daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #281
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

If I remember well, the warning (?) signs may also have green background.

Concerning the circular STOP signs, they were used in Poland (and probably also in other Eastern Bloc countries) until 1970s-1980s. And believing the text of the appendices to the convention, some countries like e.g. Cuba are still using them.

About the diamond "road with priority" signs, the first one from those which you mentioned means an opposite thing to the rest

And... theoretically, this sign:

may also mean "minimum speed 90 km/h"
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #282
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
About the diamond "road with priority" signs, the first one from those which you mentioned means an opposite thing to the rest
Also the "no parking" and "no stopping" signs of course have different meanings, but I suspect Riiga is aware of this.

Kpc21 liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #283
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
If I remember well, the warning (?) signs may also have green background.

Concerning the circular STOP signs, they were used in Poland (and probably also in other Eastern Bloc countries) until 1970s-1980s. And believing the text of the appendices to the convention, some countries like e.g. Cuba are still using them.

And... theoretically, this sign:

may also mean "minimum speed 90 km/h"
The VC is not an executive decree. It just set out the span the national laws should vary within. So theoretically, you are right about the 90 kph speed limit example, but practically all necessary information is well described in various national executive decrees.

Kpc21 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #284
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

Yes, but the aim of the Vienna Convention (of both, the general one and the one about signs and signals) is that if you go abroad, you shouldn't be surprised by the different traffic rules, the different meanings of the signs and signals and so on. It's understandable that there might be some more or less minor differences in the meanings of the signs or in the detailed traffic rules. But there shouldn't be a situation that the same sign in two countries has totally opposite meanings. And Vienna Convention allows that. Luckily, I don't know about any such case in practice.

For example, yesterday reading the convention, I got to know about the general rule, that a sign with a town/village/city name on light background with dark letters will always also mean a beginning of built-up area, while one with the name on dark background with light letters will mean just the beginning of the town/village/city, without introducing a built-up area. In most countries it is so that one of those two rules is applied: either the town name signs automatically also mean a built-up area (e.g. in Germany), or there must be a separate sign of a built-up area (it is so in Poland now).

But I did not know before that the thing with colors is internationally regulated. Now I know why it is so that in the past, when the rule in Poland was the same as in Germany (a sign with the town name introduced a built-up area), those signs where white with black letters and when the rule was changed, the colors got changed too and now it's green signs with white letters. The color change was in order to satisfy the demands of the Vienna Convention. When the sign with the town name doesn't introduce a built-up area, it must have dark background and light letters.

Another thing. Why do the directional signs on motorways in Europe always have blue or green background and white letters? It is also specified in the Vienna convention. They must have blue or green background and white letters. The exact shapes of the signs, the font used on them, the rules of how to design those signs are up to the local regulations, but the Vienna Convention says that the background must be blue or green.

Or the temporary signs, for detours etc. They must - according to the Vienna Convention - always have yellow or orange background and black letters.

Last edited by Kpc21; December 10th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #285
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Yes, but the aim of the Vienna Convention (of both, the general one and the one about signs and signals) is that if you go abroad, you shouldn't be surprised by the different traffic rules, the different meanings of the signs and signals and so on. It's understandable that there might be some more or less minor differences in the meanings of the signs or in the detailed traffic rules. But there shouldn't be a situation that the same sign in two countries has totally opposite meanings. And Vienna Convention allows that. Luckily, I don't know about any such case in practice.
The Vienna Convention is not a lawbook but a cookbook. It is implemented by a domestic legislation in each country ratified, and each country has a right to declare reservations (make deviations). Some of the articles are quite explicit while some of those are high-level guidance only.

As one can see at the UNECE papers, how the convention is implemented in the member countries is under regular monitoring. I expect that we shall see some amendments in the coming years.

My experience on driving in various countries says that the harmonization of traffic signs across the European countries is very successful. The issues are not about the color, shapes and symbols but about missing signs to be replaced by text signs. Texts like "Doorgaand verkeer", "Begränsad framkomlighet", "Rekkverk mangler" , "Routes étroites marques axiales de guidage" or "Läpiajo Kuusankoskentielle kielletty" are somewhat challenging for the foreigners.

Last edited by MattiG; December 10th, 2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Grammar, saakeli
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #286
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
My experience on driving in various countries says that the harmonization of traffic signs across the European countries is very successful. The issues are not about the color, shapes and symbols but about missing signs to be replaced by text signs. Texts like "Doorgaand verkeer", "Begränsad framkomlighet", "Rekkverk mangler" , "Routes étroites marques axiales de guidage" or "Läpiajo Kuusankoskentielle kielletty" are somewhat challenging for the foreigners.
Exactly, it's stuff like this that we've avoided for the most part. Illustrated below with a Swedish/American mashup:
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote