daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #201
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Sorry, I meant 100m.

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #202
Aka

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
I actully think that the discussion of a second home is kind of pointless.

But booring? Since when? Calcio is one of the most intriguing forms of football. And i honestly think Serie A is the best overall. La Liga is great football, but a 2 team fight between Real and Barca. And the crowd sucks.
Bundesliga has great crowds, but the football sucks most of the time.

Serie A is better overall in my opinon.

Less and less spectators?
No, thats not true. They had a couple of down years, but now it's getting better and better.
Of course the discussion of a second home is pointless.

You're Italian, right? Honestly, Serie A is no way near what it was 15 years ago. From overall opinions, Serie A is nowadays kinda boring. And if in Spain it's a two team bout, for years Serie A as been a one team league.

And the truth is that when Italian teams play in Europe they look so surpassed by other powerhouses. They don't have the same rythm, the same playing quality, etc. I can't say Italy is going through a golden age and its image became even worse since CalcioCaos.
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #203
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
If that's the case (and from what I see from that picture), although they can lift the roof it'll have to be a bit larger, since that third tier will also make the stadium larger.
Actually, the proposal is to dig down, since the existing lower stand is considered further from the pitch than desired. I don't believe they've done the solid logistics of this design, but that's the proposal I've seen matched with the picture above.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #204
Aka

Hum.... I see. But, there's a tunnel below the stadium.
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #205
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

And, that picture that I showed you was photoshoped by a member of SSC. All Dutch media used it.
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #206
HendrX

Likes (Received): 29

This is the reason why belgium and holland should get the WC
HendrX no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #207
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Good luck using that as the central argument in your bid's final presentation. Not sure it'll have quite the same impact as Rio 2016's map!
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #208
herb21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Good luck using that as the central argument in your bid's final presentation. Not sure it'll have quite the same impact as Rio 2016's map!
I think that map will work even better for cape town 2020
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #209
Aka

About joint bids...

Quote:
"NO RESTA POSIBILIDADES QUE PIENSEN JUNTOS EN EL MUNDIAL"

Blatter: "Sabemos de la solvencia del proyecto conjunto de España y Portugal"
"Sé que los españoles se quejaron en la pasada Copa de las Confederaciones del mal estado de algunos campos, pero seguro que estarán perfectos para el Mundial"

Joseph Blatter, presidente de la FIFA, afirmó que el hecho de que España haya presentado una candidatura con Portugal para organizar el Mundial 2018 ó 2022, "no le resta posibilidades".

"Reconozco que en el pasado, sobre todo después de la mala experiencia del Mundial de Corea y Japón en 2002, desaconsejamos que hubiera candidaturas conjuntas, pero esto ha cambiado porque sabemos de la solvencia del proyecto de España y Portugal", comentó Blatter.

En cuanto a la organización de Sudáfrica 2010, afirmó a EFE que "todo marcha bien". "Sé que los españoles se quejaron en la pasada Copa de las Confederaciones del mal estado de algunos campos, pero seguro que estarán perfectos para el Mundial".

Source

Translation:

Joseph Blatter, FIFA's President, said that the fact that Spain has submitted a bid with Portugal to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, "does not reduce its possibilities."

"I recognize that in the past, especially after the bad experience of the World Cup in Korea and Japan in 2002, we discouraged joint candidacies, but this has changed because we know the creditworthiness of Spain and Portugal's project," said Blatter.
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #210
Fobos2030

Likes (Received): 3192

message from poxuy:

Quote:
Russia 2018/2022 Bid Committee at Soccerex 09

The Russia 2018/2022 Bid Committee will sponsor the "Red Square Lounge", a networking Café at Soccerex 09 in Johannesburg.

The Russian bid, which has already received praise from the FIFA President, will be in a position to promote itself to some of the most influential figures in the international football community including FIFA Executive Committee members Franz Beckenbauer, Rafael Salguero, Ricardo Teixeira and Jack Warner. The presence of the Red Square Lounge at the heart of the Soccerex exhibition will give the bid committee the opportunity to highlight Russia's quest to host its first ever World Cup.

Alexey Sorokin, CEO of both the Football Union of Russia and the 2018/2022 Bid Committee commented: "The 'Red Square Lounge' refers to Russia's most iconic place while also conveying a sophisticated, cosmopolitan feeling that is representative of today's Russia. Having such a visible presence at Soccerex will be an integral part of our promotional activity to present and explain the unique features of the Russian bid and help us to secure the attention of the key decision makers in football."

Soccerex 09 will run from 28 November to 2 December in Johannesburg, South Africa.
http://www.russia2018-2022.com/en/ne...-soccerex.aspx[/QUOTE]
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #211
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Portugal/Spain
corredor06 no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #212
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Russia's bid might have taken a hit due to failing to qualify for 2010...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #213
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

erm how does that work out?

Missing out is by-the-by they are a big football country with intent, and anyway they missed out on a technicality (away goals, worst rule ever) and the fact that /UEFA doesn't know how to seed groups properly... they would've qualified out of every other section which shows how unfair the world cup really is.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #214

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
...You're Italian, right? Honestly, Serie A is no way near what it was 15 years ago. From overall opinions, Serie A is nowadays kinda boring. And if in Spain it's a two team bout, for years Serie A as been a one team league.

And the truth is that when Italian teams play in Europe they look so surpassed by other powerhouses. They don't have the same rythm, the same playing quality, etc. I can't say Italy is going through a golden age and its image became even worse since CalcioCaos.
No, I'm not italian. Then I wouldn't write nearly as good english as I do.

Sure, it isn't as dominating as in the past, but it is still big and keeps getting bigger. The top clubs keep making very smart moves on good players so the teams are improving. Just look at Juventus.

Sure, Inter has been dominating, but that is about to change. I'd say that Juve or Sampdoria is going to win this year.

Surpassed? No... Sure, they don't play the extraordinary football of Barcelona, but then again they still keep on winning their games, and getting the points.
Look at the Champions; Inter in top, Rubin kazan as second and Barcelona in third...

And people seem to forget that Milan won the Champions League two years ago...
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #215
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Article from English paper Independent with their version of chances:

Quote:
How the World Cup bid rivals compare

Which spin doctors could swing the votes, who are the favourites, and which outsiders have the other nations worried?

England

Has the stadiums, infrastructure and global interest in its domestic game. Last hosted longer ago (1966) than any other major European football nation. But any hint of "divine right" would be damaging, so the 2018 team are steering well clear of any such message. Ticks all the boxes to host a huge event within weeks, let alone nine years. Average odds on winning 2018 world Cup: 2-1

Russia

Has never held the event, which is an emotional pull (think Rio for the 2016 Olympics) and bid is supported vocally by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. No expense spared in campaigning for the event. Security is a concern, so too the geographical spread of venues. Having no team at the 2010 World Cup will be a minor setback, a lost opportunity for showcasing on-field change. Russia has a key asset in its main spin doctor, Andreas Herren, who joined after holding the top PR role for years at Fifa, where he is well connected. Odds: 4-1

Portugal & Spain

Who doesn't like the idea of a sunny Iberian tournament with two of the grandest cathedrals – the Bernabeu and the Nou Camp – at centre stage? This bid will get the automatic support of the South American Conmebol bloc. However, dual bids still do not sit entirely comfortably with the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter. Odds: 7-2

Netherlands & Belgium

The European outsiders, who co-hosted a major event as recently as 2000. Playing catch-up with facilities and global support. Odds: 20-1

United States

Will mount a strong technical bid with huge financial rewards for Fifa, as in 1994, since when they have developed their pro league, the MLS. Will probably struggle to oust Europe as the hosts in 2018 purely because of Uefa's eight votes. The US has big, fan-friendly stadiums, plus the backing of President Barack Obama. Odds: 25-1

Australia

Dark horses from a genuinely sport-mad nation. They are employing top-class spin doctor Peter Hargitay, the fantastically connected Swiss-Hungarian former adviser to Blatter. A character for whom the adjective "colourful" could have been invented. Google him. Odds: 3-1

Indonesia

Bidding on a development mantra but lacks facilities, infrastructure and any widespread support. Odds: 40-1

Japan

Co-hosted a friendly, efficient trouble-free 2002 World Cup, and therein lies the problem – too recent host. Odds: 20-1

South Korea

Only running for 2022 event. Problem: co-hosted the competition recently, in 2002). Odds (for 2022): Unavailable

Qatar

The crowd atmosphere at England against Brazil was nil. The heat is stifling. But petrodollars and geopolitics go far. Also boasts another of sport's sultans of spin: Mike Lee, a former Premier League spokesman who helped London and Rio win the Olympics. Odds (for 2022): Unavailable.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...e-1823935.html
poxuy no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #216
Aka

So the Australian bid odds are bigger than Russia's? Yeah, right...
Aka no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #217
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Well, if that's where the money's going...
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #218
poxuy
BANNED

Quote:
Caborn: Russia main rivals to England 2018 bid

England's 2018 World Cup bid ambassador Richard Caborn MP has called for total unity among the bid team and revealed to ESPN Soccernet that Russia are England's main rivals to host the tournament.

Caborn is Prime Minister Gordon's Brown envoy on the bid team and helped select the team's senior members. The former Sports Minister believes Russia are breathing down England's neck in the race to host the World Cup and the English need a unifying presence - in the form of international striker-turned-TV presenter Gary Lineker - to steer the bid back on course.

"Everyone wants to win the bid. No one wants to win it more than I do," Caborn told ESPN Soccernet. "If it means drawing a line under all the internal squabbling, letting bygones be bygones, and for people to bite the bullet a little bit, then we should all do so for the good of the bid.

"Otherwise, if we don't all come together, our rivals will use it to their advantage to try to show the world that we shouldn't stage the World Cup in 2018, and I don't want that to happen.

"From what I hear, at the highest level I am told there is not much support for Spain, that Australia are outsiders, but that Russian are the real threat to England.

"The Russians are showing a unified front. They are playing hard on the fact that they have never staged a World Cup tournament before, and that if they did it would develop football in the entire Eastern Bloc.

"The reasons they are putting forward are similar to the ones behind South Africa's successful bid, and they are being very pro-active in what they are planning for grassroots football on the back of winning the bid.

"To stop them, we have to show FIFA that we have the best bid, that we are all behind it, and if there have been problems that we have overcome them."

Caborn has been invited onto local radio in Sheffield on Thursday morning, when he will be backing Sheffield's nomination to be one of the host cities for the World Cup.

Caborn has been one of the outspoken critics of the FA's handling of England 2018 bid board and, having been ousted from the board meetings, even as an observer, he has more reason than most to criticise members of the team. But instead of continuing the fall-out, he is making suggestions to help win the bid.

"When Seb Coe (ambassador to the successful 2012 London Olympic Games bid) was called in for the Olympics, he made a major impact, and I think Gary Lineker can do the same," Caborn said. "He can be football's Seb Coe in this bid. He is a communicator, and I know he would show interest despite all his commitments because I went to the trouble of taking some soundings some time ago.

"Sir Bobby Charlton fronted the 2006 bid that failed, and I think we need a modern-day Sir Bobby, and Gary Lineker is made for the job. He would help unify the bid, as he is popular with the media and would be a popular choice.

"Despite all that has been going on behind the scenes, if David Triesman walked through my door tomorrow, I would welcome him and tell him I would continue to do everything I can to help him win the bid, but that he has got to get the bid right."

On Tuesday, board member Sir Dave Richards resigned and caused another reason for FIFA to wonder what is going on behind the scenes of England's bid.

But Caborn, who knows Richards well, told ESPN Soccernet: "It ended up that Dave did not have a job with other appointments being made, and he resigned. I could go into graphic detail, but the point is that the FA need to be more inclusive. Most importantly, though, we must all back this bid.

"I can tell you everyone is 101% trying to win the bid. We just all need to come together to find a way of working together. It is time for everything else to cease."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...up2010&cc=5739

Also, Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards quits English campaign board amid latest bout of infighting with Lord Triesman.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #219
poxuy
BANNED

Australian version of chances :

Quote:
World Cup Bidders - How They Stand

ENGLAND: Have the stadia, infrastructure and profile, but the bid team have recently been troubled by political infighting and resignations, most recently the departure from the board of Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards this week.

Star turn: David Beckham

SPAIN/PORTUGAL: Powerful opponents to England if FIFA decide to allow joint bids. Sepp Blatter was reported to have initially rejected a joint bid because of 'double' costs, but last month he spoke of how "honoured" he was when the respective Spanish and Portuguese association heavyweights personally made their way to FIFA HQ in Zurich to discuss the bid.

Star turn: Luis Figo

RUSSIA: Heavyweight bid in political terms as they can bring a vast amount of influence to bear. Russia have also never hosted a major football tournament and FIFA's rotation policy will most likely see a European country hosting the 2018 finals. Vast distances to contend with though - there are nine separate time zones and the struggles of Ukraine and Poland to prepare for Euro 2012 cannot help.

Star turn: Vladimir Putin

HOLLAND/BELGIUM: Another candidate waiting to see what unfolds regarding joint bids. Can at least demonstrate they worked well together to put on Euro 2000 and have the facilities but perhaps not the glamour of England and Spain/Portugal. They are organised and united though, unveiling their 12 potential cities a full month before England.

Star turn: Johann Cruyff

USA: Strong candidate - but for 2022 rather than 2018. Hosted the tournament fairly recently, in 1994, but that was judged a great success and FIFA remember fondly the television and marketing opportunities. Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid was recently rejected, which could affect a World Cup bid either way.

Star turn: Barack Obama

AUSTRALIA: Best of the candidates from the Asian confederation and the most likely destination if 2018 does not go to Europe. Can point to the fact that it would be a new territory for the World Cup, something that FIFA likes, plus is a sport-crazy nation with good infrastructure, and has a history of hosting successful sporting events such as the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

Star turn: Frank Lowy, tycoon turned Football Federation Australia chairman

INDONESIA: Surprise entrants and rank outsiders with little heritage, infrastructure and influence of which to boast. The country does have a huge population of 235million and the Bung Karno Stadium in Jakarta has a capacity of 88,000. Have said they would prefer a 2022 bid for a more environmentally friendly 'Green' World Cup, which will certainly turn a few heads nearer the time.

Star turn: Rita Subowo - Indonesia's leading sports official and member of the International Olympic Committee.

JAPAN: Recent hosts, in 2002 jointly with Korea, and would undoubtedly be another commercial and administrative success. But at the moment are distant outsiders with little political influence, and surely cannot be chosen again so soon when so many other countries have not hosted the finals for decades, or indeed ever.

Star turn: Motoaki Inukai, president of the Japanese FA.

SOUTH KOREA (for 2022 only): Like Japan, have recently been hosts, and have the infrastructure. Forced FIFA into accepting them as joint hosts for 2002 by garnering significant support but their star has waned somewhat.

Star turn: FIFA vice-president Chung Mong Joon.

QATAR (for 2022 only): Following up their hopeless attempt for the 2016 Olympics by trying their luck for the World Cup. Still have not answered the question about how players would deal with the extreme heat in June/July - apart from one idea about an underground stadium. The atmosphere generated at the recent Brazil v England friendly was nil.

Star turn: Mike Lee, the spin doctor who masterminded London and Rio winning their respective Olympic bids is now spearheading Qatar's World Cup bid.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/11760...hey-stand.aspx

Quote:
Vast distances to contend with though - there are nine separate time zones and the struggles of Ukraine and Poland to prepare for Euro 2012 cannot help.
Probably FourFourTwo didn't still see the cities-candidates of Russian bid. This is not the first time, when uninformed sources talking about "vast distances" as a problem of Russian bid . About second part: yes, Ukrainian preparations are horrible, but Russia is a country, where major events are supported and controlled by very responsible organisators, who know their job. CL Final 2008, Eurovision 2009, and very good organised preparations for Sochi 2014 are good examples.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #220
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
Australian version of chances :

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/11760...hey-stand.aspx

Probably FourFourTwo didn't still see the cities-candidates of Russian bid. This is not the first time, when uninformed sources talking about "vast distances" as a problem of Russian bid . About second part: yes, Ukrainian preparations are horrible, but Russia is a country, where major events are supported and controlled by very responsible organisators, who know their job. CL Final 2008, Eurovision 2009, and very good organised preparations for Sochi 2014 are good examples.
442 is always full of shit.
Wezza no está en línea  

Closed Thread