daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #241
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17490

Brazil

Last edited by xrtn2; August 15th, 2017 at 06:24 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #242
pinomaiuli

Likes (Received): 29816

Tuscan - ITALY

Labirinto toscano by MilanoTrasporti, su Flickr

Autobahn-mann liked this post
pinomaiuli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 05:58 AM   #243
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17490

Brazilian road signs

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:17 AM   #244
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

Comparison of road sign and signpost fonts in European countries:

I believe using capital letters only on signposts is a bad idea since for lowercase letters it's easier to early recognize the city name since it always has characteristic shape. In case of capitals only, everything is rectangular.

This doesn't work for the Cyrylic alphabet, where the lowercase letters are usually miniatures of the uppercase ones and all of them have practically the same height.

But concerning the Latin alphabet, quite many countries use capitals:
- seemingly, some parts of Spain
- Ireland (as I checked, the signs are bilingual, in straight capitals in English and in italic lowercase in Irish)
- France (because... Germans use lowercase, so the French must be different?)
- Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Sweden and Finland (but not Norway)
- Latvia and Lithuania
- Italy
- Albania
- supposedly... Greece, but I checked, and the signs are bilingual/bialphabetical (Greek and Latin/English; although personally, once I saw the German language instead of English - on a sign directing to a German military graveyard), but there is no difference in "caseness" of the script, they are distinguished from each other by color - the names in Greek are yellow and those in English are white

Most of the Latin-writing Europe uses lowercase letters, but they are exception, some of which (like Czech Republic and Slovakia or Sweden and Finland) are difficult to explain why they chose uppercase font.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:51 AM   #245
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Greece uses both uppercase and regular ones. But AFAIK uppercase is on motorways. I know Cyrilic and also Greek alphabet, but I am not able to read those signs written with small letters.

Slovakia does not use uppercase anymore. Since 2014 the official typeface is Tern (the same used in Austria) with small letters.

The transition period would take very long, but new motorways sign are made in Tern. The temporary signs in Bratislava erected recently are also made in Tern.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:26 AM   #246
Kpc21

And in Poland now they want to add Polish names of foreign cities next to the original ones used until now, but... not successively, with the normal signage exchange, but immediately, spending on it a lot of money!

Those nationalists...

Why so? I don't know. Maybe they are afraid that someone, maybe from a different political option, who will win the next elections, would stop the project.

Or just because they want the people see they are doing something. Regardless of how stupid it may be.

Let's say I agree that bilingual signs would be in some way better than the foreign-only ones (although it's not difficult to guess what city they mean anyway as the names in Polish are similar, nothing like the Hungarian-Romanian Koloszvar vs. Cluj-Napoca). But it not such an important and urgent issue to spend a big amount of money on it...

Or they just can't bear seeing the names of cities which are Polish in their minds (like Lwˇw or Wilno, in the spelling they love) so much. Of course history is history and they have no way of returning them to Poland (not to mention it makes no sense nowadays when almost all the Poles from there were moved to the "regained lands", the population which lives there is mostly Ukrainian/Lithuanian, while we in Poland we are in a situation comfortable as nowhere else in Europe with 95% of the population of Poland being Polish). So they are trying to do what they can - modify the road signs...

Last edited by Kpc21; November 23rd, 2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:44 AM   #247
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
- Italy
In Italy capital are used only on city names and location's names proper. Any other text isn't in capital...
(I hope is comprensible, sorry for bad english...)

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:08 PM   #248
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
And in Poland now they want to add Polish names of foreign cities next to the original ones used until now, but... not successively, with the normal signage exchange, but immediately, spending on it a lot of money!

Those nationalists...

Why so? I don't know. Maybe they are afraid that someone, maybe from a different political option, who will win the next elections, would stop the project.

Or just because they want the people see they are doing something. Regardless of how stupid it may be.
I believe it is quite a common way to write the foreign names in the local language. And often in the local language only.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:39 PM   #249
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
- supposedly... Greece, but I checked, and the signs are bilingual/bialphabetical (Greek and Latin/English; although personally, once I saw the German language instead of English - on a sign directing to a German military graveyard), but there is no difference in "caseness" of the script, they are distinguished from each other by color - the names in Greek are yellow and those in English are white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Greece uses both uppercase and regular ones. But AFAIK uppercase is on motorways. I know Cyrilic and also Greek alphabet, but I am not able to read those signs written with small letters.
The reason that you see instances of motorway signs that use all capital lettering is simply because they were designed with the old guidelines and standards in mind.
This changed in 2003's revision of the guidelines, and it has become common practice ever since, even though that revision was officially approved for public use just in 2011.

Before 2003-2004:

After 2004:

As for the fonts, motorway signs (the green ones) use the DIN 1451 (both Mittelschrift and Engschrift). Meanwhile in all other roads, we use a variant of the British Transport font.

Last edited by Stavros86; November 23rd, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 09:56 PM   #250
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros86 View Post
As for the fonts, motorway signs (the green ones) use the DIN 1451 (both Mittelschrift and Engschrift). Meanwhile in all other roads, we use a variant of the British Transport font.
I have just recently realized that your motorway font is the same as our licence plate font.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:14 PM   #251
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It's interesting that the Greek motorway signage uses many elements from the German signage. But they use the prefix 'A' in the number shield. Germany doesn't do that (and evidently, the old Greek system didn't either).

my clinched highways / travel mapping Ľ highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Stavros86 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:32 PM   #252
Kpc21

Probably they saw that the German system is good and just copied it.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #253
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3708

One of things I noticed some time ago about road signs in other countries is how common directional signs are on surface streets in urban areas. In the USA it's rare outside of those that junction with freeways/motorways.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #254
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I have just recently realized that your motorway font is the same as our licence plate font.
Yes, it looks very similar to the German DIN 1451.
We do the same in our license plates, since 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's interesting that the Greek motorway signage uses many elements from the German signage. But they use the prefix 'A' in the number shield. Germany doesn't do that (and evidently, the old Greek system didn't either).
The Greek motorway signing guidelines, called ΟΜΟΕ-ΚΣΑ, are essentially a copy of the German RWBA 2000. There are a few deviations here and there, one of which you already mentioned, but the basic principles are the exactly the same.
You may find a copy of the guidelines here.

Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #255
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:

- seemingly, some parts of Spain
It's not really about "parts", but about the kind of road. Upper-case (VALENCIA) -> non-motorways, lower-case (Zaragoza) -> motorways.

Kpc21 liked this post
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #256
54░26′S 3░24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
One of things I noticed some time ago about road signs in other countries is how common directional signs are on surface streets in urban areas. In the USA it's rare outside of those that junction with freeways/motorways.
The average US city, with a reasonably regular grid of streets/avenues that are often numbered and usually very well signed, is in my experience still much easier to navigate than cities of most of the rest of the world, though.

Penn's Woods, nick.english.dept liked this post
54░26′S 3░24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:00 PM   #257
LM69

Likes (Received): 123

Germany

A8, nearby Merzig, direction LUX

Kpc21, Autobahn-mann, Stavros86 liked this post
LM69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #258
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Switzerland removes all "Crosswind" signs:
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #259
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Why?

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #260
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

There are efforts to thin out the "Schilderwald" (traffic sign jungle). According to the authorities the crosswind sign doesn't contribute to the road safety and is therefore not important.

The actual wind cones are still present and a better indicator for winds.

eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote