daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #141
Kenyan_yungin

Likes (Received): 1119

This is in Changamwe, Mombasa where the 4 east african presidents will launch the railway line tomorrow (pics courtesy of a friend who's part of the project)

Statiq, african, Arzedu, CaspertheDj, primezz and 1 others liked this post
Kenyan_yungin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 28th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #142
Mwana Pwani

Likes (Received): 198

Here is the image of the train..........

President Kenyatta receives a model of a modern train from Mr Liu Qitao, the chairman of the China Communications Construction Company at State House, Nairobi, Wednesday ahead of Thursday’s ground-breaking ceremony for a standard gauge railway that will run from Mombasa to Malaba and eventually to Kampala, Kigali and Juba.

Construction work will be undertaken in three phases with Phase One starting from Mombasa to Nairobi, followed by Nairobi-Malaba and Kisumu in Phase Two and Malaba-Kisumu to Kampala in Phase Three. The projected completion date is 2016.
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #143
CaspertheDj

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyan_yungin View Post
This is in Changamwe, Mombasa where the 4 east african presidents will launch the railway line tomorrow (pics courtesy of a friend who's part of the project)

Concrete sleepers....i like
CaspertheDj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #144
Kenyan_yungin

You can watch the launch of the standard gauge railway-LIVE

http://www.kenyamoja.com/tv/kbc-live/

Adm.Adama, SE9 liked this post
Old November 28th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #145
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1447

I haven't been this excited since Thika Road Construction was starting. Can't wait to see this railroad reach Nairobi and finally to Malaba.

Kenyan_yungin liked this post
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #146
Kenyan_yungin

Same here, the Kenyan economy needs more +shocks like this.
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #147
abckris

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
I haven't been this excited since Thika Road Construction was starting. Can't wait to see this railroad reach Nairobi and finally to Malaba.
Because it's divided into 3 phases does it mean they will start in Mombasa, another one start in Nairobi, and another in kisumu?
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #148
abckris

Quote:
You can imagine how the economy will gain from this project directly during construction. I wish we had steel and iron factories, this would the biggest boosts to that company. It's an industry. 1.2trillion in three years? That's a lot of money. I hope a lot of materials are from Kenya.

Adm.Adama liked this post
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #149
abckris

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
Because it's divided into 3 phases does it mean they will start in Mombasa, another one start in Nairobi, and another in kisumu?
If the presidents were thinking and coordinating well, malaba Kampala and Kampala Kigali should start not too. So that it all starts operating at once. Transportation for the masses and bulk. Now that's a moving economy!!
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #150
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
I don't think so i believe that when the first phase reaches Nairobi in late 2015. Then the other lines constructions would begin.

It would have been cool if the projects were both started in malaba and mombasa and the epicenter being reached in Nairobi. Just like the east and west railroads in america.

Now i wonder if RVR will finally begin there track upgrades to standard gauge.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #151
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 14417

Exciting times for the country

SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #152
Netlink

Likes (Received): 790

Ground Breaking

SE9, ciceroji, african, Mwana Pwani liked this post
Netlink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #153
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Now i wonder if RVR will finally begin there track upgrades to standard gauge.
This, my friend, is the final nail in the RVR coffin. I read somewhere that China will also provide the locomotives for this line. RVR will simply not compete. Even the intercity bus companies are getting jitters about this project which will drastically cut travel time between all major cities.
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #154
abckris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
This, my friend, is the final nail in the RVR coffin. I read somewhere that China will also provide the locomotives for this line. RVR will simply not compete. Even the intercity bus companies are getting jitters about this project which will drastically cut travel time between all major cities.
There is a silver lining in every cloud. They'll find a way I'm sure. I'm just not sure how two rails are supposed to work along one another, one obsolete tech and the other new. Do they do this anywhere in the world?
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #155
Netlink

Likes (Received): 790

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #156
ciceroji

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Maybe the intercity companies are the one trying to sabotage the project through some MP's with all this chat about how the project was single sourced. What these idiots don't seem to realize is that China did Kenya a favor by providing the funding, and no other country or institution was willing to do so at the Chineses terms. So in such cases Single sourcing makes sense.

Plus we are not getting screwed on the price. This is obvious to anyone with any rail experience. Could we have gotten in 20% cheaper. Who cares. We are saving so much on the loan it more than makes up for it.

african liked this post
ciceroji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #157
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 780

Forget the price, once this is complete we have uganda by the balls and thats important

Manalive liked this post
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #158
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
People from the private sector could also invest in a train going by what I know, the govt is trying to make sure that the only thing they own is the track.
african está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #159
Snowlion
Snowlion

Likes (Received): 26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
Forget the price, once this is complete we have uganda by the balls and thats important

And as they say,

When You've Got Them By The Balls,Their Hearts And Minds Will Follow.
Snowlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #160
kihihi

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
The reality is it will also cost Kenya as it will make any happenings in Kenya a national security issue for Uganda. That will mean that any policy by Kenyan leadership that is seen as a threat to our access to the sea is legitimate grounds to intervene in Kenyan affairs and support Kenyan groups whose interests are aligned with our interests.
That will result in military interventions in Kenyan affairs increasing in frequency. You all know how Uganda sent troops to help quash the luo uprising in western kenya in 2008 over Odinga. Expect such interventions to increase in frequency and the reality is there is nothing much u can do about is as we have an option of building a rail link with tanzania which can compensate for any adverse political and public reaction to our continuous intervention in your affairs. While you need us for your export markets as we are your largest trading partner and are likely to be so for the long term as our population is expected to exceed yours in in 25 years time.
kihihi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
infrastructure, kenya