daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Architecture, Infrastructure, and Urban Issues

Old June 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #101
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 22

so the world WILL end in 2012..... zippo was lying after all !!!

Sponsored Links

Old June 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #102
Ramy H

Likes (Received): 32

lol... no martyr they are just doing this to be symbolic haha

In other news.....

Trees4Lebanon initiative just planted around 2,000 cedar trees in West Beqaa. They have a website, its still under-construction I presume because it sucks and shows nothing lol. This group started up in 2008, and by the end of this year they are expected to have planted more than 100,000 trees!

But, the important part about this is that by 2020 they are expected to have planted 1 million trees across lebanon (not only cedars). They are an NGO so they do require donations, which actually have been frequent by those SMS donation events as well as just average people donating. The weird part about their initiative is that so many industries and ministries help them (because costs of doing this is in the millions) but the only ministry that has not done anything is the Ministry of Environment!

Now, not to say the ministry of environment doesn't do anything, because they do help every other green initiative in Lebanon... its just weird that they don't help this one as well.
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM   #103
Ramy H

Some good news

EU, Lebanon open Tripoli, Mechmech waste plants
By Ali Beydoun
Special to The Daily Star
Thursday, July 01, 2010

BEIRUT: The Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Reform (OMSAR) and the Union of Municipalities in Tripoli and the Municipality of Mechmech, in collaboration with the EU delegation laid the cornerstones of two state-of-the-art solid-waste management plants in the Tripoli and Akkar regions, on Tuesday. A grant of 14.2 million euros has been poured into this project by the EU; meanwhile the Lebanese Cabinet has also decided to allocate part of the national budget for the future maintenance of this project, making this a joint EU-Lebanon endeavor.

“What we are building now will still be functioning in coming years as it [maintenance] is being funded by the Lebanese side as well” said an EU delegation official.

The facility in Tripoli will manage 150 tons of waste per day while the Mechmech facility will handle 8 tons per day.

Both facilities are expected to be completed within 15 months. These two projects are part of a long-term, larger project which will include the construction of other similar facilities in the Chouf, Ansar, Tyre, Khiam, Abassieh, Baalbeck, and Minieh, said Rola Kabbani of OMSAR.

Composting of organic waste will also take place in the facilities in the Chouf, Ansaar, Tyre, Khiam, Baalbeck, and Nabatiyeh. Awareness campaigns on proper waste-sorting methods to the general public will also be held. The project will also include the distribution of 13, 663 waste bins to the above regions as well as 52 garbage trucks.

Ceremonies were held in both Tripoli and the village of Mechmech (where the Akkar facility will be built).

In Mechmech, residents welcomed the EU delegation and Lebanese officials by throwing rice at their vehicles in celebration of their arrival. Notable speakers at the events were Minister of State for Administrative Reform Mohammad Fneish from OMSAR, and Patrick Laurent, ambassador of the EU delegation in Lebanon, as well as the mayors of both municipalities, respectively.

In his speech, Laurent stressed the need for these facilities as a means to target the dangerous pollution levels and climate change in Lebanon. “Personally, I am very worried about Lebanon on this subject,” said Laurent. In a comment to The Daily Star, Laurent added that the current “lack of infrastructure [for solid-waste treatment] is appalling.”

The current situation in Lebanon generally involves the use of landfills and waste “dumps” where waste is piled on and compacted into the ground. When not in landfills, solid waste can often be found in the sea, in rivers, or in lakes.

Due to geographic proximity, any drastic geological issues that occur in Lebanon would affect the European environment as well, said an official from the EU delegation. Laurent added that as a result “this is not a charity to Lebanon; this is assistance” as part of a global environment concern.

Fneish stressed in his speech the importance for all Lebanese to work together to conserve Lebanon’s national resources.

“Particularly in this regard, each citizen has the possibility and even the duty to contribute to the protection of the environment,” said Laurent in his speech as well.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #104
Ramy H

On september 19th in el mina Lebanese rock band DTA (doors to aspiration) is holding a concert promoting to keep Lebanon clean.
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #105
Ramy H

Pollution in Zouk....

http://mtv.com.lb/MTV_News_Special_R...ype=1&filter=0

Saida's Garbage Mt

Blockage of Rivers.. specifically Nahr el Mout

Old July 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #106
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 22

the saida video tells you a lot about the land reclamation project... it shows you the shape of the area to be reclaimed and what some of the plots will be used for...
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #107
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYR View Post
the saida video tells you a lot about the land reclamation project... it shows you the shape of the area to be reclaimed and what some of the plots will be used for...
too bad the link is broken now!
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #108
Ramy H

Rahhal launches first marine environmental project
July 27, 2010 share

Environment Minister Mohammad Rahhal launched on Tuesday Lebanon’s first marine environmental touristic project from the fishermen port in Dbayeh, north of Beirut, NOW Lebanon’s correspondent reported.

Rahhal said the project, estimated at a cost of $125,000, calls for changing the Dbayeh port’s installations to enable tourists and fishermen to take boat trips from the port.

-NOW Lebanon
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #109
AmeriLEB

Cedars Forest Friends continues expansion efforts in Bsharri
By Antoine Amrieh
Daily Star correspondent
Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Listen to the Article - Powered by

BSHARRI: The Committee of the Cedars Forest Friends pursues its large-scale project to expand Bsharri cedar forests, despite certain setbacks this year. It will also hold a celebration mass inside the expanded territories on Friday.

The project to expand the cedar forests on the Makmel Mountain in north Lebanon was launched in 1999 and continues to grow, thanks to the efforts of the committee, the Bsharri municipality and civil society bodies.

Several measures have been launched so far as part of the project, including the reforestation of vast spaces and the protection of existing trees.

Two forests are located in the mountain, the famous Arz ar-Rab cedar forest and the newly forested Lebanese Cedar Friends Forest. The first is in the middle of the Makmel Mountain and overlooks the Qadisha Valley, while the second is on the western foot of the mountain.

The committee aims at joining the two to the Tannourine forest, thus completely covering the Makmel Mountain with 10 million cedar trees.

Qozhaya Tawq, an engineer working with the committee, explained that about 300 million square meters will be reforested with the help of the Bsharri municipality, the Alfredo Harp Helu Foundation, Bank Med and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).

“So far 65,000 new trees have been planted and 95 percent of them were seeds taken from the God’s Cedar Forest,” he said, adding: “The trees are between 2 and 8 years of age and the committee takes care of them, in terms of irrigation and protection.”

To irrigate the large surfaces, the committee has been benefiting from two nearby artificial lakes. The first was formed in coordination with UNDP and has the capacity to hold 17,000 cubic meters of water, and the second was dubbed Mary Isabelle Harb Helou and has the capacity to hold 25,000 cubic meters of water.

However, the latter lake suffered some damage this year, when vandals tore through its protective plastic cover. “We were forced to empty 60 percent of the water in order to fix the damage … We later filled the lake with snow,” Tawq said.

As for providing cedar trees for planting, Tawq explained that the Alfredo Harp Helu Foundation has been funding the work of a specialized arboretum in Bsharri. The nursery is currently producing 20,000 cedar trees a year but the committee’s plan is to increase its productivity to 100,000 trees per year.

In addition to expanding the Lebanese Cedar Friends Forest, the committee has also been working on protecting the cedars of the God’s Cedar Forest.

Head of the Committee of the Cedars Forest Friends Joseph Finianos explained that one of the steps to be taken soon was closing the highway that goes through the forest.

“We will divert the main highway that goes through the forest to the other side, which will allow us to add three old cedar trees to the forest and to keep the cedars safe from pollution. Also, another location will be assigned to roadside sellers of antiques and artifacts,” he said.

Furthermore, the committee is constructing an eco-house, as part of its project, and it is using rocks found in the mountains in order to keep the building in harmony with its surroundings. The house will have a reception room and a room for scientific environmental studies.

Visitors are invited to visit the Lebanese Cedar Friends Forest on Friday to celebrate the committee’s achievements and the occasion of the Transfiguration of Our Lord.

Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir will preside over a mass, organized by the Tourist Committee for Jibbet Bsharri, in cooperation with the Committee of the Cedars Forest Friends and the Bsharri municipality.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:53 PM   #110
AmeriLEB

Environment research projects launched to halt damage
Ministry initiatives will tackle water treatment, waste sites

By Carol Rizk
Daily Star staff
Wednesday, August 04, 2010

BEIRUT: Environment Minister Mohammad Rahhal launched on Tuesday four environmental studies, which will tackle water treatment at the Litani River, quarries, waste dumps and an updated report on Lebanon’s environment situation.

The studies were launched during a news conference attended by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) representative in Lebanon Marta Ruedas, UNDP director in Lebanon Seifeddine Abaro, and officials from the public and private sectors.

The research projects will be funded by the government and it is estimated to take four years to complete, with a budget of $1.4 million for the first year.

Rahhal explained the four studies in detail and started by tackling the water treatment project at the Litani River and Qaraoun Lake.

“Money was paid to municipalities, ministries and institutions. Had the amounts been collected since 1990, we could have built another river and another lake. Many countries paid irregularly and we couldn’t see any result,” he said. “This has happened all over Lebanon, not only on the Litani.”

He noted that the water treatment projects were not the responsibility of the Environment Ministry but that of the Water and Energy Ministry. “We have permission, according to the policy, to prepare a complete plan from Baalbek to Tyre concerning the Litani,” he said.

Another project to clean the Litani River and protect it from pollution will be launched parallel to the study.

Rahhal continued to tackle the second study, which concerns quarries. He regretted that a “mafia” regulated quarries, and that people were not implementing a decision issued by the previous government.

He said quarry owners often justified their violations with sectarian reasons, and noted that the Environment Ministry only had a few employees charged with studying the files of quarry businesses.

“Any business that doesn’t implement the government’s decision and doesn’t have a permit will be closed … We are responsible for every permit given … The problem is the lack of supervision because we are understaffed,” he said.

Rahhal also explained that Lebanon had about 25 large waste dumps, but lacked law to regulate them or to regulate waste processing.

He focused on the Sidon dump and stressed the gravity of the situation in the southern coastal city. He then said several meetings were held with concerned authorities concerning this issue and “we hope to start implementing our plan, so that in 3-and-a-half years we will be able to build waste treatment centers all over Lebanon.”

The environment minister then discussed the fourth study to update Lebanon’s environmental reality report, which was created in the mid 1990s.

He said environmental reports should be updated every two or three years and not every ten years, adding that the report will help assess damages in each sector.

Rahhal then underlined the importance of environmental studies in Lebanon, especially with the rising effects of climate change. “If we continue to deal with environmental affairs in this manner this will be the end to our planet,” he said.
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #111
Ramy H

''Clean up the rivers'' operation
August 03, 2010

BEIRUT - ''Operation Big Blue'' Non Governemental Organisation is planning an awarness and cleaning campaign of Lebaneses Rivers called “Clean up the rivers” on Sunday, 25th September. The association’s facebook page indicated the 8th of august mistakenly. It will occur in four rivers. Civil society is called to join the movement.
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #112
Nadim95

Likes (Received): 0

25 September, on my birthday
Nadim95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #113
Elie plus
Beirut: everything 4 sale

Anyone has news about this project?
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #114
Ramy H

Post 39 http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=964442&page=2

And on page 5 the first few posts I put up other renders.... It looks like a great project doesnt it?!
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #115
Elie plus
Beirut: everything 4 sale

It is Ramy, i really hope it doesn't remain just a project. we need this lung especially that the actual river course is a huge hideous concrete canal. we need updates because to my knowing one internal security force official had a counter proposal to turn the whole river course into multi-level parking lot. he even ridiculed the project, i literally jumped to my tv screen to strangle the ass hole
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #116
Ramy H

No way! What a stupid counter proposal.

My one worry for the project is its renders will mirror what the final project looks like. Personally I hate grass, but if we are going to have a functional park in Beirut the good majority needs to be grass (short grass!) so it can be utilized. There also needs to be large areas of just trees and benches so people who want to walk can walk in peace, or read can read in peace.

Garden parks are beautiful, but they only work when there are other parks people and kids can go play on. In our case, we need to screw the garden and get a social park being created, and future parks that come up can be garden parks (ie. the renders)
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #117
ramynasser

Likes (Received): 8

i am afraid that such a park will end up like other beirut parks full of nawar and trash!

there should be a paid entrance so that none of the nawar enters this place.

btw "souk el ahad" should be removed first! we can't build a green park near a trash park. (sin el fil municipality wanted to remove the souk and build instead a park but unfortunately ex president lahoud forbid them to do so after giving the souk an official permission from the state)
ramynasser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #118
Rabih
Smirk4Life

Likes (Received): 13

by the way guy, I came up with a similar idea and posted it on "Your dream project for Lebanon" thread on July 20th, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
Project: Beirut Parks and Green Spaces

We all agree how bad Beirut is in need for green areas and parks! However with the poor urban development and increasing land value, it seems unlikely to happen!

Here's a feasible idea for developing (2) urban parks to satisfy Beirut's needs for green spaces:

Park (1)= Beirut Central Park
I've always been amazed by the Central Park in Manhattan, NYC. The Beirut Central Park would follow the same concept. However it will not be a wide open space, but an elongated stretch of green spaces -perhaps following the "Beirut Metro" lines suggested before. Width of the park would vary between 30 & 50 meters depending on the area. All roads cutting that park will become tunnels passing under it along with the metro system.

The park will be V shaped:
The first stretch will pass by Cola, Verdun, Hamra.
The second stretch will pass by Hamra, Sannayeh, Centreville.

Park (2)= River Park
Basically transforming the hideous Beirut river to an urban park along it's banks, something like this. Of course, studies should be made so the river won't flood the park during winter.

Old August 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #119
Hassoun
Son of the cedars

Likes (Received): 252

actually i came up with similar idea, but it was to transfer Beirut river to something like this river in Seoul

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #120
Ramy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramynasser View Post
i am afraid that such a park will end up like other beirut parks full of nawar and trash!

there should be a paid entrance so that none of the nawar enters this place.

btw "souk el ahad" should be removed first! we can't build a green park near a trash park. (sin el fil municipality wanted to remove the souk and build instead a park but unfortunately ex president lahoud forbid them to do so after giving the souk an official permission from the state)
Paying for parks would suck... if enough of the population visits these parks the "nawar" will become uncomfortable and will go back to the corniche lol.
Is souk el ahad that bad? I thought it was a giant farmer's market where people sold their foods, jams, even food (usually migrant workers). It looks fine from pictures.. however I never have seen it in person.

Rabih and Hassoun... I like both your ideas. Of course feasibility is the key thing here like Rabih stated. For instance, it would be likely to flood if we adopted a similar scheme as Seoul has. Plus I would rather have leisure park then walking park, only because we do not have a leisure park to begin with