daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #121
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Mostar looks lovely. But whats up with those two buildings missing their roofs? Are they going to be restored anytime soon?
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #122
Leo_C

Likes (Received): 3

In the UK two of the most important restorations have been the House of Commons in Westminster Palace
image hosted on flickr

Winston Churchill inspecting the damage

Today
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Windsor in the English county of Berkshire, is the largest inhabited castle in the world and, dating back to the time of William the Conqueror, is the oldest in continuous occupation. Together with Buckingham Palace in London and Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, it is one of the principal official residences of the British monarch. Queen Elizabeth II spends many weekends of the year at the castle, using it for both state and private entertaining.

In 20 November 1992, a fire which began in the Queen's private chapel (between "C" and "D" on plan) quickly spread. The fire raged for 15 hours until it had destroyed nine of the principal state rooms, and severely damaged over 100 more—in all the larger part of the upper ward. One-fifth of the floor space of the castle was damaged—an area of 9,000 square metres (97,000 sq ft). The restoration programme was not complete until 1997, 70% of it funded by the decision to open to the public for the first time the state rooms of Buckingham Palace. The total cost of repairing the damage was £37 million. The restoration was undertaken at no additional cost to the British taxpayer. So successful was the restoration and faithfulness to the original plans and decorations that the distinction between old and new is hard to detect

Highcliff liked this post
Leo_C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #123
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

I wish I could be posting pictures of coventry both before WW2 and after reconstruction, but alas

In fact, during the 50s,60s and 70s we in Britain actually pulled down a lot of our architectural gems that had survived.

Like this example.

Birmingham Central Library before:

and after

havaska está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #124
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Mostar looks lovely. But whats up with those two buildings missing their roofs? Are they going to be restored anytime soon?
im not sure what the exact story is but I can imagine it has to do something with privatization of property, since before the war most buildings were govt owned (communism)...I know there were some buildings placed on HOLD in Mostar because they breached the building permit regulations. In Bosnia everything is 3 times as complicated then in an average EU country.

I personally think that in the next 15 years we could see a completely renovated and reconstructed Mostar. A lot of the old town has been renovated and restored, but some placed in the newer parts of the city still stand abandoned or as they were after the war. Many old buildings from the communist era still stand as they did after the war. This is mainly the fault of the Mostar local govt since many new buildings have been building, instead of renovating and using excising structures.

But Mostar was pretty much like Berlin & Warsaw after 45', totally demolished. When you drive through the city now there are still some buildings with war scares on them, but I think A LOT of progress has been done in Mostar. Just thinking back to 95' most streets were completely gone and sunk due to bombings. So things are going for the better there, slowly but surely.
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #125
beren_me

Likes (Received): 62

Curtea Veche("Old Court"), Bucharest XIV-XVIII century.Digital reconstruction as it looked during Constantin Brancoveanu's reign ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Brâncoveanu ), before being destroyed by fire in 1718 and an earthquake in 1738.[images from http://reconstituiri.ro/galerii/gale...reconstituire/ ]

Highcliff, Simose liked this post
beren_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #126
beren_me

Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM   #127
beren_me

Today...

from http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fișier:Curtea_Veche.jpg

Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #128
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

What people don't realise is we all die.....we all have a short life, relatively speaking ! maybe 80 years ? and memories even less ? So when a structure is rebuilt it is for generations not just the people that lived when it was first built or rebuilt. Here in Australia....a new world country by comparison an historic building on a pier was burnt down. There was much controversy whether it should be replaced by a modern structure or the original be recreated. Now some years past....the old was reconstructed and now it's as if it was never gone.....I look back to the tower ( Campanile ) in St. Marks Square, Venice. It collapsed in the early 1900's and was replaced yet a skyscraper in New York although now older is looked on as a new copy of this structure. We have a Parliament House in Melbourne that has never been completed yet some feel to use original plans would be wrong ? Many Cathedrals in Europe took centuries to complete so wonder why people can't accept a wonderful era of architecture can't still be used. People are funny.......
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #129
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

That Birmingham Library is hideous, hideous, hideous.

Exeter:

This:

http://www.oldukphotos.com/devon_exeter.htm

Replaced with this:

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_...fordstreet.php

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/p...hayphotos.html

Since demolished and replaced with this crap:

http://www.princesshay-apartments.co...p-about-us.php

Welcome to 'historic' Britain. What a total joke.

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #130
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 463

I totally agree - the destruction of much of Britain's heritage in the 60's and 70''s and to a slightly lesser extent in the 80's was solely due to arrogant politicians and corrupt developers trying to make that "fast buck" with the pathetic excuse of being oh so modern!!
As a result we are left with all that shit, some of which thank goodness is coming down now but much remains.
The damage done in this country during WW2 was totally insignificant compared to what happened in the following decades.

Photodash liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #131
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
As a result we are left with all that shit, some of which thank goodness is coming down now but much remains. The damage done in this country during WW2 was totally insignificant compared to what happened in the following decades.
This
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #132
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

This one was posted in Baltics forums -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index_LT View Post
After seeing that everybody is hungry of projects I'll add this.

Biržai castle arsenal is being rebuilt on existing fundament. It will be one store renaissance building (Although it is argued that before destruction second floor was being built). After this we are also planning to rebuil the castle gates.

Arsenal is that big building on the left.

p.s. Maybe I will make some photos soon.
Birzai castle (the building at the top) was rebuilt in the 1980 and this is what it looks like today -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir%C5%BEai_Castle

I dont think the earthworks exist today or that there are any plans to rebuild those.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #133
Index_LT

Likes (Received): 499

These bastions exist in their original form. They are only grown up with the trees which didn't exist when fortress was functional. There were some efforts to cut them down and return the fortress it's original view, but they were stopped by the greens.

You can see those bastions in this areal photo:

taken from jonis.eu page.

Last edited by Index_LT; July 25th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Index_LT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #134
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

Ah I see, my mistake.
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #135
Index_LT

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Ah I see, my mistake.
It's not so easy to know such things when you're not local. Actually, with back wall of main building it was only part of castle which stood before rebuilding.
Index_LT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #136
z0nnebril

Likes (Received): 552

They never reconstruct something here in the Netherlands!
z0nnebril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #137
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Het Loo Gardens are a recreation.
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #138
z0nnebril

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMass View Post
Het Loo Gardens are a recreation.
Gardens...come on! I want buildings!
z0nnebril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #139
BANNED

Likes (Received): 382

Old city Drežnik

Before reconstruction

during Reconstruction

the end

Last edited by *****; August 20th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
***** no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM   #140
J-Ph

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
/.../
Old city Drežnik
/.../
Nice. When and why was it destroyed, and when was it rebuilt ?

A few other examples in France :
- Heavy restorations of the XIXth century may sometimes actually be considered reconstructions :
One of the most known (and controversial) restorations : Pierrefonds, a big XIVth century castle, 70 km north of Paris, restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the late XIXth century :

Nort-east and north aisles, before and after restoration :

East and North aisles, during and after restoration :

- After the world wars, emblematic buildings were generally restored (unlike less prestigious ones, not to mention historical districts, which were more or less “modernized” on that occasion).
Reims cathedral, partially rebuilt after WW1, is a well known example. About 50 km from Reims is another, less known, partially rebuilt cathedral : Soissons.

Soissons cathedral after WW1 :

source : culture.gouv.fr

source : culture.gouv.fr

Today :

source : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ale-facade.jpg

source : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Soissons13.JPG

source :
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...drale-pano.jpg

We saw Arras belfry (northern France) page one. Here are pictures of one of the market squares. We see the same row of houses on both pictures.
Grand Place during WW1 (I don’t know where this comes from) :

Today :

(source : http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/20374188.jpg

J-Ph no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
reconstructions, rekonstruktionen, restoration, stipson