received): 99

Manchester's Yule Tube: The city shares Christmas with the rest of the world

Published Wednesday 25th November 09

Are you the next Leona Lewis or Alexandra Burke? Have you got a good cause you want to tell people about? Do you want to send a Christmas message to a loved one across the miles?

Then come and take part in Manchester's Yule Tube, a world first.

Manchester's Yule Tube is Manchester's Christmas card to the world and is giving people the opportunity to perform, campaign or send a message online.

Manchester City Council will be setting up a stage in Piccadilly Gardens, Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 December between 11am and 3pm, and is encouraging as many people as possible to apply for one of the five minute performance slots.

If you've got talent, a good cause to promote or a Christmas message to send, Manchester's Yule Tube could be for you.

In the heart of Manchester's Christmas attractions, this is the chance to be seen on stage by thousands of Christmas shoppers before your star turn is potentially beamed around the world to millions of viewers. Special messages will be sent to our troops who are away from home as well as the 57 other Manchester's around the world.

The Manchester's Yule Tube messages will be filmed and shown on Manchester City Council's website and the best ten acts will also be selected to appear as part of Manchester's Christmas card to the world on the big screen in Exchange Square on Christmas Eve.

Councillor Pat Karney, Manchester City Council's city centre spokesperson said: "Manchester's Christmas card to the world will promote the UK's number one Christmas city across the globe. This is the perfect opportunity for people to get themselves seen and will also give people the chance to send a high profile message to someone they love this Christmas."

To be part of Manchester's Yule Tube, you can download an application form and guidelines for taking part at www.manchester.gov.uk/christmas. Applications to be in by Thursday 3 December 2009.

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #39
BiggerisBetter

Likes (Received): 9

Where are the markets for the rest of the year?
BiggerisBetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #40
WatcherZero

Broken up, touring the region as "continental markets"