daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2017, 12:18 AM   #1221
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
A poster asked in which countries reconstructions are common right now and another poster answered Eastern Europe and the Balkans, while dismissing Germany for some reason, which you do too.
It was a simple question and the simple answer would be a couple of European countries with Germany at the front in sheer quantity.
It doesn't matter how much more wealthier Germany is and how much bigger its cultural legacy is. The simple fact is that Germany has the most and largest scale reconstructions right now.
Where have I dismissed Germany? I've been on this forum for almost 3 years and you know how passionate I am about all those amazing projects happening in Germany, but as I said, you can't really say which country leads as they focus on different fields. And also, you can't say that reconstructions are common in Germany when they've literally been happening in only 5 big cities, which shows it's still a tabu topic in the country. I mean, Berliner Stadtschloss barely survived attacks from many groups opposing its reconstruction. Germany is also reconstructing showier pieces of architecture, while a 19th century building would never be reconstructed there, unlike in some parts of Eastern Europe where it's quite common.
All that doesn't mean that I think your country is in any way inferior to others, it's just that different countries have different priorities due to different circumstances, which is fine and quite interesting, as we get diverse stuff from around the continent. No need to get offended or anything like that, it's just that people may have different criterias when it comes to controversial topics like these.

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:30 AM   #1222
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

^ he meant gjone2 not you

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:17 PM   #1223
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
^ he meant gjone2 not you
Yes, in the first post, but the second post was an answer to my post.
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:13 PM   #1224
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Where have I dismissed Germany? I've been on this forum for almost 3 years and you know how passionate I am about all those amazing projects happening in Germany, but as I said, you can't really say which country leads as they focus on different fields. And also, you can't say that reconstructions are common in Germany when they've literally been happening in only 5 big cities, which shows it's still a tabu topic in the country. I mean, Berliner Stadtschloss barely survived attacks from many groups opposing its reconstruction. Germany is also reconstructing showier pieces of architecture, while a 19th century building would never be reconstructed there, unlike in some parts of Eastern Europe where it's quite common.
All that doesn't mean that I think your country is in any way inferior to others, it's just that different countries have different priorities due to different circumstances, which is fine and quite interesting, as we get diverse stuff from around the continent. No need to get offended or anything like that, it's just that people may have different criterias when it comes to controversial topics like these.
You seem a bit upset by my post. I didn't mean it like that at all. I know you are a cool guy.
I was just stating the (I guess we can call it fact) that Germany currently is reconstructing the most projects in Europe and the largest scale projects at that too (Dresden's old city, Potsdam's old city, Frankfurt's old city and the huge Berlin City Palace).
I'm not saying there are no reconstructions in other European countries or that they aren't of the same standard or quality. No, not at all. Just quantity-wise Germany obviously leads. Easy for such an economically successful, big and populated country.
I also don't understand why this has to be a controversial topic here among us all of a sudden. It wasn't for so many years. Just don't overthink it, alright?

How about you too share some of the most prominent reconstruction projects in a country of your liking, like I did with Germany? maybe I am totally underestimating what many projects and cities are reconstructed in Hungary (other than what was already shown in this thread) for example. I can't know of everything.

Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; October 31st, 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:48 PM   #1225
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
You seem a bit upset by my post. I didn't mean it like that at all. I know you are a cool guy.
I was just stating the (I guess we can call it fact) that Germany currently is reconstructing the most projects in Europe and the largest scale projects at that too (Dresden's old city, Potsdam's old city, Frankfurt's old city and the huge Berlin City Palace). Not saying there are no reconstructions in other European countries or that they aren't of the same standard or quality. No, not at all. Just quantity-wise Germany obviously leads.
I also don't understand why this has to be a controversial topic here among us all of a sudden. It wasn't for so many years. Just don't overthink it, alright?

How about you too share some of the most prominent reconstruction projects in a country of your liking, like I did with Germany? maybe I am totally underestimating what many Projects and cities are reconstructed in Hungary for example. I can't know of everything.
It's all right, maybe I overreacted a little bit. Germany does have the largest-scale projects as of lately, which is fascinating since those buildings were destroyed 70 years ago. It's also hard to put your whole opinion on a difficult topic in a couple of sentences on a foreign language, I've found myself reading some of my older posts and wishing I'd structured them differently in order to express my opinion as clear as I could.

Unfortunately, I get most of my information about reconstructions from this forum, so I wouldn't know much about other countries, and where I live, we don't have many true reconstruction projects, most of those happen in the eastern part of the country since that area suffered the most during the war in the 1990s, and other posters from Croatia have done a good job of sharing photos from those areas in this thread and the revitalization thread. Of course, if a miracle happens and someone reconstructs a medieval fortress or other important building close to my home, I'll post it here...
Old November 3rd, 2017, 12:28 AM   #1226
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57995

Actually various 19th century buildings have (at least partly) been reconstructed in Germany in the past 30 years. Just look at the amazing Leipzig!

>>> http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536223

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tiaren, Titan Man liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1227
FAK

Likes (Received): 6468

Gran Teatro La Fenice, Venezia - Italy

On 29 January 1996, La Fenice was completely destroyed by fire. Only its acoustics were preserved, since Lamberto Tronchin, an Italian acoustician, had measured the acoustics two months earlier.
After various delays, reconstruction began in earnest in 2001. In 650 days, a team of 200 plasterers, artists, woodworkers, and other craftsmen succeeded in recreating the ambiance of the old theatre, at a cost of some €90 million.
La Fenice was rebuilt in 19th-century style on the basis of a design by architect Aldo Rossi who, in order to obtain details of its design, used still photographs from the opening scenes of Luchino Visconti's film Senso (1954), which had been filmed in the house. La Fenice reopened on 14 December 2003 with an inaugural concert of Beethoven, Wagner, and Stravinsky. The first staged opera was a production of La traviata, in November 2004.
Critical response to the rebuilt La Fenice was mixed. The music critic of the paper Il Tempo, Enrico Cavalotti, was satisfied. He found the colours a bit bright but the sound good and compact. However, for his colleague Dino Villatico of the La Repubblica, the acoustics of the new hall lacked resonance, and the colours were painfully bright. He found it "kitsch, a fake imitation of the past". He said that "the city should have had the nerve to build a completely new theater; Venice betrayed its innovative past by ignoring it".

Before:
VENEZIA_Interno del Teatro La Fenice_SAP; 35 by Manuel Palomino Arjona, su Flickr

After:

Teatro La Fenice (2001) by silverdroid, su Flickr

E01 by mimmo rapisarda, su Flickr

Teatro La Fenice by Bobby Zucco, su Flickr

Teatro La Fenice, Venice [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Youflavio (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Teatro la Fenice, Venise by Mathieu FRANCOIS DU BERTRAND, su Flickr

Masquerade in the theatre. by Federica Delprino, su Flickr

Teatro La Fenice, Venezia by Generali Group Head Office Trieste, su Flickr

Teatro la Fenice, Venise by Mathieu FRANCOIS DU BERTRAND, su Flickr
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #1228
Croatian heritage

Likes (Received): 1535

Reconstruction of belltower roof in Kutjevo

Before

After

Croatian heritage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #1229
Torontonia

Likes (Received): 369

Has anyone posted this gem from the German town of Neschwitz yet? Reconstruction of the local church spire.

Old December 9th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #1230
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Awesome! Love those little projects!
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #1231
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1665

When finished this will be truly epic.

Photos by boogie11

Zamosc, Poland

Tags