daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #61
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacherat View Post
We should have something like that every Friday. Just the tonic the country needs, a good old volcano of irateness and indignation.
Gotta blow off some steam every now and then

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #62
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
See... sometimes a death penalty is justified. Here's a few bad pups that need to be euthanized as soon as possible:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...loonboy19.html
And take those kids away from the parents!! The parents videotaped the kids making a homophobic rap video for youtube.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10...y5396820.shtml
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #63
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 70

Does anyone work for Microsoft or a tech company in the Seattle area? What is it like? I want to major in CS and work somewhere in the Seattle area, but I think it'll be too competitive for me to get a good job.
just4ivaylo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #64
PDXPaul

Likes (Received): 0

Everyone I know who majored in CS, which is about 15 kids, easily found employment. I'm under the impression there's a strong job market for that skill in this area. Go for it, the world needs more programmers.
PDXPaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #65
just4ivaylo

Only 15?

I'm looking to apply to UW next year, but I have no idea if I'll get in (it's getting to be more competitive).
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #66
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

I saw the guy with the "free hugs" cardboard sign give a hug today where Pike Street intersects Pike Place. The sign holder was wearing a Utilikilt and they embraced in a big hug - it was amusing.
Seasun está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #67
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Only 15?

I'm looking to apply to UW next year, but I have no idea if I'll get in (it's getting to be more competitive).
I talked to a grad of the CS program at the Huskies/Oregon game this past weekend and he told me that if one doesn't have a 4.0 GPA going into their junior year when they declare this major, forget it.

Hyper-competitive.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #68
just4ivaylo

Are you serious? There's no way I'm getting in then. UW is already one of the top schools.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #69
PDXPaul

You can major in math and the applied mathematics algorithms track(both were open majors when I was there) and program on the side and you'll be fine. You can also go get your masters in CS from a math degree, especially if you've been working as a programmer and had good grades as an undergraduate. Programming isn't being a professional artist or athlete, if you really want to do it the barriers aren't impossible.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #70
just4ivaylo

The worst part is I don't know if it's really for me. When did you guys figure out what you wanted to major in?
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #71
BellevueGuy

Quote:
Does anyone work for Microsoft or a tech company in the Seattle area? What is it like? I want to major in CS and work somewhere in the Seattle area, but I think it'll be too competitive for me to get a good job.
What kind of info are you looking for?
BellevueGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #72
BellevueGuy

Quote:
The worst part is I don't know if it's really for me. When did you guys figure out what you wanted to major in?
You can take a Java or C++ Programming 101 course. If you find it easy or like it, then you can try two courses: Data Structure & Algorithm, a UNIX programming course. If you again find it easy or like it, then you are "one of us" LOL.
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #73
PDXPaul

Quote:
Don't worry about it too much. Since you're thinking about CS, I'd follow bellevueguys advice and take an entry course and just start programming if you haven't already. I came in to UW pre admitted to the industrial engineering department, eyes set on the joint BSIE/MBA program, which only admitted a couple kids a year. Flunked out of math and physics two quarters in a row, and subsequently the department after too much of the good life. I didn't see that coming before it happened!
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #74
just4ivaylo

What'd you guys think of UW? I'm going to have to support myself, and I can get a room for about $400/month. Besides that, Seattle is pretty expensive in terms of food and gas compared to where I live now.

Did you guys take out a lot of loans, and if so (if you wouldn't mind sharing), how long did it take you to pay them back? I love Seattle/the people, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to struggle so much just for a college education in such an environment when I can go to another university (such as UT) and get a comparable education for a bit cheaper.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #75
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

I recently found out I will finally pay off my student loans the year I retire, unless I happen to come into a big wad of money beforehand. Ouch. Would not recommend going that route.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #76
just4ivaylo

Jeez. That long?
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #77
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

I worry that higher education if just another of our institutions headed for a brick wall (housing, the NBA, medicine .. you name it) where the customers are quickly being priced out of the product. I know a couple of younger people with outrageous college loans which seem totally unfair compared with what I had just a generation before.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #78
BellevueGuy

Quote:
What'd you guys think of UW? I'm going to have to support myself, and I can get a room for about $400/month. Besides that, Seattle is pretty expensive in terms of food and gas compared to where I live now.

Did you guys take out a lot of loans, and if so (if you wouldn't mind sharing), how long did it take you to pay them back? I love Seattle/the people, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to struggle so much just for a college education in such an environment when I can go to another university (such as UT) and get a comparable education for a bit cheaper.
Since your profile says Houston I assume UT you are talking about is University of Texas.

I am of the opinion that you should not pay premium for Bachelor degree (only exception is probably schools like Harvard when you want to do Law or Business graduate schools). How much money can you save by going to UT?

UW is a decent school but I won't regret for my life if I don't do Bachelor here. Also which campus of UT are you talking about?
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #79
just4ivaylo

Austin. The others are basically community colleges. Lol.

UT is actually a bit more expensive for in state, but housing/food would be cheaper. I have a grudge against this state, and even thought the university itself is comparable to UW, it just sounds less prestigious.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #80
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
I was always interested in buildings and architecture growing up and I knew a couple of architects that were friends of my parents. The obvious major was architecture and I really enjoyed it. What I found kind of surprising was that in my Junior year (I think) I took the "construction course" in the arch dept and there were some students in the class from Construction Management program from the school of engineering. I didn't really realize there were academic programs for construction and that's when I applied to CM school. So I finished my BA in Arch and then did a year for Masters of Engineering in CM.

My advice: pursue what you're really interested in - something you think you could get up in the morning years later and want to go to work whatever that may be and that passion can change. Software languages will change but see if you can develop critical thinking skills during college (I had one quarter of C programming during my ME year - I was in a class with a lot of overachieving undergrads!). The best thing about architecture studies for me was how architects define a problem and figure out ways to solve it.

The UW is a fine school (I didn't go there but grew up almost next door). I say there are many schools that provide a good education and are in reasonably interesting cities - it's really the student which seeks out professors and great classes that makes the difference for themselves. I think that if I went to a Washington school I would have liked Western Washington in Bellingham. I lived next to it for a year - great smaller town only 1.5 hour drive from Seattle and friends that have gone there really liked the quality of education they got.
Seasun está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote