daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #21
Paule

Likes (Received): 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bay 4 Life View Post
The number of floors should put it in the 220' to 240' height range you think?
Does anybody know what the height is supposed to be?
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #22
cargue

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
Does anybody know what the height is supposed to be?
I asked the Field Supt today and he said it will be right at 250'.
cargue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #23
Paule

Ah, great, thanks cargue!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM   #24
cargue

The job's coming along, we're pouring a 6' deep base for the elevator cores etc. tomorrow (Wed, Dec 2). It'll be a 1200 yard pour. I worked an 8 story with this company 3 years ago. This field Supt is probably the best that I've worked with in 29 years of construction. The building will go well.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #25
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks for the update. Pretty sweet we have someone giving us the scoop.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #26
cargue

You're welcome, EastSider. I found this site by accident while googling for info on Milwaukee construction and I like it! Right now, the job is all foundation, columns and walls. My tower crane will go up sometime in January and then I'll post some pics of the crane erection and the site.
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #27
MilwaukeeMike

Likes (Received): 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargue View Post
You're welcome, EastSider. I found this site by accident while googling for info on Milwaukee construction and I like it! Right now, the job is all foundation, columns and walls. My tower crane will go up sometime in January and then I'll post some pics of the crane erection and the site.
Everything looks good. I live right across the street and see the progress being made each day.... Keep warm though, it's going to be cold these next few days!
MilwaukeeMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #28
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
Everything looks good. I live right across the street and see the progress being made each day.... Keep warm though, it's going to be cold these next few days!
Thanx Mike. They actually knocked off Wed and Thurs. Wed for snow and today because of the wind chills. I'm lucky to have a good heater in my crane but I wouldn't want to be one of the tradesmen stuck outside in this weather.
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #29
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 242

hey carque, are these Manitowoc Cranes?
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #30
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
hey carque, are these Manitowoc Cranes?
Hi J, no not Manitowoc. We're currently using two Grove rough terrain cranes. A 75 ton and a 90 ton. Sometime in January they'll put up the tower crane, a 550 Liebherr: http://www.morrow.com/PDF/LIEBHERR%2...%20HC%2020.pdf
Then they'll ship one of the RT's out and use the other for most of the winter.

The first crane I ever ran was a Manitowoc and I love the old ones. The newer models are still nice machines but they're making all of the newer cranes idiot-proof and they aren't as much fun to run. Maybe I'm just getting old

Last edited by cargue; December 13th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #31
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

recent pic

image hosted on flickr

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #32
eMatt543

Likes (Received): 16

Finally a picture! lol thanks! I suppose there isnt much to take pictures of yet.
eMatt543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:09 AM   #33
cargue

Hi Twoaday, I'm currently running the crane on the left. They set the base for my tower crane yesterday and poured the concrete around it today. We're scheduled to erect the tower crane next Thurs (the 7th). I'll post pics of the erection, and from the cab when it's up.
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #34
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

New Interior Shots:

Art Gallery

Bistro

Press Release:
Chicago, IL (December 3, 2009) The Chicago office of international design and
architecture firm Perkins Eastman joined Saint John’s On the Lake to celebrate the
groundbreaking of a new independent living building for seniors in Milwaukee, WI.
The new 21-story, 88-unit tower designed by Perkins Eastman will energize
Milwaukee’s Prospect Avenue at the street level and offer an exciting new option in
high-rise senior living. The $46M project is expected to be complete and ready for
occupancy by mid 2011.
More than 75% of the 88 new residences have been reserved, despite a challenging
economic climate—a testament to the project’s design and many market-responsive
features. The building will offer a hospitality branded street-side café, art gallery, spa
and wellness center, classroom and community performance space—all with easy
access for future and existing residents, along with access for the community to create
an intergenerational environment. Another primary focus of the project is enhancing
staff and resident quality of life through sustainable building design, with LEED-NC
Certification or equivalence as a goal.
“During a period of tight financial markets and a national housing slump, the owner
of Saint John’s formed a multi-disciplinary team and was able to deliver an inspiring,
thoughtful, and pragmatic plan to create an innovative, healthier, greener urban
residence for aging adults in Milwaukee,” said Jerry Walleck, AIA, managing principal
of Perkins Eastman’s Chicago office. “We were honored to be a part of the process.”
“Perkins Eastman worked closely with our team to achieve our vision,” said Kathie
Eilers, President of Saint John’s On The Lake. “They truly have the ability to translate
an idea for a lifestyle into physical spaces that really excite the market.”
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #35
cargue

Hi All, We assembled the tower crane today (Wed 1-13-10) we'll reeve the hoist block and trolley lines tomorrow. The crane won't go into service until Friday after they've backfilled more around the base.

Here is a link to some pics, I hope it works: http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ue/St%20Johns/
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #36
eMatt543

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Hi All, We assembled the tower crane today (Wed 1-13-10) we'll reeve the hoist block and trolley lines tomorrow. The crane won't go into service until Friday after they've backfilled more around the base.

Here is a link to some pics, I hope it works: http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ue/St%20Johns/
Thanks for the photos!! I saw the beginnings of it last week Thursday from my building... How much did that snow fall affect you guys? Do you just brush off the equipment and continue on?
eMatt543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #37
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMatt543 View Post
Thanks for the photos!! I saw the beginnings of it last week Thursday from my building... How much did that snow fall affect you guys? Do you just brush off the equipment and continue on?
It slows things down a little, but they keep the carpenters and ironworkers going while the laborers clean things up. As the job goes on, you'll notice red blankets on the deck before a snow. They're made for snow on construction sites. They have belts sewn in with loops at the four corners so I can pick the blanket up with the crane, snow and all, take it off to the side, set it down and pick it back up by one side and dump the snow. It saves them a lot of time shoveling.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #38
Paule

You're more of a man than me cargue. I don't know if I'd be able to work in a little compartment like that while basically sitting on a pole 250' up in the air.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #39
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Such an amazing view. I've been a member of this site for quite a while now and never have I seen or read such a perspective. Thank you. Any chance you'll have the opportunity to photograph the skyline from your cab?
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #40
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

It's pretty interesting that they will have a cafe that is open to the public as well on the prospect side. Not only does that make me happy b/c that will help build on pedestrian and other activity in the area, but I'm in the eldercare industry and find it fascinating that an Independant living (well continuum of care community, since they also have assisted living and a nursing home) community would have a place where residents can interact and be in the presence of other age ranges right in their own building.

That is also especially neat for the public because the dining experiences in many of these communities can be on par with many fine restaraunts!
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote