daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Northeast Roadtrip - Baltimore

Baltimore was the main stop of a road trip that also took me through Philly and DC (via Boston). While the density and scope of the city are both fairly impressive, this city desperately needs a new tallest tower as badly as any city in the US. Still has a decent enough little skyline. Here are a few pics of my stay there.

Part 1: Philadelphia - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=959104
Part 3: Washington DC - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=959108
Part 4: Miscellaneous - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=959114

In no particular order:

Leaving Baltimore in the rear view mirror.

Last edited by DZH22; September 16th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19418

Beautiful shots! Baltimore buildings are so beautiful.

The thread concept is great, showing the most important megalopolis of the world. Thanks for share, DZH22!

P.S. Who is this dog?
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #3
MDguy

I sense a bit of dislike for Baltimore from you?

I like the shot of Calvert btw

MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244402

Beautiful photos and from Baltimore
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Geborgenheit
Libération

Likes (Received): 9538

Awesome. Baltimore
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Baltimore, oh! how I miss you.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #7
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
I sense a bit of dislike for Baltimore from you?
I sense that too.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #8
DZH22

It's not that I don't like the place. The skyline just seems kind of dinky for a major city. For instance, I tend to drive through Hartford whenever I head south, and Hartford's tallest is taller than Baltimore's tallest! Also, I grew up in Boston, basically the land of 500 footers (16 in all, more than Philly and until recently more than Toronto, with 2 more just making the cut over 150 meters) while Baltimore only has 2 buildings eclipsing 500 feet. (Hartford has 3)

I feel like a new tallest would do wonders for this skyline. There is a great amount of density that needs a peak somewhere. For instance, look at the difference The Austonian is doing for Austin's skyline, or the way Comcast raised Philly up a notch, or Vancouver FINALLY getting something to break the sea of not-particularly-tall towers. Baltimore needs something like this. Other examples on a smaller scale would be if say, Wilmington DE or Cambridge MA were to add a couple 400-500 foot buildings, it would make the skylines suddenly "pop" in a way that just doesn't happen whatsoever. As a "major" US city, Baltimore's skyline just doesn't do it for me quite yet either.

Again, the city itself is nice, dense, and quite happening in places. It's just that having the 529 foot tall Legg Mason tower as the city's tallest is, well, pathetic

The dog is my ex roommate's Siberian Husky, Bandit. He's 16, or like 100 in dog years, but still acts like a goofy excitable puppy!
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #9
MDguy

I think Baltimore has a pretty deceiving skyline to the average out-of-towner because they see it from the harbor where it hides many buildings

edit

From this angle (nw), all of the high-rises around charles center can be seen. From the harbor you can see maybe half of them.

Hartford's tallest is less than 2 meters taller than Baltimore's, which does seem odd considering its half the size of Baltimore, yet the city doesn't have the density or amount of high rises Baltimore does. Although Baltimore also has 3 building of 150 meters or higher btw. Pathetic tallest though, yes! I would love for Baltimore's skyline to grow in height. Many great sites for it. Although, there are 4 proposals for the city's tallest

Last edited by MDguy; January 30th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #10
DZH22

^ That's a good shot, but it doesn't make the buildings any taller.

I did see some of the proposals for new tallests. Unfortunately, the economy has delayed new construction in many cities. Boston also has proposals for new tallest buildings, as well as some nice filler from 600-700'. It could be (will be) years before any of these get out of the ground. Are any of the tallest proposals for Baltimore close to fruition?
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #11
MDguy

^ obviously it won't make any buildings appear taller My purpose of the photo was to show how Baltimore's skyline is bigger than its given credit for, not taller

I don't think any of the proposals will come true within the next 5 years to be honest - And Baltimore has this thing where even if something great is proposed, you have to (an unwritten law) chop it in half, and put a flat roof on it. Maybe one day....

Proposals -
http://www.bokapowell.com/swf/index.html (go to portfolio - mix-use/hotel - number 25) - 59 stories
http://www.urbanamerica.com/images/UAII-baltimore.jpg - only slightly taller than legg
http://www.westportwaterfrontsails.c..._2_1__hr8i.jpg - 65 stories
..and the photos of naign towers have mysteriously disappeared from the internet lol - but in the 700-800 ft range

none of the designs are finalized though, so therefore (and even if they were), they're not anywhere near exsistance

Last edited by MDguy; September 18th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.