daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #81
bjkeys321

Likes (Received): 20

this tower provides a great filler when going east on brady street.
bjkeys321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM   #82
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

The tower is really getting tall now! Wish I had a working camera right now to show you. Anyone have a chance to get down there?
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #83
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
The tower is really getting tall now! Wish I had a working camera right now to show you. Anyone have a chance to get down there?
Un?less someone beats me to it I'll upload a pic this afternoon
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #84
D-res
BANNED

Old July 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #85
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

July 24, Update

Gloomy day but you get the point. Wanted a shot from Brady Street but the festival was going on and I did not want to park the car a ways a way and walk. That would be the best in-fill shot looking east from Brady. I think there are 3-4 more floors to add and it will be topped off. Now if we could get the Transerra project built this view would look even more amazing.

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #86
cargue

Likes (Received): 45

Hi Guys and Gals,
Sorry I've been AWOL. Life's been really nuts with working O.T. and I have a startup new country band so my life has been hectic.
The job is going really well. No injuries that I'm aware of and we've been pouring a floor per week. Two weeks ago we poured Mon and Fri since the rain messed up our schedule and they wanted to get back on track. We normally pour Thursdays.
If you look at the recent pics you'll notice that the top two floors look different. They're tables: forms that are premade that we fly into place all around the outside then fill the middle with Peri skydeck forms which are a european forming system with props and pans. I use a large fork that looks similiar to a tuning fork to move the tables. I swing in and pick up the table. Then they raise the legs and I slide it out and bring it up top. Then they drop the legs back down and I set it in place.
We normally fly a few tables around mid-afternoon on Thurs and the rest mid-morning on Friday. I'll try to get a few pics.
I set precast on Saturdays which makes a nice slow day. We normally set 8-9 pieces and I have a nice break and hold it while they weld it in place. The smaller precast panels weigh about 9000# and the larger ones are 22000#.
We'll pour the 21st floor on Thursday, then the roof the following Thurs. (weather providing). After that they'll put a structural steel machinery room on top and I'll spend some time swinging all the forms and materials to the ground. Then they'll have to sort and stack them, band them up and ship them out. I'll also have roofers coming in for a few days and after that I'll be setting precast during the week. I expect the crane to finish around November. BTW. we've jacked my crane and I now have 320' of tower with 20' of it below ground level so I'm 300' above the ground. I have 208' of workin jib and the crane will lift 44000# in close and 18000# at the tip.
cargue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #87
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1240

Driving east on Brady.....You can see the top floor difference as Carque explains in his post. Sorry for the gray pics but it was overcast and I was driving into the morning sun.

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #88
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

COOL!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #89
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 242

thanks for the lowdown...or....highup, whichever works, Carque!

thanks for the pics boatnurd!
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #90
cargue

Hi Again,
We poured the 21st floor deck, walls and colums today. Only concrete left is the roof next week. I posted some pics of the flying form tables, the fork we use to move them etc. They're on photobucket at this URL:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ue/St%20Johns/
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #91
Coldwake

So why would they do the top two floors differently then the rest? Is there a benefit to the precast sections? If so, why not do the whole thing that way?
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #92
cargue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
So why would they do the top two floors differently then the rest? Is there a benefit to the precast sections? If so, why not do the whole thing that way?
The top two floors aren't really done differently, it's just that the top two floors still have the form tables in them. They fly the 2nd highest floors tables up to the top and then put post shores in the spot they came out of to support the deck until it's fully cured. So the tables on the top 2 floors keep leap-frogging each other and get replaced by post shores. You will normally see tables on the top 2 floors and post shores 3 or 4 floors down until the concrete has cured for a few weeks and then they pull the post shores out and let the interior work begin on that floor.

This pic shows a table being flown into place. You will notice that the interior pan decking is already in place. (That only takes a couple of hours to install) The two guys by the table are helping to guide it into place and it will set right up against the interior decking that's already in place. Then it all gets tied together with strips of plywood, the rebar, electrical and plumbing go on top and then they pour it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...2101527-00.jpg
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #93
cargue

Also, none of the deck is precast, it's all poured into place. The advantage of the tables is that 1) It's quicker and 2) it allows them to leave a cantilevered section around the outside edge so the workers have a way of walking around the wet concrete. You'll see in that photo that the concrete deck doesn't come out on the edge as far as the tables do.

There is a good deal of precast panels that get placed as outside skin. For whatever reason, there is no precast on the south side, it's mainly on the West and North sides of the building. I have been setting that on Saturdays and will for the next 2 or 3 weeks. Once the concrete crew is finished with the crane I will set that during the week for 6 or 7 days then the precast will be finished.
We still have to pour the roof (22nd deck) and then a structural steel penthouse will go on top. I'll have to hoist the roofers material, the HVAC supplies and get all the tables, etc. down. So I expect the crane to come down around November.

I'll attach more pics. The first pic shows the deck. You'll see the gaps between the tables that they fill in with plywood as well as the gaps between the tables and pan decking. It also shows one of the sheer wall forms. The red iron is the form system for the wall. There are 3 concrete sheer walls and an elevator core on each deck and they all have a hydraulic jacking system to save crane time.
The 2nd pic is one of the precast concrete panels that I set on the outside as skin or siding.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...01541-00-1.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...4101149-00.jpg
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #94
Coldwake

Ah, I get it now! Thanks!
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #95
cargue

We pour the roof tomorrow! (Friday 8/20/10) The elevator core will need one more lift and there will be a structural steel penthouse/machinery room on the top deck.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #96
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

i was kayaking up in milwaukee yesterday and this tower has a big impact on the east side skyline when seen from out on the lake. i didn't have my camera with me, so no pics unfortunately, but it did appear bigger than i was expecting it to be.

Last edited by Steely Dan; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Steely Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #97
D-res
BANNED

Taken about five minutes ago
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #98
cargue

We finished setting the precast yesterday and today we started setting the structural steel for the penthouse/machinery room.
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #99
MarqKev

Likes (Received): 237

Any updates for those of us who are out of town? Have they sealed the building? Just working on interiors?
MarqKev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #100
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqKev View Post
Any updates for those of us who are out of town? Have they sealed the building? Just working on interiors?
I'll get a picture soon. The exterior is nearly finished. Only the top of the building is incomplete. I drive past the site many, many times per week and the lower floors are often lit-up, presumably with interior work. I was driving back to riverwst from bayview over the Hoan on Friday night and this building adds some excellent-looking, dense infill on the gold coast.