daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #361
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Beat you
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #362
waqif
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
To be fair, Mystery Mike is one of the biggest trolls of the lot. It's just that he's batting for "our" side, so to speak. Certainly, what Trelawney wrote wasn't nearly as trollish as his persistent denigration of both the Russian and Qatar bids and his "retard" comment to waqif.

So he's hardly in any position to get on his high horse about Trelawney's tongue in cheek comment. People in glass houses.....
he is burning of anger and losing his controll lol
waqif no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #363
RobH

Likes (Received): 10348

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Just watched the FIFA Press conference
Sepp looked extremely uncomfortable.
-Mention of 2 or more bids being investigated re collusion

We just could be set for the biggest sham in FIFAs history
Depends what happens re: the bids under investigation....it's still not over yet.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #364
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Depends what happens re: the bids under investigation....it's still not over yet.
Absolutely.Its gunna open a can of worms here that will reflect badly on half the bids

As long as Australia keeps its nose clean I'll be happy
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #365
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 260

FIFA today announced the order of the presentations by the 2018 and 2022 bidders to the Executive Committee.

It was drawn during at the meeting.

On Dec.1, Australia will give their presentation at 14.00 CET, Korea Republic at 15.00, Qatar at 16.00, the USA at 17.00 and Japan at 18.00.

On Dec.2, Belgium/Netherlands will give their presentation at 09.00, Spain/Portugal at 10.00, England at 11.00 and Russia at 12.00.

Each 30-minute presentation will be made at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich.

All presentations will be broadcast live on FIFA.com and at the “Messe Zurich”.

Some bids will see how to present in front of FIFA. There will have some strategic actions. The goal is to convince the FIFA exco members. Emotion will be the key about presentations.
Influential personalities and stars such as David Cameron, Vladimir Putin, Bill Clinton and others will have an impact for the final vote.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #366
JimB

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
FIFA today announced the order of the presentations by the 2018 and 2022 bidders to the Executive Committee.

It was drawn during at the meeting.

On Dec.1, Australia will give their presentation at 14.00 CET, Korea Republic at 15.00, Qatar at 16.00, the USA at 17.00 and Japan at 18.00.

On Dec.2, Belgium/Netherlands will give their presentation at 09.00, Spain/Portugal at 10.00, England at 11.00 and Russia at 12.00.

Each 30-minute presentation will be made at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich.

All presentations will be broadcast live on FIFA.com and at the “Messe Zurich”.

Some bids will see how to present in front of FIFA. There will have some strategic actions. The goal is to convince the FIFA exco members. Emotion will be the key about presentations.
Influential personalities and stars such as David Cameron, Vladimir Putin, Bill Clinton and others will have an impact for the final vote.
Slight advantage to Russia and USA, I'd say. They both get to present their bids last *. Always good to be fresh in the minds of the voters.

* I'm making the assumption that Japan isn't a credible choice for 2002, having hosted so recently.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #367
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
England, obviously!
do you really want to see englands next defeat against germany
in the first row ?
Pfeuffer no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #368
RobH

It seems Blatter's more upset by the fact that FIFA were caught out, than he is by the corruption within his own ranks:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Blatter was less forthright on the issue of corruption in the bidding procedure, brought about by allegations made by the Sunday Times newspaper that two members of FIFA's executive committee were selling their votes.

Blatter called the move by the British newspaper "entrapment", and criticised the methods used by the Sunday Times: "Fair play shouldn't be just on the pitch... why would an English newspaper do that?"

There was no statement from Blatter on the issue of corruption in the game, nor did he comment on measures to clean up FIFA's image if the allegations were proven true.

Blatter directed attention to FIFA's Ethics Committee when asked if the public could expect to see a "clean vote" for the World Cup hosts. They will meet on November 15, 16 and 17 to look further into the allegations.

Link

Perhaps we'll see a more credible news source than Classic FM picking up and commenting on this in the next day or so. But I'm amazed he's taking that line publically. I don't remember the IOC being publically hostile towards the BBC after they did the same thing to a Bulgarian IOC member during the 2012 bid process. Slightly worrying to be honest...
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #369
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
To be fair, Mystery Mike is one of the biggest trolls of the lot. It's just that he's batting for "our" side, so to speak. Certainly, what Trelawney wrote wasn't nearly as trollish as his persistent denigration of both the Russian and Qatar bids and his "retard" comment to waqif.

So he's hardly in any position to get on his high horse about Trelawney's tongue in cheek comment. People in glass houses.....
Yes it was just a little poke lol. Why would I create genocide for no reason? I was saying "nuke" as to take them out with the competition. Thus Russia should take out England from the competition because they have better stadiums.

It was a very hard decision for me but I will have to line up with Russia 2018. Mostly because of the new stadiums and it would be their first time hosting. I think a world cup would be good for the country to improve relations between former rivals and to clear racism images from south americans, asians and africans. Plus we see english stadiums every saturday anyway.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #370
_X_

Quote:
It seems Blatter's more upset by the fact that FIFA were caught out, than he is by the corruption within his own ranks:

Blatter was less forthright on the issue of corruption in the bidding procedure, brought about by allegations made by the Sunday Times newspaper that two members of FIFA's executive committee were selling their votes.

Blatter called the move by the British newspaper "entrapment", and criticised the methods used by the Sunday Times: "Fair play shouldn't be just on the pitch... why would an English newspaper do that?"

There was no statement from Blatter on the issue of corruption in the game, nor did he comment on measures to clean up FIFA's image if the allegations were proven true.

Blatter directed attention to FIFA's Ethics Committee when asked if the public could expect to see a "clean vote" for the World Cup hosts. They will meet on November 15, 16 and 17 to look further into the allegations.

Link

Perhaps we'll see a more credible news source than Classic FM picking up and commenting on this in the next day or so. But I'm amazed he's taking that line publically. I don't remember the IOC being publically hostile towards the BBC after they did the same thing to a Bulgarian IOC member during the 2012 bid process. Slightly worrying to be honest...
I discussed this very point earlier elsewhere and we reckon there is no way the Sepp will support England now.
I know he was set to vote Russia anyway but I've got to say he was particularly edgy at that press conference.
My bet is that FIFA will take the easy option and keep the current suspensions in place,and that is all.
In their mind they can't afford to upset Qatar or Spain.Its particularly short sighted as there will be a huge backlash if both Australia and England don't even make the final round of voting
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #371
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The whole organisation and system is corrupt.If England dont get it, i am grateful that our newspapers have exposed blatter and his odious pals for the crooked rats they are **** FIFA!
Mr Trebus no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #372
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7065

Now Spain goes on the attack with England's bid trailing in Russia's wake

• CEO of Spain 2018 bid accuses England of 'launching garbage'
• Fifa will not reschedule decision day despite voting scandal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...2018-world-cup

A new front was opened up in the row over the 2018 World Cup bids when Spain's Miguel Angel Lopez said England is trying to influence the voters by making allegations of collusion.

One of the rival bidders is "launching garbage against Spain and Portugal", Lopez, the chief executive of the Iberian bid, told Gestiona Radio in Spain. "What a coincidence that all of this comes out of England," he added, referring to British press reports of alleged collusion between Spain/Portugal and the Qatar team bidding for 2022.

He accused England of doing a deal with the United States in breach of Fifa regulations, referring to comments from the England 2018 international president, David Dein, who predicted the US wouldpull out of the 2018 race in favour of 2022.

"This is all very strange. On 28 September [Dein] held a press conference in which he said they were sure it would not be long before the US withdrew from the fight for 2018," he said. "This gentleman must be telepathic or a prophet because the US did not pull out until 15 October. That isn't an agreement? When I see this I have to have suspicions."

England's bid team, who are unlikely to complain to Fifa over Lopez's comments, will have to come from behind to overtake their Russian rivals who appear increasingly confident they will win the right to host the 2018 World Cup, as Fifa today confirmed the vote will go ahead on 2 December as planned.

Following a two-day meeting, the first since corruption allegations led to two of the 24 executive committee members being suspended, the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, said the vote would carry on regardless with no concessions.

Blatter admitted that holding the contests for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups simultaneously, taken to maximise sponsorship revenue but with the spin-off benefit of giving him maximum leverage for his re-election campaign next spring, was a mistake. "I have to assume the responsibility and I think it was not the right thing to do," Blatter said. "I was convinced at the time it was the right decision."

The Fifa ethics committee is also investigating allegations against four Fifa officials and the rumours of vote trading between two bidders, thought to be Spain-Portugal and Qatar. It will not report until 17 November, two weeks before the vote.

Those who hoped the revelations might spark wholesale changes at Fifa similar to those instituted by the International Olympic Committee in the wake of the Salt Lake City scandal look set to be disappointed. "One can ask whether it is appropriate for newspapers and journalists to set traps for people," Blatter said. "I come back to what we have discussed today – if you were in that situation, how would you act?"

A proposal to postpone the vote for the 2022 World Cup was discounted and both will go ahead as planned on 2 December as a secret ballot requiring a simple majority to win. If the Nigerian Amos Adamu and Oceania representative Reynald Temarii, provisionally suspended following newspaper allegations that they offered to sell their vote, are permanently excluded, it will go ahead with 22 ballots. That will not suit England, who will probably rely to a greater extent than their rivals on votes from outside Europe.

A week in Zurich characterised by a sense of nervous uncertainty was overtaken by a sideshow spat between England and a Russian bid increasingly seen as the favourite for 2018. There was a danger that some executive committee members would see England's complaint as a petty intervention at a time when Fifa was facing a potential existential crisis.

But in the wake of a crass intervention by the honorary president of the Russian Football Union, Vyacheslav Koloskov, both sides were happy to breathe a sigh of relief and call it a draw following an apology from the bid chairman, Vitaly Mutko.

It is all likely to be forgotten by the crucial final week of the race, which now looks set to turn into a circus to rival the IOC's set pieces. England are hoping to persuade the prime minister, David Cameron, David Beckham and Prince William to attend while Vladimir Putin is likely to go into bat for Russia.

The presentations will be spread across two days, with the 2022 bidders Australia, South Korea, Qatar, the US and Japan making their final push on 1 December, and Holland-Belgium, Spain-Portugal, England and Russia following in that order on the morning of2 December.

England can take heart from the fact the race will almost certainly go to the wire, with the final days and hours among the most important. Nor can Spain's joint bid with Portugal be discounted entirely.

The corruption allegations continued to hang over Fifa all week. There were reports of tensions as members began to eye one another with renewed suspicion. The England bid team had an encouraging summer, with an inspection visit that underscored its strengths and a feeling that progress was being made in wooing the electorate with its case for using the World Cup to fund development programmes around the world.

But it seems increasingly clear that the message sold by the Russian bid is more seductive to many executive committee members. "England could host the World Cup tomorrow. But we have a vision and Fifa has a philosophy that is about trying to grow in new parts of the world," Mutko said following his breakfast diplomacy.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #373
RobH

Quote:
"This is all very strange. On 28 September [Dein] held a press conference in which he said they were sure it would not be long before the US withdrew from the fight for 2018," he said. "This gentleman must be telepathic or a prophet because the US did not pull out until 15 October. That isn't an agreement? When I see this I have to have suspicions."
This makes me extremely angry. What a complete prat.

FIRSTLY...

Perhaps, just perhaps, Dein had been speaking to Platini who on 13th September, when asked if the Americans would pull out said:

"I am sure of this. If the Americans are going to stand a chance of winning in 2022, they can't come to the table in 2018 as well."

Platini knew the Americans were pulling out almost two weeks before Dein's press conference, it was a poorly kept secret within FIFA circles; if Spain's bid didn't know about this, or thought it not worth asking Platini why he said what he said, that's their problem. Dein's words alone do not provide any proof that England was involved in vote collusion. They are simply a rehash of what Platini had said publically two weeks before.

So, Mr Lopez SHUT THE **** UP if you've nothing useful to say. England should complain to FIFA because this suggestion is DEFINITELY in breach of the bidding rules. How dare he make such accusations with no evidence, when there is a much more obvious and innocent explanation for England's knowledge of the US' withdrawl staring him in the face. It's quite clear to me there's only one bid "launching garbage" against a rival and that's the Iberian one.

It should be simple as far as I'm concerned. Mr Lopez should either make his thoughts official by going to the ethics committee or expect a VERY strong complaint from England 2018, which they'd be well within their rights to do. Sadly, I suspect after yesterday's words from Blatter the England bid team has little confidence in the ethics committee, so won't bother. It's a shame that England feels they have more to lose by complaining about slanderous words than by using the official channels, and it says everything you need to know about this shabby process.

SECONDLY....

The Times uncovered evidence of possible vote collusion between your bid and Qatar's. Deal with it. It's not England or England's bid which is launching an attack on your bid Mr Lopez, but one newspaper WHICH HAPPENS TO BE FROM ENGLAND. And furthermore, the evidence is not uncompelling, so saying ""What a coincidence that all of this comes out of England" makes you look as dumb as a bag of wet mice.

The Times did not set out to snare Spain/Portugal 2018 over any other bid. They were looking into FIFA corruption and it just so happens Spain's bid seems to be involved. I'm actually quite certain that if evidence against England's bid had come to light they would have still run with the story.

THIRDLY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trebus View Post
**** FIFA!
At this moment, Mr Trebus I couldn't agree more.

A world cup here would be great, but the process has been a turn off - the opposite of the 2012 Olympic vote in fact, when the prospect of the Games coming to Britain got more not less exciting as time went on, until we reached the crescedo of the final few days.

At the moment I really can't be arsed, and suspect the vote will be less of a crescendo towards the announcement, and more a discordant din of claims and counter-claims which continue for days afterwards.

The whole process has been a sham, a shoddy excuse for an international bidding contest. FIFA have moved the goalposts more than once, FIFA execs have been uncovered trying to sell their votes, the rules were NOT made public prior to the contest (only the bidding nations knew the rules and were under strict instructions not to disclose them), the response to claims of corruption seems inadequate and likely to harm England's prospects without any good reason (compare this to how the IOC dealt with the BBC's investigation in 2004). I'm actually wondering whether an intimate eight year partnership with FIFA, Blatter et al could do English football more harm than good.

Last edited by RobH; October 30th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #374
ekat99

Likes (Received): 653

Go Russia!!
ekat99 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #375
WFInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4447

Vitaly Mutko in interview:
Quote:
- Your opinion about the scandal in the FIFA relating to corruption in the ranks of the executive committee?

- It's a challenge for the football authorities. Clearly, that journalists are preparing these scandalous publications - they have to show that some of the bids are honest and others are not. This should not affect our chances. This sunday, "Sunday Times" will publish a new investigation results, which will already touches Russia. They need to throw a shadow on our country. But we did nothing, behave properly, respecting all requests and are not going to attack anyone. It makes no sense. We just need to do our best job. Now it is difficult to predict the votes of the FIFA Executive Committee members. We have a perfect proposal - 12 cities that will receive the comprehensive development.
http://news.sportbox.ru/video/teleca...stru?playeri=2
WFInsider no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #376
RobH

Quote:
This sunday, "Sunday Times" will publish a new investigation results
Is this referring to tomorrow, or is this an old interview?
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #377
WFInsider
BANNED

More about "England against Russia" complaint.

Quote:
- The mass media extensively discussed the fact that you apologized to the British bid committee, and they withdrew the complaint to FIFA on the Russian side. How was it?

- Yes, I even read that some document was sent to London. In fact, everything was much simpler: we met with representatives of the British bid committee and had a very good talk. We have generally good relations. I said that to pay attention to every statement in the press totally worth it. And if the British considered invalid any statements of our officials, I am ready to apologize, especially because none of them were set out to make an insult in the direction of London.

I perfectly understand, and eventually we came to the joint conclusion that the complaint and the proceedings are not necessary to anyone. And I have already asked my own colleagues to make any statements in the press very carefully.
http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2010-10-30/1_2/
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #378
WFInsider
BANNED

Quote:
Is this referring to tomorrow, or is this an old interview?
It was today. So, he said about October, 31.
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #379
RobH

Wow, possibly more revelations, they're stringing this one out aren't they?!

This is like the expenses scandal all over agian, just when you think it's all over the newspaper comes ot with more evidence to discredit the people involved.

If it's as explosive as the last two editions, FIFA's credibility will be shot to pieces, along with the credibility of the 2018/22 bid process.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #380
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFInsider View Post
It was today. So, he said about October, 31.
Thanks for that Mark
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread