daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #41
cargue

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
You're more of a man than me cargue. I don't know if I'd be able to work in a little compartment like that while basically sitting on a pole 250' up in the air.
Naw, not at all. The first time that I went up in one of these things I was shaking like a leaf. My older brother ran them and I would go up to see him and get experience. Being that high isn't a natural thing so it takes some getting used to. It would be like your great grandfather getting in a car at 80mph.

I really love the work. There are so many positives to it that I can't relay them all. And after you've sat in the seat for a little while and climb all over them, you lose the fear.

Mark thanx for the compliment. I took a pic of the sun coming up over Lake MI this morning. It was like the big red rubber ball. I left my camera in the crane and I won't start actually running it until Friday. But I'll get more pics of the job and the skyline and post them early next week.
cargue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #42
eMatt543

Likes (Received): 16

Is your crane one of the "climbing" models? Or, is the height of it right now going to be the height of the building?
eMatt543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #43
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMatt543 View Post
Is your crane one of the "climbing" models? Or, is the height of it right now going to be the height of the building?
Yes, it's a top climber. It's at 200 ft right now and somewhere around June, we'll tie into the building and add about 120-140 ft. I've been told how many sections, but I don't remember.
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #44
cargue

Hi Everyone,
I posted some new pics to Photobucket. Pics of the guys reeving my hoist cable, sunrise over Lake MI, the first section of deck, me pouring concrete (look closely and you'll see the two guys on the wall pouring concrete) a pic of Park Lafayette which I was on last year, and a dark pic of Milwaukee at night. I just figured out tonight how to get on to my nightime setting for my camera so I'll get better pics at night. BTW, I had a helluva view of the big fire this morning but was too busy swinging to get pics.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...hns/?start=all
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #45
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargue View Post
Hi Everyone,
I posted some new pics to Photobucket. Pics of the guys reeving my hoist cable, sunrise over Lake MI, the first section of deck, me pouring concrete (look closely and you'll see the two guys on the wall pouring concrete) a pic of Park Lafayette which I was on last year, and a dark pic of Milwaukee at night. I just figured out tonight how to get on to my nightime setting for my camera so I'll get better pics at night. BTW, I had a helluva view of the big fire this morning but was too busy swinging to get pics.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...hns/?start=all
What an incredibly sad event to personally witness from such a unique perspective. I've had friends in Columbia, South Carolina, Missoula, Montana, Minneapolis, Minnesota, San Luis Obispo, California, Green Bay, Wisconsin and Seattle, Washington all call / text me to express their sadness with regard to this tragic loss. Pizza Man is *was* quintessential East Side Milwaukee and its destruction is nothing less than calamitous. Such a baneful event is almost vindictive in its aftermath.
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM   #46
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Awesome picks cargue. Keep 'em coming.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:19 AM   #47
bjkeys321

Likes (Received): 20

Just out of curiousity, any idea when this thing will start rising above ground?
bjkeys321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM   #48
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeys321
Just out of curiousity, any idea when this thing will start rising above ground?
Sounds like sometime around June, when they start adding height to the crane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargue
Yes, it's a top climber. It's at 200 ft right now and somewhere around June, we'll tie into the building and add about 120-140 ft. I've been told how many sections, but I don't remember.
But I'm guessing likely sooner than that, so there's something to tie in to.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM   #49
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeys321 View Post
It won't be long now. The slow part is all the excavating, forming and pouring the outer walls, and then stoning the bottom to grade. I would guess that within 4-6 weeks we'll have the first two floors done. Then the tower is less square footage and all the forms, etc are typical so they plan to pour a floor per week.

By June when I jack we should be up about 12-14 floors.

And it was a sad sight to see the Pizza Man place go up in flames. They still have the area shut off from traffic. I think they want to finish the fire investigation and then knock the walls down so they don't fall into the street.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #50
cargue

We made the first deck pour today. We poured app. 1/3 of the first deck. They'll finish that one, pour the 2nd floor and then it will shrink in for the tower. Here are pics of the pour and two firemen who came up on my crane today just to check out what they would need to do in case of an emergency on the job.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/110_2023.jpg
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #51
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

^great photos! Thanks for posting.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #52
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 655

Great photos, great updates! Thanks Carque! I hope you work on all the high rise projects from here on out! :-)
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #53
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Sweet photos, this is great to have an inside view and explanation. Thanks!
Jesse276 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #54
3rd_Coast

Likes (Received): 124

The St. John's On The Lake project is featured in the January 2010 issue of Building Design & Construction.

3rd_Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #55
eMatt543

Likes (Received): 16

Makes me dizzy just looking at those photos!! You've got guts lol

Such an awesome perspective to have you on the forum!!
eMatt543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #56
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
Great photos, great updates! Thanks Carque! I hope you work on all the high rise projects from here on out! :-)
Thanx, me too! LOL!
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:40 AM   #57
cargue

Hi Everyone,

They finished pouring the 2nd deck of parking today. The 3rd is 1/3 finished and I set some column steel on that piece for the actual tower today.

I would have pictures but some fool climbed the 300' to my cab and stole my binoculars and camera two days ago! So now the cab is locked at the hatch. They can climb the 200' but it will be for naught.

I've had other people come up after hours and check out my cab before. One even left evidence of sex and a beer can at Park Lafayette, but in 30 yrs no one has ever stolen or damaged anything before now.

I'll get a new camera soon and post pics.
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #58
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Wow. Somebody climbed up into your crane? Dear lord, you'd think that would be a pretty safe place to leave somethings..

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #59
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Wow. Somebody climbed up into your crane? Dear lord, you'd think that would be a pretty safe place to leave somethings..
Yeah and there's a fence with a locked gate. But it's a college area so I should have known better. In Madison they usually build a plywood barrier around them to keep the college kids from climbing them at night.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:51 AM   #60
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargue View Post
I've had other people come up after hours and check out my cab before. One even left evidence of sex and a beer can at Park Lafayette
That's freakin' brilliant! I never would have thought that was even remotely common for people to do that, but now that you say that, it sounds like it would be quite the thrill.

*ponders the logistics of climbing a crane with a camera
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote