daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #361
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57958

I completely agree. Warsaw doesn't deserve such simple-minded, narrow solutions. It definitely needs more reconstructions and good renovations.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #362
Leo_C

Likes (Received): 3

Normaly I would scoff at any idea reconstruction but seeing your pictures and hearing your arguments has changed my mind.

If anything I think that contrast with older buildings can make modern architecture look better.
Older buildings are part of what makes a city and the reason I love London. This can only be a good idea as long as long as it stays as reconstruction, I can't imagine any of this looking good in dubai
Leo_C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #363
RM6721
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Totally agree, it's obvious why such cities as Paris, Vienna, Rome, Venice, Budapest etc. etc. are so popular with visitors, it sure isn't because of the post WW2 structures! Totally modern cities are soul-less and totally boring, e.g. Brasilia which is all post 1950's and as boring as hell.
I wouldn't say that. Lots of American cities with primarily modernist downtowns have soul.
RM6721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #364
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Sure, but on the whole the old is aestheticaly better.
+100. Sure, there are some modern buildings I really like but I still find older architecture much more appealing and interesting.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #365
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

Frankfurt a. M. :
Kaufhalle until 1970:

1970 until last year:

right now:

Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #366
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19679

wow!! great!! hopefully Montevideo imitate the example someday...

who is responsible who have rebuilt?

Last edited by el palmesano; November 30th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
el palmesano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #367
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21067

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM6721 View Post
I wouldn't say that. Lots of American cities with primarily modernist downtowns have soul.
People have souls.

Cities have only concrete, steel and stones. They are lifeless entities by definition when talking about its buildings, streets and other infrastructure. Concrete and steel are "soulless", which is why I never understand, for instance, the idea of someone getting emotional because of a building being demolished if they have no direct personal relation to it (like it was the home they lived on childhood or the school they studied etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
+100. Sure, there are some modern buildings I really like but I still find older architecture much more appealing and interesting.
The problem with this mentality is the head-in-the-sand approach that, combined with extremist environmental activism, mean nothing revolutionary new can be built because:

(1) if built in an existing active urban area, it will "kill its character and tradition and harmony"

(2) if built on greenfield, it will damage the environment and produce "sprawl"

(3) if built on brownfield (like a former industrial estate), it will "disrespect the industrial/port/mining heritage" of the place by making no references to it.

So where should people build completely new, modern, glass-steel-and-no-ornaments buildings in futuristic streets? Looks like a catch-22 situation: can't build in downtown because it will "ruin" it, can build elsewhere because it will "divert the centrality" or other b.s.
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #368
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
People have souls.
Well actually there's no evidence of that either, it's just a religious belief. Anyway when people say that a city or a building has a soul they don't mean it literally, as if demolished buildings lived on for eternity up in heaven. Take it as "atmosphere" or "certain vibe" if that makes it clearer.

As for the second part of your comment, it would only be valid if there were indeed a shortage of possibilities and sites to build new buildings. Go to any city around the world and you will see that is not the case. I live in a city that was founded 2,600 years ago and there are new buildings cropping up all over the place, all the time.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #369

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
Berlin, Alte Kommandatur 1795/96, heavily damaged during World War II and destroyed in order to make room for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of East Germany. In 1995, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of East Germany itself was demolished. The Alte Kommandantur has been rebuilt by Bertelsmann to become its Berlin headquarter. The building was completed in November 2003. Critics of this reconstruction see it as an example of the Disneyfication of the center of Berlin.
What do they mean by "disneyfication"?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #370
Xorcist

Disneyfication is a concept of urban planning and architectural sociology. It stands for a new definition of city and society where the revival of old value systems play a central role. The concept of the theme park alone is no longer the beautiful, short-term, exit from the real world, it now promises to improve real world. Disneyfication is a symbol of the realization of the "American Dream" in an artificial way...everything is fine, everybody is happy, every building looks like it´s hundreds of years old...just unreal...fake...in architecture you can say it´s the "new urbanism": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Urbanism
i´m not sure if i like it or not...some rebuilt stuff is just great and you can see for example in the district i live (prenzlauer berg in berlin), that everybody wants to move in a refurbished old building and NOT into new high-end-loft-whatever-stuff...some new buildings even look like they are about 100 years old...for example this one, just in my neighbourhood finished 2 years ago:

Last edited by Xorcist; November 30th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:34 AM   #371
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1035

Beautiful!
Viriatuus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:04 AM   #372
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

That's the new classicism of Berlin!

Some examples that are already built or are going to be build in the city:

Fellini Residences:

Rosengärten:

Kronprinzengärten:

Hausvogteiplatz

Charlottenpalais:

Kronenpalais:

I really dig those projects!
All of course not reconstructions, but newly designed buildings.

Last edited by Tiaren; December 1st, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:43 AM   #373
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

Cool ! this is the new revival, ornaments free.. i like that...
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM   #374
Mr. America
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto

Impressive!
Mr. America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM   #375
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

That looks very very good. I expecially like Hausvogteiplatz and the building in prenzlauer berg that Xorcist refer too. Woow.

When you say 'new classicism of Berlin' is that something you came up with or is that an "official" concept or trend that you can refer too?
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM   #376
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I kind of came up with it. Though I have heard people talk about it in German as "Neuer Berliner Klassizismus". Since reunification it's a strong trend especially in Berlin. In other german cities not so much.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM   #377

Likes (Received): 1439

Ahh sounds like typical architect speak.
They don't want to create classicial buildings, but everybody wants to live in them.

1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:20 AM   #378
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3115

New classicism is a term that has been coined some time ago. There are even books out about the style, and one of its greatest proponents is the award-winning architect Demitri Porphyrios.

Disneyfication and new urbanism do not run parallel, that's degrading the seriousness of new urbanism. New Urbanism aims to re-examine and repair the damage; socially, economically and environmentally, that modernism urban planning has caused. Read the wiki link already provided, as well as this to get a better idea.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #379
Xorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymantle View Post
New classicism is a term that has been coined some time ago. There are even books out about the style, and one of its greatest proponents is the award-winning architect Demitri Porphyrios.

Disneyfication and new urbanism do not run parallel, that's degrading the seriousness of new urbanism. New Urbanism aims to re-examine and repair the damage; socially, economically and environmentally, that modernism urban planning has caused. Read the wiki link already provided, as well as this to get a better idea.
you´re right, but sometimes i think there is a thin line between new urbanism and disney...btw...the following example has nothing to do with it...i really love the reconstruction in Leipzig...it´s one of my favorite cities in germany...most of the reconstruction is on a very high level...

Leipzig 2006:

NOW:

Last edited by Xorcist; December 2nd, 2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:17 AM   #380
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
i´m not sure if i like it or not...some rebuilt stuff is just great and you can see for example in the district i live (prenzlauer berg in berlin), that everybody wants to move in a refurbished old building and NOT into new high-end-loft-whatever-stuff...some new buildings even look like they are about 100 years old...for example this one, just in my neighbourhood finished 2 years ago:
Not sure what you mean with that. But loft buildigns (in the sense of refurbished brickwork industrial buildings) are actually quite popular and in a sense also histroic or neo-historic if built new in the same style.

And "high-end"? All these refurbished old building or reconstructed/ new histroic buildings are also high end with floor heating, luxury baths, oak floor pannels, elevator straight down to underground parking etc.

So in the end the only difference is the facade. What I don't oppose since the combination of modern apartment with ornamental style facade is nice.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson