daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:47 PM   #161
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17490

A very interesting signs from Brazil

SPA Acesso a Trabiju/SP por a_fourier, no Flickr

Last edited by xrtn2; April 22nd, 2014 at 02:02 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #162
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

Just from the amount of the signs (5) it seems that drivers actually do tend to find the red circle confusing. And the striped board would also mean the completely other direction in my country at least.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #163
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

I don't understand why the heck are on the roundabout signs rather suitable for T-shaped intersection.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #164
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post

It looks like the sign maker has a friend in the sign-purchasing department of the highway maintenance authority . In the U.S., there would be a "KEEP RIGHT" sign in the island either in letters, graphic or combined and no signs prohibiting driving on the left because that's already prohibited by the double yellow lane which, by its yellow color indicates two-way movement of traffic and, by its double nature, indicates "NO PASSING" to the left of it.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:11 AM   #165
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

actually US probably would have just put a little bit more asphalt and just made the road come in a merge ramp on the right, so obvious and impossible to do wrong, instead of such a tight angle needing STOP sign and all this chaos

Why make a roundabout when you only can go right
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:13 AM   #166
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I(L)WTC View Post
Argentina

In addition to those, in South Florida we have signs for panther and crocodile/alligator crossing. In highways near airports, we also have "LOW FLYING PLANES" warning signs. Never seen one for the "strange vehocles present", though.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:43 AM   #167
El Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is there any country in the world that still don't use the octagonal stop sign?
In Italy it was indroduced in 1992, before we used this:

Can still be found, albeit very rarely, in some very small road in the countryside or private parking lot.
Cuba used the universal octagonal red stop sign until the mid 1960's then switched to the one in the picture with the word "PARE" (stop) in the center which are still in use. They are very confusing because they are identical to the "CEDA" (yield) signs except for the word "PARE".

From the 1950's through the 1970's, Cuba also had signs at every intersection indicating the direction of traffic with an arrow (double-headed for two-way traffic and single-headed for one-way) on red or green background that worked in the same fashion as the red and green navigational lights on ships. Even if there were no stop or yield signs or traffic lights, the color of the background on the traffic-direction arrow sign indicated who had the right of way. If you saw a white arrow on red background, that meant that you had to yield to cross-traffic because drivers on that road had "preference" (right of way). At the same time, drivers on the preferential road saw the green background on your street's arrow sign, which meant that they could continue without stopping or yielding because they were facing a "secondary" (non-preferential) road whose drivers did not have the right of way.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:48 AM   #168
El Tiburon

Here is the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways of the United States Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration which regulates the highway signs used in the United States:

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:55 AM   #169
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Cuba used the universal octagonal red stop sign until the mid 1960's then switched to the one in the picture with the word "PARE" (stop) in the center which are still in use. They are very confusing because they are identical to the "CEDA" (yield) signs except for the word "PARE".
WTF, just a Castro middle finger to US?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:39 AM   #170
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post

The US sign manual (MUTCD) introduced a few years ago the sign with the red ring and slash over the straight arrow and calls it a "no straight through" sign. It's for situations where traffic is required to turn left or right at an intersection and not allowed to go straight ahead, but not because it's a one-way road in the opposing direction. I've never seen one of these, but I know a situation where it could have been used, at an 4-way intersection where the ahead direction went into a shopping center parking lot, and traffic was not allowed to go straight through, to prevent cars from cutting through the lot to get to another road on the far side of the lot. Traffic was allowed to turn into the shopping center from the other two directions (hope that makes sense). The US also has the common "do not enter" sign (white bar on red dot) for potential wrong-way situations (like at the end of a freeway off-ramp or the opposing side of a divided highway).

I don't think the "no straight through" sign works very well for "do not enter" because it only works if the restricted roadway is straight ahead, not if at any kind of an angle to the driver. The standard "do not enter" sign can work on a roadway at any angle to the driver (plus it's more unique and easily recognizable). I have the same complaint about the US "keep right" sign, which we adopted from Canada. I much prefer the European version with the diagonal down-pointing arrow for the same reason.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:38 AM   #171
Kanadzie

I guess my Canadian life exceeds my European roots, that damn blue circle arrow always makes me think... what, I should drive my car underneath the road?

I don't really get the "no straight". Here they put that on the wrong end of a highway ramp, fine, but normally I prefer the "must turn left / straight" green circle one...
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:05 AM   #172
xrtn2

More some pictures from Brazil, its confusing for non-brazilian but today its our national standard:

Last edited by xrtn2; April 24th, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:37 AM   #173
Kanadzie

the only Brazil sign that worries me is that too popular Fiscalisacao Eletronica one... I don't know what it means, but whatever it could mean, it sounds painful! Is it just a scare-tactic or really means something is going to bite you...
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #174
xrtn2

Traffic enforcement camera

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:55 AM   #175
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

[QUOTE=xrtn2;113415925]More some pictures from Brazil, its confusing for non-brazilian but today its our national standard:

This looks bizarre. Why are the directions of travel reversed?

I think the issue with the Brazilian signs is that elsewhere, a round sign with a red border means you're limited or prohibited from doing something, not that you're required to do something.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

xrtn2 liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM   #176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Perhaps this is the local variant of a Texas U-turn.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #177
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

This sign cannot into Brazil:

xrtn2 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:55 PM   #178
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

That one too :

Seems like the most confusing for foreigners are the lack of those two :

Losbp, xrtn2 liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #179
xrtn2

This red sign its a kind of weird for us.
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #180
xrtn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Perhaps this is the local variant of a Texas U-turn.
Bingo.