daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:11 PM   #1061
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57958

This might be of great help for everyone:

Outline of architecture

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #1062
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian heritage View Post
Restoration of the the main tower of the fortress from the 13th century.

Finally will look like this (look based on archeological findings)
If I read it correctly, this place has been a ruin since 1544. While in general I support rebuilding, I think there is a limit to how far back you should go in reconstructing. For me, this building is far over that limit. It has been a ruin for more than twice its 'life' and it wasn't destroyed in a single day, or night, as with most buildings lost in WWII. Its ruination itself was a gradual, almost natural proces that lasted centuries, which made it part of history. Paradoxically, that history is now being destroyed.

Also, while I am sure the rebuilding will be done 'based on archeological findings' and those archeologists will do their very best, I very much doubt that archeology alone can provide a complete picture of what a building that has been a ruin for over four and a half centuries actually looked like.

I am very sorry, but I cannot 'love' this reconstruction.
Old December 30th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1063
erbse
LIBERTINED

Hmm, I tend to agree here. But not because I object the reconstruction of long gone castles, which has been done throughout the centuries until the early 20th century and should be continued, but because the former ruin looked more interesting, romantic and pleasant than what we got now. The roof is still missing, but anyway. Bring at least those lovely climbing plants back!

Old December 30th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #1064
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

I have mixed opinions about reconstruction of medieval castles. If they are reconstructing it just for the sake of reconstruction, then no. But, in this case, they are reconstructing it because it was in a bad condition and a threat for many tourists that visit it every year. Anyway, it's just a reconstruction of central tower, the rest will probably remain a ruin because the conservators haven't mentioned any further reconstruction in articles I've read about the castle and its reconstruction, and the tower will be used for presentation of the castle's history. So, no biggie about this one.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #1065
erbse
LIBERTINED

Of many once imposing castles, there are only tiny fragments or ruins left.

I'd love to see some of them restored to former glory, as close to the original as possible.
Let them multi-millionaires and billionaires do it, I wouldn't object them reconstructing a castle for use as private residences, luxury hotel or whatever.

Germany is full of castle ruins, most of them with only some rather uninteresting dead walls left, they would profit immensely from original or historicising reconstructions like they were done throughout the 19th century (e.g. at the Wartburg, Stolzenfels, Burg Hohenzollern, Schloss Lichtenstein; heck even Neuschwanstein is an example for this, albeit the most famous one). Lists:

List of castles in Germany

Pod° liked this post
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #1066
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

For me it's much more controversial to reconstruct a medieval castle than palace or any other building destroyed, for instance, in WW2. They were usually destroyed centuries ago so one can't possibly know that archeological findings show us completely true, original look of the castle. It's different with baroque or historicist palaces, there are photos from which it can be reconstructed, also there are original plans and other old documents, although I don't know how they reconstruct the original interiors, it sounds unbelievable to me that the people in the past have managed to photograph every single bit of the castle, maybe there are also original plans for that, too.

Jasper90, Roman_P, artObserver liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #1067
erbse
LIBERTINED

There are original plans of medieval castles too, that nowadays are left as ruins.
I think they'd prove to be a solid base for reconstructions, along with views of e.g. Merian.

Old December 30th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #1068
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Well, there is also one important factor - location. Croatia, for instance, has a gigantic number of huge medieval castles, mostly ruins, that are located practically in the middle of nowhere, without anything interesting excluding the ruins of the castle. Private investors want to make profit, so they have to find a way to entertain their guests, and without a HUGE help of local authority, they just can't do it. That is possibly a job too hard to do. Tourism is turning into a real arena, and the weak ones just can't last long. Also, today rich people are more interested in buying private properties in city centres or such places, although there are maybe those that want to find a peaceful and relaxing place. IMO, the government is the one that has to decide what to do with these structures, some of them should be rebuilt by the country itself to serve as tourist destinations (those that for sure will make profit), others privatised, and some should stay ruins (imagine if someone suggests the reconstruction of Heidelberg Castle ).

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; December 30th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 02:28 AM   #1069
erbse
LIBERTINED

I was about to bring up examples like famed Heidelberg Castle, that of course should stay the romantic ruins they are now; but nothing else will happen there anyway huh.

Titan Man liked this post
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:00 PM   #1070
Croatian heritage

Likes (Received): 1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertog View Post
If I read it correctly, this place has been a ruin since 1544. While in general I support rebuilding, I think there is a limit to how far back you should go in reconstructing. For me, this building is far over that limit. It has been a ruin for more than twice its 'life' and it wasn't destroyed in a single day, or night, as with most buildings lost in WWII. Its ruination itself was a gradual, almost natural proces that lasted centuries, which made it part of history. Paradoxically, that history is now being destroyed.

Also, while I am sure the rebuilding will be done 'based on archeological findings' and those archeologists will do their very best, I very much doubt that archeology alone can provide a complete picture of what a building that has been a ruin for over four and a half centuries actually looked like.

I am very sorry, but I cannot 'love' this reconstruction.

Partially I agree, but this site is specific.
The fort was destroyed in the attack of the Turkish army and since then has not been inhabited.
The tower itself was burned and collapsed into self , and the archaeologist found a lot of material that allow the reconstruction of the tower and even a basic reconstruction of the interior.
Croatian heritage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:10 PM   #1071
Croatian heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
There are original plans of medieval castles too, that nowadays are left as ruins.
I think they'd prove to be a solid base for reconstructions, along with views of e.g. Merian.
Croatia is specific. We do not have a lot of medieval castles (such as Germany or Ireland, etc.) we have a lot of medieval fortresses, which is a big difference.
Secondly, we do not have large archives such as Germany, Austria, etc, because we have long been part of the AU monarchy and a large part of historical material is in Vienna and Budapest and the quality of that material is often questionable.

I do not think anything bad just want to say that the reconstruction in Germany, for example, is much easier and more reliable than those in Croatia, simply because of the greater availability of high-quality historical material (documents, sketches, plans ...)

Croatianheritage2

erbse, cilindr0, Rocky031 liked this post
Old January 1st, 2016, 09:48 PM   #1072
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Tirana (Albania):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjergjkastrioti View Post
Old project of Holy Heart catholic church , to be completed with the tower soon .

The actual state

WB2010, lastsamurai, Brko, erbse, tallbacka and 1 others liked this post
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:46 PM   #1073
Croatian heritage

It is interesting, a small project and contains so much historical styles.

The project is neo-style but reflections of Venetian Gothic, Romanesque, reflections of Arab architecture, reflections of the English Gothic, Byzantine dome on a part wich connectts the tower with the church ...

Croatianheritage2

Jasper90 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #1074
erbse
LIBERTINED

Uhm, ja. But where's the connection to this specific thread exactly?

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #1075
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Uhm, ja. But where's the connection to this specific thread exactly?
The tower is going to be reconstructed, according to the post title.
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #1076
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

It says it will be completed, not reconstructed. Seriously, why is it so hard to understand the difference between reconstruction and renovation/completion, there are far too many projects here that don't have any connection with this thread.

Chadoh25 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1077
erbse
LIBERTINED

It's very interesting nonetheless, to see another completion using old plans.
Do we even have a thread for those? I'm not sure there will be many such projects, but perhaps such a thread could help promote the idea, just like our "New Buildings built in Traditional Architecture Styles" one...

Old January 6th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #1078
Tímea89

Likes (Received): 7520

Partial reconstruction of Regéc Castle (where Prince Francis II Rákóczi spent his childhood).

The castle stands on top of the 625 m high hill, which is situated between two villages Mogyoróska and Regéc.

It was demolished by the Austrians in 1685, after the kuruc (anti-Habsburg) rebels of Stephen Thököly gave it up.

It's a small, but important step. Lets hope there's more to come. "Big things have small beginnings."

Before:

After:

In the 16th century:

"If only you were here for a moment to see with me the dead silver of the Danube, the dark mountains against the pale- red background and the lights of Pest glittering up to me; Vienna would go down in your appreciation compared with Buda-Pest" (Otto von Bismarck)

Last edited by Tímea89; January 6th, 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Tímea89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #1079
intervention
planning inaction

There are so many of these across Central Europe and sometimes I find the ruins so much more romantic than clean reconstructions.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #1080
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

More great photos of this castle here
(Regéc castle)

I am really hoping for a full reconstruction. Ruin is nothing. You almost cannot visit this, its really too much ruined to have any meaning. When its reconstructed, it is part of community, part of events, part of active life of the country. I am totally for reconstructions. I am sick of ruins. We need real deal, full view, not just mentions and history, that will be lost in time.

Believe in architecture..........

Tímea89, erbse, cilindr0, Rocky031, Ultra84 liked this post

Last edited by White Light; January 6th, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson