daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Iran > Photography & Discussion > Photos

Photos Images of skyscrapers, skylines, cityscapes, landscapes and life styles.

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Likes (Received): 766

Iranian Weddings

Iranian Weddings

Hi all,

In this page I want to show you how Persian weddings are and what you'll see when u are invited to one.
Overall Iranians are very loud and fun people in parties and to be honest their parties are so much fun with so much dance and woo woooo sounds

Persian weddings are very similar to other types of weddings only the ceremony is different and brides always wear white dress like anywhere else

Sofreye Aghd is the table you see set up in front of the bride and groom in the following pictures and that's where the ceremony takes place.

from Wikipedia:

There is a very elaborate floor spread set up for Aghd, including several kinds of food and decorations, this is called Sofre-ye-Aghd. A scarf or shawl made out of silk or any other fine fabric is held over the bride and bridegroom's head (who are sitting by the Sofreh) by various married female relatives of the bride. Two sugar cones made out of hardened sugar are used during the ceremony. These sugar cones are grinded together above the bride and bridegroom's head throughout the ceremony to shower them in sugar.

Items in the Sofreh Aghd include:

* The Seven Herbs: Khashkhash (poppy seeds), Berenj(kind of wild rice), Sabzi Khoshk (Angelica), Salt , Raziyaneh(Nigella seeds), Chaay (black tea) and Frankincense (Kondor).
* The Seven Pastries: Noghl, Baklava, Tout, Noon-preneji, Noon Badoomi, Sohaan, Halvaa.
* Mirror of Fate and two candelbras, symbols of light and fire. When the bride enters the room she has her veil covering her face. Once the bride sits beside the bridegroom she removes her veil and the first thing that the bridegroom sees in the mirror should be the reflection of his wife-to-be.
* The Blessed Bread: A specially baked bread with calligraphy written on it.
* Symbols of Fertility eggs, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts.
* The Heavenly Fruits: pomegranates, grapes, apples.
* Persian Rose: A cup of rose-water and a rose extracted from the Gol-e-Mohammadi (Mohammadan flower). This is to perfume the air.
* Shaakh-e-Nabat: A bowl made out of crystallized sugar. Also a cup of honey should be on the cloth.Immediately after the couple is married they each should dip one pinky finger in the cup of honey and feed it to the other one.
* Espand: A brazier holding burning coals sprinkled with wild rue, a popular incense. Wild rue is used in many ceremonies, rituals and purification rites. It is believed to keep the evil eye away.
* Coins: A bowl of gold coins representing wealth and prosperity (in modern-day weddings, normal coins are even used)
* The Sacred Text is placed on the centre of the cloth. For Christian couples, it would be the Bible,for Zorastians Avesta, for Muslims Qur'an, for Jews the Torah. Some families also add a poetry book such as Hafez Divan or Rumi Divan.
* Prayer Carpet: "Jaa-Namaaz" spread open in the Aghd-cloth to remind the couple of importance of ritual prayer(Salat), the prayer carpet also includes a small cube of clay with prayers written on it (Mohr) and a rosary (Tasbih). Non-muslim families may or may not omit the prayer kit.

All these pix and videos are from Iranian couples and most of the ones I found are from outside of Iran and I don' post pix of the ones in Iran since they're more private and not much on the web.

by Merge weddings

Sofreh Aghd

Bride & groom in front of the Sofreh Aghd

The green thing around their neck is believed to help them have a green and blessed life together in Persian it's called Togh or Toghe Sabz (Green Togh)

With their families

Last edited by alitezar; April 25th, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
alitezar
A Persian Delight

by Michael Ansley

Another Sofreh Aghd & ceremony pix

bride & groom soak their finger in a bowl of honey and put it in each other's mouth in order to have a sweet life

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #3
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Misc Iranian Wedding pix

by hee.ca

by Stephanie Williams Photography- Soaking a finger in honey and eating it to have a sweet life

by F8 Studio

I found some pic from Tehran ones too but they are all the same in Iran or outside

Wedding Cars...in Iran they design them with flowers

Old September 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #4
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Some Persian Weddings Movie Clips to give you an idea of How Iranian weddings are and how they dance etc

Knife Dance (Raghse Chaghoo)- a very major part of each Persian wedding right before cutting the cake the girls dance with the knife and they don't give it to the bride & groom to cut the cake unless they give them some money..not that they need the money it's just basically to show the groom that he has to pay the price to have the lovely bride I guess

HAHA, this is the ceremony part and when the person says do you want to take the guy as your husband and the girl says Baleh.. and the word Baleh means "I do" in Persian so she says Baleh 3 times I think it's very unique and funny since I've only heard it once only

This is the most exciting part of the ceremony and eveyone cheers for them and some say KELELELELELE...just a cool and loud voice

Baleh Baleh Baleh!!! = I do, I do, I do !!!

Last edited by alitezar; April 25th, 2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #5
alitezar
A Persian Delight

A Persian bridal show in Toronto

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #6
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM   #7
alitezar
A Persian Delight

She is cute

Old April 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Crispers

Likes (Received): 0

The colors are amazing in these photos. The couples are so beautiful!! How much do Persians spend on weddings? It's so rich LOL
Crispers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #9
alitezar
A Persian Delight

Thanks a lot, weddings are very important to Persians especially all girls want it to be perfect so many people spend a lot of money on them. It's that important that if they don't have enough money they even get loan from the bank just for the wedding party and most of them are very luxurious..
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #10
persian
Persian Gulf

Likes (Received): 149

Great thread. Iranian weddings are the best.

Visit Iran forum

Alitezar's great Tehran thread

The biggest problem with Iranian people is that they don't know just how great their country can be.
persian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:23 AM   #11
QWECXZ

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitezar View Post
Some Persian Weddings Movie Clips to give you an idea of How Iranian weddings are and how they dance etc

Knife Dance (Raghse Chaghoo)- a very major part of each Persian wedding right before cutting the cake the girls dance with the knife and they don't give it to the bride & groom to cut the cake unless they give them some money..not that they need the money it's just basically to show the groom that he has to pay the price to have the lovely bride I guess

HAHA, this is the ceremony part and when the person says do you want to take the guy as your husband and the girl says Baleh.. and the word Baleh means "I do" in Persian so she says Baleh 3 times I think it's very unique and funny since I've only heard it once only

This is the most exciting part of the ceremony and eveyone cheers for them and some say KELELELELELE...just a cool and loud voice

Baleh Baleh Baleh!!! = I do, I do, I do !!!

Thank you alitezar. very informative for those who want to know about iranian wedding
QWECXZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:26 AM   #12
alitezar
A Persian Delight

You're very welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian View Post
Great thread. Iranian weddings are the best.
Yes they truly are
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Big Abdul
Spatial Arts in Tehran!

Likes (Received): 39

I am getting married here in Tehran in 10 days, and I can safely say we are not doing the normal Iranian wedding, infact didn't even invite my own mother!
Big Abdul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Koobideh

Likes (Received): 8

When I think of Iranian weddings this quote comes to mind: "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like."
Koobideh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Big Abdul
Spatial Arts in Tehran!

AHHH that is the best statement I have ever heard! But seriously my friend is doing an average wedding here in July and it seems that he has nearly broken his back in costs, just paid 20,000,000 just dor the dinner for his guests, I asked him but you earn 500,000 toman a month surely you cannot afford this, his response was (MY MOTHER IS DOING THIS TO ME)! Says it all really.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Aerithia
Dreams of Persia

Likes (Received): 74

Now that's what i call Iranian!

Also congratulations on the wedding Abdul
Aerithia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Big Abdul
Spatial Arts in Tehran!

Tashakor
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #18
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 326

Great photos! Post more please...

Iranian weddings are classy! (even if very expensive)
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #19
Surenas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

To me this is the best Iranian wedding vibe you can get:

Surenas no está en línea   Reply With Quote