daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #941
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I didn't say it would happen. I'd just like to see it happen.

Also, the urban "renewal" efforts are seen as an ideological shift now seen as negative. For example, the demolition of that courthouse was amid major protest and fighting between the city (which sought to abandon the past for a "better" future free of "victorian relics") and what would become the historical preservation committee.

Also, your description of the US is broad and simplified. It varies dramatically from one place to another.

Regardless, I don't want to get off topic.
It is definitely broad, but it captures the essence of my argument: outside of major metropolitan centres the economic outlook is not great and therefore the appetite for public investment in the reconstruction of demolished buildings is nearly non-existent.

I can't think of any reconstruction efforts outside of major historical cities or historical sites.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #942
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
It is definitely broad, but it captures the essence of my argument: outside of major metropolitan centres the economic outlook is not great and therefore the appetite for public investment in the reconstruction of demolished buildings is nearly non-existent.

I can't think of any reconstruction efforts outside of major historical cities or historical sites.
That's often the case anywhere.

That courthouse is in a major historical city where there is money and civic pride.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #943
negolb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 491

Vásárhelyi-Bréda maison
built: 1806
ruined: ~1970
reconstruction: 2011-12

photos: építészfórum.hu
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #944
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post

this is even challenging in Europe where the Union's Jessica program provides subsidies only for restoration projects within urban areas, probably because of the multiplier effect it can generate and therefore better economic returns.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #945
intervention
planning inaction

But it's even more challenging in American rust-belt cities which are cash strapped and where public investment in civic buildings has been low, at least since the decline of the "city beautiful" movement and in the post-war era. The same can be said for Toronto; there is no way anyone is rebuilding historical structures. In this market, it's difficult enough to incorporate such structures into new development where they exist.
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #946
Urbanista1
Here and Now

agreed and in Toronto many historic buildings in the path of development seem to accidentally catch fire despite being downtown and near fire stations.

erbse liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:51 AM   #947
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nice reconstruction in Hungary! It would be great if we saw more renovations in that beautiful country.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #948
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57958

This thread is for reconstructions though, so a major portion or segment of the building would need to have vanished and then rebuilt, to qualify for the thread. Very nice renovation, nonetheless.

Do we have a thread for reconstructions in the United States/North America, btw?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #949
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
agreed and in Toronto many historic buildings in the path of development seem to accidentally catch fire despite being downtown and near fire stations.
Yes. Or, miraculously get struck by lightning

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #950
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57958

Frankfurt, Germany | Haus zur Goldenen Waage | Highlight of the Dom-Römer Project

This will be the artistical peak of human creation in the rebuilt Dom-Römer area in Frankfurt:

Haus zur Goldenen Waage (aka Goldene Waage, "Golden Weigh House") | Markt 5

Main SSC thread for the old town reconstruction (+ Frankfurt forum thread.)

With a medieval core and an ornate unique renaissance facade of 1619, built by the Dutch patrician Abraham van Hamel. The city even wanted to forbid the construction initially, as the facade was perceived too pompous compared to the surroundings. Destroyed by Allied bombing raids in early 1944, that wiped out most of Frankfurt's unique old town core. The lush timbered house will be largely reconstructed by 2016.

Baunetz
High resolution

Source: DomRömer GmbH: Markt 5

For context: Street "Markt", the Goldene Waage to the left ("M"=Markt)

http://www.domroemer.de/strassenzuege

Around 1900:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...dene_Waage.jpg

http://static.coret.org/img/go/4067/frankfurt%201.jpg

It'll be gorgeous. Renaissance staircase in the making:

Source: http://www.journal-frankfurt.de/jour...ein-24097.html

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #951
Fudgis

Likes (Received): 134

This is a brilliant thread, so uplifting to see how many historical architectural injustices can be and are being undone, with amazing landmarks brought back from the dead, when others had consigned them to oblivion.

Let us hope the successes of these reconstructed gems will serve as a template and inspiration to others, and diminish the ever present (and somewhat patronising) arguments about 'fake buildings' and 'not having the same craftsmanship skills anymore', when it is clearly not the case. With luck others will be compelled to undertake yet more such projects to bring back lost heritage (which would have been unthinkable up to only a couple of decades ago) I do hope we can look forward to more :-)

erbse, Pod°, Urbanista1 liked this post
Fudgis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #952
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Excellent project in Frankfurt! It really makes it seem that even if a building is destroyed it might not be lost forever.

erbse liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #953
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

On the topic of rebuilding lost historic structures in the U.S. versus Europe, particularly Germany, the difference is that the Germans were robbed of their landmarks though war and by the communists afterwards. The loss is still felt. In the U.S. (and England too from what I read) we chose to destroy our own historical structures because we failed to see the value in them so the sense of loss is different. A special and unbelievable loss is Louis Sullivan's Chicago Stock Exchange Building as recently as the early 1970s. Chicago now capitalizes on it's famous architects to tourists. What a loss that was!

erbse, cameronpaul liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #954
Urbanista1
Here and Now

that was a shame:

His Buffalo masterpiece still stands with all its terracotta glory:

The loss of his Garrick/Schiller Theatre and the Garrick building where it was housed was probably the greatest loss of a Sullivan masterpiece. The Garrick theatre was reputed to0 have had near perfect acoustics and was the stunning result of his collaboration with Adler:

these terracotta portraits is all that has been salvaged from the Garrick and can be seen today on the Second City building:

White Light, erbse, NUMERATZI, PapaleuPaes liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 25th, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #955
robertwood

Urbanista1, thanks for posting the Sullivan buildings that were lost in Chicago. All that still exists of the stock exchange building is the arched terra cotta front entrance seen in your photo. It now stands alone outside of art museum. To look at it, as all that is left of a great building by a great architect makes you shake your head: What were they thinking!? How could they not see the value!? The Garrick Theatre as your photos show also was a great loss.

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #956
robertwood

As an aside, in Winter Park Florida near Orlando we have the Morris Museum which has the largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany glass in the world. In the museum there is one single intricately stone carved fragment from a Louis Sullivan building on display. That one stone block is now considered a treasure.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #957
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
On the topic of rebuilding lost historic structures in the U.S. versus Europe, particularly Germany, the difference is that the Germans were robbed of their landmarks though war and by the communists afterwards. The loss is still felt. In the U.S. (and England too from what I read) we chose to destroy our own historical structures because we failed to see the value in them so the sense of loss is different. A special and unbelievable loss is Louis Sullivan's Chicago Stock Exchange Building as recently as the early 1970s. Chicago now capitalizes on it's famous architects to tourists. What a loss that was!
You read correctly re England and the entire U.K. where cities were wrecked in the 50's 60's and 70's due to a total lack appreciation for the best of the past. Unlike Germany which lost much of it's heritage through war, the U.K. lost many outstanding buildings through sheer ignorance and an obsession that anything new must be superior - we all know what a farce that was. Perhaps it would not have been so bad if structures of high quality were built but it was just the opposite - sheer junk some of which (but not enough) are now being torn down. Historical reconstructions are still considered a no no but the Germans are much more enlightened and as a result their cities are outshining those of the U.K. (apart from London) by a large margin.

Fudgis liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #958
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Intourist hotel opened in Baku. The new hotel is located on the coastal area only 300 m away from the demolished historical Intourist hotel:

Designed by architect Alexey Shusev the historical Intourist hotel was opened in Baku in 1934 and became one of the most successfull hotels of the city during the Soviet era:

After the collapse of the Soviet Union the hotel was in bad conditions and finally destroyed in 2006 with ISR Residence built instead:

erbse, White Light, Seoul_Korea liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #959
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

Old hotel was quite interesting building, i like it...

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #960
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5847

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
You read correctly re England and the entire U.K. where cities were wrecked in the 50's 60's and 70's due to a total lack appreciation for the best of the past. Unlike Germany which lost much of it's heritage through war, the U.K. lost many outstanding buildings through sheer ignorance and an obsession that anything new must be superior - we all know what a farce that was. Perhaps it would not have been so bad if structures of high quality were built but it was just the opposite - sheer junk some of which (but not enough) are now being torn down. Historical reconstructions are still considered a no no but the Germans are much more enlightened and as a result their cities are outshining those of the U.K. (apart from London) by a large margin.
You need to travel more
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson