daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Karnataka

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 765 votes, 4.98 average.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #1
xetairex

Likes (Received): 3

Railway development in Karnataka

Hi,

After formation of SWR zone with HQ in Hubli (not Bangalore, as I has mistakenly wrote earlier) not much (if ever) has been heard about improving railway connectivity of the north of Karnataka with it's capital. Why aren't people in Karnataka not interested in having BG double lines, with electrification to their state capital?

It's just sad that more people are not concerned by this. All I hear of in Karnataka is to have a small new line added to some small town or other, but less about actually doubling important backbone lines like Belgaum - Bengalore, and much less about electrification beyond the Bengalore-Mysore general region.

Most (if not all) states in India have better Railway infrastructure with regards to connectivity of the state capital with the rest of the state. Not Karnataka, which is not a small state and not a poor state by any means.

Any thoughts on this?

Satsihkumar liked this post

Last edited by xetairex; May 21st, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
xetairex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Likes (Received): 2552

any day I will prefer KSRTC services over Indian railways .......

Railway network in Karnataka

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK

Last edited by engineer.akash; December 17th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
engineer.akash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 2746

It could be better if the thread is common for the railway projects in Karnataka instead of having a topic for a single project. This thread may invite new members who love to know about the railway infrastructure in Karnataka.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #4
kg4129

Likes (Received): 1348

+1
kg4129 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

this thread is uncalled for....never has anything happened or will happen on a massive scale when it comes to railway infrastructure in karnataka.........

mods kindly delete this thread.....

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Arul Murugan

Akash,

There are more new line much active in Karnataka for example,

1. Bangalore-shravanabelagola new line
2. Bangalore-Cuddapah new line
3. Talaguppa-Honavar new line....

So, only media coverage is missing on these projects. It is progressing in its own speed how Indian railways is implementing the projects.

There are doubling and electrification projects too for Karnataka.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #7
xetairex

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer.akash View Post
this thread is uncalled for....never has anything happened or will happen on a massive scale when it comes to railway infrastructure in karnataka.........

mods kindly delete this thread.....
This is exactly the kind of defeatist attitude that gets Karnataka
rail projects the kind of step motherly treatment it has been getting.
Akash, you say you love to travel by bus anyday. Have you thought of how much better your travel time would be, if doubling existed between
north Karnataka and Bangalore?
Also just because YOU do not think any massive rail project will not happen (very optimistic aren't you) does not mean the thread is invalid.

I am trying to bring to notice of others who might think likewise.
Looks like people from other states are more intereted than you!
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

chill boss....
hope you are aware that two union minsters for railways in the past George Fernandes and Jaffer sherriff hailed from karnataka.....what did they do>??

its a normal trend that a union minister hailing from a state would love to see huge projects getting implemented in his home state.

we dont have strong representation in the center or rather I would like to say that we dont have a regional party in our state ...................we cant bargain much ........case is much different with the other states....(best example being our neighbour TN which has benefited lots by bargaining) .......and you are right when it comes to step motherly treatment meted out to karnataka..... and am not against development...

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Arul Murugan

Akash,

I agree Karnataka had a bad railway infrastructure that other 3 states in south. The track density in Karnataka state is very less when compared with TN&Kerala.

But when you say about railway minster Jafer shariff, he did many good things! If i am correct Karnataka was able to achieve 100% broad gauge lines when compared to other states (still TN, AP, Kerala have MG) well before 2006, it is because of the minsters performance and plan for uni-gauge policy.

And even there are half a dozen new line projects. This link will help.

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/Bud.../SW-Assets.pdf

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #10
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

yes arul.......may be he has done his bit.......

but its a bitter fact that we have only 40 kms of electrified track... whats your take on that.......??

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #11
xetairex

Quote:
yes arul.......may be he has done his bit.......

but its a bitter fact that we have only 40 kms of electrified track... whats your take on that.......??
So Akash, you are in agreement with me that state of electrification and doubling is dismal compared to almost any other state in India. However, if people who are the customers stay silent, would the ministers and other leaders pro-actively do something?
I know that IR is a hive of wretched politics and corruption, but with this same IR, other states have managed to get a better share. Think about that for a moment. All things being equal, if people stay silent, it's never going to happen, is it. If there's enough demand and enough protests (as everything in India seems to get noticed only after protests and picket lines) May be, just may be there's a glimmer of hope.
I am not just saying this because of poor rail infrastructure in Karnataka, I love Railways, and it's by far the most efficient and comfortable way to travel on this planet, if the railway is *done right*. (straighter, high speed tracks, electrified lines etc)
Karnataka has always struck me as being a bit strange in this regard, with people either prepared to fly or drive, but never considering the third option. It's probably chicken-and-egg thing: Not enough railway infrastructure, so public apathy about railways increases, and vice-versa.
However, something *could* be done to change this status-quo. That's the hope anyway.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #12
xetairex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post

Akash,

I agree Karnataka had a bad railway infrastructure that other 3 states in south. The track density in Karnataka state is very less when compared with TN&Kerala.

But when you say about railway minster Jafer shariff, he did many good things! If i am correct Karnataka was able to achieve 100% broad gauge lines when compared to other states (still TN, AP, Kerala have MG) well before 2006, it is because of the minsters performance and plan for uni-gauge policy.

And even there are half a dozen new line projects. This link will help.

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/Bud.../SW-Assets.pdf
It was Jaffer Sharief who belatedly reset the dismal record of Karnataka railway infrastructure, but as good as that effort was, it was not nearly enough. Why?
I offer the following hypotheses: People in Karnataka have this attitude: I want a railway line to *my* town however small my town might be. So you end up meeting all kinds of small demands like Talguppa line, connecting Wadi to Gadag etc. The main artery lines which should be doubled and electrified, keep getting negelcted for decades on end. Look at the railway map of India provided by Indian Railway website. The only big region in India without a red (i.e: 'major') railway line is the heart of Karnataka. However, we have all kinds of feeder lines existing and new ones being proposed in this state.
I am not against connecting various parts with single lines, but let's get real: feeder lines serve a small part of the population while speedy connectivity gets worse due to the very presence of these lines! (increased congestion due to more trains serving these small towns).
However, as is typical, very little thought goes into planning for future infrastructure in Railways, it's always politics, politics, and politics.
Very sad state of affairs.
Then you have newspaper reporters who blithely claim 'karanataka has wlays had good rail infrastructure..' and there you have the complete story.

dyamannavar liked this post
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #13
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

any major infrastructure in our state thrives basically on public private partnership....but very little headway is made in the central funded projects....its pretty obvious to note that.......... a congress govt at the centre would wholeheartedly never fund a BJP ruled state.......... such is the state of affairs in our country.....dirty vested politics at all levels.........

its just that we kannadigas have learnt to live with the step motherly treatment meted out to us by the center.....

we have a pathetic sore rail infrastructure but nevertheless we boast of the best luxury trains in the world "the golden chariot"............

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #14
xetairex

Quote:
any major infrastructure in our state thrives basically on public private partnership....but very little headway is made in the central funded projects....its pretty obvious to note that.......... a congress govt at the centre would wholeheartedly never fund a BJP ruled state.......... such is the state of affairs in our country.....dirty vested politics at all levels.........

its just that we kannadigas have learnt to live with the step motherly treatment meted out to us by the center.....

we have a pathetic sore rail infrastructure but nevertheless we boast of the best luxury trains in the world "the golden chariot"............
That's just the way it goes with politics. However, I would term 'learning to live with the way things are' as accepting bad policies and unfair treatment.

We could raise our common voice and also do a bit better planning: Instead of 10 feeder lines, one double line to connect ends of the state, to begin.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #15
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

ur arguments seem very much valid......but how and where to get our voice/opinion registered?? who will take note of it....even if we go out on a march protesting/demanding better rail infra...who the hell will care....??....we will only invite policemen with lathi's

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #16
xetairex

Quote:
ur arguments seem very much valid......but how and where to get our voice/opinion registered?? who will take note of it....even if we go out on a march protesting/demanding better rail infra...who the hell will care....??....we will only invite policemen with lathi's
Hell I can't even go on a march, I am in the US for the past 16 years. I have some ideas though - there could be a website, a plan to collect like minded citizen's signatures on a petition, invite the attention of press... lots of things could be done.
Personally I am doing it out of vested interest - I admit to liking trains, especially electric trains!
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #17
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 17

I have changed the name of thread.

Railways play an important role in the development of a place and of course Karnataka needs to get a better deal.

The major cities of the state are not yet connected well by railways.

Bangalore and Mysore still have only single non electrified railway connection, the cities are only 140 kms apart, whose doubling and electrification works should have completed well before.

The connection of the Capital with the port city Mangalore is also pathetic. Only recently the single track railway line was opened.

The satellite terminal of Bangalore, Yeswantpur is yet to get electric traction.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #18
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 17

Not always my dear friend, bus services like Airavat are ok for say Bangalore-Mysore. But to connect Belgaum, any day a train would be better. Nothing like travelling in a train when you have to spend some 15+ hours of over night journey.

Also the development of railway infrastructre helps in freight traffic as well as lessen the traffic load on roads.

Quote:
any day I will prefer KSRTC services over Indian railways .......
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #19
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

xetairex I appreciate the keen interest you have shown in this regard........many pro Kannada groups have tried their best in resorting to protests and a bit harsher methods to bring to notice the plight of our infrastructure..........but all efforts in vain................things are just not happening for our state in the railway department.......

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #20
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
Not always my dear friend, bus services like Airavat are ok for say Bangalore-Mysore. But to connect Belgaum, any day a train would be better. Nothing like travelling in a train when you have to spend some 15+ hours of over night journey.

Also the development of railway infrastructre helps in freight traffic as well as lessen the traffic load on roads.
sudeesh I hail basically from belgaum.......I know the difficulty in using railway to belgaum from mysore...I would prefer bus services as it would cut down the time and is more comfortable.....upto hubli the railway line is fine...from hubli to belgaum one cant just cut thro...given the londa/khanapur dense forests which the rail has to pass thro.....which increases the distance to belgaum from hubli by about 70 KM....

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK

Tags
karnataka

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: