daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old February 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #201
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Likes (Received): 288

Despite of having good telecomm infrastructure, SA has exorbitantly high Internet rates...

Sponsored Links

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #202
Mintali
Engineer d's art't enjoys

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
Public Data from Juilsha +Kenya ICT Board+IDC from November 22nd 2011:

Volume of international Traffic: 20,209,56 Mb/s

No of computers per 100 inhabitants: 2.4

% households with a personal computer: 6.3%

Total number of internet subscriptions : 4,716,977

Total number of internet users: 10,119,836

Number of ".ke" domain names: 18,000

% organisations with a website: 90%

% of full time workers who use internet at least once a week: 52.14%

source

Kenya still has a lot of of catching up to do, but it should be on par with the NA countries in just a few years.
I agree, we might be doing excellent in Africa but when it comes to the rest of the world, we are dust.
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #203
èđđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantugbro View Post
Despite of having good telecomm infrastructure, SA has exorbitantly high Internet rates...
Why? If anything SA should be among the cheapest on the continent. If that image is true and Kenya having more internet users than modern SA. Unbelievable.

You live in SA right bantugbro? If so, do you pay a high amount?
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #204
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
Why? If anything SA should be among the cheapest on the continent. If that image is true and Kenya having more internet users than modern SA. Unbelievable.

I think it had/has something to do with monopoly by Telkom SA. I could be wrong though.
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #205
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

I live in Morocco and I pay 299dh/month (25euros) (199dh starting from next June) for a 8Mbps ADSL connexion and I have free 3G connexion on my mobile, I can use it as modem on my laptop.
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #206
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post

Yes i do, i pay $ 100 monthly for my ADSL connection alone, check their broadband packages on the link below:

http://www.do.co.za/broadband/offeri...ernet-bundles/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
I think it had/has something to do with monopoly by Telkom SA. I could be wrong though.
You are absolutely right see below:

Quote:
‘Sell assets’ to pay fine of R4,5bn, Telkom told
Telkom has hit back by saying the penalty is a ‘jaw-dropping, inappropriate fine’, and should it be found guilty the appropriate fine should rather be R26,8m.....

Source:
http://www.businessday.co.za/article...aspx?id=165012
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #207
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Yes i do, i pay $ 100 monthly for my ADSL connection alone, check their broadband packages on the link below:

Wow 100 dollars is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #208
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
Wow 100 dollars is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
That the way it is...
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #209
Snassni
Dä kölsche Marokkaner

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:

38€ for 1MBit connection?
Snassni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #210
Lydon
wow

Likes (Received): 1511

Quote:

Who in their right mind uses Telkom as their ISP these days?
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM   #211
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Who in their right mind uses Telkom as their ISP these days?
n00bs
Inertia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM   #212
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
Public Data from Juilsha +Kenya ICT Board+IDC from November 22nd 2011:

Volume of international Traffic: 20,209,56 Mb/s

No of computers per 100 inhabitants: 2.4

% households with a personal computer: 6.3%

Total number of internet subscriptions : 4,716,977

Total number of internet users: 10,119,836

Number of ".ke" domain names: 18,000

% organisations with a website: 90%

% of full time workers who use internet at least once a week: 52.14%

source

Kenya still has a lot of of catching up to do, but it should be on par with the NA countries in just a few years.
Good thing is that east africa is on an upward trend.Were it not for Kenya govt. deciding on sourcing alternative fibre optic cable from U.A.E we East Africans would still be at the mercy of South Africans in terms of high speed internet availability and cost.
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #213
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

Nigeria has set the all time new broadband record for Africa at 45 Million users

This has been confirmed by the latest international research center classifications

Penetration is at 27% (Twice the African Average)
Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Obasi, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #214
Dhuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite View Post
Nigeria has set the all time new broadband record for Africa at 45 Million users

This has been confirmed by the latest international research center classifications

Penetration is at 27% (Twice the African Average)
Good.Source?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #215
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

I didn't mean Broadband I meant Internet
Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Obasi, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #216
tallglassy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 525

Altech, Kenya lead with broadband

Allied Technologies’ (Altech) operations in East Africa are poised to contribute to a third of its parent company’s annual earnings, according to Craig Venter, the chief executive of the JSE-listed Altech.

Venter’s belief in the region remains strong despite receiving a flood of criticism from investors for the unit’s dismal performance during Altech’s 2010/11 financial year. Altech blamed poor management, and the unit’s managing team was replaced with South African information technology (IT) stalwarts.

Venter, speaking at the official launch of Altech Kenya Data Networks (Altech KDN) last week, said: “The key thing for us here is the economies are growing, the political environment is stable and Kenya as an Information and Communications Technology (ICT) environment is advanced.”

He said data download speeds were faster and that a high-definition movie was ready to be viewed within eight minutes in Kenya.

“Kenya has already deployed fibre to the home while in South Africa it has not yet been liberalised,” Venter said.

Connectivity in the region is boosted by the proliferation of undersea cables Eassy and Seacom, including Teams, all of which Altech has bought capacity in.

Altech spent $75 million (R560m) in 2008 when it bought 51 percent of KDN and two other internet service providers in the region, SwiftGlobal and Infocom. It has laid about 3 000km of fibre optic cable and Altech KDN manages more than 6 200km of fibre optic cable in East Africa. At the time it committed $10m in working capital and Sameer Group $20m to develop the data centre investment.

Altech’s confidence in the growth of ICT in East Africa has spurred it to commit a further $20m capital investment over the next three years in Altech KDN, said to be the first dedicated data centre in Kenya.

To date the facility has attracted Kenya’s Equity Bank and Airtel, a major Indian telecoms operator in Africa, as the main clients.

The bomb-proof, flood-proof and earthquake-proof basement in the centre will also be home to some Kenyan government records when that section is built in Altech’s new financial year, beginning in March.

“Altech views east Africa as the growth engine for our company,” Venter said.

Shahab Meshki, the chief executive of Altech KDN, said the data centre allowed only one minute downtime a week or 52 minutes a year. Each level consumes 1 500 kilowatts of electricity an hour, “which is enough power to cover more than 121 households for an entire year”, Meshki said.

In March 2008 Altech bought a 51 percent stake in Kenya Data Networks. “A tier three data centre plays a critical role in Kenya’s financial services sector. A performance adversary of 10 milliseconds can cost tens of millions of shillings a year,” Meshki explained.

Francis Njoroge, a data centre manager, said the facility’s generator capacity could provide up to approximately four days of backup electricity. Njoroge said plans were in place to include solar energy as an alternative power source. The site in Nairobi already hosts several solar panels while the roof is slanted at a 5º angle to accommodate future solar panels.

Construction was supposed to take place in December but has been delayed until the new financial year.

The data centre clients straddle Kenyan borders into neighbouring Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi. Clients bring their servers and routers and Altech hosts the equipment.

Guest speaker at the launch Raila Odinga, joint Prime Minister of Kenya, said the country’s IT sector had already recorded “tremendous growth” over the past decade and it was projected to grow at an average of 20 percent a year.

“(The sector) has created a significant shift in our economy.”

Odinga said the most significant development had been the advent of mobile money, specifically M-Pesa, a Kenyan-derived product by Safaricom, a Vodafone subsidiary which is finding traction in Africa.

He said three out of four adults in Kenya were using M-Pesa, that was primarily created to introduce the unbanked to basic electronic banking services but also used by the banked to transfer money and for payments.

South Africa’s Vodacom, also a Vodafone subsidiary, has successfully grown the product in its Tanzanian market, but M-Pesa has experienced hurdles to gain momentum in South Africa.

Odinga, who encouraged new foreign investment such as that of Altech, said: “There is very little trade within Africa. The only way we can promote this trade is through collaboration on road, railway and telecoms… we should remove bureaucracy, deal with the issue called corruption and keep true to the promise to promote efficiency.”

According to Vitalis Ozianyi, a Kenya-based independent communications and technology analyst, the prospects for 20 percent an annum growth for Kenya’s ICT industry “is influenced by the government’s policy of zero rating most ICT services, which allows duty and VAT free importation of new fully assembled computers and laptops.

Consumers and businesses do not pay VAT for locally developed software and ICT systems”.

The Kenyan government is constructing a Silicon Valley-type centre in Machakos, a town about 64km south-east of Nairobi as part of it’s wider initiative, Vision 2030.

The state has commissioned a youth entrepreneurship programme that considers ICT as a key area for innovation and job creation.

“Konza City would be a business centre similar to Sandton that would provide modern facilities to meet the growing demand from local as well as foreign investors. Investments in state-of-the-art ICT infrastructure and systems will meet current and future communication needs of businesses,” said Ozianyi.

Middle-class suburbs in Kenya are connected by a fast cable broadband link, linked to the internet via optical fibre. Ozianyi said the fibre-link provided for backhaul for cable traffic from each home.

“Cable users can subscribe to television as well as internet services. The latter is most popular, because the 2 000 Kenyan shilling (R177) per month for fast uncapped internet is great value for money,” he said.

“The cable service has seen entrepreneurs converting their homes into SoHos (an enterprise with less than 10 employees) for the ICT SMEs,” Ozianyi said. - Asha Speckman

http://www.iol.co.za/business/compan...band-1.1248926
tallglassy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #217
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

fibre to home is the best.

I don't even have fibre to home...although the plans are underway in Australia to have it nationalised.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #218
Ulker
Halay Turkish

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Les africains de plus en plus connectés

Les connexions sont de plus en plus nombreuses sur le continent africain. Selon une étude du site Internet World Stats, le nombre d’utilisateurs d’Internet en Afrique est passé de 45 millions en 2000 à 139,9 millions en 2011, représentant ainsi aujourd’hui 6,2% des utilisateurs dans le monde. Avec un taux de 13,5%, l’Afrique a, cependant, parmi tous les continents, la plus faible pénétration Internet. A titre de comparaison, le taux de pénétration est actuellement de 36,1% dans le reste du monde, qui totalise 2,1 milliards d’utilisateurs sur les 5,9 milliards d’habitants.
Le Maroc en 3e position

Le Nigéria arrive à la première place quant au nombre d’internautes, avec 45 millions d’utilisateurs, suivi de l’Égypte, avec 21,7 millions d’internautes. Quant au Maroc, il occupe la troisième position avec 15,7 millions d’utilisateurs d’Internet fin 2011. Viennent ensuite le Kenya, avec 10,6 millions, l’Afrique du Sud, avec 6,8 millions d’internautes, et enfin la Tanzanie avec 4,9 millions. Mais le chiffre le plus significatif de cette étude reste le taux de pénétration. Sur ce critère, le Maroc arrive en tête avec un taux de pénétration de 49%. Ce qui signifie que, quasiment, 1 marocain sur 2 est actuellement connecté à Internet. Juste derrière suit la Tunisie, avec 36,3%. Un chiffre peu surprenant pour ce pays où internet a été un des principaux vecteurs de mobilisation lors de la révolution de janvier 2011.

37,7 millions de Facebookers

A l’instar des autres continents, Facebook s’impose en Afrique comme le réseau social par excellence, avec 37,7 millions d’internautes connectés. Selon Google, le terme le plus entré dans le moteur de recherche en 2011 a été Facebook. Les Facebookers égyptiens se taillent la part du lion, avec pas moins de 9,4 millions d’internautes utilisant le réseau social. Suivent ensuite l’Afrique du Sud, avec 4,8 millions, le Nigéria, avec 4,4 millions, puis le Maroc avec 4 millions. L’engouement pour Facebook n’a pas échappé à la sphère politique, et de nombreux chefs d’État africains ont créé leur page
officielle.
http://www.lesoir-echos.com/les-afri...s/monde/45204/
Ulker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #219
dexter159
The conspirator

Likes (Received): 475

49%

half Moroccans got the internet O,o

Free 21 days EvE online trial
--------------------------------------------
It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system,
for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.
Henry Ford

dexter159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #220
Dhuks

if i post in my language you will call it monkey language,why post in a language other than english and fail to translate!!