daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #1201
hlln

Likes (Received): 1336

Budapest: Reconstuction of the former Riding Hall (Lovarda) and the Royal Guards Palace (Testőrségi Palota) has begun.

Riding Hall

Royal Guards Palace

Last edited by hlln; May 4th, 2017 at 05:30 AM.
hlln no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #1202
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

Its not in Europe, but its great. Reconstruction of Philadelphia Museum of Art by Frank Gehry

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #1203
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light View Post
Its not in Europe, but its great. Reconstruction of Philadelphia Museum of Art by Frank Gehry
Wtf is this even doing here.

It's not in Europe, isn't a historical reconstruction, and it's just renovation of an existing structure.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Roman_P, catcha, Ultra84, Tolbert, HURZ and 2 others liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:32 AM   #1204
elbong

Likes (Received): 2647

Diósgyőr, the Hungarian Queen's castle few years ago:

Now:

And the final reconstruction very soon:
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:53 PM   #1205
Dichtefan

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbong View Post
Diósgyőr, the Hungarian Queen's castle few years ago:

Now:

And the final reconstruction very soon:

Absolutely gorgeous

qjone2 liked this post
Dichtefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 02:05 PM   #1206
elbong

Likes (Received): 2647

There was a debate about the tower's original shape and the simplyfied version won based on the latest plan. This was the other version:

qjone2, robertwood liked this post
elbong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1207
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Hi all,

Can anyone make a presentation of the reconstruction of Münster, please? I know we have some very knowledgeable German members heere. Or maybe such a presentation already exists somewhere?

I'm asking because I was browsing pics of Münster on Flickr and I thought that the buildings that were seemingly reconstructed look really good. Actually, the first time I looked I wasn't very attentive and I actually thought it's a preserved medieval city, only to learn from Wikipedia it had been indeed destroyed.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Notgnirracen liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #1208
Dichtefan

Likes (Received): 68

Historical Reconstructions that we love! (in Europe)

Zunfhaus zur Zimmerleuten | Zurich

Destroyed by a fire in 2007

Reconstruction finished in 2010

After a fire in November 2007 the building that dates back to the 12th century was almost completely destroyed. A faulty cable lead to the fire that killed one fire fighter and insured seven more. Also the archive of the guild society, traditional costumes and historical documents were all destroyed. The reconstruction work took three years to complete.

Fire:

Reconstruction:

Source:
http://www.20min.ch/diashow/diashow.tmpl?showid=15176
http://zunfthaus-zimmerleuten.ch

Last edited by Dichtefan; September 10th, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
Dichtefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1209
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love

Likes (Received): 892

Thank god they decided to reconstruct it in an authentic way. Can you imagine that building being replaced by some boring concrete box?
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1210
Ultra84

Likes (Received): 5956

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlln View Post
Budapest: Reconstuction of the former Riding Hall (Lovarda) and the Royal Guards Palace (Testőrségi Palota) has begun.

Riding Hall

Royal Guards Palace

Current situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottore75 View Post
Egy kedves ismerősöm fotói:

Lovarda keleti fala téglaburkolatos, előistálló emeletét falazzák, a keleti tetőn az első réz díszek elhelyezve, garázsból fejláró vasszerelve, betonozás alatt. Főőrségi lábazata készül, Stöckl összedolgozva a főőrségivel

Old October 7th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #1211
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Great to see the reconstruction but I have to say the white windows on the palace look terrible. They look like cheap vinyl. I can't imagine what they were thinking when someone authorized those windows for a historic palace! One would think that if they decided to replace historic windows they would at least look put in something that looked like what was there and not something from Home Depot. I sure hope they don't put such windows on the reconstruction.

qjone2, keepthepast liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #1212
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
Great to see the reconstruction but I have to say the white windows on the palace look terrible. They look like cheap vinyl. I can't imagine what they were thinking when someone authorized those windows for a historic palace! One would think that if they decided to replace historic windows they would at least look put in something that looked like what was there and not something from Home Depot. I sure hope they don't put such windows on the reconstruction.
The palace was gutted by the communist authorities in the 1950/60s because of its symbolic power, so the windows probably have something to do with that. It hosts the Hungarian National Gallery these days. It's really good if you're ever in Budapest, but abound with whitewashed walls.

robertwood liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #1213
Ultra84

Likes (Received): 5956

Those ugly white windows will be replaced with authentic pre-war looking ones with the reconstruction of the Royal Palace.

Anyway:

Riding Hall updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehtube View Post

Royal Guards Palace updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottore75 View Post
Fantasztikus élőben érzékelni a főőrség kialakuló tömegét.És végre van fala a térnek.

Pirossal az új nyomvonal,kék a régi

regular updates here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...04310&page=677
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #1214
qjone2

Planned reconstruction of old Austro-Hungarian hotel in central Sarajevo, near the cathedral. Shelled in the 1990s during the siege of Sarajevo, it was deemed too extensively damaged to be restored, and its remains were demolished.
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:29 AM   #1215
wakka12

Likes (Received): 314

Are there any countries in europe where reconstructions are relatively common?Where it would be no suprise if an old building was being reconstructed? Sadly in my country its so uncommon that I actually researched online whether it was illegal to build 'pastiche' style architecture under my countrys planning authorities. The only time historical buildings were reconstructed were because of fire,war or illegal demolition
wakka12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #1216
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Are there any countries in europe where reconstructions are relatively common?Where it would be no suprise if an old building was being reconstructed? Sadly in my country its so uncommon that I actually researched online whether it was illegal to build 'pastiche' style architecture under my countrys planning authorities. The only time historical buildings were reconstructed were because of fire,war or illegal demolition
I actually see it a lot in Central Europe and the Balkans. I saw 4-5 planned reconstructions in Budapest when I was there a few weeks ago, and I've come across at least 7-8 in Bosnia, especially in Mostar and Sarajevo. Some of these are extensive rehabilitations (i.e. in cases where 75% of a building is missing and the other quarter is a gutted shell), while others are complete reconstructions. That doesn't include buildings that have already been reconstructed in the last few years. One case in Sarajevo included an old Ottaman bath that was being reconstructed after its ruins were retained from WWII.

I've also heard offhand from friends that they've seen billboards advertising reconstructions in Prague, Moscow, St Petersburg etc.

While Germany has been getting a lot of attention recently, I think the real heart of historical reconstructions in Europe lies further to the east. In particular, people tend to focus on the destruction wrought by WWII (and attempts to remedy this), while ignoring the extensive efforts to rebuild historical settings destroyed in more recent conflicts (e.g. The Yugoslav Wars). Sarajevo in particular has reconstructed and rehabilitated large swaths of its old centre, despite extensive damage during the Siege and subsequent economic troubles.

Titan Man, wakka12 liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #1217
tanosmile

Likes (Received): 688

Bosnia is getting massive investments from Saudi Arabia in order to preserve the only european country with majority of muslim population (excluding Turkey)
tanosmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1218
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
I actually see it a lot in Central Europe and the Balkans. I saw 4-5 planned reconstructions in Budapest when I was there a few weeks ago, and I've come across at least 7-8 in Bosnia, especially in Mostar and Sarajevo. Some of these are extensive rehabilitations (i.e. in cases where 75% of a building is missing and the other quarter is a gutted shell), while others are complete reconstructions. That doesn't include buildings that have already been reconstructed in the last few years. One case in Sarajevo included an old Ottaman bath that was being reconstructed after its ruins were retained from WWII.

I've also heard offhand from friends that they've seen billboards advertising reconstructions in Prague, Moscow, St Petersburg etc.

While Germany has been getting a lot of attention recently, I think the real heart of historical reconstructions in Europe lies further to the east. In particular, people tend to focus on the destruction wrought by WWII (and attempts to remedy this), while ignoring the extensive efforts to rebuild historical settings destroyed in more recent conflicts (e.g. The Yugoslav Wars). Sarajevo in particular has reconstructed and rehabilitated large swaths of its old centre, despite extensive damage during the Siege and subsequent economic troubles.
What are you talking about? No other country in Europe even comes close to so many current, big reconstruction projects like Germany.

Berlin's City Palace:

Berlin's Schinkelplatz and Bauakademie:

Berlin's Parochial Church bell towe:

Berlin's Biesdorf Palace, entire upper floor and roofs:

Dresden's old city:

Dresden's Castle interior and courts:

Dresden's Orangerie:

Dresden's Narrenhäusel:

Potsdam's Palace:

Potsdam's Alter Markt:

Potsdam's Garrison Church:

Potsdam's Kellertorwache

Potsdam's city channel:

Frankfurt's Old Town:

Frankfurt's city hall roof and towers:

Heiligendamm's villas:

Braunschweig's Palace:

Herrenhausen Palace:

Wesel's city hall:

Nuremberg's Pellerhaus:

And many, many smaller projects all over the country more.

Last edited by Tiaren; October 31st, 2017 at 08:26 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #1219
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

I think that you can't really compare the two parts of Europe when it comes to reconstruction. Germany is much wealthier than the eastern parts of Europe (particularly Balkans) when it comes to cultural legacy, there is not a single building in the whole Balkan region that can be compared to the size and opulence of the Berliner Stadtschloss, so that maybe makes it more exceptional. I think that the Balkans win when it comes to quantity or percentage of historical buildings that were destroyed and later reconstructed, but we didn't have much to begin with, our countries were always the least developed part of Europe, most of the historical towns were rather small, with short buildings, a couple of churches and that's about it, while German cities were quite large even before the WW2, with huge royal palaces, cathedrals, city halls etc. You just have to look at Mannheim, a city of 300 000 people is home to Europe's second largest Baroque palace.
Also, a big difference is that reconstruction is not really controversial here, it just happens and people generally like it, while in Germany it's a highly controversial task with many opposing groups.

Tiaren, I would also like to point out that those projects that you showed, while great, are not really unique just to Germany. I mean, I've seen historical bell towers or churches reconstructed in other places, and the Russians have done a faboulous job with their royal palaces.

To conclude, you really can't compare reconstruction processes in countries like Germany and Bosnia or Croatia, due to historical and political factors.

wakka12, Soheilkb liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #1220
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

A poster asked in which countries reconstructions are common right now and another poster answered Eastern Europe and the Balkans, while dismissing Germany for some reason, which you do too.
It was a simple question and the simple answer would be a couple of European countries with Germany at the front in sheer quantity.
It doesn't matter how much more wealthier Germany is and how much bigger its cultural legacy is. The simple fact is that Germany has the most and largest scale reconstructions right now.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson