daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #541
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

very impressive reconstruction going on in Vilnius - didn't know that Vilnius had a Wawel-type ensemble of stunning buildings including a castle like in Krakow - only the one in Krakow was destroyed partially by Austrians. good work vilniusguide

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #542
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Likes (Received): 37

My first post here... very impressed with this thread. I agree with most folks here on the wonderful historic reconstruction taking place in Europe. Born in Germany, and returned for 15 visits between 1979-93, I have to say that so many of the rebuilt buildings in so many European cities were... to put it simpy... butt ugly!!

Love what has happened in Dresden, what is happening in Frankfurt and Mainz, and also the reconstructions in Poland and the Baltic republics. Very beautiful!!

I'm an architectural historian of sorts as a hobby... and here's some of what I would love to see happen....

1) the NW transept of Ely Cathedral in England... rebuilt.
2) now that the foundations of York Minster's central tower has long been secured, I'd like to see some pinnacles added to the tower.
3) Hollyrood House, Scotland... can't a case be made to restore the church?
4) Rheim's Cathedral.... yes the German's bombed the hell out of the stained glass in WWI, and the French have been apoplectic with rage over it ever since... but with b/w image colorization technology... can't they recreate the missing stained glass, or some semblence thereof?
5) Nuremberg Altstadt... such magnificent city walls... the most impressive I've ever seen... and yet the Altstadt could take a page from Dresden. One thing about the marketplace... although Nuremberg had such a beautiful historic district... its' "marktplatz" was never as beautiful as that of other cities... but a case can still be made to add some nice burger architecture to replace the area between the Frauenkirche and Schönenbrunnen. And fill in the missing parts of the city walls on the east side of town.
6) building a "tower" or "crown" over the crossing at Westminster Abbey... a great idea!
7) glad the Potsdamer Stadtschloss is being rebuilt... hope they come up with a better riverside facade for the Berliner Schloss than that abomination that they planned.
8) the Centre Pompidou in Paris.... what the hell were the Parisians thinking?? They should have built that over by La Defense... not in the historic heart.
9) the Tuileries Palace extension of the Louvre... the 19th century Parisians were about as smart as 1950 East Berliners with the Stadtschloss. Would love to see it rebuilt... but the French aren't as meticulous as the Germans.
10) Heidelberg Castle... OK they rebuilt behind the facade of the Fredrichsbau in 1900... why not the Ottheinrichsbau?
11) Why did the French move their Opera to the modern Bastille, when the Garnier Opera is the world's greatest??
12) half of all the modern crap along the Thames in London needs to be dynamited, starting with the National Theatre and that Xerox Machine abomination.
13) Since I'm from metro Detroit... the glorious ruin of the 1913 built Beaux Arts Michigan Central Station (once the worlds tallest train station), which after 30 years of ruin, is now finally being mothballed... is a brooding gigantic and frightening hulk, that reminds me of Cologne Cathedral... an enormous and terrifying structure... that needs to be protected.

Cheers,
Gistok

Gistok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #543
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

fascinating comments Gistok, I agree on many counts.

I would love to see before and after pics posted of Detroit, many around the world don't know what an immensely rich city Detroit once was and what treasures it had. cheers

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #544
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

- edit
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #545
intervention
planning inaction

^ seems like the same or similar redevelopment typology as Dresden
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #546
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Thanks for the images Karasek! While the images were familiar to many of the photos I've seen of the Nürnberger Altstadt prior to that dreadful day of January 2, 1945, I had never seen images of that covered market. I wonder when that was added or removed. The part of the streetwall of the Marktplatz that I thought was lame was those 2 story houses on the northside with a 3rd story attic. It almost looked like something grander may have been there before (fire?)... but what replaced them... that modern looking building with the hip roof really ruins the view (as do a lot of buildings throughout Nürnberg with those large single pane windows).

I was going to add some pictures of some of the restored gems of Detroit (such as the 5,174 seat Fox Theatre, several other theatres, and 2 of the grandest Art Deco buildings in the country)... but I don't seem to have adding attachment capabilities. At the bottom it says "You may NOT post attachments". Is this some kind of Newbie rule? Even going "Advanced", I do not get the "Managing Attachments" click-on box??
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #547
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
12) half of all the modern crap along the Thames in London needs to be dynamited, starting with the National Theatre and that Xerox Machine abomination.
Agreed. Other candidates for reconstruction in London, all demolished after WWII:

presbyterian Congregation.

1 poultry.

International Exhibition Building. This one was demolished shortly after its construction in the late 1800s.

Columbia Market.

The Imperial Institute. Only one of the smaller towers remain.

Euston Arch. This might be reconstructed when Euston Station, also demolished in the 60s, is redeveloped.

Holborn Viaduct.

Gardiner's Corner, Aldgate. Destroyed by fire in 72.

Imperial Hotel.

Carlton Hotel.

Cannon Street Station original roof.

London Bridge.

St Thomas Hospital. Only three buildings still stand.

Mappin and Webb building.

Cheapside.

Thames Street. Now an urban highway.

Farringdon Street.

Victoria Street.

Ludgate Circus.

Last edited by Mr Bricks; May 25th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #548
Dunzdeck
living in the past

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
I was going to add some pictures of some of the restored gems of Detroit (such as the 5,174 seat Fox Theatre, several other theatres, and 2 of the grandest Art Deco buildings in the country)... but I don't seem to have adding attachment capabilities. At the bottom it says "You may NOT post attachments". Is this some kind of Newbie rule? Even going "Advanced", I do not get the "Managing Attachments" click-on box??
That's right, you can't attach pictures to posts, you're supposed to link them using the "Insert Image" button in the toolbar (up above, yellow and grey). In order to be linkable, the images have to be uploaded first, either to your own website or to a photo service such as Photobucket.
You can also link pictures directly from Flickr if the user has allowed it.

Please do, I'd love to see those buildings from Detroit, a city that's sadly been nothing but bad news about decay and demolition lately!
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #549
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

OMG. London was so beautiful..... so much much much more!!!!! It could be even more beautiful if these building's hadn't been torn down and/or given up for reconstruction. How sad.
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #550
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Thanks Dunzdeck, I'll upload them to my Flickr site, and then be able to post them here... for those of you folks unfamiliar with Detroit... prepare to be surprised!!

One reason... while Detroit has been in the doldrums for some time, the need for the real estate that some of its' 1920s treasures sat upon was never needed, therefore there was no urge to "tear down all that old stuff".

Mr. Bricks... thanks for all those wonderful images... the church looks like a mini-York Minster! Is "One Poultry" that cluster of Victorian buildings near the Bank of England building that Prince Charles was complaining so loudly about? It was a travesty to lose that block to the modernist abomination that replaced it.

I have Prince Charles book.... Pride of Place if I recall (it's around here somewhere). While I don't care too much for him personally, he's spot on in his architectural views.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #551
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Hmmmm.... I'm getting this message trying to upload a Flickr image (that I posted for anyone to view)... and I'm getting....

"Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

It gives me the same message when I even post a link to my Flickr page... that's odd... it will only let me post my Flickr main page...
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #552
Fast Bowler

Likes (Received): 4

Boston, Lincolnshire, England.

Pescod Hall was built around 1450, the home of a wealthy merchant family. In the 1760s the building was heavily altered and used as a warehouse for grain storage. By the early 19th century the building bore little resemblance to its original form and by the late 19th century the building had become derelict and was in a state of disrepair (sections of the building had fallen away). In 1972 the building was rebuilt to its original form using original brick where possible. In 2003 the building was lifted and transported to a location 70 feet (21 meters) away. Since the building was relocated it has been used as a clothing shop and fast food restaurant.

The 'lifting' of the building (2003):

The building as it is today:

Fast Bowler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #553
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Mr. Bricks... thanks for all those wonderful images... the church looks like a mini-York Minster! Is "One Poultry" that cluster of Victorian buildings near the Bank of England building that Prince Charles was complaining so loudly about? It was a travesty to lose that block to the modernist abomination that replaced it.
Yes the Mappin and Webb building at 1 Poultry was part of the cluster of Victorian buildings around Bank. It was pulled as late as 1994! There is now a pomo building on the site, and although quite unoffensive it certainly sticks out as a sore thumb in the area. It has ruined the Victorian unity of the area.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #554
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Yes the Mappin and Webb building at 1 Poultry was part of the cluster of Victorian buildings around Bank. It was pulled as late as 1994! There is now a pomo building on the site, and although quite unoffensive it certainly sticks out as a sore thumb in the area. It has ruined the Victorian unity of the area.
Yes, that's it... the one with the "submarine conning tower" as critics like to call it. Prince Charles was very critical of it in his book about it... and for good reason. I just read the bio of developer Peter Palumbo. Can't believe someone that involved in the world of architecture would create such "a sore thumb" in a Victorian part of London. Even though he has been give lifetime peerage by Margaret Thatcher... I bet he won't be getting any royal invites...

Oppss... just read the he and Prince Charles already had a falling out a decade earlier than the demise of Mappin & Webb, even though they were once Polo buddies...
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #555
peter871

Likes (Received): 8

Cannon Street Station was majestic!
peter871 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #556
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

Frankfurt/Germany planned reconstruction of the Dom-Römer-Area:

all pictures and a nice video can be found at the official DomRömer Homepage (unfortunately only in german)

entazis, Highcliff liked this post
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #557
aitante68

Likes (Received): 15

I really really hope to see someday this beauty again!!!
aitante68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #558
aitante68

Likes (Received): 15

Do you know when is planned to finish these works?
aitante68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #559
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

well first reconstruction will start in autumn 2012 with the "Hof zum Rebstock" building (the building in the middle):

right now you can just see the construction of the underground parking:

Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #560
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

HUUUUURRRRAAAAY for Frankfurt. It deserves some of its beauty back.

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson